General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #271  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
Carolr I've got to the point to where my stomach is uncomfortable even kind of growls when I am really hungry.
I think I pushed myself too far yesterday. I was having a particularly hungry day and didn't bring enough food to work. It seemed that I was famished every 3 hours after eating. By the time I got home I had serious hunger pangs, but I had things I had to do before I could think about eating. Got those finished and finally ate, and I ate until I was full. This morning I woke up with an empty growling stomach...and it really hurt.

I finally found time to eat breakfast and that helped a little, I made sure it was something filling. I just ate lunch and the leftover ache is starting to go away.

I can't remember the last time I had hunger pangs that led to actual pain. I'm wondering if it felt that way because my stomach is use to having something residual in it at all times. Hopefully I'll (quickly) learn the difference between just the right amount of hunger, and pushing it too far.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #272  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMissy View Post
I can't remember the last time I had hunger pangs that led to actual pain. I'm wondering if it felt that way because my stomach is use to having something residual in it at all times. Hopefully I'll (quickly) learn the difference between just the right amount of hunger, and pushing it too far.
PreciousMissy, I don't believe that has EVER happened to me! If it has, I've long since forgotten it - but I've forgotten a lot of things.

I know there have been many times when I've eaten and been completely empty, as I've had times in my life where I've gone as long as 48 hours without food. (not deliberately, and not often, but it's happened)

You mentioned that you were particularly hungry....I've noticed that some days I could eat all day, other days one big meal and a small one are more than adequate. Today was one of those days.

I think that's all part of the IE experience. We just have to go with the flow.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #273  

So today was really different....

I had to put my car in the shop - broken water pump, but fortunately covered under warranty - and the shuttle service brought me back home. I had only had a banana and had not gotten to the grocery store as I'd planned yesterday, so I really didn't have anything to eat in the house - that I wanted, anyway. I really wanted my prime steak and wedge salad from Houlihan's that I usually have once a week, but I had no car.

Well, it's not really that far.... and today was a very pretty day. So I put on my tennis shoes and walked! It's a 3.5 mile round trip according to Google, and it took me 35 minutes each way. It's pretty hilly, however, which is the hardest part of the trip. But I did it! Felt great, even though my legs are pretty sore, as I haven't been walking like I should. I think this will give me the jump start to get back into my regular walking routine. And I think I'll do this once weekly since I should be able to have at least one day a week with good weather from now on.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #274  

Quote:
It's a 3.5 mile round trip
Good job.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #275  
Started IP 10/21/15

Southernmaven, thank you for your insight/input since I'm still pretty new to this radical concept of eating only when you're hungry . I appreciate everyone's insight and love reading their thoughts!

Also, good for you on deciding to walk!

Last edited by PreciousMissy; 04-02-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #276  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Missy, I hope everying stabilizes soon with your body. Apparently you aren't alone- Look, I found this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1677364.html
Isn't the body fascinating? I wish we knew exactly why and how it worked...

SouthernMaven, Look at you! What a GREAT walk! Did your body appreciate the movement? Did it make your wedge and steak even more satisfying?

AlmostMe, That is VERY good advice. I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with TOM!

As for me, I've been struggling mentally. On Saturday, I officially weighed in at 211.5. Today? 217! TWO SEVENTEEN!! What the WHAT?!!! ARG!!! I'm so close to ONEderland! I'm going to implement every weight loss technique in my weight loss tool box! I am going to dominate this April!! I will keep my head down and power through it!

:: steps back ::

And then I pick up my IE book...
I'm frustrated that I had a lot of ice cream at lunch yesterday. Mind you that I did not eat to the point of being full. Just satisfied, but come on...it was like...at least 1-2 cups of ice cream.

I come across this quote....
Quote:
Pseudo-permission does not work- it's only an illusion. Your mouth may be chrewing, but your mind is saying, "I shouldn't." Your mind is still on a diet.
Hmmmm....

I still want to lose weight- and I think my body does too. However, I have serious trust issues. I mean...what is my body doing?!

I ask my consultant..."Have I ever even gained this much before?"
Why yes... March 16. Exactly the same amount.
And guess what? I was ovulating then.

Why does my body hold onto so much water weight during hormonal shifts? I have no idea...but I should probably trust it.

Today I walked into the break room and it smelled like custard. It was glorious. I felt like my body wanted it. I thought about this feeling and it reminded me of my ice cream yesterday. "Could my body be craving dairy? Calcium? The ice cream was the only item on the menu that contained dairy."

I looked into it- "Calcium may help reduce menstrual pain because it helps maintain muscle tone. One study found that calcium did reduce menstrual pain."

Huh....

Think my body might be smarter then all of the items in my "weight loss tool box?"

Last edited by lunarsongbird; 04-02-2013 at 06:52 PM.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #277  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Sorry...that was a bit rambly.
Bottom line is...that I'm working on this:

Also- I feel bad for not having a relationship with my body. I'm sorry that I have doubted it- and felt like we weren't a team. I have mistreated my body for quite sometime. This month I really want to focus on that trust....and building up that relationship. I think this trust will also help for future births. I need to trust my body in all things. Trust that it can take care of me...and that I can take care of it.

Last edited by lunarsongbird; 04-02-2013 at 06:57 PM.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #278  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostMe View Post
Lunarsongbird - that's where the mindfulness REALLY needs to kick in. (I have this trouble too, haven't cracked it) Slow down your eating. Really, really slow it down. Put your fork and knife down or put the food down if you're eating with your hands and clear your mouth and PAUSE before picking up another bite. (Gonna work on this today!!!)
When I was a young girl, my family had a lady friend who was paralyzed and could not feed herself. My sister and I used to love to feed her, but her one complaint with us was "You need to slow down. You're feeding me too fast". She would tell us how important it was to slow down and chew your food. She said, "You should chew your food 27 times". I still think of that today. In fact, I'm having to work on this one myself. If I'm not careful, I can sit down and eat and be through before I know it and think "I didn't even really enjoy that because I didn't taste it... savor it". I think that comes from times when we work or whatever and have to rush through meals because we only have 15 or 20 minutes to eat. I remember when the kids were living here that the #1 reason oldest grandaughter didn't eat was because the line was too long and she wouldn't have time to sit down and enjoy what she was eating. So I think even our kids learn to eat too fast in school.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #279  

Southern Maven, I noticed your post on the Yahoo IE group. It used to be moderated by a girl named Jenn. She was great. I have a post on the first page there. But now it is moderated by Gillian Hood Gabrielson. One thing I noticed about women like her who do counseling, is that when you first subscribe to their news letters, they are helpful. Then before you know it they are trying to sell you something. I don't like that. Anyway, that Yahoo IE group is not into losing weight anymore. More into accepting themselves. I still would like to lose more weight.

Last edited by carolr3639; 04-03-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #280  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Southern Maven, I noticed your post on the Yahoo IE group. It used to be moderated by a girl named Jenn. She was great. I have a post on the first page there. But now it is moderated by Gillian Hood Gabrielson. One thing I noticed about women like her who do counseling, is that when you first subscribe to their news letters, they are helpful. Then before you know it they are trying to sell you something. I don't like that. Anyway, that Yahoo IE group is not into losing weight anymore. More into accepting themselves. I still would like to lose more weight.
Thanks for the heads up...I've not been on there long enough to have picked up on that. I want to learn as much as I can about IE so that's why I joined. I found it by doing a search on Yahoo Groups - don't guess I even realized who was moderating it.

I do like their reading list - right now I'm reading "French Women Don't Get Fat" which is a bit different but has some great insights. And I love the recipes, so I may end up buying it (I checked it out at the library, along with another book by the same author - "French Women for All Seasons.")

Right now I have to say that I honestly do NOT care whether or not I lose another pound. I wasn't like that when I first started IE, nor had I given up the scale, but I just came to that - not because I was TOLD to (although several proponents of IE say you MUST do that) but because it just seemed like the right thing to do. For me.

But I also believe, deep down in my heart, that IE is as individual as the person who practices it. Why wouldn't it be? It's NOT a diet. It's a way to achieve peace with food. We're all different - why wouldn't we all have individual ways of practicing it? When IE proponents say you must do this or you must do that, they're making it a diet.

Bottom line is that we have to eat whatever way our body tells us to eat. Somewhere I read that Geneen Roth ate cookie dough for a week straight when she first started practicing IE. I've never read any of her books (has anyone? would love some feedback on them) so I don't know if that's true, but if it is you know she probably can't be in the same room with cookie dough now!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #281  

Quote:
When IE proponents say you must do this or you must do that, they're making it a diet.
Amen to that. I have read some of Geneen's books a long time ago but they aren't my favorite. I like the book about French women. Maybe I'll reread that.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #282  
Started IP 10/21/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarsongbird View Post
Missy, I hope everying stabilizes soon with your body. Apparently you aren't alone- Look, I found this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1677364.html
Interesting article.

After reading it I thought about what I ate over the weekend, a whole bunch of carbs.

Monday, I backed off the carbs, but still had them.

I typically don't eat carbs by design. I'm not a bread fan (never have been), I eat more vegetables than I do fruit, and I've pretty much given up sugar. I've decided that my body was simply not happy with me because of the drastic eating change for those two days.

I've apologized to my body and we've made up. I'm back to eating protein & vegetables, and it has stopped punishing me.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #283  

Quote:
I'm back to eating protein & vegetables, and it has stopped punishing me.
I love carbs and I rebel when people say I have to eat protein. I eat protein but bread, tomatoes and strawberries are my favorite.

Last edited by carolr3639; 04-03-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #284  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarsongbird View Post
SouthernMaven, Look at you! What a GREAT walk! Did your body appreciate the movement? Did it make your wedge and steak even more satisfying?
Well, my body didn't appreciate the movement initially, but after a couple of Advil, it did. Definitely made the meal more satisfying, for sure!

Quote:
As for me, I've been struggling mentally. On Saturday, I officially weighed in at 211.5. Today? 217! TWO SEVENTEEN!! What the WHAT?!!! ARG!!! I'm so close to ONEderland! I'm going to implement every weight loss technique in my weight loss tool box! I am going to dominate this April!! I will keep my head down and power through it!
lunarsongbird - Is it possible to weigh in and NOT be told your weight? This is at MRC, if I recall, right? I am a big believer in doing IE whatever way works best for you - that said, for me, weighing in at a weight-loss location screams DIET! and I personally couldn't deal with that. Listening to your body does take some practice, and you're going to go up and down. But that's true with dieting as well....so don't let that scale discourage you!

Quote:
Why does my body hold onto so much water weight during hormonal shifts? I have no idea...but I should probably trust it.
Fortunately I no longer have to deal with TOM, but boy, oh boy - sometimes I was so bloated I felt like an inflated balloon and just wanted to stick a pin in myself! Honestly, I often felt 20 lbs heavier. Couldn't stand it. Don't miss that - at all!

Quote:
Today I walked into the break room and it smelled like custard. It was glorious. I felt like my body wanted it. I thought about this feeling and it reminded me of my ice cream yesterday. "Could my body be craving dairy? Calcium? The ice cream was the only item on the menu that contained dairy."

I looked into it- "Calcium may help reduce menstrual pain because it helps maintain muscle tone. One study found that calcium did reduce menstrual pain."

Huh....

Think my body might be smarter then all of the items in my "weight loss tool box?"
Well there you go!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #285  

Quote:
Fortunately I no longer have to deal with TOM,
and for the twenty years I was having children I quite often only had TOM once between pregnancies. However, I had a very long menopause with lots of TOM.