General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-30-2004, 06:24 PM   #1141  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Holly-that sounds so exciting! A free haircut and color sound good to me...that would be AT LEAST $50 or more in an average salon...Good for you! When the hair is done we wanna see pictures!

Debbie-isn't it great to have someone make a comment like that to you? It is the smallest thing that can just make your day, huh? Good for you wanting to bring the laptop to help you stay on plan-I always bring my journal and calorie count book with me everywhere. (BIG PURSE )

Yes-the vending was profitable, and I had a good time! Off to rehearsal though-I'll chat more tomorrow!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:31 AM   #1142  

Holly, sounds like lots of fun can't wait to see a picture!
Well our luck here in New York hasn't been too good! Lots of flooding both my daughters homes have water in them. Its crazy streets were flooded from the over flow of streams, creeks and the Erie Canal over flow. I have lived in this area for 28 years and never have seen it this bad. One daughter has flood insurance and the other just home owners. I got up at 7 this a.m. to go get some Wet vac. and the pumps are running. Thank goodness the rain has stopped and the sun is shinning today! No more rain in sight for a few days. one daughter has a river in her yard as of yesterday with craines flying down to catch the fish from the over flow of a creek. Crazy!
Well I have been pretty good with my choices of food except for a few potatoe chips a coworker brought in. He is the only guy in our office and can eat anything and loves to throw those tasty chips around. My will power was taken over. But at least I didn't throw the whole day in. Thanks to your tips Aphil one hour at a time! Well gotta go now I am taking today off to go to the NYState fair after I ck on my girls.
Skyfirefly Say a few prayers for some good weather and luck!
SKYFIREFLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:17 PM   #1143  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

SkyF, I am sorry to hear of your daughter's flooding problems! Lots of that here also this summer...I am sending "drying" positive vibes!

aphil - I am excited about the makeover but also...nervous! Never done anything to my hair except perming. But definitely I will share pics, whatever the outcome

I am sore from yesterday's workout - yeah! I "upped" the Gilad strength video with ankle weights and held weights during the squats and lunges. Oh, my thighs! and butt! but good

I had a pleasant shock on the scale yesterday...I want to share it, but am afraid it was fleeting! Scale showed 142. We believe (and hate!) the scale when it shows heavier; why is it so hard to believe when it goes down? I will MAKE myself wait until next week to peek again. But tomorrow is the 1st of the month, and I said that I would get back to measuring, which I will do!
I think I have been extra vigilant in the past couple of days, thinking of trying on clothes for that makeover, afraid of the coordinator thinking "yeah, sure, she says she's a 6 in some things"

that's it for me tonight; gotta get to bed early for my one early (groan) baking day tomorrow. Have a great one tomorrow!!

( I just remembered another "ol' fashioned" regular whom we haven't heard from in ages - tryin' hard!!! our model of maintaining! thinking of you, tryin' hard, especially that school has started again. Missing you! )
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 11:19 PM   #1144  

Hi ya Chickies,,,

Been working lots lately,, and am so tired.... wanted to pop in and say hello.

Have completed 2 full weeks back at WW...am down 8.8 pounds... feels good...to have the motivation back.

Holly~~ be sure to post some pics of makeover...

I need to figure out how to post pics in these messages...
Have some of when my daughter was visiting that I want to share.

Jacklyn~~ Hello !My sister is doing well,,has had her shares of ups and downs.... mentally its still rough on her,, but physically she is doing good..has had some minor set backs... but all in all basically pretty good.. Hopefully the cancer will never return!

Amy~~ Love your pic...

Debbie ~~ that is such a wonderful compliment you recieved.

Christine~~ Congrats on the news!!

And a big Hello to everyone else....

Ok time to march my happy butt into the shower and then bed...... is it the weekend yet??????????????

Hugs
Nancy
Snowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 07:31 AM   #1145  

Hello everyone,
Well off to work today! Yesterday between helping my girls and then going to the fair. I got a lot of walking and exercise in. I did pretty good with my eating right down to my ride home from the fair. but then my husbands fudge got the best of my will power! How stupid that was after trying so hard all day. But I guess I could of ate bad all day and still gotten in the fudge? Today is another day and I just made a healthy lunch and ate my Kashi cereal for breakfast. A snack I've enjoyed lately is fresh NYState apples sliced with natural peanut butter on them. I figure its tasty and healthy and it seems to satisfy my need for something snacky! Off to work and I agree is it friday yet??????????? I am sure taking off yesterday only means messages on my phone and follow ups today. Oh well sometimes yah just got to take some time. I thought it would be a fun day off , but ended up helping the girls at least I was off to do so!
Take care and keep up the good work everyone! Any soothie ideas please send them my way!!!!!!!!!!
Skyfirefly
Old 09-01-2004, 08:32 AM   #1146  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Happy September everybody! I love September, so beautiful for walking!
I now have lifted with cardio 10 days in a row (well one day rest). And I got a happy surprise on the scale this morning too! Must change my sig.
My problem this week has been my period. It's very heavy and I'm feeling sapped. I'm not complaining, they've been heavy all my life and surely at my age they'll be done soon. However, my endurance was crappy yesterday (and that's bad because it's generally pathetic). I feel a bit ripped off, ya know?

Aphil? can you come up with some stretches and things that would help with that tight crampy feeling? It's almost like the ligaments in my pelvis are spasming. Belly dancing moves

Oh yes and I got some calipers. My BF% is 27.7%. (given the amateurness of the evaluator). That's better than I thought and nicely close to 'lean'.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:56 AM   #1147  

SusanB-I actually DO know a position that are supposed to help with cramps. One is to get down in a squatting position on the floor, and sort of keep your balance with your hands/arms on your knees. It kindof reminds me of a medieval childbirthing pose...but it's supposed to help some!

SKYFIREFLY-my kids eat sliced apple with a dollup of peanut butter all of the time! I have also sort of found a replacement for chips with less calories...you know the mini rice cakes-the real little ones? They have generic store brands, and the Quaker Quakes brands-and they now have BBQ and sour cream and onion. I had always tried the sweet ones like caramel-never thought of "chip" flavoring on them before-and they are not bad. You get a nice sized serving for under 100 calories.

Snowey-thank you! That picture was taken of me right after performing at a children's library show in July. I should have some even more updated ones soon.

Holly-I am cracking up at your new found motivation-because you are going to have a lady helping you with wardrobe and she will be seeing the size tags. I am laughing because that TOTALLY sounds like me! It was funny-because now that I am sewing new troupe costumes-I have all their measurements to compare myself to-and compare some of them to their measurements from a year ago! (Hmmm...her hips have gone up an inch since last year....wow...my waist is the same size as hers...wow...she has lost some since last year...) I know that is terrible...but it is only natural!

Yesterday I did 45 minutes of exercise-I walked 3 miles. I try to keep my pace at about a 15 minute mile on average for walking-not running, but not a slow stroll either-"brisk".

Today is strength training, and then tonight I have to dance for about 30 minutes. I dancer friend is coming over to work on the end of our group dance for the big show (in 17 days!) coming up. We are "partnered" at the end and get to make up what we want to do for it...so we are going to take advantage of the artistic freedom!

Well, I am off to strength train-and then to the sewing table! You all have a wonderful day-and take it an hour at a time! We are all getting motivated again for different reasons-and I want to keep this up!!! *Think looking good for family members who haven't seen us in a while this winter at holiday events!*
Old 09-02-2004, 07:11 AM   #1148  

Just checking in it keeps me in balance of reality! Yesterday was a pretty good day I ate a healthy breakfast and lunch and for dinner went out with a girl friend. Our trip out for dinner was unexpected but nice for both of us. Then we met up with another friend and did some shopping! I have to say they shopped I saved my cash. Going on vacation will be coming up quick and I would like to do some fall shopping in Seattle. That will be fun! Maybe I will be down a few lbs. and that would be a real treat to buy some new clothes. My only up cal. for yesterday was my chicken parm. but I shared part of it and only ate 1/4 of the pasta. When I got home only had a 1/2 of a Fresca soda no cal. or sugar. The only exercise was walking the mall with the girls. I have to go walking or to the gym tonight. The only problem with the gym is I will end up on the other side of the city seeing a client tonight. So walking might be the answer but at least that is good for me! Your certainly right when you say Sept. weather is great for walking. I have been a bit down this week emotionally with the girls having their water problems from the flooding. My youngest daughter has been doing laundry at my house and has done about 15 loads. It is a lot of baby clothes she had stored for some day down the road. It is truly sad to see your kids have to go through losing out on things and having no control to help them. My other daughters family room rug is ruined and needs to be torn out. The rug was only 2 years old and she had saved for it so long. Just when they thought things were going well. Others though are in worse shape and for them we are praying for also. Take care everyone brighter days are coming! Lets hope the next storm misses everyone! Just goes out to sea!
Skyfirefly

Last edited by SKYFIREFLY; 09-02-2004 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:06 AM   #1149  

They are in my prayers Sky...
Old 09-02-2004, 09:54 AM   #1150  
Building a Better Me

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/250

Hey Girls,
What do you all do for exercise? I need to add some movement in!! (Although I am down 2 pounds from last Friday, the last time I weighed myself!) Pretty good for only cutting out soda this week!
Jacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:33 AM   #1151  

Jacque, I workout at a gym 3 days per week, 1/2 hr cardio and 1/2 hr weight training. I also walk 2 days per week when possible.
debbiejarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:48 PM   #1152  

Jaque-I exercise a LOT. Dancing 3 days per week for an hour or two each time, 45 min-1 hour 15 min of strength training 3 days per week...and I walk about 7-8 miles through the week along with that.

If you are not currently exercising at all-I would recommend that you start with simple walking. If the weather is bad you can walk in the mall. Start with 10-15 minutes a day. Work your way up slowly to longer periods of time, and a quicker pace. Start slow so you stick with it-then over time you can slowly progress to higher intensity exercise after movement is a regular part of your life.

You will notice when you first start out-that the weight will come off a little fast-as each week goes by it will probably slow a little more. The last 10 pounds come off much slower than the first 10-so when it starts to slow-don't get discouraged. You are doing great so far.
Aphil

ps-crappy day here. Both sewing machines are on the blitz-I am taking them into the shop after Jas is out of school. The show is in 16 days...and my machines are both down. The kids are both sick with colds-Raiden pretty bad. I am starting to get it. I went out and walked a mile to release some stress...it has helped a little.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:18 PM   #1153  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

aphil - so sorry to hear of the kids getting colds; and hope it doesn't hit you! You eat so healthy; you must have a stockpile of vitamins in your bod to fight it off. Green tea, that's what I always recommend for an on-coming cold.

and hope your machines get repaired quickly!!

jacque, I do videotapes at home; some regular aerobics; some step aerobics, some are just for strength and use your own bodyweight or some additional hand-held weights.

Some more info on my upcoming makeover! Talked to the coordinator today. Next Monday (I have Mondays off) I will be going to different stores to try on outfits. The coordinator and store owners will make note of which outfits they decide I will model for the shoot. Then on Wednesday the 8th, I have appointments at a cool, upscale eyeglass place (again, just to model things, not to keep 'em, bummer) and then to a skin consultation with a doctor. At least that's free for me to keep! and after that, another store for...I don't know! It's called the Outdoor Gear Exchange, in Burlington. Finally on Sat. 11th, I have an 8:30 am appt. at a nice salon in Stowe for the cut/color; then onto Burlington for the photo shoot. Again, will keep you posted more!!

actually, tomorrow I will ask the coordinator tactfully, "what expenses should I be prepared to cover?" because the contest said makeover recipients would receive "gifts"...not sure what that means. Like I'd be totally happy with being responsible for tipping the salon person, if I didn't have to pay for the cut/color. And the appointment with the skin doctor...wouldn't that be pricey?? So I would like to know these things ahead of time. Do you think if I phrased the question that way, it would be okay?

Last edited by VermontMom; 09-02-2004 at 10:23 PM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 06:48 AM   #1154  

Aphil thanks for your prayers things are starting to be better for the girls. Sorry to hear about your machines. Wish we lived closer and I'd let you use my antique industrial machine. Its not fancy but boy can it sew! I use it mainly for quilt making because it can sew any wt. even leather. Hope the kids are on a mend!
Jacque- good going on your wt. and sounds like the cutting off soda really worked. I don't drink soda often. When I do its Fresca with lots of ice and a fresh lemon slice. I enjoy that and its 0 sugar, 0 cal. . As far as exercise I need to get going on that too! I have a long walk into work from the parking lot daily, do the stairs up. And normal work around the house, gardening I don't sit often. I also like to swim. If you can get into a routine of exercising by walking the same time of day thats worked for me in the past and I need to get into the swing of it again. Yesterday I did a lot of stairs due to a doctors visit and I choose not to use the elevator. Good luck and keep up the good work!
Holly sounds like a lot of fun! Hope you will enjoy trying on some new things. It seems like you shouldn't be responsible for any cost. But its good to ask that way you won't be feeling funny about it. Good luck and I can't wait to hear more about it.
The scale showed a 1.5lb. loss and I am pleased with that. I think its due to my cutting back on white breads, pasta's not eating the sweets other than the fair fudge! I have been taking my lunches and having healthy snacks. I tried the soy crisps and you can have 25 for only 110 cal. . For snacks I have also been enjoying my fresh apples. One thing is I try not to eat past 8:00 p.m..
I am excited to be placing my order for my ticket for Seattle today. Can't wait to go see my son and his wife. I haven't ever traveled that far its a bit scary but I know it will be fine. My last far away trip was Colorado to see them when they lived there.
Take care everyone and have a nice long weekend!
Skyfirefly
Old 09-03-2004, 07:43 AM   #1155  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I need to get my machine out (25 yrs old!) to hem back to school pants and a few few 'carpenter's corners' on DH's work jeans I sewed alot when the princess was little but really haven't done much for years.
My kids used to get colds every year when school reconvened. A gathering of the germs so to speak. I wish I'd known about echinacea tea back then. We swear by it now.
Holly, I'm looking forward to pics!
Skyfirefly? Some weeks most of us would knock you over for a 1.5 pound loss!
And Jacque? two pounds is wonderful. When I was really losing, I walked almost 3.5 miles almost everyday. Now, to tone up nicer, I'm doing light weights at home, in some combination of them and cardio for between 30 and 45 mins and I still walk 2 miles most days. That and around 1400 - 1800 cals seems to be working for me right now.
And Aphil? I did some squats and some things I found for easing tension in the pelvic girdle and it seems to have worked. Thank you.

Last edited by srmb60; 09-03-2004 at 07:49 AM.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote