Breakfast options

• Hello! I'm new to the site as of last night, so please forgive me if there is a similar thread posted elsewhere. I'm not a big breakfast fan unless it's the stuff that's artery-clogging goodness... bacon, sausage, buttery hash browns, etc. Plus, I have a hard time eating breakfast because it gives me a belly ache. I have anxiety and mornings are always pretty high-strung for us. I know breakfast is important, but how important is it to eat "traditional" breakfast foods at breakfast? I'd rather have a tossed salad or even a few bites of leftover pasta instead of eggs or cereal. Any opinions or words of advice are welcome! thanks!
  • My suggestion is always to do what works for you. If you want to eat dinner for breakfast, then go for it. There is no reason why you're better off having cereal vs. leftovers. Also, I personally don't think having breakfast is a must. I actually prefer to eat later or no breakfast at all. I do what's called Intermittent Fasting and there's a thread on here for those of us who find it helps us control our food intake because we eat the same number of calories over a shorter time frame, so we get to experience a very full feeling that a lot of us crave.

On the other hand, if you find that when you don't eat breakfast, it back fires later on, then do make an effort. If I am hungry, I"ll have egg whites with veggies and salsa or I'll have a string cheese or some fresh berries in greek yogurt. Just thought I"d throw in some ideas.

Welcome!
  • Thank you! I appreciate the input! I will check out that Intermittent Fasting thing because sometimes I don't get lunch, especially at work. I'm a paraeducator and I'm often pulled from my regular schedule to cover sudden illnesses, meetings, etc. and I have been known to miss my lunch time because of it, and I definitely feel it (especially at night-I'm like a garbage disposal) on days when I skip breakfast.
  • Here is the link: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/gene...rt-thread.html

It's important to find what works for you because whatever studies I see posted about having a huge breakfast, smaller lunch and tiny dinner, I know that this type of a plan would NEVER suit me because I'm just hungrier at night than in the morning. As long as you stick to your calories, you can eat them in a shorter window of time and you'll still lose weight.
  • I have pretty traditional breakfasts

Scrambled or fried egg (not eggS), fruit, a piece of toast (if I have time)

A bowl of Puffins with milk and fruit, and 2 pieces of turkey sausage

Frozen meals (pancake w/sausage or french toast w/sausage)

That said, if I can eat breakfast for lunch or dinner, which I sometimes do, because I love breakfast, you can eat lunch and dinner foods for breakfast! (Aren't I generous to give you permission )

Seriously, I agree with luckymommy--do what works for you and try a few different things to find out what does work for you. The only thing I'm absolutely certain of is that there isn't a single definitive approach that works for everyone. There are too many psychological and physioligcal aspects to weight loss for there to be a single answer.

There are people who find skipping breakfast and eating an early lunch or mid-morning snack works better for them. There are others (like me) who always eat breakfast. Experiment--and go with your successes!