General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #136  

S/C/G: 317/308/250

Height: 6'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghardeway View Post
@roho42 - Good luck today! I did the three day prep over the Easter holiday weekend and didn't think to plan ahead like you have. Looking back if I had I would not have floundered so. I belive the prep was a much needed mental "reboot" for me. I am interested to know your feelings about the necessity of the prep once you finish it. Please share.
well planning ahead didn't matter much because i had forgotten about a party friday night that we left for as soon as i got home and i was absolutely miserable and starving. i had no energy and was in a rotten mood. i felt like i was hypo glycemic even though my blood sugar was high considering i hadn't eaten any carbs of note. I suspect this was my body releasing glycogen stores. regardless i gave up because it was only day one and i was miserable to be around. day one needs to be in isolation.

i'm going into the program w/out the startup but with a water flush because i've eaten horribly while on the plan and recovered nicely with the flush. we'll see how this goes.

Quote:
I weighed in today and I'm down one pound- three &1/2 total swoon! The weight continued to come off while noshing on power crunch bars! HEB is promoting power crunch bars 5for $5.00 this week. I stocked up.

I thought i'd spend all the money i saved eating non QWLC goods with a Mani/Pedi (LOL)
Cool! What is HEB?

BTW, I too would love the recipes. We should find a site to post them on. Maybe i'll start a free blog site or something to post them.
roho42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #137  

Height: 5'9"

I hope everyone had a fun and healthy holiday weekend! I am feeling good after WI today. I am down 31lbs and in the 250s!! Yes I like to celebrate the little victories

I did the break week last week and now they have moved me down to Plan 3. To be honest I can't say I followed the break plan fully. I actually did not eat enough. I tried to eat all the protein, but veggies were maybe 1 serving a day. I also discovered the Quest bars last week and sometimes ate one as a meal and sometimes ate 2 a day. It was just more convenient. I seemed to be on the go go go last week. I did drink my water and get most of my supplements in. But honestly every week I miss pills here and there, especially the Release.

As for the Quest bars, I am switching to these because I think they have the healthiest ingredients available in a bar that compares to the QWLC bars. The fact that they use stevia and no soy are big selling points for me. My dr. did advise me to limit the amount of soy in my diet because of its affects on hormones. Yes these bars are pricey, but I am thinking since Quest is loaded with fiber, you may not need to take the additional fiber supplement. I think the only retail store they can purchased at is GNC, but they sell them individually so you can sample before you buy in bulk. Also I used this coupon there to save even more http://content.gnc.com/coupons/COUPO...rice_20798.pdf
i will lose weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #138  

Hang in there Roho! I have not done a water flush, but I did loose 9lbs on the prep and that was a huge motivator for me to stay with the plan in the beginning. Tips that worked for me...a rotisserie chicken from Sam's on day one, and NY strip steaks day 2 and 3. If I could have found some good fresh shrimp, I probably would have eaten boiled shrimp for a whole day
Old 05-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #139  

Quote:
roho42- I am glad the water flush empowered you to keep going forward.
HEB is a grcery store chain here in Texas (sorry).

The recipes I have are rough but I managed to work around them & adjust them to fit QWLC's protocol. I can send them to you, but again they will have to be adjusted somewhat. What is your email address? I am happy to share them.
rhollinger at bellsouth dot net

thanks!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #140  

Quote:
Originally Posted by i will lose weight View Post
I hope everyone had a fun and healthy holiday weekend! I am feeling good after WI today. I am down 31lbs and in the 250s!! Yes I like to celebrate the little victories

I did the break week last week and now they have moved me down to Plan 3. To be honest I can't say I followed the break plan fully. I actually did not eat enough. I tried to eat all the protein, but veggies were maybe 1 serving a day. I also discovered the Quest bars last week and sometimes ate one as a meal and sometimes ate 2 a day. It was just more convenient. I seemed to be on the go go go last week. I did drink my water and get most of my supplements in. But honestly every week I miss pills here and there, especially the Release.

As for the Quest bars, I am switching to these because I think they have the healthiest ingredients available in a bar that compares to the QWLC bars. The fact that they use stevia and no soy are big selling points for me. My dr. did advise me to limit the amount of soy in my diet because of its affects on hormones. Yes these bars are pricey, but I am thinking since Quest is loaded with fiber, you may not need to take the additional fiber supplement. I think the only retail store they can purchased at is GNC, but they sell them individually so you can sample before you buy in bulk. Also I used this coupon there to save even more http://content.gnc.com/coupons/COUPO...rice_20798.pdf
I_will_lose_weight- congrats on your progress! I am so happy for you. I am also glad to know that there is another QuestBar fan here. I tried the cinnamon roll and didn't like it as much as the chocolate cookie dough. What other flavors do you recommend? Wow- You ate two bars occasionally and managed to still drop? I am suppose to start the 7-Day Break this week, great info.. I will eat two a day this week, smile. Thanks for the coupon-internet sleuth!!!but the link to the coupon doesn't work.. what kind of search did you do to pull it up? I really want one to. any advice is is appreciated. BTW-my SmartStyx arrived (thanks again) and your so right they are exactly the same down to the packaging! You rock!

Last edited by ghardeway; 05-28-2013 at 11:12 PM.
ghardeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #141  

Quote:
I_will_lose_weight- congrats on your progress! I am so happy for you. I am also glad to know that there is another QuestBar fan here. I tried the cinnamon roll and didn't like it as much as the chocolate cookie dough. What other flavors do you recommend? Wow- You ate two bars occasionally and managed to still drop? I am suppose to start the 7-Day Break this week, so i this is great info.. I will eat two a day this week, smile.
I recieved my SmartStyx (thanks again) and your so right they are exactly the same down to the packaging! You rock!
I've heard several people mention the 7 day break. is this a new part of the plan? i'm not familiar with it...or maybe it's a regional thing?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #142  

Found this recipe published in a thread on ObesityHelp dot com titled "Wanna Be Quest Bar" for simple EZ homemade copycat Quest Bars that don't need to be refrigerated if baked. Fiber 500 is sold on netrition.

#1- Vanilla Almond Bar (makes 2 bars)

2 Tablespoons Trader Joe's raw almond Butter ( I put salt in mine)
2 Tablespoons Torani almond sugar free syrup ( or SF syrup flavor of choice)
1 scoop Nectar sweets Vanilla Bean Torte protein powder ( or Optimum Nutrition unflavored any whey)
1/4 cup Golden flax meal (made with Bob's Red Mill) OR 1/4 cup oat fiber 500- this would reduce the fat and carb stats and add a bit more fiber. OR a combo of both flax and oat fiber500.

Put the two TB almond butter in a cereal bowl. Add one Tablespoon of the almond syrup and stir. Sprinkle in the one scoop of protein powder and stir, add the second Tablespoon of almond syrup, stir. Finally add the golden flax meal and stir. It should be very stiff and hold it's shape.

Sprinkle a little ground flax on the cutting board and flatten the cookie dough down to desired thickness. Using a biscuit cutter make two cookies. Or make a bar- up to you. Wrap in plastic and freeze for 1 hour.

stats per bar using the stuff I used tonight :

205 calories per cookie
19 gram protein per cookie
13 grams fat per cookie
1 gram sugar per cookie
5.25 grams fiber per cookie
7 total carbs
1.75 net carbs

Recipe # 2- Better N Peanut Butter bars (makes two bars)

2 Tablespoons Better N Peanut Butter
1/4 cup golden flax meal (Bob's Red Mill seeds) OR 1/4 cup Oat Fiber 500
1 scoop Nectar sweets Vanilla Bean Torte protein powder
2 Tablespoons Da Vinci sugar free Peanut Butter syrup

Add the two TB Better N Peanut Butter to a small bowl. Add one TB of the peanut butter syrup and stir, it will be a bit sticky. Add the protein powder a little at a time and stire then add the other TB of PB syrup and stir some more. Finally add the 1/4 golden flax meal and stir it up.

Sprinkle a little flax on counter and plop the dough out. Use a biscuit cutter to make two cookies or a bar mold. Wrap in plastic and freeze for 1 to 2 hours. Then just keep in the refrigerator.

stats per Peanut butter bar:

160 calories per bar
17 grams protein

5.5 grams fat
1 gram sugar
4.75 grams fiber
total carbs per bar 10.5
net carbs per bar 5.75

I pressed in .5 TB of nut topping per cookie to these from "First Street" I didn't factor that in though it's just an extra crunchy bit if you can spare a few extra fat calories for the day.

Edited to add that after freezing an hour I baked the vanilla almond cookies in the regular oven at low temp on highest rack for up to 10minutes. Nice and chewy with some crunch and good to grab and go. Or just eat cookie dough unbaked.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #143  

Quote:
No if i understood the counselors & paperwork the 7 day break is part of the program - every 7-9 weeks to reset the metabolism.
interesting because i was on the program for about 6 months the last time and never officially did a 7 day break. do you have the details? is it "eat what you want" for 7 days or just less strict?

I think I was doing something similar because about every week or two I would have a "cheat" day which seemed to keep me from plateauing but it wasn't part of the program
Old 05-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #144  

Thanks, Ghardeway for all the great recipes. I am going to pick up the quest bars today. I NEED the fiber. Like I said I am on the old qwlc plan from years ago, but I am trying to step it up. I seems I have lost lots of inches. but not the pounds. Anyone else have this happening. So upsetting! Its great to look better,but need the scale to go down. I am thinking about going on ip diet. Looking it over.
sallycl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #145  

Quote:
roho42- I am glad the water flush empowered you to keep going forward.
HEB is a grcery store chain here in Texas (sorry).

The recipes I have are rough but I managed to work around them & adjust them to fit QWLC's protocol. I can send them to you, but again they will have to be adjusted somewhat. What is your email address? I am happy to share them.
congrats on your weight loss!
sallycl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #146  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallycl View Post
Thanks, Ghardeway for all the great recipes. I am going to pick up the quest bars today. I NEED the fiber. Like I said I am on the old qwlc plan from years ago, but I am trying to step it up. I seems I have lost lots of inches. but not the pounds. Anyone else have this happening. So upsetting! Its great to look better,but need the scale to go down. I am thinking about going on ip diet. Looking it over.
congrats on losing inches. are you also exercising? if you are gaining muscle mass then who cares if you aren't losing on the scale yet. all that matter is that the fat is going down and the muscle is increasing. do not be a slave to the scale in that scenario.

if you are not exercising, are you weighing at the same time everyday at the same level of hydration? makes a big difference. i always did my weekly weigh-in on saturday morning before i even drank anything.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #147  

Quote:
Thanks for the coupon-internet sleuth!!!but the link to the coupon doesn't work.. what kind of search did you do to pull it up? I really want one to. any advice is is appreciated. BTW-my SmartStyx arrived (thanks again) and your so right they are exactly the same down to the packaging! You rock!
thanks! but don't hold me to the 2 a day Quest bars will always work I have tried the coconut cashew, peanut butter brownie(?), PB&J, Banana Nut muffin and Berry something or other. I liked them all except the PB&J and the Banana one was just OK it didn't taste fake banana just strong I guess. I sort of got overwhelmed and just starting grabbing one of each to try. Now that I am home and really reading the labels, I will rebuy those that are under 200 calories. The ones with 8g of fat or more may be too much. And thanks for the microwave trick, it totally changed the consistency for the better! As for the coupon, go to slickdeals.net and search for gnc. I got it from a thread there and they have one for each month of this year so I have saved them in advance Good luck on the break next week.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #148  

Quote:
Originally Posted by roho42 View Post
interesting because i was on the program for about 6 months the last time and never officially did a 7 day break. do you have the details? is it "eat what you want" for 7 days or just less strict?

I think I was doing something similar because about every week or two I would have a "cheat" day which seemed to keep me from plateauing but it wasn't part of the program
The 7 day break is a special 7 day diet plan that basically removes all starches for 7 days exceot for the 3 quick snacks/day. The first 5 days was 2 Eggs, 7oz protein 2x/day, 1/2 grapefruit 3x/day, and veggies. Then day 6 and 7 are the same as the prep. I too was hopeful that the break meant a real break

They had me do this on the 8th week, but they were talking about putting me on it during week 6. From what i have read on here they will probably put me on it every 6-8 weeks to boost weightloss. They don't expect you to lose weight on it and it does not count as a paid week.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #149  

Quote:
You are right that most of the quick snacks are loaded with soy/vegetable protein, but the Twist Smoothies are whey protein isolate. I picked up a single serve packet of Jay Robb Tropical dreamsicle mix at HEB. Have not tried it yet,but nutritionally it is close to the center's smoothie, but this one uses stevia and also has 5g more of protein. There was another diet supply site that offered sample packs of certain mixes and I think that is the way to go. I definitely want to try something before buying the bulk size. I will probably place that order tonight so I will post the site on here later if others are interested.

Oh and FYI, most of the sites like dietdirectdotcom are selling the identical product as QWLC they are just rebranded for another program. So there is no worries about eating off program

Hope that helps!
So...in my effort to try do this diet cheaper, I ordered several samples of different protein powders to find one I would like to substitute for the Twist Smoothies. Well having never used protein powders before, let me tell you there is a big difference in flavor. I think I will just have to shell out the big bucks for the twist smoothies The mixes I have been trying have very very little flavor.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #150  

Quote:
So...in my effort to try do this diet cheaper, I ordered several samples of different protein powders to find one I would like to substitute for the Twist Smoothies. Well having never used protein powders before, let me tell you there is a big difference in flavor. I think I will just have to shell out the big bucks for the twist smoothies The mixes I have been trying have very very little flavor.
Have you sampled Syntrax Nectar? 23 grans protein, 100 calories, 0 from fat& aspartame free,zero carbs, zero fat, whey isolate. I ordered a sample from MyBariatricPantry dot com.i have heard thery are very tasty & have exotic flavors.