General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/320/280

Height: 6'0 Feet

Question Need Suggestions For Alternative Sources of Protein and Calcium

Hello,

I am currently dieting and working out to lose weight. I keep hitting an wall due to my diet. My current diet plan excludes all junk, soda, baked and high carb foods. I eat meat, eggs and vegetables. I also drink milk, it is the regular milk because anything with a reduced percentage just tastes like a watered down substitute. I have come to terms with the fact that I might need to cut a few more items from my diet like whole milk and fatty protein, so I am looking for healthy alternatives.

I guess my goal here is to find an alternative source of protein and calcium. I heard that any artificial means like pills and powders aren't as effective as consumption of a natural product. But I have no personal expirience to argue that statement.

Please post your suggestions for protein and calcium alternatives and your opinions on calcium and protein powders/pills.

Last edited by NoPainNoLoss; 10-28-2012 at 03:27 PM.
NoPainNoLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 286/247/150

Height: 5-4

How long have been on this plan? Personally I think you should wait awhile to see how much you lose just from cutting out the junk, or at the most just reduce your intake of milk.

A food diary might be helpful to track what you calorie intake is typically.
drixnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/159/135

Height: 5'1"

I would be happy to share some of those sources, but I agree with the PP on how long you have been on this plan. I am also curious what your exercise habits look like. My fiance can eat less and lose maybe one pound a week, doesn't matter what he eats. but if he hits it hard with exercise he can lose 2-3 pounds a week or more. He is heavy though so YMMV.
atreyyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #4  

Height: 5'3"

Cottage cheese
Plain greek yogurt
Atkins shakes

I use these for alternative sources of calcium (and protein when I have not eaten much meat or fish). I do not drink milk but I do take a calcium/magnesium/vitaminD supplement at bedtime (500 mg). I don't care for protein powders and prefer to get my protein from natural food sources such as meat, chicken, fish, eggs or what I listed above.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #5  

nonfat greek yogurt is my favorite. A plain 6oz container is 90 calories and about 15g pro. You can add some mashed up fruit if you don't like the taste of the plain version.
Katie4004 is offline   Reply With Quote