General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 211/199/147

Height: 5ft 2inch

i everyone,
i am just completed my first week of IF, based on ESE. i plan to weigh only every 2 weeks, on a morning after a normal eating day, as i want a real weight instead of a post fasting weight. is that the most sensible thing to do? i noticed that some of you weigh your selves quite often. I dont want to demotivate my self, so am thinking of weighing only every 2nd week- though i know i will want to do it more often.

in the past i have always found my weight loss very slow- 1/2 to 1 lb a week and go up pre menstrual- all of which i find really disheartening. what kind of results should i expect?
i am aiming to lose 56 lbs, though if i read all the height charts i should be looking at 80lbs. to lose- but i cannot even imagine being that small- nor do i want to be.

any way, have any of you lost significant amounts using the fasting method? have you found it easy to keep to?
thanks.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 330/327/250

Height: 5'5

Hi all. Im jumping in. I just discovered the concept of IF about a week ago while looking for recpies for a juice fast I was planning to start. I was going to do a two week juice fast when I found IF. I've done long term juice fasts in the past. The concept of IF never even occured to me. It was like a light bulb moment. This may be the perfect plan for me. I enjoy fasting or rather the feeling it gives me. I can usually stick to some sort of diet plan for a while but then lose interest. I hate counting calories, tracking food groups, eliminating a food group etc. I'm so excited with this way of eating. This is something I can do FOREVER. Happy day. I am doing 7pm-7pm fast today. It's my second one.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #63  

hi msgypsylee,
ive just started too, will be good to share!!
do you have a lot of weight to lose? i'm aiming for 56 lbs.
have just finished my first week went well. I work shifts and have found other diets really hard to follow as i cant stop and eat at set times- Im a nurse.
i do combinations of shifts, some early starts, some late starts and some 14 hour days.
i have been fasting on my long days- after breakfast- and it fitted in really well last week. didn't really feel hungry.
you say you have fasted before- how did you find your concentration levels. i havent had any probs yet but wondered if it affects it after a while.
anyway- good luck, and like you i hope to adopt this plan for a very long time.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #64  

hi Italiannie,
have just been reading some of your blog, and see that yours is a very similar story to mine- and most of us i suspect.
good to see that you are having success with fasting, and was also interested that you are using a combination of ESE and fast five. i may do the same, but will stick with ESE for now.
anyway, just wanted to say hi and well done, and thank you for your inspiration.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #65  
IF for Life

S/C/G: 198/183/147

Height: 5'8"

Hi Moozie, Thanks for your kind words. Yes, we're all in it together!
I'm losing about 1-2lbs a week on Fast-5. I absolutely love the ease of this.

I may do a 24 hr fast -ESE- tomorrow, as I do want to drop pounds more quickly, and I do believe there are health benefits to the 24 hour thing.

I'm into week 5, I think and down just under 10lbs (there was a time when that would not have been nearly enough for me). I promised myself that if I saw a consistent 1lb per week loss that I wouldn't get discouraged (easier said than done).

I do think that because this plan is such a no-brainer, that I'll be fine in the long run, which is what I was looking for this time around. I am looking to reach my goal weight sometime this summer, but my ultimate goal is to stay with IF, knowing the weight piece of the puzzle will follow.

msgypsielee - welcome to you too.

Let's keep checking in to encourage each other.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Welcome! The more the merrier!

I'm someone who does best when I weigh everyday. It keeps me accountable. The last time I stopped getting on the scale daily, I went from 183 to 207. Never again!

My fasting days for this week are Wednesday and Saturday. I plan on starting my fasts earlier in the day (thinking around 4 or 5) instead of 7 or 8 like I'm used to. It will be nice to change things up a little.

Keep up the good work, everyone!

Last edited by sapphiregirl; 01-20-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #67  

Hi all,
have just finished my first working Fast. ate breakfast at 6.30am and then worked from 7am till 9pm, without really feeling hungry. was really surprised as i thought i would want to snack. concentration was good and I was actually quite productive.
got another long day tomorrow- 7am-9pm again and plan to end my fast with lunch. will be interesting to see if i make it till then. its 1030pm now, so not worried about tonight, but may need something in the morning.

i am hoping that i will miss 3 meals with each fast, if I can, though im trying not to be too rigid, as i dont want to feel upset with myself if I eat earlier.
also really looking forward to weigh next week!.

speak soon
Old 01-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #68  

yay,
got through till lunch time, so managed to fast from 6.30am yesterday till 12 noon today. breakfast time was difficult, but once i got to work it was fine- though there were lots of chocolates around, which i resisted.
actually, it wasnt so much that i wanted them, but its habit- see food and eat it.
i definitely find it easier to say no to all food than to have to control and limit.
yep, this is the way for me.

Sapphire girl, do you miss a whole days worth of food- ie 3 meals or do you just go on the length of time? i know i need to be patient, but im sure we are all the same- i want to know whats going to work best, rather than waiting to see.

thanks for reading
Old 01-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #69  

oh,
forgot to ask,
has anyone worked nights and fasted?
i have to work 2 nights - Sunday and Monday. i don't do them very often, so find them hard at the best of times. i often end up eating all day, then all night, but I want to do some kind of fast.

my shift starts at 830pm and ends at 715am. i can never sleep for more than 5 hours, so am awake a long time.any suggestions?
thanks
Old 01-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #70  
IF for Life

S/C/G: 198/183/147

Height: 5'8"

Hi Moozie,
I don't work nights, so I can't offer scheduling advise. Is your job a very physical one? I wouldn't worry about fasting during those two in a row night shifts. I think you may find that you are naturally eating less, because you have established the fasting pattern for yourself. You could always commit to eating light or fasting for a portion of it, at least until you've been doing ESE for a while and it becomes second nature to you.

Try to look at your fasts as part of an entire week's plan, so you don't exhaust yourself or run into trouble. If you're doing 2-3 fasts per week, you may have to juggle until you find a plan that works with your work schedule.

Don't worry about being perfect, or racing to the finish line. Trial and error are OK until you have something that works for you over the long haul.
The beauty of IF is the flexibility.

It sounds like you're really working on getting a grip on it. Keep going.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #71  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 151/142/130

Height: 5ft 9

Ahh I've had to give up eat STOP eat or IF.. it's a long complicated story but lots of family stuff has hit the fan and I live with my mum who isn't coping with it that well and has severe depression and if I'm not eating and cooking she's not.. so well I can't be doing 24 or even 12 hour fasts cos then she'll be doing which won't be good for her atm (although she is obese her mental state of mind is waaay more important atm) so.. yeah I'm a bit gutted cos I really liked this and was getting gradual but steady results and now I've hit a plateau which is so frustrating and I think a fast would fix but I can't justify it atm... but am switching to a low GI calorie restricted diet instead.. does anyone know a thread or section where there are low GI followers cos I haven't found one?

Oh and thanks for all the support especially from you Italianne! I'm hoping to be back to this eventually.

Last edited by PaintedButterfly; 01-17-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #72  

painted butterfly,
really sorry to hear of your problems. dieting is so hard when you have to consider those you love.
normally i would say you need to put your self first. but I know how important my Mum is to me, and know i would do the same.
i hope she is getting the medical care she needs, and im sure hat you support and understanding will help her through too.
i hope you find the GI thing helps, and maybe in the future you will check in and let us know how its going.

your posts have been a real help to me, when i started reading them last week, they helped me decide to try IF.
good luck and stay well.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:51 AM   #73  

hi Italiannie,
thanks for that.
Im a nurse manager and whilst the job can be physical, the night shift will be mostly me having meetings with my staff.
i think you are right, i will just go with the flow on the nights- they only come up once every month or 2.

i was just panicking because i find it really screws up my body clock and i want to eat at normal times- ie breakfast, lunch , tea but then i want to eat at night too. doesn't help that i dont sleep well.

I think i will try a limited fats period before the first night duty- so that i can then eat at night. and then forget about fasting till after ive finished.

am actually quite enjoying the fasting, which has surprised me.have a lunch date with my best friend today and im not at all worried about what im going to eat.

did you do your 24 hour fast? how did it go?
speak soon
Old 01-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #74  

S/C/G: Starting weight - 337

Height: 6ft

Hey everyone,

I've got the ESE deluxe with audio and pdf file, etc. I'm reading over it and seeing everyones comments here. Though I do have the book, is anyone willing to describe to me in their own words on how this is done? I'm worried about getting headaches when I don't eat, and feeling light headed, which usually happens if I don't eat for a while. Do you work out on the days that you fast? Thanks everyone
Old 01-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Hi Ellay,

I've been doing ESE since December 7th and I've been successful so far. I do two 24 hour fasts a week, usually from 7pm to 7pm. I haven't had trouble with any dizziness and/or headaches while doing my fasts but I know this differs depending on the person. I have jogged or done Zumba on several of my fasting days and haven't had any problems.
Closed Thread