General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 12:54 AM   #1  
Lil Hippie Vegan Mommy

Question How Many Others????

I am new here, so I was wondering how many others were Vegans or Vegetarians? I am a born-again Vegan I was a locto-ovo when I was young...in high school...I just went total vegan a little over a month ago...I feel great and am so excited about my new life!
Old 05-30-2003, 11:19 AM   #2  
caffeine free!

Hello. I am pretty new here also. I am currently a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I was pretty serious about it for ten years (through high school and college) and then fell off the wagon in law school. Since graduation I have gotten back on board. Feel better laready.

I was a vegan for about three months back in college. It felt great and gave me a very good sense of what I was eating (looking in the ingredients list for whey). I am going to be going off of egss soon and phasing out dairy a little more slowly. It is so much easier to keep under my limit on fat grams without having animal fats in my diet.

Do you take calcium supplements, or do you get your calcium through vegetables? That was always the most difficult thing for me to do without supplements. The protien and iron never seemed to be a problem (especially after I read diet for a small planet, grin), but the calcium...
Old 06-03-2003, 02:09 AM   #3  
Lil Hippie Vegan Mommy

I am still nursing my two year old son, so I still take pre-natal vitmns. I also take a Coral Calcium ontop of that. I never have had a problem with protein because I LOVE tofu! I find creative ways to use it all the time.

My two year old is also a vegan, and because he is not a veggie eater, I have to give him a liquid calcium supplement. Nasty chalky stuff...but HE loves it
Old 06-04-2003, 10:10 AM   #4  
caffeine free!

My best friend has a son who is now 7 who has always been a vegetarian. He just would never eat meat, even before he knew where it came from. My friend had a really hard time with some of her pedeatricians who kept telling her he had to eat some meat. Finally she found a new doctor who thought that it was fantastic that he is a vegetarian. Now that he understands that meat comes from animals he gets very indignant when people eat meat. Very cute.

Yep, I find that between the tofu and the legumes there is no shortage of protien in plant matter.
Closed Thread