General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #391  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi All. Checking in. I am eating pretty much what I want eating low carb but not too low and using WW Points Plus to get portions under control and it is working beautifully. Put ticker back on. My weight and my fasting blood sugar is steadily coming down. I am enjoying the fact that I don't feel stuffed all the time and I am sleeping good at night and tired all the time like I used to be. Really is nice.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #392  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

I'm so glad that is working for you Trish!

I think my body is going through a lose stop phase.. so I'll lose for a few days then hold at that weight for a week or two then lose lose stop again, I'm assuming its just because I'm so close to my goal my body is naturally slowing down, which is ok with me, I'm pretty happy with how I look these days, just need to start toning up now.
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #393  

Spryng You are doing great and I'm sure the slowing down lose stop thing is your body adjusting to the new you. You've done well.

I'm using the IE principles with the WWPP and lower carb combination. And it is working well for me. I've taken some of my diet weaknesses and turned them into strengths to help me keep doing what I'm doing.
Example, I know I'm going to weigh everyday. Since I have to keep record of my fasting blood sugar and I've always kept a record of my weight and blood pressure too since diagnosed diabetic. I got me a graph paper notebook and graph my weight. My scale weighs to .2 lb and so I get to see the scale moving downward rather than thinking that I'm not losing or doing anything. Remember my weight loss is important for reversing diabetes. In fact, I read in newest WW magazine of a woman who did just that. So while many say in IE that weight loss isn't important, well, for me IT IS because it is life and death for a diabetic. I am tracking everything I eat along with the graphing so that I can see how some food affect my weight. Example, I am sensitive to too much sodium. Sometime a slight gain isn't weight but water due to the fact that I've had some extra sodium that I didn't realize I was getting.

My goal is to get off the meds that I am on and to be healthy at a healthy weight for me. I'm so grateful to know about IE and that I can work it with any plan especially the one I'm on.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #394  

S/C/G: 212/156/145

Height: 5' 4"

Brand spanking new here. I promise I will go back through the 27 pages. But is "intuitive eating" what I think it is?

IOW, I right now am not following any specific plan but first incorporating what is easy for my current mindset. Like I wasn't drinking sodas anyway, so it was easy to drop the horrid iced tea mix and go to water which dropped empty calories and also carbs. Also dropped my "meat holder bread" and just went to meat rollups instead of sandwiches so that was easy. And also if I don't buy cookies and candy, I can't eat them. That's plenty easy when you, just honestly, don't want to pay for that crap.

I figure as I go on, I may have to follow something particular or something to help me along.

So is that what "intuitive eating" is? Cos I'm glad I have a name for it now.

Last edited by Mad Donnelly; 10-18-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Mad Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #395  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Donnelly View Post
Brand spanking new here. I promise I will go back through the 27 pages. But is "intuitive eating" what I think it is?

IOW, I right now am not following any specific plan but first incorporating what is easy for my current mindset. Like I wasn't drinking sodas anyway, so it was easy to drop the horrid iced tea mix and go to water which dropped empty calories and also carbs. Also dropped my "meat holder bread" and just went to meat rollups instead of sandwiches so that was easy. And also if I don't buy cookies and candy, I can't eat them. That's plenty easy when you, just honestly, don't want to pay for that crap.

I figure as I go on, I may have to follow something particular or something to help me along.

So is that what "intuitive eating" is? Cos I'm glad I have a name for it now.
Welcome, Mad Donnelly! (love your screen name!)

While what you're doing is certainly a good thing, intuitive eating isn't so much about restricting any particular food items as it is about listening to your body's hunger and fullness cues.

1. Eat when you're hungry
2. Stop when you're full
3. Eat what you want, not what you think you need
4. Eat without distractions and savor your food

Definitely try and go back and read some of the previous posts, but to give you an idea of what IE is all about, I suggest you read The Overfed Head by Rob Stevens. It's a pdf book that you can read right on your computer, and I think it's probably the best explanation of the concept from someone who's lost a great deal of weight following its principles.

Google Overfed Head pdf and the link to the book will come right up.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #396  

Thank you, Southern Maven. That makes sense.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #397  

I'm down another lb today, so excited to see the scale move again. I stayed busy today as well, we took the kids Halloween costume shopping so that included eating lunch out so we had Mexican. I had a few chips with queso and a few bites of my enchilada and I was satisfied, not stuffed, just satisfied which always feels so good to leave a restaurant not needing to be rolled out lol
Trish, I think it's great that you are losing the weight for your health and to reverse diabetes. Are you on a pill or insulin? No one in my family takes their diabetes seriously, my mom may lose her foot due to a sore not healing etc and yet she still eats anything and everything and I worry about her. So I'm very impressed with your mindset.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #398  

Spryng Congratulations on the lb gone. I only take Metformin for blood sugar. It isn't supposed to cause hypoglycemia drops. I understand it is supposed to keep me from any damage from diabetes while I work to get it under control. I am working very hard to get my numbers back to normal. I don't want to have to deal with any diabetic problems.

Well, no WW pts counting or any other counting. No matter how you define it, it is still a diet and keeps me thinking about food wwwwaaaayyyy too much. Causes me to obsess with food, think of good and bad foods and also it didn't take me long to revert back to "diet" thinking which caused me to eat things I don't want like sugar free and fat free foods which I don't think are healthy at least not for me. Even found myself thinking that I HAD to eat breakfast even when I wasn't hungry for it. Just too much "diet" history to mess with my mind to combine WW with IE. So I think I can do better with straight IE.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #399  

I agree Trish, anytime you start cutting things out because they are high in pts, or calories or carbs, fat etc it keeps us in the diet mentality. The only thing in my house that is fat free is our milk and only because I prefer the taste, not because of the calorie content, everything else is real food and I'm so glad to be able to lose weight on REAL food But it really is hard to just discard so many years of dieting and diet knowledge, I still struggle with it myself, skipping cheese dip to favor salsa because I know it's lower in calories or leaving cheese off my sandwhich because it will lower the calories.. just things that over the years become a habit because we've done them so long. It really is baby steps with IE, unlearning is even harder than learning! But you can do it each day just really get in tune with your hunger signals, I put sticky notes on my fridge and pantry doors that says, Are you TRULY hungry? so it makes me stop and guage myself when I just want to eat something just for the sake of eating something. I would love to say I'm doing IE 100% but we are human and mistakes happen but I definitely try each and every day and its paying off, so you don't have to do IE perfectly to get results, just try and it adds up
Old 10-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #400  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks - I haven't posted for a while... been so busy. A new grandson! I've been out of town. My stepmom had a bad accident (in another different city). I have been running here there and everywhere. I did do some stress eating. Yesterday I was mindful of feeling hunger and fullness. I did my meditation.

My jaw joint popped out - and have pain there. So I am needing to eat soft food as it heals.

It is what it is.

I will move forward working on really feeling hunger and fullness. I will concentrate on eating slowly and really tasting my food. I really need to learn/practice how to not use food to sooth emotions. It's a struggle to focus on the 'feeling hungry' part when the other is what I've done for years to deal with life. I will keep trying.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 10-23-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #401  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spryng View Post
I'm down another lb today, so excited to see the scale move again. I stayed busy today as well, we took the kids Halloween costume shopping so that included eating lunch out so we had Mexican. I had a few chips with queso and a few bites of my enchilada and I was satisfied, not stuffed, just satisfied which always feels so good to leave a restaurant not needing to be rolled out lol
Wow! I am speechless looking at your stats! You are so below your goal! Every once in a while I scan around through the forums, being inspired by the success of others. Congratulations are definately in order!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #402  

Down another lb. Getting close to what my license says I weigh.
So I have a question.

I know we're all different, but I have a question about something I truly do not know. How often SHOULD we eat? I know, eat when hungry. But if that's the problem you're having, I think it's helpful to get an idea of when I'm SUPPOSED to be hungry.

Like I guess I want to know what people do who aren't DREAMING of food, who don't obsess over what's going to happen to that last dinner roll in the basket. I'm still learning not to go graze even just after I ate a large salad and seared tuna that filled me up. Still in my head "full" is eating as much bread and pasta as I can stuff in. If I'm dreaming of making gooey chocolate desserts (with the idea of me eating the entire thing, mind you, not just a slice), then clearly in my head I still think I can go back to eating like that when I'm maintaining.

Last edited by Mad Donnelly; 10-25-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #403  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mad Donnolly - I can understand your issues. When you are used to overeating it is difficult to recognize hunger cues. Some people get hungry 3-4 hours after a meal and some go as long as 5-6 hours. It depends on what and how much you ate at the last meal. This chart shows different degrees of hunger. You should never eat past a 5. And you should never let yourself get to a 1 or 2. This is my opinion. Some people may disagree. I feel that if you get to a 1 or 2 you will gorge yourself because you are starving. It takes time to learn to recognize the cues. You have to learn the difference between "I'm hungry" and "I want to eat that." And sometimes you are just thirsty. I am just learning this too, since I have been a grazer for so long.

Hunger Rating Chart

10 Absolutely Stuffed, Miserable
9 So full you are starting to hurt
8 Very full
7 Starting to feel uncomfortable
6 Slightly overeating
5 Perfectly comfortable
4 First signals that it is time to eat
3 Strong signals to eat
2 Very hungry, irritable
1 Extreme hunger, dizziness

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-25-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #404  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Wow! I am speechless looking at your stats! You are so below your goal! Every once in a while I scan around through the forums, being inspired by the success of others. Congratulations are definately in order!
Thank you so much! Yeah it's been a long journey and I'm in new territory that is for sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Donnelly View Post
Down another lb. Getting close to what my license says I weigh.
So I have a question.

I know we're all different, but I have a question about something I truly do not know. How often SHOULD we eat? I know, eat when hungry. But if that's the problem you're having, I think it's helpful to get an idea of when I'm SUPPOSED to be hungry.

Like I guess I want to know what people do who aren't DREAMING of food, who don't obsess over what's going to happen to that last dinner roll in the basket. I'm still learning not to go graze even just after I ate a large salad and seared tuna that filled me up. Still in my head "full" is eating as much bread and pasta as I can stuff in. If I'm dreaming of making gooey chocolate desserts (with the idea of me eating the entire thing, mind you, not just a slice), then clearly in my head I still think I can go back to eating like that when I'm maintaining.
For me I still tend to eat 3 meals a day, I think our bodies get used to eating at certain time periods too because for me I'm hungry at 7, 11 and 5ish each day and I know some of that is psuedo hunger, just my body being on a schedule and growling for food even though it could probably wait longer but I just eat when my stomach growls, somedays I do skip breakfast because it just never growls and I'm working and don't think about it and by lunch it's letting me know it wants something NOW lol

Well I have BIG news to share! I hit goal on friday! I would have posted friday but I went out of town for the weekend, but I'm 115 lbs! I can't believe it! I did reward myself with a new outfit as my jeans were getting baggy anyway so I went shopping on my way out of town and bought size 3 jeans and a small top.. my jaw about hit the floor when the 3's slid on so easily.. I haven't been this thin since highschool! I'm so proud of myself and I'm even more happy that IE got me there, not some crazy diet that would be hard to get off of in fear of piling the weight back on.. so now I get to tackle a new beast.. maintenance! Not sure how IE and maintenance will work since I only eat when I"m hungry and stop when I'm satisfied so my body might think 115 is not my goal and continue to lose but I'm just gonna listen and follow my bodies cue.. and I know in the overfed head book that guy had a goal and IE took him way under it before his body naturally stopped losing and started maintaining. For me though I'm going to start toning more regularly, I have plenty of problem areas to work on so maybe the extra exercise will increase my appetite just enough to just maintain, we'll see.. this new journey begins
Old 10-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #405  

Here is a pic from friday I took in the dressing room, size 3 jeans and small top, at goal 115 lbs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goal.jpg (19.2 KB, 30 views)