General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #46  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Hmm..just read the Fast 5 diet and wow!! Very cool! Though i wonder why he advocates between 5 and 10pm and not 12 and 5pm?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #47  

Port- because most people enjoy eating in the evening with their families and it is when many social situations take place. During the day, many people are busy and don't think as much about food.

I get headaches too sometimes while fasting and when I do, I usually just suffer through it OR ease up and eat earlier than I had planned on.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:20 AM   #48  

Hi,

I am doing one meal a day and I love it! I started by having a protein drink in the morning (110 calories) and eating about 4 hours later. Now, I don't need the protein drink.

After a few days, the hunger went away. Even when I was hungry, it was very manageable. A drink of water, when I was truly hungry, did the trick. Don't be afraid of hunger. It comes in a wave and goes away.

I've read Fast-5. Fast Diet, 5:2 Diet, Eat Stop Eat, the Warrior Diet and various blogs. For me, I could eat too many calories in a 5-hour span and wouldn't lose weight. I like the idea of the health benefits from fasting 1 - 3 days a week but, for me, one day at a time.

There is so much proved science to support the health benefits of fasting and absolutely nothing at all for minimeals. Personally, I think multiple meals can cause disordered eating - you're either planning meals, thinking about food because you are hungry, or cooking/preparing food. And having to do meticulous calorie counting (unless low-carb or something like that). Who wants to think about food all of the time?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #49  
Porthardygurl

See im confused....according to my APA Pschology college text...it says cutting meals like breakfast along with a significant caloriedeficit results in fatigue semi starvation and lowers your BMR...so i dont get it...which person is right? Fast 5? Or my college Psychology textbook?
Old 03-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

Has anyone here done a water fast/juice fast? I'm not talking the 40 day long ones, but a few days to break through a bouncing number on the scale and flush water weight?

Last edited by CherryQuinn; 03-06-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #51  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryQuinn View Post
Has anyone here done a water fast/juice fast? I'm not talking the 40 day long ones, but a few days to a week, to break through a bouncing number on the scale and flush water weight?
I've done quite few... although it's been a few years... I did the Master Cleanse once which is basically water with some lemon squeezed in it and a little bit of maple syrup and cayenne.. and I've done lots of different juice "fasts" where you juice all your own fruits and veggies... I still have a bunch of books lying around, but one that I remember that I think had some half way decent advice in it was called "The Detox Diet"... but I can't remember the author... and also this little book called "The Fasting Handbook" which was very short, almost like a pamphlet really... but it had some really basic and simple and short fasts that were easy to follow... but sorry, I don't remember the author on that one either... but I'll see if can dig them up... might be worth taking a look at...

I currently do 24hr fasts in addition to my IF routine where I stop eating at 6pm and then don't eat again until after 6pm on the following day... this way even though you are going 24hrs without food you are still eating something each day... from what I've read so far when it comes to IF there doesn't seem to be any added benefit pass the 36hr mark... although I have seen diets that have you fast for 48hrs to put you into ketosis to "jumpstart" weight loss and get the scale moving...

And I'm not trying to be discouraging because I actually think fasting has it's place in treating certain things... I just don't think it offers much benefit when it comes to dieting and weight loss... I mean it will probably get that bouncing scale to move in the right direction for you... but just be prepared if it 'bounces" back when you done...
Old 03-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 192/173.6/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthardygurl View Post
See im confused....according to my APA Pschology college text...it says cutting meals like breakfast along with a significant caloriedeficit results in fatigue semi starvation and lowers your BMR...so i dont get it...which person is right? Fast 5? Or my college Psychology textbook?
You should not have a significant calorie deficit every day with intermittant fasting.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #53  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
I've done quite few... although it's been a few years... I did the Master Cleanse once which is basically water with some lemon squeezed in it and a little bit of maple syrup and cayenne.. and I've done lots of different juice "fasts" where you juice all your own fruits and veggies... I still have a bunch of books lying around, but one that I remember that I think had some half way decent advice in it was called "The Detox Diet"... but I can't remember the author... and also this little book called "The Fasting Handbook" which was very short, almost like a pamphlet really... but it had some really basic and simple and short fasts that were easy to follow... but sorry, I don't remember the author on that one either... but I'll see if can dig them up... might be worth taking a look at...

I currently do 24hr fasts in addition to my IF routine where I stop eating at 6pm and then don't eat again until after 6pm on the following day... this way even though you are going 24hrs without food you are still eating something each day... from what I've read so far when it comes to IF there doesn't seem to be any added benefit pass the 36hr mark... although I have seen diets that have you fast for 48hrs to put you into ketosis to "jumpstart" weight loss and get the scale moving...

And I'm not trying to be discouraging because I actually think fasting has it's place in treating certain things... I just don't think it offers much benefit when it comes to dieting and weight loss... I mean it will probably get that bouncing scale to move in the right direction for you... but just be prepared if it 'bounces" back when you done...
I am worried itll just be false results and itll bounce back but scientifically I cant see how its possible, say I fast for 3 days to get the water weight off and lose a bit extra to get out of this bouncingness and then I'm eating at my normal 1k calorie deficit again (slowly work up to it of course not 0 cals to 1200 cals in one day lol) I wouldn't be eating enough to regain weight, though I suppose I could rebloat a few lbs
Old 03-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #54  
Heading Downtown...

Quote:
I am worried itll just be false results and itll bounce back but scientifically I cant see how its possible, say I fast for 3 days to get the water weight off and lose a bit extra to get out of this bouncingness and then I'm eating at my normal 1k calorie deficit again (slowly work up to it of course not 0 cals to 1200 cals in one day lol) I wouldn't be eating enough to regain weight, though I suppose I could rebloat a few lbs
If we take "water" weight out of the equation... I guess here is how I would look at it... I'm not exactly sure what your BMR is... But whatever your BMR calories are for the day x 3 days would maybe be what I would expect to see for an actual loss, so I guess it could add up to 1.5 to 2lbs? When I've done the two 24hr fasts in a week... the 6pm to 6pm thing that I mentioned... that was good for about one pound of actual weight loss for the week...

Actually I found when I wanted to flush some water weight and jump start the scale in the right direction... a one to two week pretty strict PSMF would do the trick and be good for taking off a few of those pesky "scale" pounds... Even just a one week PSMF might do what you want and it would probably be easier than a 3 day fast... So it might be something to consider...
Old 03-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #55  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
If we take "water" weight out of the equation... I guess here is how I would look at it... I'm not exactly sure what your BMR is... But whatever your BMR calories are for the day x 3 days would maybe be what I would expect to see for an actual loss, so I guess it could add up to 1.5 to 2lbs? When I've done the two 24hr fasts in a week... the 6pm to 6pm thing that I mentioned... that was good for about one pound of actual weight loss for the week...

Actually I found when I wanted to flush some water weight and jump start the scale in the right direction... a one to two week pretty strict PSMF would do the trick and be good for taking off a few of those pesky "scale" pounds... Even just a one week PSMF might do what you want and it would probably be easier than a 3 day fast... So it might be something to consider...
Im new to fasting so I have no idea what psmf means
Old 03-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #56  

Quote:
Unfortunately, that portion of your textbook is based in pseudo-science. If starvation mode were true, then those poor people during WWII would have blown up like refrigerators but they died. And people die from anorexia.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top...-debunked.html

My calorie intake is between 800 - 1200 a day. It will remain so. Once you are small, you really don't need a lot of calories, even with exercise.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #57  
Rather be riding!

S/C/G: 81.5/75.1/60 since 18Feb2015

Height: 157 cm

Quote:
What would a psych textbook know about metabolism and nutrition? Not trying to be snarky! But it seems to be a truism that nutrition "info" gets repeated so much it becomes true, regardless of the facts. Not to mention that any textbook, regardless of how new it is, is at least a few years out of date with regards to new research.

Check out some of the studies being linked to intermittent fasting. Check out some of the websites referenced in this thread. From what I've seen, IF is solidly grounded in data.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #58  
Heading Downtown...

Quote:
Im new to fasting so I have no idea what psmf means
Sorry... a PSMF stands for Protein Sparing Modified Fast... I'm not exactly sure what a google search on "PSMF" will turn up... and even though programs like IP (Ideal Protein) and Medifast are essentially PSMF's... those definitely aren't my cup of tea, so to speak... and you can easily put together your own plan with actual real food (just not that much of it... lol..) I think if you google "Rapid Fat Loss Handbook PDF. " you can take a look at that one to get an idea of how to put one together... if it looks like something that makes sense for you... for me I can only handle about a week or two on one... just too restrictive for me I guess... I'm not sure what kind of plan you're following now... but I consider a "PSMF" pretty "hardcore" when it comes to dieting... so that's why I only used it for very short periods... I guess sort of like the idea of "induction" when it comes to low carbing... so it might be a bit of overkill so to speak for what you want to do... I'm not sure...
Old 03-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #59  
Porthardygurl

What time of the day do you all prefer to eat between? Are you doing 5 hour food period or are you doing 6 or 8? How many hours are you fasting?

Cause the other thing someone was asking me is " Wouldn't you get fatigued or exhausted from not eating breakfast or anything in the morning??" I dont know how to answer this question?
Old 03-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #60  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Quote:
" Wouldn't you get fatigued or exhausted from not eating breakfast or anything in the morning??" I dont know how to answer this question?
You got to do what works for you. Yes, I would get fatigued without breakfast. But I don't miss skipping dinner. Everyone is different and you have to work with the IF schedule that works for you.

Last edited by IanG; 03-06-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Closed Thread