Went to an FA meeting yesterday!

• I have been looking for ways to lose weight and keep it off. I am tired of looking and feeling the way I do. There are times when I do believe that I am addicted to food, especially chocolate. I found a support group Food Addicts Anonymous and went to a meeting yesterday. Although I did enjoy the meeting and could relate to much of what I heard there the thought of going totally off of flour and sugar is a bit scary.

Has anyone here ever tried FA? I am just curious. I want to attend some more meetings before making the decision about joining.
  • My sister joined CEA-HOW which is similar to FA and lost a ton of weight. But yes, you're right--the going totally off of flour and sugar seems a bit extreme, but at the same time, there's good research and reasoning behind it.

Have you looked into regular OA (Overeaters Anonymous)? It's philosophy is less stringent and focuses more on finding a balanced way of eating consistently--no binging or eating those "trigger foods" that make you more likely to binge.

I think part of the FA philosophy is that simple flour and sugar are detrimental to most humans' weight and health. And there is tons of research to back this up. I fully support removing or significantly reducing the amount of carb/sugar intake. Whether to make it part of an addiction support group....I'm not sure.

For my sister, a program that prohibits flour and sugar was what she needed. She doesn't work, so she had time to prepare all of her fruits and vegetables and proteins. And, she needed a LOT of structure/limitations.

I'd say look into OA and Greysheeters as well and then figure out what will work best for you.
  • I am doing the FA program and it is great. The no flour and sugar is hard at the start but find the longer I am at it the easier it becomes and I love all the support of the fellowship
  • Hi Peeps,
    I just thought you might be interested in this youtube. It lays out the Sugar White flour problem the best I've ever heard it and gives a plan to reset Insulin resistance. It's a little long but so worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sulp6NqnTgo