General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/271/190

Height: 5'7"

Question Choosing a diet plan

Hey everyone. New to the forum and starting my weight loss journey....again. So, this time I want to try an actual diet plan, instead of just figuring it out myself. In the past month I was preparing to be a vegetarian and planning on doing a 21 day kickstart in April. However, for finacial reasons and a true love of meat I am rethinking this lifestyle. I am debating on doing the kickstart anyway, just because I've already invested so much effort into converting. But, if I'm already questioning this "diet", it's probably not the one for me. I really love vegetables more than meat, but I really love cheeseburgers too! Lol!

Now, my question is on the South Beach diet. If anyone has tried this, what I'm wondering is how much do they cut out carbs? Are you restricted from them all? All the time? I'm asking because growing up with hispanic/italian influences I love carbs. Bread, pasta, tortillas, etc. Will I still be able to enjoy these things at least in moderation? I don't want to start on another plan and rethink it a month later. I want to find something that will work and work for me! I totally believe in moderation, but completely giving up things I love is probably not the plan for me. If anyone can help me decide if this plan is even worth a try I would greatly apreciate it! Thanks for listening.

Last edited by DNArens; 03-26-2013 at 06:12 PM.
DNArens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #2  
Calorie and Carb Counter

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm not on any specific plan. I calorie count according to what MyFitnessPal has calculated for me. I aim for under 150 grams of carbs daily and preferably under 130 grams. I'm diabetic, so I restrict each meal to 45 grams of carbs and any snacks to 15 grams of carbs. I still have pizza, burgers, chips, etc. fairly regularly but in smaller amounts. Though I haven't cut much out of my diet, I find I'm somewhat forced to eat healthier in order to stay within my carb and calorie limits. I've lost 25 pounds since January 15th and have gotten my blood sugar levels almost down to non-diabetic levels, so this has been working well for me.

Edited to add:
Welcome to the forum and good luck with whatever way of eating you choose to follow!

Last edited by immaculate; 03-26-2013 at 06:57 PM.
immaculate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #3  

Talking

Way to go on the 25 pounds! In the past I have calorie counted which did work. I just didn't stick with it. I'm hoping if I have a "plan" I will get a jumpstart on weightloss and hopefully be able to continue with it. Thank you for the advice! =)
Old 03-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 125

Height: 5"1"

The South beach diet has three phases. The first phase is only supposed to be 2 weeks, and that phase is very restricted in carbs. There is a "foods to enjoy" list for each phase. Phase one allows leans meats, low fat cheeses, fat free dairy and lots of vegetables, no fruit or grains etc. In phase two, the weight losing phase, you slowly add in fruit and whole grains and healthy oils, so you can have pasta if it's whole wheat or brown rice pasta. When you reach your goal, you move to phase three, where you still eat the phase two way with added occasional treats. It's a very healthy way of eating and living.
carrieanne6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNArens View Post

Now, my question is on the South Beach diet. If anyone has tried this, what I'm wondering is how much do they cut out carbs? Are you restricted from them all? All the time? I'm asking because growing up with hispanic/italian influences I love carbs. Bread, pasta, tortillas, etc. Will I still be able to enjoy these things at least in moderation? I don't want to start on another plan and rethink it a month later. I want to find something that will work and work for me! I totally believe in moderation, but completely giving up things I love is probably not the plan for me. If anyone can help me decide if this plan is even worth a try I would greatly apreciate it! Thanks for listening.
If you haven't already done so, be sure to check out the South Beach Diet thread here. You'll find it under the Diet Central section of the forum. Lots of great information there!

Good luck on whatever you choose!
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #6  

Thank you!
Old 05-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

My sister has lost over 30 lbs. on Weight Watchers...it lets you still eat the foods you like, just in moderation. And you can eat as many fruits and veggies as you want
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #8  
13 pds in 7 days!

S/C/G: 228/215/145

Height: 5'5" WOE Atkins

I have tried every diet and ended up binging in the end. Due to my self diagnosed insulin ressistance..Atkins is the way of eating for me. Not just for the food or the quick weight loss through induction, but for my heart that is already struggling at age 38, my shoulders (which are now pain free after the 1st day of no sugar) but for life. My body, even as a child, is not able to metabolize sugar. It works great for me. We are all unique. I hope you find the one that fits you best.
franciejones is offline   Reply With Quote