General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #16  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowPetal View Post
They aren't actually. Most other diets are based around wheat and other grains that fuel the fire for auto immune diseases etc and promote chronic inflammation in the body. The body can actually fuel itself quite successfully on a high fat, low carb diet (a ketogenic diet). It does not have to have glucose to thrive. Ketogenic diets have been used since the early 1900's for the successful treatment of epilepsy and they are now seriously being looked at as treatment for cancer - google it. No other type of diet can shrink a tumor like it.
Maybe you should google other diets and outcomes. Yes, even diets with wheat and other grains have had positive health outcomes. Many people have improved their health through dietary changes and many of those dietary changes look nothing like the Paleo diet.

And in terms of ketogenic, aka low carb diets, and cancer. It looks like more research is needed. The one human study I found on NIH's website indicated every patient worsened or stayed the same. I think proof is a little too early to be called.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I didn't know there was a difference between paleo and primal. What's the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
What I like about "paleo" is its emphasis on really high quality ingredients... and its avoidance of most of the processed "foods" that we've become so dependent on... Those I think are really good things... and what I personally strive for in my own "diet"... So from that perspective I think it does have some valuable things to offer...

So for me... I take what I like from "paleo"... and leave the rest...
Amen! I just know that my body feels better when I eat less grains, more proteins, and lots of fresh vegetables. I've never seen a high carb diet work, even those who eat grains must limit them if they want to cut calories.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #18  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Amen! I just know that my body feels better when I eat less grains, more proteins, and lots of fresh vegetables. I've never seen a high carb diet work, even those who eat grains must limit them if they want to cut calories.
Well people who eat high carb diets (which actually happens to be most of the world), limit calories for weight loss. So sure you cut grains but you may also cut a lot of non-grains. And in many parts of the world where obesity isn't an issue, grains are the primary staple of the diet.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Maybe you should google other diets and outcomes. Yes, even diets with wheat and other grains have had positive health outcomes. Many people have improved their health through dietary changes and many of those dietary changes look nothing like the Paleo diet.

And in terms of ketogenic, aka low carb diets, and cancer. It looks like more research is needed. The one human study I found on NIH's website indicated every patient worsened or stayed the same. I think proof is a little too early to be called.
I have done heaps of research on other diets - 2 years worth of research. All western diets inflame disease. Ketogenic diets are being studied by the barrow neurological institute in phoenix az amongst many other medical institutions. Ketogenic diets are almost zero carb and high fat which is not the same as just low carb. They require a specific breakdown of food and must be mainly fat to be successful.

Last edited by SnowPetal; 03-28-2013 at 08:21 AM.
SnowPetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #20  

Not to mention the majority of grains these days are genetically modified to meet the demand for them, they aren't what our great grandparents ate anymore.You do realise that until the 1950's our diets were not heavily based on grains. They were high in healthy fats, fruit, vegetables and proteins and limited in starchy carbs and obesity, type 2 diabetes, autoimmune disease and cancers were not common. When mass panic hit and we were all told to go low fat and high carb all these illnesses went through the roof and things got even worse in the 1980's when the low fat phenomenon hit big time. And they continue to get worse.

Last edited by SnowPetal; 03-28-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #21  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Not Low Carb?
why? Ok I understand the Grassfed ....but what is the other big difference?

Is this to create a Brand?
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #22  
Just Me

Quote:
Not to mention the majority of grains these days are genetically modified to meet the demand for them, they aren't what our great grandparents ate anymore.You do realise that until the 1950's our diets were not heavily based on grains. They were high in healthy fats, fruit, vegetables and proteins and limited in starchy carbs and obesity, type 2 diabetes, autoimmune disease and cancers were not common. When mass panic hit and we were all told to go low fat and high carb all these illnesses went through the roof and things got even worse in the 1980's when the low fat phenomenon hit big time. And they continue to get worse.
Our diets meaning who? Interesting enough, I've been reading little house on the prairie lately and their grain consumption is pretty crazy. My family talks about how it wasn't until recently where they ate a lot of meat. Corn, rice and to a lesser extent wheat, in addition to beans have been staples for hundreds of years for many parts of the Americas and still are for many. Asia has eaten rice, millet and other grains for thousands of years and again, for many, it makes up the majority of their diet.

And if you are interested in non-GMO grains, they are easy enough to find.

As well in that the low fat diet in the 80s did fine until people tried to make money off of it. Eating products that are low in fat, high in added sugar did no one any favors. Most low fat eaters these days concentrate on natural foods that are low in fat. Legumes, whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc. now I won't speak for everyone as I know at least 1 person on this site who lost over 100 lbs on a low fat diet commented that they regularly ate packaged products and I'm sure there are more out there but much of the diet guidance has shifted to a whole foods low fat diet.

Lastly I should say that this website supports people on vastly different diets. As long as you aren't doing something dangerous, we are open. We have also had people lose lots of weight and keep it off via a variety of methods, low carb, modified carb, low fat, etc. The common denominator is calorie restriction and some just focus on that. Whatever works for you is fine. If you follow Paleo or modified Paleo, go for it.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #23  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

I am from the camp of whatever diet works for you ...without demonizing others choices.

I have read things about various diets but I have hard time figuring out why Paleo is better or different from Low Carb .
Just don't get the big distinction? What am I missing ...went to the Website..

Oh Nelie Love Little House On The Prairie

Last edited by Roo2; 03-28-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo2 View Post

I am from the camp of whatever diet works for you ...without demonizing others choices.

I have read things about various diets but I have hard time figuring out why Paleo is better or different from Low Carb .
Just don't get the big distinction? What am I missing ...went to the Website..
Paleo is a diet based around fresh fruits and vegetables. Low carb focuses more on being protein and fats based and minimal fruits and very low starch vegetables. A paleo lunch and dinner for example would be a big serving of vegetables of all varieties with some lean protein and healthy oil added in. Snacks would be fruits, nuts etc.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Our diets meaning who? Interesting enough, I've been reading little house on the prairie lately and their grain consumption is pretty crazy. My family talks about how it wasn't until recently where they ate a lot of meat. Corn, rice and to a lesser extent wheat, in addition to beans have been staples for hundreds of years for many parts of the Americas and still are for many. Asia has eaten rice, millet and other grains for thousands of years and again, for many, it makes up the majority of their diet.

And if you are interested in non-GMO grains, they are easy enough to find.

As well in that the low fat diet in the 80s did fine until people tried to make money off of it. Eating products that are low in fat, high in added sugar did no one any favors. Most low fat eaters these days concentrate on natural foods that are low in fat. Legumes, whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc. now I won't speak for everyone as I know at least 1 person on this site who lost over 100 lbs on a low fat diet commented that they regularly ate packaged products and I'm sure there are more out there but much of the diet guidance has shifted to a whole foods low fat diet.

Lastly I should say that this website supports people on vastly different diets. As long as you aren't doing something dangerous, we are open. We have also had people lose lots of weight and keep it off via a variety of methods, low carb, modified carb, low fat, etc. The common denominator is calorie restriction and some just focus on that. Whatever works for you is fine. If you follow Paleo or modified Paleo, go for it.
Actually as I said the grains eaten years ago basically no longer exist. The majority are now genetically modified and non genetically modified is very hard to find unless you know a small wheat/grain grower who you can buy it from or you buy your own. EVERY grain in the shops is genetically modified. You really need to do some proper research. And countries like asia etc actually consume small amounts of grains and their traditional diets were based around fresh vegetables and proteins as well. That's all changed now anyway and they are all getting fat from western foods.

Most low fat diets are based on highly processed foods, that's how most low fat foods are made including yoghurt, cheese, milk etc etc...

There is a doctor named Terry Wahls that has secondary progressive ms and has managed to reverse it and halt it's progress by going paleo and cutting ALL grains out of her diet. She is now doing clinicial studies/trials on her diet with ms patients and parkinsons patients with great results. It is niave to deny the damage that grains do to the human body and unfair to bag something you have little knowledge of.

Last edited by SnowPetal; 03-28-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #26  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
What I like about "paleo" is its emphasis on really high quality ingredients... and its avoidance of most of the processed "foods" that we've become so dependent on... Those I think are really good things... and what I personally strive for in my own "diet"... So from that perspective I think it does have some valuable things to offer...

So for me... I take what I like from "paleo"... and leave the rest...

I agree with that; I think avoidance of processed junk is key in any diet really, and is definitely a positive point of paleo
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #27  
Just Me

Quote:
Actually as I said the grains eaten years ago basically no longer exist. The majority are now genetically modified and non genetically modified is very hard to find unless you know a small wheat/grain grower who you can buy it from or you buy your own. EVERY grain in the shops is genetically modified. You really need to do some proper research. And countries like asia etc actually consume small amounts of grains and their traditional diets were based around fresh vegetables and proteins as well. That's all changed now anyway and they are all getting fat from western foods.

Most low fat diets are based on highly processed foods, that's how most low fat foods are made including yoghurt, cheese, milk etc etc...

There is a doctor named Terry Wahls that has secondary progressive ms and has managed to reverse it and halt it's progress by going paleo and cutting ALL grains out of her diet. She is now doing clinicial studies/trials on her diet with ms patients and parkinsons patients with great results. It is niave to deny the damage that grains do to the human body and unfair to bag something you have little knowledge of.
I eat a low fat diet so I speak from my perspective. I know of many diets that promote a low fat diet and minimal processed foods. I don't eat dairy myself so I can't speak about yogurt, cheese, milk. There are many low fat diets that do focus on whole foods.

And do you have any evidence that all grains are genetically modified? Considering anything marked as Organic can't be genetically modified and certain countries have heavy restrictions on genetic modification. I tend to buy organic millet, barley, rice, oats, etc. I should also add that I'm not particularly anti-GMO but I think caution is required. most things I buy are organic and thus non-GMO just because I do my grocery shopping at an organic food market.

And again, sure Asian diets include fresh veggies, fruits and meat but in some area up to 80% of their calories come from grains. Rice and some other grains do make up the majority of many traditional Asian diets (and other traditional diets around the worl) and to think differently is naive.

As I said, if people are happy with Paleo go for it but as I said many people have had successes on low fat diets. I've also heard many medical claims by those on certain types of low fat diets but nothing happens in a vacuum. If you have a crappy diet and crappy health, improving your diet will most likely improve your health and we shouldn't discount exercise.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #28  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Actually... there are people that do their own vegetarian versions of "paleo" which I thought was pretty cool... which I know is probably considered heresy by most paleo people... but actually, when you look at it a lot of foods that raw vegans eat seem like they would be perfectly "paleo" to me for the most part... so to me anyway... someone eating paleo and someone eating raw vegan have a lot more in common than someone eating a standard American diet... well, actually, I think global industrial diet is a better term for it these days... IMHO...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #29  
Just Me

I'm a vegan but when I did Crossfit, I actually helped the Paleo eaters a lot with their diets. Many didn't know how to cook vegetables or eat things without dairy so I passed them a lot of recipes but I think they were on the fence about some things like cashews (which many said weren't Paleo) but is a primary ingedient you find in many vegan cream sauces. You can use sunflower seeds as well though.

Obviously we differed in that I didn't eat meat and I ate grains/legumes but there was still a fair amount of overlap.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #30  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

So SnowPetal are you saying Paleo is a Higher Carb ..that's the difference in Paleo isn't that different then a Keotogenic diet? I'm confused cause I have looked into the Keotogenic diet for myself and this was not my take on it at all,but the cycle part of it??? Hmmm ..just trying to get a grasp with variants between the two.

So are you
Doing Paleo or Keotogenic? And do you feel those are the same?

Thanks for helping me clear up the confusion,
Roo2