General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I have to step in and speak on behalf of sleep. In a society where we deprive ourselves of so much sleep already I'd suggest not cutting out any sleep at all. A fully grown woman should be getting minimum 7hrs sleep per night. There are numerous studies that link lack of sleep to obesity.
ITA! It sounds like you are already pushing it to get enough sleep.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #17  

Agreed. I read "sleep time" as maybe she was sleeping a lot. You need proper nutrition, exercise and sleep to lose weight.

Last edited by RaggedyAnne; 04-28-2013 at 11:26 AM.
RaggedyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 201/154.6/135

Height: 5'6"

I love HIIT, it's basically a ratio of high intensity exercise to lower intensity. For example, right now I spent two weeks doing 3 HIIT workouts a week where I sprinted full out for 1 minute and then walked fast for 2 minutes and did this 6 times. I'm still in the beginning phase but the whole idea is that you're doing intervals but at a more intense level than say just increasing the incline for a little while. It's supposed to rev up metabolism and increase cardio endurance while blasting fat. Definitely increases the effectiveness of a small amount of time. I suggest googling it and doing some research!
CaityCait88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #19  

Ahri, where did you go??
Old 05-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkharmaz View Post
Don't choose any activity just because it helps you burn more calories or is thought to be best of the cardio exercises. Don't run if you don't like it, o for an activity which you enjoy. If swimming or bicycling pleases you more then go for it. You can do these activities twice or thrice a week and once start doing what you enjoy; you won't feel bored or exhausted.
True. In re-thinking this over the past few days, HIIT may not be the right choice for you right now. I think it's much more important to find effective cardio that you can stick with long term. If you can stick with 30 mins of stair mill, treadmill or cross-trainer for 30 min 4-5 days a week and a year from now you're still doing it, that's a huge success. I would still like to see you add 10 mins or so of free weights 4-5 days a week and if you're consistent for a length of time on both, then go from there.

Last edited by RaggedyAnne; 05-01-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

And let's be realistic, not everyone is meant to become an athlete just because they want to lose some weight. It's not about how drastic you are with exercise, it's about how consistent you are.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
And let's be realistic, not everyone is meant to become an athlete just because they want to lose some weight. It's not about how drastic you are with exercise, it's about how consistent you are.
And not everyone WANTS to become an athlete to lose some weight! Maybe that's why HIIT is not the best choice for her. Consistency and long term is one of the keys to success. If she continued doing her current program for the next five years, that would be much more beneficial than her quitting in 6 months because she hates the cardio and/or exercises she chose. As you probably know, the tortoise wins the race.

Last edited by RaggedyAnne; 05-01-2013 at 09:44 PM.