Doin' it the Old Fashioned Way #16

You're on Page 5 of 86
Go to
  • Hi everyone!
    Silence-some good videos that I like are the new Denise Austin toning ones-I think the are called "Get Fit Fast" and they have them for upper body, lower body, and abs...cardio is very important to do in your plan, but if you don't like the traditional aerobics style of videos...there are some pretty cool Latin dance ones, Hula ones, and different styles like that at Collage video's website. If you ever shop at Ebay of half.com-check out Denise's Hit the Spot videos-I have them all. Each tape has three different 10 minute workouts-there is a tape for each-abs, buns, thighs, and upper body. You don't get as bored, because you get to switch around the 3 workouts a bit. It is great with young kids, because if you don't have time to do an entire 30 or 45 minute toning video-you can do your abs for 10 minutes during a nap...and your upper body later tht day for 10 minutes while she is in the baby swing, and so on.
    On the flexibility front-I have finally succeeded in improving my flexibility enough so that when I sit with my legs spread on the floor, I can actually lie forward with my forehead resting on the floor. I have been working on my yoga and stretching for quite a while...now I have to set another flexibility goal.
    Aphil
  • Hello!

Kanola - CONGRATS on being down more! and your smaller measurements!!! Way to GO!!!

and Aphil, wow, that is FLEXIBLE!! congrats to you, also, on achieving that goal!!

Hello to everyone else!

We finally have had alot of snow meltage, even though there is still lots in the woods, most of it is gone from the yard. So soon there will be yard clean-up, from the ravages of winter.

TESTAMENT TO THE POWER OF CONSISTANT EXERCISE - yesterday Joe and I rode (motorcycles) to Laconia, NH, just for kicks - it was almost 300 miles round trip - and I am NOT SORE at ALL today!!! All the working out all winter has paid off. I am so glad!!! This is also good to affirm to me that I shall be OK for our long ride in two weeks.

Riding through Franconia Notch Park was awesome! There is a couple of places where you can turn off and see "The Man in the Mountain" - a perfect profile of a man, naturally found in the stone at the top of a mountain. Cool!

Have a great day, all! If I get my "have-to-do's" done in time, we're going to go for another ride this afternoon.

Your friend,
    Holly
  • Spring has Sprung
    Yipee. It's about 80 degrees here in sunny Colorado. My dh and I got up early and went for a hike up in Boulder. Even though I've been back on the work-out track for a few days, that week off seemed to diminish my fitness level. The trail was still eaiser than the first time, but a little harder than the second. But maybe that was because it was warmer and I was carrying the backpack for the first time. Who knows? Hubby wants to try new trails, but I like sticking to what I know. Maybe next week.

Tip for the day: grilling a boco burger outside with mesquite wood chips taste just like any other burger! Yum.

Hope all is well with everyone!

Missy
  • Hi everyone!
    We have been outside all day setting up the kid's new swingset. It is one of those wooden ones like they sell kits for at larger home improvement stores and lumber yards...it has a spaceship theme-the tarp that goes over the wooden clubhouse part looks like a spaceship nose and has a little fake control panel inside and a steeing wheel-and Raiden's baby swing looks like a little ship. It is a pretty basic wooden model-2 swings, Raiden's toddler swing, and the clubhouse part at the end-but it is really nice. The kids were both so excited. There is room for one more thing to be added if we want, so maybe later we will add another novelty type swing, like the kind that 2 kids can ride at the same time.
    I have the first of the costume tops almost done...it is going to be gorgeous-I can't wait for you all to see the finished product!
    Speaking of the veggie burger-that reminds me-Burger King has a veggie burger now with reduced fat/calorie mayo...they have the nutrition info on their website-I have been meaning to try it.
    Well, I must get back to the sewing table...lots to get finished!
    Holly-that is great about your "training" for your big ride! I am sure that you will be able to "iron-butt" it on your upcoming trip no problem!
    Aphil
    Aphil
  • Hi Everyone. I hope you all have had a good weekend. I'm extremely jealous of those who had nice weather (80 degrees???) while it's pouring rain here. Get out the galoshes!

I've made a decision. It's high time I finally got on the band wagon and started watching what I eat. Enough of this pigging out business. I'm working hard at the workouts now (a great start) but I'll never lose weight if I don't also change my eating habits. I'm going to count calories (gotta do it the old fashioned way 'cause I hate diets ). With all your wisdom and experience can someone please tell me where to start. I mean...how many calories should I take in each day? With WW you start with more points and gradually decrease them as you lose weight, so it should work the same with calories. I'm 200 lbs (ooooh I also hate typing that) and I'm 5'4" tall. I am committing to exercise for 1/2 hour 3 times per week at the minimum, hopefully more. Any tips would be helpful to get me started. My one big concern is that I have my favorite recipes that will have all kinds of ingredients, but how do you figure all the calories? Do you work out each ingredient, add them up and divide by how many servings you think are in the recipe? Sounds like a lot of work. All you calorie counters out there probably have some good ideas. I'm telling you all this, because, well, you're my support group (duh) and if I tell you maybe I'll be more inclined to keep it up.

My SIL was just diagnosed with Celiacs disease. She will have to make all kinds of changes to her diet. She's a very "in-control" person (and skinny too, no wonder) and I figure if she can change her eating habits (which will have to be a lot more drastic than mine), then I can do it too. Heck, I only have to count calories, she has to cut out all kinds of basic foods (bread, muffins, crackers, cookies, pasta, rice...etc) from her diet.

Aphil: sounds like fun setting up that swing set. Isn't there a swing for you too. I love to swing...only problem is my big butt gets sore on those little swings they have at the schools (you know those rubber or canvan sling types?). Congrats on reaching a new level of flexibility, you could be one of those flexy bendy dolls. I bet that sure feels good. I hope you see that goal of 175 this week.

Vermont: Did you have a good ride today? What a trip to not be in pain after that long of a ride. My hubby's dream is to get a big road bike when he retires. He says I can ride on the back with him and we'll get one of this little side cars for the dog. Ha, I think I'd rather have my own bike thank you (the dog can ride with him. Actually, truth be told, I'd rather cruise around in a Winnebago .

Missy: You sure got a good workout today. Be adventurous and try some new trails. I think it would keep things interesting. You gotta enjoy the exercise you do. I love to hike, only problem is I get winded too quick. Hopefully that will change.

Kanola: WTG on your loss!!!! How great that must feel to be so close to your goal. And the suit being loose....just another one of those things that makes it all worth it I bet. And what a small world this is that you are from Edmonton, so close to BC. I know Cloverdale (drive through it all the time when I go visit my sister) and Kelowna of course, great holiday spot. I'm not really a hockey fan, but my kids and hubby, can't miss a Canucks game. I'll start watching if they keep doing well and stay in the playoffs. My dh bought me playoff tickets for my birthday a couple of years ago when the Canucks made it into the playoffs. I think he really bought them for himself, but I actually enjoyed the game. They're always better live.

Anyway, better toddle off to bed before I write a whole book here.

g'night all.
  • Willbe..I'm pretty detailed so if I make something, I do count each ingredient and then divide by the number of servings. For me the best way to start eating better is to make changes gradually. Try one thing at a time.

For instance give your breakfast a make-over one item at a time:

Regular:
    2 eggs 140cal
    scrambled in butter/mar 50-100cal
    2 strips of bacon 80 cal
    regular bread (2) 100+cal
    buttered/ 50cal
    reg jelly 50 cal

Modified:
    1 egg & 1 egg beater 100cal
    scrambled in non-stick pan & pam 0-5 cal
    2 strips of turkey bacon 70 cal
    wonder lite bread 80 cal
    promise spread 5 cal
    reduced sugar jelly 25 cal

regular breakfast total:470+cal
    modified breakfast total: 200 cal...and a lot lower in fat

The best thing is try new things especially things you might keep up for the rest of your life. Some people can just eat egg whites. I'll never be able to do that..yuk. But I can eat one whole egg with one egg beater and if I'm really hungry two egg beaters with a whole egg and have more food, but less calories and less fat than two eggs.

A few years ago I couldn't stand diet soda, but now I can't stand regular. So try healthy things, but if you don't like it try it again after a few months. Taste buds change. Like the boca burger I mentioned...cooked inside, didn't like it very much. Crumbled it up and seasoned it with taco seasoning...it was okay. Seasoned it with italian seasonings and used it on a pita pizza..it was okay. So I had one left in the package...so I tried it on the grill...bingo! I may still try it in other recipes..but by trial and error I found one thing I know I will stick too (except those days when I must have beef!).

I've tried tofu recipies..still can't get with that. I can occassionally mix ground turkey with ground beef, but its not high on my list. Unless I'm dying for french fries, I have baked potato sticks. Once a month, I cook homemade vegetable soup (using whatever veggies are on hand) and freeze it in one cup servings. Depending on what I put in it the calories range from 50-90. Great to add on to a meal or eat in between meals when the old blood sugar starts to drop.

Of course you probably know all the little tidbits, like use artifical sweetner instead of sugar. Fat free milk instead of regular...but if you are not already doing that, start with 2% milk first! Otherwise it will be icky...at least that's how I was at first. And, although kinda expensive...frozen dinners can be a life saver for quick already calorie counted meals.

Other than make little changes like the above, eating more vegetables (I'm not a fruit person), and eat smaller portions of the higher calorie foods, I eat the same food. I always look for low-cal alternatives, but no real major changes.

To keep track of my calories and exercies I use performance diet software. It has a lot of things already counted and place to add new food.

Another thing that helps me, is that I have a palm pilot and I inputed everything under 350 calories at all my favorite fast food joints. That way when I'm out with dh and he wants fast food, I can make good choices.

One last thing..when you start counting..don't eyeball it...get out those measuring cups!

Good luck...hope this long book I wrote gives you some ideas.

Missy
  • Willbe-
    As far as your calories are concerned, you can do the same as with WW. Right now at 200, you can start out at about 1800 calories a day and lose weight. You can keep doing this until you start to plateau-a plateau is not where you only lose a pound or 1/2 pound a week-that actually is a pretty normal and healthy weight loss. I mean when a few weeks goes by and you have stopped losing. After that, go down to 1650 or 1700...what you should never do is ever go below 1200 calories. You should also eat regularly, and not save all of your calories for one or two meals. You need your three meals and a small snack or two a day...I actually "graze"-where I eat pretty small meals and snacks, and eat just a little bit every couple of hours.
    For your 1800 calories-you can split it up and eat quite often-
    400 calories for breakfast
    400 calories for lunch
    600 calories for dinner
    200 calorie snack
    200 calorie snack
    Your meals will not be exact-you may have 350 calories for breakfast, and 420 calories for lunch, etc. but it needs to be close to 1800 in the end. I would say 1750-1850 on average-trying to stay close. Try this for a few weeks, report your losses to us, continue to exercise-and I will let you know by your losses when I think you need to drop your calories a little bit.
    As far as recipes...I have a calculator, and add up the calories in what I am preparing, and divide it by the servings. It may take a little bit at first, but soon it will be second nature. You may also soon realize that some foods are more filling for your calories...a Cadbury Creme egg, for instance-is 170 calories...for the same amount of calories I could have a bowl of flavored oatmeal-which is the more filling? That is the key if you find yourself hungry a lot...try to choose the larger, more filling foods for the calories.
    If you don't like to add up everything-check out the recipes here on this website, as well as on the Shape and Fitness magazine sites. Most of them already say "such and such calories and 6 servings" at the bottom of the recipe. It has already been figured for you-a lot of healthier cookbooks are like that as well. I have looked through many of them and have a lot of them written down on recipe cards. Nancy actually has a GREAT crustless pumpkin pie recipe that she gave out in the fall-I will put it up here for you again:
    Crustless pumpkin pie
    1 15oz. can of pumpkin
    1 12oz. can of evaporated skim milk
    3 egg whites
    1/2t. salt
    3t. pumpkin pie spice
    1t. vanilla
    2/3c. sugar or Splenda sweetener
    Pour mixed ingredients into a 9" glass pie pan sprayed with Pam. Bake at 400* for 15 minutes, reduce to 325* and bake another 45 minutes.
    If using sugar-1/8 a pie is 135 calories, fat free, and 0.5 fiber grams
    If using Splenda-1/8 a pie is 70 calories, fat free, and 0.5 fiber grams.
    I used the Splenda sweetener-and it turned out really great. It is a great way to make a dessert for a gathering or a family dinner, that you are actually able to eat a slice of without guilt.

Here is another great recipe:
    BBQ Quesadillas
    8 6-7" flour tortillas
    3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (12oz.) or 1 1/2 whole boneless breasts-cook and slice thin.
    1/2c. BBQ sauce (I think dark, sweeter, smokier sauces like KC Masterpiece are best for this recipe-rather than tangier ones like Open Pit)
    1/2c. chopped green bell pepper
    1/4c. chopped onion
    1 cup shredded Mexiacan style cheese
    Pam Spray
    Preheat the oven to 425*. Place chicken into a bowl and toss with sauce. Put 4 tortillas on a cookie sheet or baking stone, and coat evenly with chicken/sauce mixture. Top with vegetables and cheese and place second tortillas on top. Spray tortillas with Pam spray and bake 8-10 minutes until lightly browned. Cut each into 4 wedges.
    Serves 8 (2 wedges per serving) 300 calories, and 10 grams of fat per 2 wedges.
    These are really good-especially if you like BBQ chicken pizza and mexican foods.
    I hope you try these out and enjoy them-I would also love it if you would all share some more recipes and their nutrition content...I am always looking for new recipe ideas.
    Everyone have a great day-I am looking forward to my strength training workout today...everyone eat well, drink their water-and keep looing up! You are all gorgeous vibrant women!
    Aphil
    ps-I just found out when our 10 year class reunion is-it is in August! Yay! I was hoping it would be later in the year...so I can get even more fit...and be down another size or two. I definitely plan on wearing something totally wild to the reunion...
  • Remember ME!
    Hi everybody! I have been reading all the posts and enjoying each one. I'm sorry I have not been very active...the semester is almost over and not soon enough. I plan to become very active starting May. My goal is to lose 30 lbs by the end of the year. I know that I can do it. I am already disgusted with my 200 lbs. My "love" handles are starting to peep out as they had before. I am just glad I know what I need to do in order to make it happen.

Well today I am sure didn't help me reach any goals. I celebrated all day today with TWO birthday cakes! They were yummy. Then my parents took me out to eat at a Chinese Restaurant...ugh. As my 6 year old so eloquently put it..."I'm about to blow!" It was too funny. I recieved a beautiful balloon bouquet at work from my parents. The ladies at work bought me a cake and a few presents and contributed to a gift certificate for Beall's. I was really surprised. I was so happy to have all of them share in my celebration. It was a wonderful day.

I had better get going...I have classes in the morning. I hope you all had a wonderful day!

Hugs & Smiles, Kina
  • Well, day 1 of the new lifestyle (I don't want to call it diet) is over. I have a headache!!!!! Do any of you ever get a headache on the first day of a diet (oops, there I said it). I always do and it drives me insane. I get really grumpy when I have a headache and when I'm hot. Right now I'm cold, but MY HEAD HURTS! Almost time for bed and I'll be better tomorrow.

Thanks for all the tips Aphil and Missymont. They are very helpful. In Canada, food manufacturers aren't required to put all the nutritional data on their labels. That requirement is in the works, but for now it's optional. So, I went out and bought a calorie counter today. That must be printed in the US as well, cause a lot of the brands listed are not here in Canada. Oh well, I'll figure it all out yet.

Missy, you mentioned that you use a diet software program for keeping track of your food. What is the name of that program and is it downloadable?

Here is my menu for today:

BF: 1 1/2 cups cheerios 180 Cal
    1 tsp sugar (I have to get me some Equal) 15 cal
    3/4 cup 1% milk (always have 1%) 75 cal
    large banana 120 cal

Snack: n/f yogurt 56 cal

Lunch: (I was on the road all day)
    McDonalds hamburger 280 cal
    n/f blueberry muffin (dog got at it when I left the van so I didn't eat it - Oooooh was I mad at him) 0 cal

Snack: 2 slices toast 180 cal
    1 Tbsp peanut butter 120 cal

Dinner: New recipe from a low fat cookbook called Looney Spoons (yay, I didn't have to figure the calories) called Orient Express - pasta, chicken, veggie type stirfry dish 568 cal
    1 small slice french bread 70 cal
    1 tsp butter 35 cal

Snack: 7 ritz crackers 129 cal
    diet coke 0 cal

Total 1797 calories for the day!!!!!!!!

That wasnt' even too hard. I also did my 30 minute Curves workout and took the dog for a brisk 30 minute walk. This fat will be disappearing in no time (I hope).

Better get to bed so I can get rid of this headache.

Ciao!
  • Good morning everyone!

willbe - you cracked me up about the dog eating the muffin! ("0 calories") Way to go on your first days of cutting down! Aphil always has super knowledge to share, and missymont had quite alot of good advice also!

I could offer a few tips that have helped me...if you like green salad, put alot on your plate at dinner (but only if you can eat it with a very small amount of reduced fat dressing, or "naked"). And I have always "wolfed" down my meals - probably from all the meals at work I've had to eat standing over the garbage pail so the trick of chewing each mouthful at least 20 times (thirty is better, for me) really helps to extend the mealtime, and gets you closer to that 20 minutes that it takes for the enjoyment of the food to reach the brain.

I became the "Green Bean Queen" of the house here; green beans are filling, fibrous and low calorie!

When you're choosing a veggie for dinner, we have to realize that corn and peas, while "posing" as veggies, are actually very starchy. If we have corn or peas at supper, I eliminate the starch (such as potato, rice, etc.). If the kids are "starving" I let them have some whole wheat bread.

Missymont is right - eyeballing is not accurate enough! Keep measuring cups and spoons handy.

Drinking enough water is very important, also. Are you able to drink the eight 8-ounce glasses a day? remember that diet soda or iced tea or Crystal LIght doesn't count as water intake. I like my water cold with meals; but can chug it down quicker in-between if it's not as cold. I also find it handy to just keep the water bottles everywhere - set one in the kitchen, by your computer, in the car, bedside table...make it easy to just reach out and gulp some down.

The water is just good for your insides; helps our skin stay a little less wrinkle-prone (yay!) and does help to fill the hungry feeling.

Missymont - great hike! I would say that because it was warmer, and carrying the backpack would make the exertion more difficult. Hooray to you!

Kina - sounds like you had a birthday!!! Sounds like the people who love you gave you a nice day!!!

Aphil - the kids will love that playset! Sounds great. Reunion in August - you will be the hottie there!

My husband has heard about the Atkins diet from a co-worker - and has started it. It goes against like EVERYTHING that I do - sigh - but I am glad that he wants to try. We walked alot last year; and the roads just haven't been good enough until this past week to start that again. If we can go walking together, at least I know that is sound.

But I've had to take our younger son aside and tell him that I don't think that Dad's diet plan is completely sound; but we will continue with our meals the way they have been, and give support to Dad.

Kanola - thank you for wishing the warmer weather for us; 60 degrees yesterday, and up to 70 today! It's still spring in Vermont,which means snow showers are possible through May, but it's a start!

I got my Joe Rocket pants finally yesterday; with those and the jacket, I am SET for cold/wet riding conditions! Bike covers are still on order; have my new boots (dingoes - ladies engineer boots - they look like they would kick some SERIOUS butt ); we got a bike lock, small but piercing alarm, new T-bag...getting set... 12 days to go!!

My lawn looks so bad from the ravages of winter, it would make you go blind to look at it those who live in cold, snowy climates know about the TONS of sand that gets on your lawn, the harshness of the salt, etc. It's almost warm enough for me to start the raking! I don't know whether to be excited or not

Hello to everyone else!!! Have a GREAT day!

Your friend, Holly
  • willbe-you did fabulous on your first day! I am so proud of you! You also cracked me up with the dog and the muffin...maybe that as a blessing in disguise!
    Holly-great advice about the water...your husband is starting Atkin's huh? Men seem to find Atkin's a lot easier than women-they as a whole don't tend to have the sugar addiction like women do, at least not as much. I don't personally recommend Atkin's-if you want low carb, there are other plans out there like Protein Power and the Zone that allow for more carbohydrates, which I think is essential. If he wants to try it out, all you can do is support him, and if it gets him to exercise regularly, then that is a positive.
    Kina-sounds like your celebration was great! I am glad that you had a good day!
    The kids had a blast on the swingset yesterday-Jason made a sandbox out of the square bottom frame under the "clubhouse" by lining it with the thick plastic sheeting that you use when you landscape, to keep the grass out of rocks, etc. and filling it with sand. It worked perfectly-needless to say we stripped them down in the garage last night, and had a pile of sand out there from out of their clothes...
    I am really looking forward to the class reunion at the end of summer...I am hoping to be in a size 13/14 by then...although an 11/12 would be even better! (I was about an 11/12 my senior year in high school)I am also looking forward to our annual Ren Faire anniversary trip in October...(to the newbies, my husband and I had a renaissance medieval themed wedding, and we go to Ohio each October for our anniversary at a large ren faire, and dress up and have fun all weekend.) Last year I went all regal and royalty in dress...but I think this year I may go for more of a "wench: or "gypsy" style look...ya know, with your "assets" popping out of the top of the dress....
    Well, I better get going. I have tons of housework to do, have to do my abwork-the rest of my workout will be tonight in class, and I need to get this top finished up to bring tonight.
    Everyone have a fabulous day!
    Aphil
  • It has been fun reading all the latest posts here. I have been traveling for work since Thursday. I have been from Wisconsin to Conneticut and from there to Texas and back to Wisconsin! Alot of food has passed through these lips this weekend...but I wieghed in at WW last night and was down 4.4 pounds!!!! This is actually for two weeks, since last week we had a snow storm here and our meeting was cancelled. Yesterday it was 88 degrees here, what a difference a week makes! I tried a great recipes last night that I want to share:

Chicken Quesidillas

1 chicken breast-chopped up, 1 can healthy request cream of chicken soup, 1 can chopped green chilis, 1/4 cup low-fat cheese and some chili powder. Mix this all together and spread on half of a low-fat tortilla. Fold over the other half and grill on a George Foreman grill. I served with salsa and fat-free refried beans. It was so good and filling.

Let me know if you try it... have a great day everyone!
  • Just an added note: don't use all the soup, just enough to make everything stick together. This will make about six quesidillas.
  • Happy Birthday Kina.

Willbe: you can download the Performance Diet software at healthkeeper.com. Its a free trial. It cost 29.95 to get the unlock code so you can have access to the whole program. With that you also get all the online support like at e-diet, eating plan, etc. You can also buddy up and have someone join for free with you. I have to be honest about my dishonesty. I downloaded the free trial and then searched the web for an unlock code. Since I didn't pay for it, I didn't get a special password to utilize the online services, but the software itself is very good.

Vermontmom: maybe you're hubby will come around when he realizes how expensive the Atkins diet can be! Not to mention boring. Hang in there!

Have a happy day all.
  • Thanks Ladies for the wonderful birthday wishes.

Someone mentioned Atkins...I tell you my husband followed Atkins for a while and lost close to 40 lbs in a matter of 2 months. He also would get exercise daily. He would watch the carbs he ate. I have to admit I tried it myself and I always felt bloated and it did get boring really quick. So now I try to just balance my meals equally and sensibly.

Missy~~~that Performance Diet sounds interesting. I may look into it myself. Thanks for mentioning it!

IP (Ideal Person)~~~Those chicken quesadillas sound so yummy. Wow down 4.4 lbs even with all the travel food. That is amazing! Bravo to you; you obviously were not over doing it on the amounts you were eating.

Amy~~~What great timing for the swing set. Our kids would like a trampoline and they just might get it some time this summer. Well after we get the van fixed actually.

Holly~~~60 degree weather is that normal for April? That is something we did get some cool temps the other day but it only lasted for a short while. In Texas cooler temps are always welcomed with open arms.

Willbe!~~~Sometimes my body reacts with headaches when I have over exerted myself in exercise or have taken something out of my usual food intake. For instance...bread taken out of my life will cause a headache. As I mentioned if I exercise more than usual which will cause my heart to work a little harder and maybe have me breathing a little deeper, something I am not use to, it will certainly cause like a brain rush which then give me a head ache. I hope you are feeling better by now.

I hope I didn't leave anyone out. It was great being able to communicat with you all. I have a big project for my Payroll Accounting class so I will get out of here!

Hugs & Smiles, Kina