General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:05 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 214/190/140

Height: 5'5"

I also went for a figure that a) put me in the healthy bmi range and b) one I can remember sustaining for some years albeit it MANY years ago
Elliemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 232/217/145

Height: 5'6"

My goal weight was easy - I was thin my entire life until having kids. Went from 99 pounds in highschool and college to the 120s and around 130 when I got married - So I figure anything under 150 is close enough for my height. 100 pounds for the first 5 feet and five pounds for each additional inch - means I should be around 130 - but 149 works for me...esp. considering where I am now. Good luck on your journey!
chickadee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #18  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

I did not pick a goal weight and still haven't.

There are two reasons for that. First, I haven't been my current weight in well over 20 years. Until I got here I had no idea what my body would look and feel like at this weight. So it seemed pointless to assign what is essentially an arbitrary number as "goal" when I knew that number would just change when I got closer to it.

Second, and more importantly, whether my goal weight is 150 or 155 or whatever made absolutely not an iota of difference to what I actually had to do for most of my weight loss process. It wouldn't affect a single choice I had to make. And so I focused my effort and thinking on how to eat less and move more, and how to engineer my environment to make doing those things easier - the real work of losing weight. The ultimate goal number just doesn't matter. It doesn't change what you have to do today.

And so, I never chose a numerical goal. I have said all along, that I will know when I get there - either I'll be happy with how my body looks and feels, or I will decide that going further is more work than I am willing/able to put in. I haven't reached either of those points yet, although I am close enough that I'm starting to think about maintenance.

But only then - only when I am ready to transition to maintenance - will I assign a number, the "red flag" number I don't want to let my weight exceed while in maintenance. Even know I don't know what that number will be - 150? 155? 160? I'll get a better sense of it over the next few months.

Last edited by carter; 06-15-2012 at 10:12 AM.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

I chose a weight smack in the middle of my healthy BMI range and told myself "plus or minus 5 lbs is acceptable". It's also the weight I was in my senior year of high school and I remember being thin but not skinny, and since my fiance likes curves on his women, I'm not going to push myself past what he'd find attractive even if I could.
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #20  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
High end of what? We're the same height so it should be similar unless it includes frame size?
Yes, frame size. Also different online calculators will shift it around a bit so I don't much stress about some future number. When I'm closer to it, I'll worry about fine tuning it better. Right now just getting under 200 lbs would be a huge change of improvement for me!

Since I have to cruise thru a lot of numbers to get in the ballpark, I'll worry about hitting the ball park first, then worry about what position I'm supposed to be in.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #21  
Crazygurl61

S/C/G: 165/154.7/115

Height: 5'2

I liked the number. Hah
crazygurl61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #22  

Though I think 130 would be more ideal than 150, I wanted to set a more reasonable goal rather than starting off the bat with 100 pounds to lose. I sometimes find it hard to stay motivated when I know I have so much to lose. But looking at my ticker now (waiting those 20 days to get it was unbearable), I'm already 1/3 to my first goal. It excites me.
queenie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 190/175/145

Height: 5'4"

I weighed around 120 until around age 30. I got pregnant when I was 34...and I weighed 135 then. I gained 25 lb while pregnant and weight 160 the day she was born. I weighed 143, the day I left the hospital, following a c section. I haven't been below 143 since then. My goal is 145 and I think that would be okay, considering my age...65. I will re-evaluate once I get there.
byugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 192/134/127

Height: 5'3.75"

This may sound weird, but I have a goal number that I have here, 127, and that's a healthy mid-BMI number for my height. It's the number I use at WW and with my doctor and wherever someone asks, what is your goal. It's a realistic and achievable number.
I have a second goal weight that I keep to myself, it's my secret dream number. It's the number that it would likely take to see my abs, to have definition and to feel comfortable in a bikini. It's my inner fitness model number. This is a number I may never reach, but will always strive toward.
moviegrl1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #25  
Laura

Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest! Tacoma, Washington

S/C/G: 330/268/150

Height: 5'7"

Arrow

I just started on this journey to lose weight so I've been pondering my goal as well. I chose 165 because that is half of my starting weight. I figure I am twice the size I should be at a healthy weight for a 35 year old woman who is 5'7". I weighed 180 at the beginning of high school and around 200 by graduation. All I knew then was that I was overweight compared to my classmates. I gave up. If I had lost 20 lbs instead of gained I would have been a happier, healthier adult. Now I'm double the age I was in high school and double the weight. I can't go back and change it but I want to move forward and get healthy!
Chubbygirl253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:37 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 307/ticker/???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee2 View Post
100 pounds for the first 5 feet and five pounds for each additional inch -
Thanks! Is the 5lbs for each additional inch a thing? I'd not heard that before but it's interesting to me. I'd like some idea of how much the like, standard equipment is supposed to weigh. What we weigh in organs and bones etc.
Captious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:39 AM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
Right now just getting under 200 lbs would be a huge change of improvement for me!

Since I have to cruise thru a lot of numbers to get in the ballpark, I'll worry about hitting the ball park first, then worry about what position I'm supposed to be in.

A.
Ha! Definitely there. I have no idea what I should be but do know I want to be under 200. It's so far though.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #28  

I ended up going with half of normal BMI for the ticker although I have no idea if that's actually my goal. I have more of an idea in terms of clothing size. I really don't want to be less than an 8, as I have a preference for curves, but I want to get into a 14 or less so I can buy normal clothes!

I did 262 for first mini goal because it was the point where I'd go from being morbidly obese to just obese on the bmi calculator. lol
Old 07-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #29  
Laura

Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest! Tacoma, Washington

S/C/G: 330/268/150

Height: 5'7"

Default good question!

well, at 330 I knew I weighed enough for 2 people. And, I don't mean 2 children. So I just decided I want to lose half my body weight. So I made my goal 165. Exactly half. At first I lied to myself and said I would be happy to reach 'One-derland' at 199, but the truth is I remember being smaller than that in high school and still being one of the chubbiest girls in my class. The truth is if I want to go through all the hard work of meeting my goal I want to feel like I reached my ultimate destination, not like I want to lose another 30 or 40 pounds. I know my boyfriend loves my curves and I like being voluptuous as well. At 5'7 the 165 pound goal I have set for myself would still put me at the very top of the normal BMI range so I think I will still be curvy, not skinny.

It's been so long since I've been at that weight that who knows how it will look on me. I was in junior high last time I was 165. I think I am medium framed but I haven't seen my frame in so long, who really knows.
Chubbygirl253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 150/see tracker/110

Height: 5'1"

I'm really short, so even though 110 may sound impossible, it's actually normal for my height.

I might reconsider once I hit 120 or so... but I'll have to get there first. Like others have said in this thread, I'll know when I'm where I want to be.
CoffeeFueledUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote