3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General Diet Plans and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions-10/)
-   -   Doin' it the Old Fashioned Way #16 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/26250-doin-old-fashioned-way-16-a.html)

vmelo 03-26-2004 09:54 AM

Congratulations, Debbie! That’s great. You’re really on the right track.

Happy birthday, Christine! Oh, to be in my 20’s again . . .

Holly, I really pity you having to go to work so early. I don’t think I could do it. And, dittos on the pushing ourselves comment. I did my Intense Moves video this morning, and boy do I feel great. That workout really wipes me out and leaves me with that good kind of exhaustion that makes me feel as if all my immediate stresses have been sweated out of me! Whenever I do this workout I tend to feel relaxed for several hours afterward.

It’s BEAUTIFUL in NJ today. The temperature is supposed to reach 70 degrees (I hope it doesn’t sound like I’m rubbing it in, Holly—LOL). I’m trying to get myself to get up from my desk at work every hour & walk around this circular area that’s right outside my office. It takes about 3 minutes to walk it, and I figure if I do this several times a day, I’ll get 12-15 minutes of extra walking in. I sometimes feel like a slug sitting on my butt all day. Because it’s so warm today, it’s a great day to start this routine.

Nothing new on the eating scene for me. I’m still doing maintenance calories even though I don’t want to maintain my current weight—I’d like to lose 10 more pounds. Hey, Motivation, where are you???

I hope everyone has an excellent weekend.

silence 03-26-2004 01:24 PM

Goal #1 accomplished!

Thanks for the Happy Birthday wishes :)

So, I made it to my birthday and I'm still in the 170's.. 178.5 to be exact! Now to make it PAST my birthday without recking that... I mean, I can't exactly avoid cake entirely now can I? :lol:

Then on to the next goal... 175 by Easter... I know I can do it if I put the effort in!

Ill post later with how I did today... cake and all... lol

:)
Christine
181/179.5/130

VermontMom 03-26-2004 08:53 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRISTINE!!!!

Hope it was a nice one for you! and congrats on goal #1!

vmelo, s'okay, we were in the 60's today!!!!!!!!! and of course I took the bike out for a spin...got to 16 miles, then it started sprinkling...oh well,biker chicks clad in black leather can take that :lol: so I got about 30 miles in. Hopefully can do more tomorrow, after that dreaded 4 am to noon shift is over :eek:

hi aphil! and congrats on you seeing the scale move down also!
hi debbie, hope you had a good day also. Hey to everyone else!

silence 03-27-2004 12:22 PM

Thank you again for the Birthday wishes.
I made it through yesterday with a total around 1850 calories. Not too bad for a day with birthday cake!
The scale is still reading under 180 so I'm content. However, it is now time to get even more serious and get out of the 170s!! I'd love to be in the 160's by summer. We'll see... first goal first and thats 175 by April 11th!
Glad to hear everyone is having nicer weather. I find it so much easier to stay motivated when its not cold and nasty outside!

Ok, opinion question.... My mom gave me two outfits for my birthday. Both had size medium pants and size XL shirts. The pants are made 'baggy' so she went smaller and the shirts are a tighter style so she went lose. So, the pants fit me too tightly and the shirts fit well at the moment. Would you return the pants and get larger ones so they fit now or would you hold out and hope the pants will fit soon? If the second, do I then just hope the shirts aren't too big by then or return them for smaller sizes now? Oh the complexities of life! :lol: I'm leaning towards keeping the size mediums but I don't have too many pair of pants that fit now and I have a few already waiting for me in the smaller sizes. Hmmmmmm.

Anyway, I'm off to get my day started... I'm trying to motivate myself to exercise. I'll check in later and let everyone know if I did (maybe being held accountable will kick my self discipline into gear :D )

Christine
181/179.5/130

VermontMom 03-28-2004 09:10 AM

Good morning everyone!

Christine, good for you for keeping the calories down, even with birthday cake! regarding the outfits, I myself would keep one outfit "as is" for wearing now, and return one for maybe a size smaller.

Sun is brightly shining here, but still chilly, 30 degrees. But at least that keeps the mud frozen for a while :lol:

I was SO annoyed yesterday...that was the day I had to work from 4:00 am to noon. I got home at 12:30, and just tumbled down for a nap. When I woke up (2 hours later) my husband said that someone from my work had called twice (we have Caller ID) but had not left a message either time. My boss was away for the day, so I knew it wasn't him...had to be a co-worker. I stomped to the phone (I'm crabby when I first wake up :devil:) and called work. I said, "is the place burned down or something? there'd better be a good reason someone's called me twice, 'cause I'm not too happy about being called when I've been up since two a.m.!" Turns out it was a second co-worker, who just wanted to know if someone had left a message for her at work. !?! Inconsiderate.

I'm still looking forward to April 1, when I weigh/measure again. Part of me is slightly worried that I've been doing less muscle work, but good that in place of that has been the new aerobics routines. How nice it would be to have a personal doctor/trainer to tell us EXACTLY what each of us need to do.

Have a good day everyone!

silence 03-29-2004 11:08 AM

Hello all. How were your weekends?

I finally motivated myself to move and did one of my Pilates workouts on Saturday. So, yesterday, my legs and abs ached but it was a good ache! Now to keep it up ;)

My self control with eating is just not cutting it. I eat just enough to NOT lose any weight. At least I'm not gaining any either but I would REALLY like to lose some more!! I got a book from the library to help motivate me. It's called "The Solution." Has anyone read this one? I'll let ya'll know what I think if I get through it :) It says its a six step plan that identifies the psychological, physical and lifestyle causes of weight problems and offers the cure to each.. we'll see :lol:

I think I'm going to order Kathy Smith's Lift Weights to Lose Weight 2 DVD. I have a Barnes and Noble gift certificate and no books I'm particularly interested in owning so I figured I'd go with the DVD (its only $13) and maybe pick up a book for each of my girls. I have a bunch of videos and DVDs but none that use weights. I've been searching for one for a while now and I know I like Kathy Smith so I think this one will be good. Anyone know anything about it?

Anyway, its time to get my day started.

Have a great Monday everyone!

:)
Christine
181/179.5/130

debbiejarrell 03-29-2004 11:22 AM

Hi everyone

How is everyone doing? We had some beautiful weather in WV this weekend. It's about time. I am very happy with the way I am eating and exercising. My clothes are loose, YIPEE! I don't feel deprived of the food that I want. I do look forward the Saturday's though, this is the day that I take a break and eat what I want. I am going to be eating a steak dinner tomorrow for lunch, that's going to be a challange to keep the calories and fat low. I think I will split it and eat the rest on Wednesday.

VermontMom 03-29-2004 07:21 PM

Hello ladies!

Christine, I haven't read that book, but anything that helps us with why we do what we do, should be helpful. Congratulations on the "good aches" of your challenged muscles! The K. Smith DVD sounds like a good choice, but you know what an advocate of weights that I am :D

Hi Debbie! WAY TO GO on having looser clothes!!! Isn't that just a wonderful feeling, the fabric swooshing around the legs, instead of clinging :D and a good constant reminder of "I love how this feels, let me keep on doing what got them loose!"

Very good decision on thinking of splitting the steak lunch; right off the bat, when you order it, ask to have half of it packed to go. Then you don't have to make the decision when it's sitting in front of you.

Portions - something that we just have to pare down, and learn to be satisfied with. I was in the grocery store, and saw this cute little mini-bagels. I think I could be satisfied with one, at at least 1/3rd of the calories of a regular-sized one. Too bad ALL foods can't be pre-made for us as "mini's" :lol:

Can't remember if I told you all that I've now tried all three of my new videos, and I'm happy with two of them :D The "Crunch" one is just too snazzy and cha-cha-mambo-y for me! Maybe I'll be able to do it in a year :lol: But I really like the third one, Keli Roberts Ultimate Step Workout.

This is a very non-dancy step workout, and this woman shows that you can make it as easy or as challenging as you need, by increasing your intensity. Increasing intensity - as you're stepping, add arm movement. But instead of just waving your arms, focus on resistance and tension in those arms. And the placing of your feet/legs. really focus on muscular resistance AND movement, and suddenly you're sweating and your sports bra is wet AND your waistband of your shorts is wet with sweat!

For the first time this year, I got to ride the 'cycle to and from work! It was COLD at 5:15 this morning - 32 degrees - after my 16 mile ride, I was slowly defrosting my throttle fingers 'til they worked again - but it sure was worth it, as the afternoon saw strong sun and temps in the low '60's. I took the long way home and enjoyed it so much.

Have a great night, all!

VermontMom 03-31-2004 11:19 AM

Me again :D

Good morning! I have two day in a row off, yahoo. I'm just being lazy today; will be constructive tomorrow. But I will do an hour-long tape today; deciding which to do.

tomorrow is the first of a new month, which is when I measure! I WANT to see today...I so hope that there are some smaller measurements. If there's no change, I'll try to stay positive.

I rode to work again yesterday. It was just as cold, but I tried those chemical heat packs in my gloves. They helped alot. And the ride home was wonderful. I'm being very careful, as there is still alot of sand/gravel on the roads. And I have to watch out for trails of dirt/sand that lead out from unpaved areas.

It's drippy, cold and gray here today, but at least it's not snowing!! and the rain is helping to erase the remaining snow.

One month left of the brutal retail winter job!! My last full-time day there is Friday, April 30th. I met with the new prospective owners, and told them that I could give them ONE day a week during the summer ( and it wouldn't be a Saturday or Sunday, which of course they wanted), to work around my beloved summer job. They wanted me full-time, but I love my other job, AND they didn't even talk of any incentives (like more $$$, duh). However, I haven't told them yet that I decided that the one day I could work for them is Wednesdays...they might just tell me to forget it, which is fine for me. :devil: I LOVE it when you don't really need a job that someone is offering you; you can be so damn picky and choosy :devil: :devil:

I KNOW I've done a past member roll call recently, but there were so many of us here last year! and so few now. Kina, Kanola, Idealperson, KC, where are you? :( ?

gotta get my rump off the couch now! EXERCISE, EAT RIGHT, DRINK WATER, it pays off!!!

VermontMom 04-01-2004 08:42 AM

I am so monopolizing this thread :p :rolleyes: :lol:

I measured and weighed this morning...maybe a little smaller in the thighs...others numbers stayed the same. But I think I see a little more shape in the calves, (oh hallelujah!) and the scale shows 145, down from 147. I'm pleased. I've only been doing the stepped-up aerobics for a couple of weeks, so I'll give it more time. Maybe the next month will show another improvement.

Can I share a marriage gripe? I do all the bill-paying, as husband tends to put things off (and we get the horrible SECOND NOTICE, LATE envelopes which are so embarassing!). So I've been keeping our accounts for years now, NO late notices ever (well, ONCE last Christmas, a bill got mixed into Christmas cards :devil: ) and I keep very good records that I can actually access.

Well, he came home from work yesterday, and says, "you're not making like extra big payments on the credit cards, are you? Because we should have some spending money for our vacation." Ex-CUSE me, but a little hint...try starting a question in a way that doesn't put the other person immediately on the defensive!!!! All I could think of, was, hey, buster!! YOU try shuffling these accounts and numbers around every month...how about having a nice suggestion, and helping me, instead of just coming out with a comment like that....so I totally shut down and barely talked the rest of the evening, and NO, you're not gonna get near me in bed when I'm this mad :devil: We usually get along pretty well, and when we don't, boy, I seem to go off the deep end.

Money-wise, it's very different from years past. He had a very good job, good salarly and great benefits. That went bust; and lately I make more than him (could that be a blow to his ego?) and we've had to pay our own insurance :eek: We have our toys (the motorcycles) but that's our extravagance. It just really annoys me to have him TELL me what to do, when he's not doing any of the work, or have any valid suggestion.

OK, done griping :lol: Please tell me that I don't have much to complain about!

My second day in a row off, woo-hoo! Going to exercise now, then clean up this messy place. Wish it was sunny; it's almost 50 degrees, but gray and damp. And snow showers in the forecast for upcoming days :( which can certainly happen here all April.

Have a great, in-control day, everyone!

cherylquiltnut 04-01-2004 09:19 AM

Room for another?

Morning everybody!

Been perusing the 3FC message board and found this thread. I am currently on WW and have been floundering since stopping a year ago. I had lost 35 lbs but lost my mojo. The good news about that is I have only gained 7 lbs since I stopped, guess I developed some good habits. At least for a while, as I noticed my poor habits were starting to creep back in so back to WW I went. Been struggling though, but with support and friendship we'll all get through it!

I am 50 years old and live in CT with my DH and 8 month old puppy Jet. My URL is her photo album - can't imagine if we had kids! lol Donnie and I just got married Thanksgiving day of 1999. No kids, but he has two from a previous marriage - mid to late 20's and on their own!

I work as a Nursing Assistant at an intermediate care facility nearby. I only work per diem - the rest of the time I take care of the house, puppy, am taking a master gardener class through our local extension service and basically am enjoying my days. You will never hear from me that I have no time - and I love it. For many years (21 plus years) prior to my current situation lifestyle, I was quite a work-a-holic, to the exclusion of having a life, and focused on my career totally. This is a much better place to be and I'm fortunate to have the resources and a DH that supports my efforts.

I love the WW system - I really don't consider it a DIET since it really is a matter of making choices - they just give you a format to work within. Since I love to cook, it's a great choice for us - I'm fortunate that DH will eat what I do (except sushi and tofu) -- just more of it!

Anyway - i've probably bored most of you to tears if you even got this far. Hope to enjoy this thread in the future! You sound like a great bunch!

silence 04-01-2004 11:54 AM

Welcome Cheryl :)

Congrats on the 2 pounds, Holly!

I have fallen OP. I must buckle down and get moving in the right direction here! I start the days well but lose it somewhere in the afternoons. It doesn't help that we keep going out for meals. I'll be staying home today so we'll see how I do. I will have to ignore the bad stuff we bought and brought into this house... entennmans cakes and toaster strudels for example. My self-discipline was on vacation somewhere when we went grocery shopping this week! :devil:

I've started reading my library book. So far its interesting but I've not gotten very far into it. It claims to have the 'cures' to the 6 'true causes' of being overweight. I've read the six causes and I'm about to start reading about the cures. I'll let ya'll know if its any good ;)

I'm waiting on the weight lifting dvd I ordered from B&N. The last DVD I got (Cindy Crawford) is just not inspiring me. I think the problem there was the workouts were either too easy (the 12 and 16 minutes ones) or too long (45 minutes approximately). I believe this new DVD has 30 min upper body and 30 min lower body. I'm hoping they are completely separate workouts to make it easy for me to only do lower or upper on any given day and rotate them. Delivery is supposed to be between 3 and 8 days I believe. Today would be 3 but I don't hold out much hope :p I just hope I have it by early next week.

I haven't stepped on the darn treadmill yet even though its now living in my bedroom. Its hard to find a good time to do it with a 1 year old running around. I certainly can't have her in the room with me while I use it so I'll have to figure something out. She doesn't sleep in a crib either and her bed is in my room, with the treadmill so nap time doesn't work so well either!
I think I'm going to just have to convince my husband that he needs to watch Kai for 20 minutes or so in the evenings so I can get my workouts in. I will probably only start out with 3x per week anyway so an hour of kid watching isn't much to ask!!

Anyway, now that I've written a novel again... :lol:

Here's to a great month for everyone!!

Christine
181/179.5/130

debbiejarrell 04-01-2004 12:44 PM

vermontmom, Congratulations on the weight loss you are an inspiration to all of us.

cherylquiltnut, Welcome, we are glad to have you. You will find lots of support in this group as I have.

vmelo 04-01-2004 08:56 PM

Hi, All. It's so glad to see all the new posts. I haven't been able to check in recently.

Holly, Congrats!!! Doesn't 145 sound so much better to say that 147?(I know that's how I felt when I got down to 145). You're on a roll now, lady, so keep up the good work!! :) BTW, I know exactly what you mean about the job thing. I recently went through a similar experience where I was offered a job & ended up turning it down because it just wasn't exactly what I wanted. Since I've had the experience of being desperate for a job, it's certainly a confidence booster to be able to turn one down!

WELCOME, Cheryl! You'll find a lot of great support on this board. And, hey, I know what you mean about the puppy. I have two darling pooches of my own. Although they're 3 & 3 1/2, they'll always be puppies to me. One of them was a stray and now he sleeps on the furniture, gets cooked ground beef mixed in w/ his kibble, gets 2 walks a day, & a whole lot of love! A friend of mine always says he "hit the lottery" when I found him!

Christine, no worries about the KS DVD. I've heard great things about LWTLW2. Also, w/ the DVD, I think there are several premixes where elements of the workout are combined in several different ways. Enjoy it!

Debbie, congrats on your continued success as well. You're on a roll now!

I've been about the same, i.e., one day at losing calories, one day at maintenance calories. I think I need a new "toy" to get me out of this slump. I've ordered a few new workouts, so that should help some (although my exercise has been consistent). Additionally, my birthday is coming up soon, & my very generous sister told me to pick something for her to buy me or she'd just end up getting me something on her own. So, I'm considering asking her to buy me a Tanita digital scale. Since I left the gym, I haven't been able to weigh myself & I think that getting one might make me more accountable (who knows? it's worth a shot).

One thing I did discover today: the busier I am at work, the less I eat. I'm relatively new to this job (had it since Oct. '03) & my position is new, so I don't think they knew what to do w/ me at first. So, I had a lot of time on my hands for the past several months. A lot of time means a lot of time to think about food (e.g., "Isn't it time of my afternoon snack?"). However, lately, I've been getting multiple projects & today I was swamped. I was so busy that I didn't even think about my afternoon snack. As such, as of the time I'm posting this message (8:54 p.m. EST), I've managed to stay under losing calories. Aha! Busy = not focusing on food. I already knew this, of course, but it's good to be reminded once in a while.

Okay, I need to get off here & catch the latest CSI episode!

cherylquiltnut 04-01-2004 10:19 PM

Hi!

Thanks for the welcome! I tried to post earlier and for some reason I got an invalid thread error - so that was lost.

Look forward to getting to know you all! For now I must bid you adieu and hit the sack!