General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/229/150

Height: 5' 6"

Default Juicing!

I'm not sure if anyone has talked about this before, but I was wondering if anyone on here juiced? And if so, have you come up with any GOOD recipies?

I bought a breville juicer, and have found myself hooked on it. The only thing is that I'm stuck on one drink, and I know if I stay with this one drink, I will get sick of juicing pretty damn fast.

I'm currently looking for a sweet green juice that doesn't have a bitter taste. I need to switch around my ratio of fruits to vegetables.

Anyone have any good concoctions that they've come up with?

My favorite:

- 2 carrots
- 1 apple
- 1/2 orange
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 inch long, 1/2 inch thick piece of ginger
nolightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Beets, cucumbers, are good, mix 'em in anyway you want.
Are you happy with your Breville ? I need a new juicer.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #3  

I really like my juicer, but it is my first one, so I don't really have much to go on.

It's definitely not as good as a masticating juicer would be, the pulp isn't as good as it could be. And it will spit your produce back at you if you don't cover it quickly enough. However, it transfers very little heat to your fruit and vegetables, so there is a low chance of you loosing enzymes and nutrients in the process.

And with beets and cucumbers, how do you jazz it up? I know if I just dunk those two in, I would most likely not be able to drink it.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #4  

I would add the cukes or beets to my apples and carrots. one or both depending on what I had on hand. I found that one cuke adds a real freshness taste to the juice. I have never tried ginger but it sounds good.
I almost always start with apple and carrot and add whatever I have on hand.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #5  

I just added celery to the mix. It was good, but it had that weird celery smell. I'll try adding a cucumber tomorrow. I have to slowly ease my way into beet territory, though. They are a bit intimidating.

Have you noticed any changes health wise since you started juicing?
Old 05-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #6  

Is your Breville easy to clean ?
PS I sometimes add a little parsley but not too much.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #7  

I really don't mind cleaning mine. I was going to insert a link, but I don't have enough posts. But I have the 'Breville BJE200XL Compact Juice Fountain 700-Watt Juice Extractor'.

You can't put a baggie in there to collect the pulp after. You have to lift the whole top off, scoop it out and wash every time. But I really don't mind. I would say though, if you have money to throw around, maybe aim for a better one. This one is really good, I'm in juicer love. But I don't reccomend putting in whole apples, or items with a thick outer...uh, coating? For example, apples. I put it in with the skin. But I notice that it doesn't really get all of the meat off close to the skin. Or oranges. It's good at juicing from the inner segments, but it doesn't always juice close to the pith. Does that make sense?

Regardless, I like it. I just brought some spinach today. So this should be interesting. I was also thinking about purchasing Chia seeds to throw in, just to get some fiber.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #8  
Procrastinator

S/C/G: 161/151.6/130

Height: 5'4"

I LOVE green juice!!

1 big bunch kale
2 apples
2 pears
chunk of ginger
1/2 lime

I did a two week juice fast and it literally changed my life. I had some severe auto immune issues and it helped unbelievably.
MadKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #9  
weight room rookie

S/C/G: 267/233/150

Height: 5'5"

My go-to green juice: (makes roughly 3-4 cups of juice)

1 handful spinach
6 leaves of kale (more if the leaves/stems are on the small side)
lemon to taste*
1 thumb-sized piece of ginger
1 large hothouse cucumber
1 zucchini
4 stalks celery
1 spear of pineapple

*I put "to taste" because I've been tinkering with lemon ratios for this one. I started out with a whole small lemon, which was like drinking super tart green lemonade. Then I did 1/2 a lemon, which was still too lemony for the mix. I've found what I like is to half a lemon, then take one half and cut it into quarters. 1/4 usually does the trick, but I'll do a quick taste and add more, depending on the size of the lemon I used.

I've been juicing for about 3 weeks, not as a juice-only fast, but for breakfasts and dinners, which are usually my two "I'm not hungry" meals of the day that I tend to skip. I don't have the usual brain-fog that I normally do in the mornings and in the evenings I don't have the cravings to snack on junk because I have something in my stomach.

Quote:
Have you noticed any changes health wise since you started juicing?
I have these patches of dry skin on the tops of my cheeks. I haven't done anything different skincare-wise, but I think loading up on pineapple, ginger and cucumber have helped. They're still there, but the spots aren't as flakey and my face doesn't look like I'm constantly blushing any more.
Issaknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #10  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I o a juice fast two non-consecutive days a week, I love it!
I missed it while on vacation with my mom, glad to be back on.

I like carrot, apple, orange, cucumber. I've used pineapple, mango, kale, ginger, beets, usually try whatever might be in season, usually throw in an orange in the am.

For on the go meals we stock low sodium V8 and the fruity one that's all juice, not Splash, I forget the name at the moment.

Also sometimes on my fast day I'll make a strictly veggie salad. Reboot has good recipes for juices, veggie salads and soups.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 340/316/160

Height: 5'4"

I have a Black and Decker juicer and found some great combinations.

1 full carrot
handful of spinach
half of a cucumber
four strawberries
3/4 of a tomato
and half of a apple
vatermelon is offline   Reply With Quote