General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #1  

Default I think I discovered an allergy today, anyone sensitive to MSG?

I made this stuff last night....
it's boiled chicken breast shredded, then chopped celery & carrots boiled with the seasoning packet (chicken flavor), then the whole thing gets poured over Ramen noodles (lol I don't make it often, and I'm not dieting yet)

anyhoo...... I woke up throughout the night itching my head and tummy, then this morning I noticed I have a fine rash of tiny pimples all over my chest/stomach/back/arms/face. Itchy too. The more I thought about it, I was drowsy last night and a tad nauseated too.

I've gotten this a couple times before but never made the connection. But when I was thinking what the heck I ate yesterday... it dawned on me MSG because the only other thing would've been the 5 cookies and glass of milk LOL

Anyone else have a reaction to MSG? Did you get a rash? Kinda sucks because like any other chubby chick, I looooooove chinese food.
Maybe a bessing in disguise...
StephieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #2  

I am sensitive to MSG, but I do not get a rash like you described. I do get migraines from it, and therefore take pains to avoid it. I love Chinese food and I have been able to navigate my way around MSG by finding restaurants that do not use it, and requesting it NOT be used if I can, and finding ingredients that do not have it in them. I have found just about everything I could want, including Hoisin, and Duck sauces, without MSG. My husband, who is a biochemist, tells me it is a neurotoxin and should be avoided!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #3  

Hey thanks Ellen, I had no idea it's a neurotoxin! Well it will definitely be avoided, I wanted to see if that was truly the cause so I ate the leftovers last night.... Woke up again with the rash and this time I felt hungover.
So crazy!
Thanks for the input
StephieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:31 AM   #4  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i dont think im sensitive to it but my little nephew is sensitive and often has hives and asthma issues after eating Chinese food
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #5  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 248/ticker!/148?

Height: 5'11"

I've noticed my face turns bright red after I eat things that contain it.. which isn't often, but still a little awkward! (This also happens with alcohol.. it's like wearing my heart on my sleeve, but my diet on my face. )
pinksparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 298/248/158

Height: 5'7"

I get terrible headaches from it, and hives that stick around for a few days. I do my best to avoid it, and I hate when it turns up in something I didn't expect. I spend a lot of time checking E numbers on food packaging to make sure it isn't in food, but it's well worth it to avoid feeling awful after eating it!
FerrisW is offline   Reply With Quote