General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 346/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleming View Post
alyssarof2012, as jazbcure said (quote below), we can't always know what people eat all the time... what they eat in public, as in your description of your friend at the buffet, may not be a true representation of how they eat all the time...

Just sayin'
It's not an assumption, as it's something she's always talking about (how she eats sooo much all the time). She gloats on the fact that she never gains weight, but says she needs to stop because she knows it will catch up to her.
alyssarof2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #62  
HugsFromHeather

Default This is infact scientifically proven!

Alright ladies, this is infact TRUE and has been true since the day the world began. Whether it has been aware to you or not, we are all mammals, and considered our own species of animal. Like other types of animals, lets compare. One thing we have in common with other mammals is like us, they CAN become fat. But for different "instincts" of reason, right?
An example of that would be, why do you think bears and squirrels store extra food, but also eat so much during fall to where they become significantly heavier? Because they hibernate during the winter months, and it is much too cold to go rummaging for food. The animal becomes FATTER because their bodies live off the food they have stored within themselves. Your body is like a refridgerator. And although it does need water everyday to maintain it, you CAN eat less and have your body burn the extra fat because it knows that's what its supposed to do. Humans are no different. What society has taught us is complete and utter BULLSHIT. Why do we have to eat 3 meals a day? How big do companies make the average plate an American uses? Much bigger than what "The FDA" considers a portion size. The truth of the matter is, my body only PHYSICALLY signals to me that I am hungry about once a day. And depending on how much I eat, maybe twice. Listen to your body, and not what society tells you. The only thing it has been right about it eating healthy and exercise. But that's a no brainer, and you wouldn't need society to help you figure that one out. But do you really think that the FDA cares about America's health? No, it doesnt. It cares only about how much MONEY it can make by the food products they give us. They purposefully put in chemicals that are PROVEN to be addicting so we will buy more. For example, hot cheetos. They burn your tongue, and leave a harsh red dye behind. They taste kind of weird if you really think about it. But your brain wants MORE. It has been proven that people with food addictions get the same amount of brain activity that a cocaine user experiences. Now do you believe that this is all a devilish game played by big food companies? Do you not think they know what MAN MADE chemicals go inside of their products? Lets not be oblivious. It all goes back to that question of "Who decided to drink the white liquid that came out of a cow's utters?" Obviously, it was a very curious person. And then the substance went into the hands of money hungry people. What is cow's milk used for? Oh, that's an easy question! Any species of female's milk has only come to be for one solely purpose. To fatten up the weak baby that has come into the world.
Let me say that again.
TO GIVE FATTENING NUTRIENTS TO A PHYSICALLY WEAK ORGANISM THAT CANNOT YET EAT SOLID FOODS.

So why on earth would food companies sell us a substance that is not meant for us unless we are baby cows?
MONEY.

And this ladies and gentlemen is the reason America is obese. Because we were fish suckered in by the self-harming bait set up by our own government.

So, to get back to the main topic of why most skinny girls are skinny? It's because they eat less crap and get the joys out of life instead of food.
And that is the cold hard truth.

Stay healthy everyone.
-HugsFromHeather
Hugsfromheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 180/136.5/130

Height: 5"6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugsfromheather View Post
Alright ladies, this is infact TRUE and has been true since the day the world began. Whether it has been aware to you or not, we are all mammals, and considered our own species of animal. Like other types of animals, lets compare. One thing we have in common with other mammals is like us, they CAN become fat. But for different "instincts" of reason, right?
An example of that would be, why do you think bears and squirrels store extra food, but also eat so much during fall to where they become significantly heavier? Because they hibernate during the winter months, and it is much too cold to go rummaging for food. The animal becomes FATTER because their bodies live off the food they have stored within themselves. Your body is like a refridgerator. And although it does need water everyday to maintain it, you CAN eat less and have your body burn the extra fat because it knows that's what its supposed to do. Humans are no different. What society has taught us is complete and utter BULLSHIT. Why do we have to eat 3 meals a day? How big do companies make the average plate an American uses? Much bigger than what "The FDA" considers a portion size. The truth of the matter is, my body only PHYSICALLY signals to me that I am hungry about once a day. And depending on how much I eat, maybe twice. Listen to your body, and not what society tells you. The only thing it has been right about it eating healthy and exercise. But that's a no brainer, and you wouldn't need society to help you figure that one out. But do you really think that the FDA cares about America's health? No, it doesnt. It cares only about how much MONEY it can make by the food products they give us. They purposefully put in chemicals that are PROVEN to be addicting so we will buy more. For example, hot cheetos. They burn your tongue, and leave a harsh red dye behind. They taste kind of weird if you really think about it. But your brain wants MORE. It has been proven that people with food addictions get the same amount of brain activity that a cocaine user experiences. Now do you believe that this is all a devilish game played by big food companies? Do you not think they know what MAN MADE chemicals go inside of their products? Lets not be oblivious. It all goes back to that question of "Who decided to drink the white liquid that came out of a cow's utters?" Obviously, it was a very curious person. And then the substance went into the hands of money hungry people. What is cow's milk used for? Oh, that's an easy question! Any species of female's milk has only come to be for one solely purpose. To fatten up the weak baby that has come into the world.
Let me say that again.
TO GIVE FATTENING NUTRIENTS TO A PHYSICALLY WEAK ORGANISM THAT CANNOT YET EAT SOLID FOODS.

So why on earth would food companies sell us a substance that is not meant for us unless we are baby cows?
MONEY.

And this ladies and gentlemen is the reason America is obese. Because we were fish suckered in by the self-harming bait set up by our own government.

So, to get back to the main topic of why most skinny girls are skinny? It's because they eat less crap and get the joys out of life instead of food.
And that is the cold hard truth.

Stay healthy everyone.
-HugsFromHeather
Lol! Your post made me laugh, in a good way. I've never been a milk person and now treat it as an allergen (as well as gluten, but that's another story). Having a health issue that provoked me to do my own research on food, I came to the conclusion that, as you said, milk is for COWS! Lol. This is funny, because even though it's 1000% true, when people hear it for the first time, their eyes light up, like "WHOA!!! Really? Gross!" And, yes, it IS gross. I have two daughters, one 9 and the other not yet 2. My 9 year old has access to organic whole milk, if she wants it; but most often given the choice, she chooses water. My toddler has severe gastric reflux from birth and possibly a mystery allergy, so for now, she drinks what she can tolerate, which unfortunately is a processed toddler formula. When her allergy issues are sorted and her reflux is under control, she will have the same options as the 9 year old: whole organic milk or Non-HMO almond milk (or water, obviously). I cannot tell you how sick I was every morning growing up after being fed a bowl of cereal, obviously with milk. I'm now 30 and have a disease which seems to grow when fed dairy. Every single nutrient that milk offers is available in VEGETABLES. I don't know when we became a 3 glass of milk a day society, but it's a habit our kids (especially our GIRLS) can live without.
mrslynah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #64  

Height: 6-1.5

I used to be a skinny girl. I would eat a huge dinner at about 5 pm, but I would not eat any breakfast, nor lunch. I was a growing girl, and my parents were not very "present" as parents so no one watched me eat until evening meal. So I ate one meal per day. It was only when I got used to eating 3 meals a day that I began to gain weight.

I have done a ton of weight loss methods since then, but I have been afraid to go back to the "one meal per day" method because people say it is so bad for you. I do not see why. I mean, if you have fat on you, then use up that fat rather than put more fat on top of that fat.

After reading around a bit, I have realized that people are meant to put on weight, but use any weight they put on quickly after. They were not meant to walk around for years and years with extra weight. Also people were meant to go without meals, and they were made to eat "very little." Why else would we have such a useful food storage system?

I wonder...
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #65  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by giselley View Post

I have done a ton of weight loss methods since then, but I have been afraid to go back to the "one meal per day" method because people say it is so bad for you.
There are a lot of myths and distorted truths of weight loss. Recent research of intermittent fasting (usually eating 1-2 meals a day or limiting the days calorie intake to a shortened window of time) seem to suggest that many folks (most men and some women) do just fine on IF.

The exceptions seem to be people with blood sugar dissorders and possiby women of childbearing age (suggested by some of the research), but it may not be that simple (there may be other factors at play).

Personally, I think meal-skipping has gotten a bad rap because of the ways dieters and disordered eaters have historically used it irresponsibly and recklessly - skipping meals to the point of weakness and other adverse symptoms or eating more in one meal than they would have in three.

If you can eat one meal and feel and function well, I suspect there are few if any ill effects, though for some of us, that's a pretty big if.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 206/201/160

Height: 5'9"

I have a skinny friend who can eat and eat and not get fat. But truth be told, I've watched her eat many times over the years. She really doesn't eat that much compared to me. And also she eats really really slow, unlike me.

She would also tell me that she hasn't ate all day and her first meal would be at 6pm. Or even say she hasn't eaten in 2 days. Or she had a Cookie and coffee for breakfast. There are times when she can shove down a quarter pounder and large fry with a large milkshake, but I think it's because she's barely eaten all week. When we hang out, she always ask me if I'm hungry (always). I think she knows she hardly eats and doesn't want me to suffer while hanging out. She's not afraid of gaining weight bc she fluctuates from 118-130 but her body still looks the same except maybe her hips. She isn't that active either, so I think her weight maintenance is via IF, and she doesn't know it.

Since I haven't lived my life like that it would be difficult for me to go hardcore like her. But slowly but surely I'm listening to my body say its hungry or not. And not to eat something bc it looks yummy (cake drool, darn my fiancé for getting it).
overonica88o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #67  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The advice I often get from "naturally thin" friends and family is to do as they do and "eat only when you're hungry."

That's how I gained weight in the first place! Some thin folk may burn more calories, some may eat less, but what if they do so because they're just less hungry.

I find it more helpful to deal with my hunger and food intake based on my experience with my own body than trying to find a thin person to emulate. Reduced carb helps me conquer my hunger so that I can eat less without being miserable. Emulating a thin person who isn't carb sensitive could be disastrous. At the very least, I would be maddeningly hungry while losing weight.

Low-carb probably isn't necessary for everyone, but without it, I'm either gaining weight or miserably hungry. With low-carb, I'm neither.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I'll never understand people who don't care to eat or forget to eat or take the smallest possible portion. It's foreign to me. I have an aunt who literally never eats. I love visiting her because she's fun but she packs our day with activities but by 3 o'clock there is not a morsel of food in sight and I have to literally ask her if I can eat something please! It's like food doesn't even cross her mind and I feel horrible eating and she doesn't.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #69  

really enjoyed reading this thread. I have trouble whether I am eating out or eating in with amounts and what I eat. Food is just such a problem to me all the way around. That includes my attitude about it also.
grabec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #70  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

I found this thread very interesting. I recently went to a wedding and I casually observed what the women at my table were eating just out of curiosity.

There was another fit woman at the table and we both ended up having a lot of veggies, a good sized portion of meat and water with no carbs, dessert or alcohol. The skinny woman had a little of everything but ate maybe 25% of the food (a lot of good food went to waste) and water with no dessert. The overweight woman had a large plate of everything, went back for seconds and had 1.5 servings of dessert and lots of wine.

Later on the other fit woman and I started to bond a little over health and fitness topics and she started to mention the skinny woman's plate. I changed the subject because I was not going there plus it was not my business. I did found observing the eating patterns very interesting though.
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:50 AM   #71  

Default Yeah I Noticed They Don't

My entire life I have had a voracious :eating 2: appetite and assumed everyone around me did too. Most girls that were skinny I assumed ate a lot like me but had faster metabolisms so I wondered why they were so thin. So for the past couple of years I have been paying attention to what some of the skinny people eat and have found the same thing (borderline nonexistent eating patterns).

Im starting to realize that a lot of people are thin not because they have an extraordinary metabolism or because they have a blah relationship with food, but rather because they want to be thin so they eat accordingly
{Obviously, it's deemed attractive to be thin (people look up to the famous and successful) and there are people that are willing to do anything to be thin.}

One example out of plenty, I had a friend that wouldn't eat because she wanted to be skinny to appeal ( superficial ) to guys, then once she got a boyfriend she started eating eventually and they broke up and she went back to eating near nothing (skipping breakfast, drinking coffee, maybe eating half of one meal or a basic salad).

Whether you want to gain O R lose, I just hope people are being healthy regardless of their size, because your old you (God be willing) is going to be mad if it will have to pay for the repercussions of the young you.
BhealthyBhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #72  
Earning back my muscles

S/C/G: 184/184/size 8

Height: 5'5

Almost My whole life I've been about average weight. I've usually eaten only when hungry. I've never thought too much about my weight. I gained a lot with each pregnancy because I ate fast food almost always. But I'd skip breakfast and lunch many times just because I was busy and just didn't feel like eating.

After I had my 1st baby, I went back to size 8/10 in less than 2 months without thought. When my 2nd baby was 2 or3, I looked at a picture and saw that I was bigger than I wanted to be (I was a 12/14 at 165ish lbs). This was the first time I started trying to lose weight. I started eating healthy/cut out fast food/exercising & slowly lost the weight and maintained at 135/140 for several years easily. Seriously no problems maintaining. It was simple. No thought to it. I even dipped down into 125 and just ate more. I didn't want to be too small.

Last spring, I started Effexor for migraine prevention. (Only helped my tension headaches, not my migraines at all!) It made me ravenous. I couldn't eat enough. I still didn't think about my weight. If I was hungry, it meant my body needed more, right? I was gaining weight rapidly, but even though I was counting calories, I was still somehow still gaining quickly. My labs showed that in just 6 months I went from having perfect chloresterol and blood pressure to having high bp/cholesterol. I obviously went off of Effexor 45 lbs heavier. I figured it would come off quickly, but I'm struggling!

Right now, I cannot have foods such as m&ms, ice cream in the house. I bet in a few months I'll be able to, but who knows. I am kind of glad I had this experience with Effexor. I always believed people when they said they experienced weight gain from medication or that their appetite was big, but experiencing it brings a whole new level of compassion, which is good for my line of work! I feel like my appetite has been reset, like I've been reset to expect more food, but I do feel like it's getting back to my normal. It's getting easier every day

So I dont know , I've been on both sides. I can tell you, if you naturally have a big appetite, my sympathies are with you. You can have all the well intentions, strategies, and plans in the world, but it's just all consuming. I want to cry just remembering what that was like, never feeling full or satisfied for long

Last edited by HIheart; 06-21-2015 at 05:04 PM.
HIheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:06 PM   #73  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Interesting. I do agree, on the whole, that skinny people eat less.

But most people miss a trick. You can eat a lot but still be skinny. You just need to eat the right stuff. Eat clean. Lots of veggies. Lean protein. Not much dairy. Some complex carbs.

I eat a lot but don't get fat.

A calorie is not a calorie.

Last edited by IanG; 06-21-2015 at 07:08 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:39 PM   #74  
Yoyo Master

S/C/G: 182/175/130

Height: 5'5"

I realize this is an old thread, but I can't resist adding a little tidbit about a skinny friend of mine.

Seriously, she ate 1 bite out a donut, that was in a full box....just that bite and nothing more.

To this day I am in awe of that. I did ask her about it and she said she just needed a taste and that was enough.

I on the other hand can't have donuts around.
Alright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:46 PM   #75  

Height: 5'4

Is this really a revelation that those who maintain a lower body fat percentage generally eat fewer calories?

There are the outliers; bodybuilders, extremely active athletes, etc. but the energy equation is still the same.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote