Whey Protein: Beneficial to a diet?

• Just another random diet question I was wondering if anyone had any experience with. I like to buy whey protein tubs and make daily shakes because a friend of mine said it helped him build muscle and speed up his metabolism? I'm not sure how true that is but I just do it to make sure I'm getting extra protein as I have a lot of weight to lose and I'd also like to have some noticeable muscle mass when this is all said and done. So am I on the right path with this? I use 2 cups in a 16oz shake every morning with the mix and water. Is it worth my time or am I just blowing money? Assuming it is, does it matter what type I go with?
  • From everything I have read eating plenty of protein and doing strength training type exercises help maintain muscle mass while you lose weight.

I use whey protein powder in shakes for breakfast to help boost my protein intake. As long as you read the nutritional facts and make sure it isn't loaded with sugar or carbs it should be fine. I personally like the syntrax nectar flavors. 1 scoop is 100 calories and 23 grams of protein and 0 carbs. Because I mix mine into coffee I stick to the chocolate and vanilla flavors but I've heard great things about the oreo flavor (cookies n cream i think?)
  • I'd stay away from it—ain't natural.
    If you want a good source of protein, go for lean meats, eggs, and nuts. Compliment with veggies.