General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #1  

Default Diet Plan Ideas/Suggestions?

Basic starting info is that i am 19 y/o, male, and weigh about 136 pounds or so.

i went to a clinic to get a check up almost 2 years ago i think, i havent really gained any weight since, they said i weighed about 138, the scale in my home is like 10 pounds off ( learned from past experiences) it says i weight 126 so if u add 10 it adds up to what i was...

So 2 years ago i started a diet which i cant even remember what it consisted of and i lost like 20 + pounds, maybe even 30 rather easily and havent put them back since but here i am wanting to lose more weight... Im still not as skinny as i want i suppose because my thighs and legs are not up to the shape i want despite what the info i gave u might imply..

I want to look something like this ht tp://blogs. abc.net.au/photos/te nnis_australian_open/federer_awaiti ng_the_se rve.jp g

So i want to lose how many pounds it will take to look like that because my thighs and legs are not that skinny yet.

So my point is that despite my stats being maybe healthy according to you i still want to lose more weight and i dont really feel like going to a nutritionist because i feel i can lose weight without one..

( i used to be chubby when i was very little then i lost tons of weight and for years i was maybe as skinny as federer is in the pic above but then i got older and put on some weight and now im in a good place but i want that body.. but ive alwayd done so without going to a nutritionist..)

So with my stats, and with the goal i want... ( id be willing to exercise by running a bit in the park every other day because im busy) i want to maybe lose 10 or 15 or even more pounds, whatever it takes by july...

So any tips on how to do this? and on what to eat?

Because sometimes i cant even have the time to excercise to i wonder how many calories i can eat and lose weight without much excercise...

Last edited by Swansea; 03-30-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Swansea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #2  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

How tall are you?
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #3  

5 feet 7
Old 03-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #4  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Your BMI is normal, at the lower end of the normal range, in fact, check the numbers for yourself (I can't post a link yet, Google "BMI calculator").

Losing weight is going to be very, very, very hard. It becomes progressively harder the closer you get to a normal BMI. And honestly, you could starve yourself down to a lower weight and still not be happy with the way your legs look because there is no such thing as spot reduction.

You also need to consider your body type. There are three main body types: Ectomorph, Endomorph and Mesomorph. Again, Google it and you'll get good explanations.

Most people aren't ONE body type, they're a mix (I have the arms and legs of an ectomorph and the trunk of an endomorph). How you gain fat or muscle is dictated by body type and muscle type. Long fiber muscles, which are what ectomorphs have a preponderance of, are long and lean, the muscles of any endurance athlete. These are people who have a hard time gaining fat OR bulky muscle. Short fiber muscles, the muscles of endomorphs, are chunky. These body structures have an easy time gaining muscle and fat, the bodies of weight lifters or wrestlers.

So you need to take a long hard look at your body and get realistic about what you can achieve. But you are not fat, dear. I can understand that you don't like the way your legs look but you must accept that you can only change that with a serious exercise program (otherwise, you're just going to get skinny everywhere). Frankly, if you hooked up with a good trainer you'd only need to work about three hours a week at a proper weight training program to see changes in your legs in just a few months. Weight training can resculpt your body if it's done right.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReNew Me View Post
Your BMI is normal, at the lower end of the normal range, in fact, check the numbers for yourself (I can't post a link yet, Google "BMI calculator").

Losing weight is going to be very, very, very hard. It becomes progressively harder the closer you get to a normal BMI. And honestly, you could starve yourself down to a lower weight and still not be happy with the way your legs look because there is no such thing as spot reduction.

You also need to consider your body type. There are three main body types: Ectomorph, Endomorph and Mesomorph. Again, Google it and you'll get good explanations.

Most people aren't ONE body type, they're a mix (I have the arms and legs of an ectomorph and the trunk of an endomorph). How you gain fat or muscle is dictated by body type and muscle type. Long fiber muscles, which are what ectomorphs have a preponderance of, are long and lean, the muscles of any endurance athlete. These are people who have a hard time gaining fat OR bulky muscle. Short fiber muscles, the muscles of endomorphs, are chunky. These body structures have an easy time gaining muscle and fat, the bodies of weight lifters or wrestlers.

So you need to take a long hard look at your body and get realistic about what you can achieve. But you are not fat, dear. I can understand that you don't like the way your legs look but you must accept that you can only change that with a serious exercise program (otherwise, you're just going to get skinny everywhere). Frankly, if you hooked up with a good trainer you'd only need to work about three hours a week at a proper weight training program to see changes in your legs in just a few months. Weight training can resculpt your body if it's done right.
Thanks for the information i had never really been all to informed about the endomorph and the rest of the morphs

If anything, i think i im a bit of a meso and endo morph, i know im not fat, my thighs have always been a bit fat in a way specially when i see heavier people than me with skinny legs/thighs..

And thanks for informing me about the weight training, it is all very helpful information.

You did mention that there is no such thing as spot reduction and that i might just go skinny everywhere, but i wouldnt mind get a bit skinnier overall anyways though. Ive had the idea that my body is different to others and you made it so much clearer with your information but i think i want to lose a few pounds and then if i see that maybe weight training on the legs could be done, id consider going more into it.

Last edited by Swansea; 03-30-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #6  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

You have to live within your skin, Swan, but I'm telling you, to continue to try losing weight at your current BMI will be both a challenge and self defeating -- if you're fighting your basic bone/muscle structure you might be very, very disappointed. Believe it or not, it would be easier to get yourself into shape, add some muscle all over, harden up and offset the size of your thighs with, say, a thicker chest, shoulders and back.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #7  

I understand, but to put it simply, i dont want to think of building muscle all over and trying that way, thats work i dont want to bother going through right now. Call me narrow minded or lazy but thats how i feel.

No matter if its hard, i want to lose 10-20 pounds and depending on the results ill stop and end the issue there.

So i want some tips or diet plans because if i try to go without help i find to be more knowledgable i feel like i am prone to break a diet i make for my self.

Regardless of the body type, i want 10-20 pounds off, period, and end.

Last edited by Swansea; 04-03-2013 at 11:10 PM. Reason: y
Old 04-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
I think you're missing the point. Losing 10-20 pounds is not going to get you the look you want, and the look you described. You're going to be bony and knobby. If that is what you meant to say you wanted, then I wish you luck, and go for it. You need to google a BMR calculator and find your BMR. Then you can decide how much to cut from there. 3,500 calories = 1 lb.
I understand what you are saying, if i care to get into some of the things you guys mentioned then i will look more into it as it was valuable information, but i want to see what happens if i lose 10-20 pounds, i understand what you are saying, and if i dont ulimatley get atleast a bit near to what i want then too bad.

Um about the bmr calculator, ill do that.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Do you suffer from any disordered eating? I ask that because your whole approach to this seems very skewed. I don't mean to stereotype but I find it highly unusual for a young man to want to lose weight instead of gaining muscle. Boys don't usually have to deal with the same negative media that young girls do, so I'm wondering where this need to get below a healthy weight comes from. Also, the picture of Federer you posted and the weight you want to achieve have nothing to do with eachother. In fact you'll look less like Federer when you do lose that weight than you do now.

From what you describe your body type sounds like you carry more weight on your bottom than on your top. For most men it's the other way around however lots of guys think the grass is always greener on the other side. If you did some strength training on your legs you could very easily get them in shape well enough to put a top-heavy body builder to shame. Many men suffer from a buff chest with chicken legs syndrome.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Do you suffer from any disordered eating? I ask that because your whole approach to this seems very skewed. I don't mean to stereotype but I find it highly unusual for a young man to want to lose weight instead of gaining muscle. Boys don't usually have to deal with the same negative media that young girls do, so I'm wondering where this need to get below a healthy weight comes from. Also, the picture of Federer you posted and the weight you want to achieve have nothing to do with eachother. In fact you'll look less like Federer when you do lose that weight than you do now.

From what you describe your body type sounds like you carry more weight on your bottom than on your top. For most men it's the other way around however lots of guys think the grass is always greener on the other side. If you did some strength training on your legs you could very easily get them in shape well enough to put a top-heavy body builder to shame. Many men suffer from a buff chest with chicken legs syndrome.
I dont suffer from disordered eating, cant think of anything to think i do...

The problem with the weight training is that i dont have the desire to go to the gym and spend lots of time and effort on building muscle, its something im not interested in.

I understand that to get closer to what i want weight training is maybe the best solution but i simply dont feel like using my free time to go build muscle, i know some might consider it weird considering most men are the opposite.

Why would i look even less and less like federer? I assume that even if i have a certain type of body, that id still lose weight all over to some degree? I assume u refer to his muscle mass and all that...

Would i realistically lose 10 or 15 pounds and NOT get my legs to be atleast a bit skinnier? Sorry for beating around the bush lol. I see that the consensus is that the end will most likely not justify the means, but doing weights and all that just sounds like such a hassle ive never been interested in .

Last edited by Swansea; 04-04-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My husband is a few inches taller than you at 5'11 and weighed 138/139 at his lowest weight and his doctor told him not to lose any more weight (he wasn't trying to lose weight).

Anyway, years later, he weighs 153/154 and is the same size. He used to have a small stomach pooch but that is gone and his body is more shapely. The difference? He runs a couple times per week (less than an hour) and does body weight training (TRX for a while but now he is doing Convict Conditioning). You are your own Gym is another program. He doesn't go to the gym, he doesn't spend hours every day exercising and he eats a lot of food.

So I think you can get the results you want via exercise versus losing weight.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swansea View Post

Would i realistically lose 10 or 15 pounds and NOT get my legs to be atleast a bit skinnier? Sorry for beating around the bush lol. I see that the consensus is that the end will most likely not justify the means, but doing weights and all that just sounds like such a hassle ive never been interested in .
Probably not much depending on your build. Unfortunately build has a lot to do with it. My mother is a pear shape, small boned, wide hips and very slim upper body. Whenever she tries to lose weight she loses weight on her upper body first, and lower body last. You'll probably get skinnier on top first. Same thing happens to me too. The problem areas are usually the last to see results. That's why they're called problem areas.

Be healthy, eat nutritious food, and incorporate exercise into your daily life. Even a few push ups every other day during the commercial breaks count.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote