3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General Diet Plans and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions-10/)
-   -   Weight loss and more frequent menstruation? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/284031-weight-loss-more-frequent-menstruation.html)

SashimiTaco 06-27-2013 03:59 PM

Weight loss and more frequent menstruation?

I've been lurking for a while now and made an account because I can't seem to find a thread about my particular situation.

I am overweight and have taken up running and dieting, and since then my period has become more frequent, heavier, and lasts longer. I have found little bits and pieces of information about this on the web but cannot find any solid information about it. Usually it is covering how women lose their period when they are underweight (this has happened to me in the past, but now I am going from very overweight to average).

Is it normal to be losing weight from being overweight and having heavier periods. And if so, can someone tell me the science behind it? I read a little about how it makes your fat calls reduce and produce less estrogen.

If this is in the wrong area, I apologize.

Edit: I would like to add that my PMS has been extremely strong, emotionally. I exploded on my SO and it was so bad that he just laughed because I was simply so unreasonable. It was like watching from behind my eyes this angry person go nuts, while inside i was like "stop, stop being insane".

spryng 06-27-2013 06:58 PM

I'm not sure about heavier periods and more pms symptoms but I know estrogen is in our fat cells so as we lose the fat more estrogen is released. For me if I lose too fast ill get earlier periods or spot in between periods, longer periods etc. so I know that is normal.

SashimiTaco 06-28-2013 11:46 PM

Thanks for answering. Does anyone know anywhere I can read more about it?

I thought I just finished my period and (sorry i know it is gross) went to the bathroom and saw a whole new amount of blood. If this is because of my loss of fat, then I guess I should be happy.

Emma4545 06-29-2013 09:39 AM

I have had this happen a lot. I believe it could be excess estrogen in relations to progesterone from either burning fat or having a greater percentage of soy type foods when dieting. I believe what happens is that your progesterone is so low, when it falls below a certain point you get your period.. early.

I would suggest to you progesterone creme. It balances your hormones and when I use it, it pushes the period back to normal and also makes the flow a lighter. I got it on Amazon. There are plenty of reviews there. For me.. it worked wonders but I use it sparingly.

One of the prime factors in realizing that you are out of balance is bad PMS. That was the reason that I started taking it in the first place. My PMS was totally out of control. And for most of my life I didn't even know what PMS was. But, after using the progesterone creme... not only was it much better... it did seem like my body kind of adjusted itself. Now I only need the occasional use like every 5 months.

SashimiTaco 06-29-2013 04:23 PM

I'll look into the creme. I really appreciate the feedback. I hate not being in control of myself and having angry outbursts at my SO, as i consider that to be wrong to treat him that way.

Buffinlovin 06-29-2013 10:51 PM

I've been dieting for almost 2 months, and this past month my fiance told me I was...not unbearable, but definitely moody and easily angered by the smallest things. I was spotting frequently, and always had that kind of pressure feeling like I had my period....the kind that isn't painful, per se, but noticeable.

I'm hoping that as my body adjusts to losing weight, it gets less affected. Until then, I'm really hoping the mood swings stay in check...my poor fiance is walking on eggshells sometimes, and I feel bad for him >.<