3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General Diet Plans and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions-10/)
-   -   Intuitive Eating #18 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/281929-intuitive-eating-18-a.html)

carolr3639 06-01-2013 05:20 PM

Sure are a lot of people talking about the no diet plan.

pattygirl63 06-03-2013 10:08 PM

I have the No Diet book. Although it is called for No Diet, I felt it was just another diet book.

I am really enjoying my IE/IF way of eating now. Weight loss is very slow, but fasting blood sugar is steadily improving. I am very pleased. I'm still using the Allen Carr cd when I go to bed at night and I really believe it is helping me.

I try to eat starchy carbs only once a day, but one day last week I got so hungry, craving nachos. We had gone out to eat at Chili's and I wanted nachos but didn't get them. I ate something else. Well when I got home the desire for the nachos just would not go away and it was so strong a desire that I decided to go ahead and have it eve though it would be 2 starchy carb meals in one day. I was so surprised to find that once I had eaten about 1/3 of what I normally would have eaten that I didn't want any more. I put it down the garbage disposal. IE at work. What an experience. I felt so good and thrilled with the results. Free to what I want and eat only as much as I wanted and no more feels great. I was free to break the rule because it was not a rule written in stone (it is my rule no one elses) and I had no guilt afterwards. :carrot: Great accomplishment for me.

Carolr I pray you are feeling better each day and have a quick recovery.

geoblewis 06-03-2013 10:47 PM

Today I had a great day, with regards to intuitive eating. I spent several hours on the road, driving home from Los Angeles. Nearly 7 hours of driving usually leaves me a neurotic mess. I usually stop along the way to pick up food to numb the discomfort and anxiety of the whole drive, and to help me stay alert.

I didn't need any of that today! I started off with an adequate breakfast. I brought enough to drink for the trip. I did some shoulder and arm stretching exercises as I drove, did some Pilates-like core work in my seat. I stopped twice for a bathroom break and took a little time to stretch more completely. And the most important thing was to keep telling myself that I do NOT get safety from nibbling all the way home. In fact, I sat in the car and said that, over and over, about 50 times, until I believed it in my body.

So I made it home, ate appropriately and didn't feel stressed at all when I arrived. I'm looking forward to a simple dinner and a good night's sleep! I feel like I was victorious today!

carolr3639 06-04-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

And the most important thing was to keep telling myself that I do NOT get safety from nibbling all the way home. In fact, I sat in the car and said that, over and over, about 50 times, until I believed it in my body.
What an accomplishment!

pattygirl63 06-04-2013 07:56 PM

Great accomplishment Georgia. Those things empowers us to do well again and again.

skelley331 06-04-2013 10:15 PM

I just finished reading the Overfed Head and it makes so much sense. Eat when your hungry, eat what you want, stop when you're full!!! I'm starting tomorrow! :carrot:

carolr3639 06-05-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

I just finished reading the Overfed Head
My favorite IE book.

PreciousMissy 06-05-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoblewis (Post 4762080)
I usually stop along the way to pick up food to numb the discomfort and anxiety of the whole drive, and to help me stay alert.

I never thought about it, but I do the same thing too! Thinking back on road trips, I would make sure to pack enough snacks. I would eat them out of boredom, not because I was hungry. I'm going to have to pay attention to this the next time I drive a long distance!

SouthernMaven 06-05-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PreciousMissy (Post 4763472)
I never thought about it, but I do the same thing too! Thinking back on road trips, I would make sure to pack enough snacks. I would eat them out of boredom, not because I was hungry. I'm going to have to pay attention to this the next time I drive a long distance!

I find this so interesting, because the car is one of the very few places I rarely eat! For some reason I do not care to eat in the car, either as a driver OR passenger. It doesn't make me sick or anything, I just never developed that habit. Which surprises me, frankly.

I do a fair amount of long-distance driving, but I generally only drink black coffee. I enjoy stopping and eating a full meal on the days that I drive long distances, but I don't snack. I will also drink water, so of course I have to stop relatively often, but I need to do that to stretch my legs anyway.

Georgia, I think that was a major victory for you! Congratulations!

carolr3639 06-05-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

And the most important thing was to keep telling myself that I do NOT get safety from nibbling all the way home. In fact, I sat in the car and said that, over and over, about 50 times, until I believed it in my body.
I thought about it and realized eating does have a calming effect. Hunger makes me anxious and eating calms. I never thought about it.

skelley331 06-05-2013 08:42 PM

Today was my first day not on a diet and so far so good, I have only ate when I've been hungry and actually stopped when I felt satisfied, wow! And it's 8:41 p.m. and by now I have usually had a big bowl of ice cream, then some chips, and some nuts but so far I've had nothing because i'm NOT hungry!! :cp::cp:

jennybee 06-06-2013 08:35 AM

Hi everyone, I've been reading through this thread and it feels like it might be the right place for me. I have always had a twisted relationship with food, I overeat and emotional eat way too much. I really want to fix this and be the kind of person who doesn't think so much about food and what they're going to eat next.

I am still counting calories at the moment to make sure I don't go overboard, but I am trying to stop planning ahead and freaking out. Instead I am just waiting until I get hungry, then eating something, and then stopping. Seems so simple, but it's SO hard to relearn your whole approach to food.

skelley331 06-06-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennybee (Post 4764560)
Hi everyone, I've been reading through this thread and it feels like it might be the right place for me. I have always had a twisted relationship with food, I overeat and emotional eat way too much. I really want to fix this and be the kind of person who doesn't think so much about food and what they're going to eat next.

I am still counting calories at the moment to make sure I don't go overboard, but I am trying to stop planning ahead and freaking out. Instead I am just waiting until I get hungry, then eating something, and then stopping. Seems so simple, but it's SO hard to relearn your whole approach to food.

Welcome, I know what you mean I was at that same place and then I just read IE but I feel that the book The overfed Head puts it more in perspective and it's much quicker and simpler to read. I've lost 2.6 lbs eating what I want, when i'm hungry, and stop when i'm satisfied. goodluck:carrot:

PreciousMissy 06-06-2013 10:52 AM

Welcome skelley331 and jennybee!

Yesterday I did great! I went out to lunch with a friend and the portions were huge! I ate until I was satisfied. I knew I was getting full so I even took the time to decide what I wanted most for my last bite! I packaged the rest up and took it back to work.

Around 4:30 I was hungry so I decided to eat the lunch leftovers. Again, I ate until I was satisfied, and tossed the little that was left (it wasn't enough to bother saving).

Then I went home.

I wasn't even hungry, but I ate. My boyfriend wanted Chinese for dinner and when it was delivered it smelled soooo good! I ate like I hadn't seen food all day!

I know it wasn't emotional eating. It was just pure "it smells good and I want some" eating.

Today is a new day and I am going to put forth a bit more will power to eat only when hungry.

SouthernMaven 06-06-2013 12:33 PM

Welcome skelley331 and jennybee! So glad you've decided to join us!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennybee (Post 4764560)
I really want to fix this and be the kind of person who doesn't think so much about food and what they're going to eat next.

My ultimate goal is to completely eliminate thinking about food until I realize I'm hungry and need to eat. I'm not there yet, but I'm making progress!