General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:16 AM   #1  
(they're flowers)

S/C/G: 174/*ticker*/125

Height: 5'4''

Red face Flaxseed Questions (And share your experiences please!)

Warning ~ Might be TMI for some people!

Lately I've noticed that I am, for lack of better word, constipated. I decided to buy some flaxseed, and today was my second day taking it, and it helped! (Well, I also had a drink that contained probiotics - could that have affected me as well?)

Anyway, a few questions I have are:
How long does it take for flaxseed to help you do your business?
When do you take flaxseed?
How do you eat it?

I guess I'm asking because the past two days, I've eaten it at breakfast. First day, no results, but also ended up drinking a probiotic drink. Second day, 2 hours after breakfast, I was successful. My worry is that because my system is still irregular, that I could potentially go at any time? Well, I have class/work at really...different hours throughout my week, so I'm trying to figure out based on how long it takes for it to help...when the best time to take it is.

Thank you for sticking with me if you've read this far!
Atarimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 216/205/150

Height: 5'11"

I use ground flaxseed. I used to take the oil but I found that it didn't help move things along, if you know what I mean. Flax seed basically increases the amount that you have to go by increasing the fiber in your diet so you might be taking it for a while before you notice much. I know that Activia yogurt has helped a few friends of mine regulate. Also, how much water are you drinking?
With the extra fiber, a probiotic and increased water consumption, you should be back to normal in no time.
mscoppertop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #3  
(they're flowers)

S/C/G: 174/*ticker*/125

Height: 5'4''

Hmmm, for most of my life, I've never really consumed an adequate amount of water - that could be part of the problem!

But thanks for your response. I guess my sudden having to go yesterday was just the overwhelming change I did for one day? I'm a poor college student who can't afford probiotic supplements, and Activia doesn't fit into my plan. I've heard it works well though, so that's awesome for them.
Atarimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 216/205/150

Height: 5'11"

Yes! more water. Try increasing your intake and see how that works. Thats the first thing my doc always tells me when I get a little backed up.
mscoppertop is offline   Reply With Quote