Plant Strong (not necessarily vegetarian) Fuhrman McDougall Pollan Ornish Bittman etc

You're on Page 3 of 14
Go to
  • rdw1 Thanks for sharing your menu! It looks delicious. What is the tofu mixture you use for cheese? I love creative ways of using tofu...

jansan I also make hot chocoalte... using leftover coffee! Weird I know. I usually only drink 1/2 of my morning coffee (with a splash of milk and sugar) and save the rest in the fridge. In the evening I fill the cup the rest of the way up with soy milk, add 1 pack sugar substitute, 1 splash of vanilla extract, and 1 tbs cocoa powder. The coffee helps to increase the quantity of the drink without increasing the calories- and adding a flavor twist.

jansan & Suzanne thanks for your input I have been at 124-122 for 5+ months now, and I've realized I'm probably at my stopping point for weight loss. My body just doesn't seem to want to lose any more and I'm accepting that.

I started eating at maintenance this week and am up 3 lbs... which is why I'm a bit nervous about following E2L without CCing. I think my maintenance calories are really low- maybe 1400 or so? not sure yet- so I think I have little room for error in cals. Will continue to play around with CCing and not CCing and see what happens.

Beck Welcome! Your salads sound wonderful.... mmmm. I'm glad you're posting here- most of us are not following a strict vegetarian or vegan diet... or are doing so with a few exceptions a week. I too get in a bit of dairy in my coffee and a piece of fish once a week or so. I think my body needs the protein.

justducky Welcome to you as well! I really like the plan you are following (low glycemic, almost vegan, gluten-free). I feel so much better on a low-gi diet and have cut out almost all grains. I'd love to hear some of your go-to meals or recipes!

~~

I enjoyed a HUGE 250 g spinach salad yesterday. Eating raw greens (spinach, cabbage) here is always a risk because of soil contamination and poor hygiene (I live in India). But I do it anyway... it's a risk I'm willing to take. And the salad was so flippin' delicious!
  • Hi everyone!

Almost bedtime here. Lunch today was sauteed leeks, leftover mushroom soup, dates, and a protein shake. Dinner was a bit of dal (lentils), and stir fry broccoli with crumbled garden burger. (With a number of bites and nibbles here and there.)

I know that's a lot of processed food, but I really have been trouble getting enough protein lately. I rarely get more than 40 g a day following Furhman closely.

Also have been having a craving for mung been dessert lately and found this recipe: Mung-Date Chocolate Spread. I made it and had a good bit after dinner. Delicious!!
  • indi- I would have to do the same thing and take the risk with the salad! lol And how much protien is your goal? I get usually between 40-50g and I think that is plenty?(for me, imo...lol) tofu is a great source of protien... I try to stay away from the isolated almost anything outside of my multivitamin... and b12

as far as the tofu filling I don't measure things but I will try to give you an idea...

I take a half block of tj's extra firm tofu and mash it using a fork, add some garlic powder, fresh basil, salt and pepper or whatever seasonings I am feeling at the time and voila! lol I usually don't precook my noodles so I don't worry about squeezing the tofu first, but if you are I would recommend getting rid of some of the moisture...

I have also done the same thing using white beans- but the texture of the tofu is more like ricotta

I am getting ready to hit up Trader Joes and Whole paycheck for thanksgiving goodies. Think I will make a nice Kale salad... and definitely be eating their salad bar for lunch ;0)

Hope you ladies are doing well!
  • I did quite well yesterday and was mostly compliant.

Am off to shop soon too. It's amazing how many veggies I am going through. I'll stop at Trader Joes. There is a Whole Foods, but not very close. I need to take a field trip and see what they carry. Haven't been there for awhile.

I must admit I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving meal. I haven't overeaten at it for a number of years thankfully, but I am looking forward to having some real turkey. Hope I wont go to vegan h*ll.
  • Grr, all I had yesterday was a bowl of oatmeal. My fever spiked and I had no appetite. Today is much better but I anticipate another soup day. I'm glad I don't have a large stock of fresh veggies to cook. That's the only bad thing about living on fresh food. Once you buy it, you better be prepared to eat it.

I wish I had a Trader Joes, I've heard so many good things about them! We do have a store similar to Whole Foods but they are so expensive. I still do what I can there and try to eat as organic as possible.

Every year I promise myself that I'll have a garden and I swear 2012 will be the year Imagine being able to go out and pick almost everything we eat from a garden! Do any of you garden?
  • Jansan- I love whole foods but mostly just for lunch- there are a few things I buy from there but I shop mostly at Joe the trader's store
    The prices are soooo much better~! I have been a vegetarian for 7 years now and turkey is the one thing I used to say I missed... I am fine without it but it sure does smell tempting...though I could never cave ;0)

Suzanne- I garden, or sort of for the past 3 years... I love it at first but always plant everything too close and about halfway through summer I grow veggies and weeds as tall as I am. lol. Its so much work. I always end up weeding at first then just letting it go. I decided last summer that next year will be the year I do a raised bed and only plant a few things... I do have some asparagus that I get to pick next year! 3 LONG years of waiting! lol... I do LOVE just walking out and picking the fresh stuff-tastes so much better too! ESPECIALLY the tomatoes. I could eat 5 tomatoes a day and never tire of them...even canned tomatoes I tomatoes!
  • Trader Joe's is great. Hopefully one will open near you. Before we had our local ones, people used to travel an hour to buy their products. I shop about 90% between TJ's and costco. Love 'em both.

On being a vegan/vegetarian. Alas in my heart of hearts I am still a carnivor. If it were not for health concerns, I would not have changed my diet. In fact, that's one of the things I like about ETL - they allow about 10% animal products. That is probably advised for after reaching your goal, but I'm not sure. I do that now.

I hope it's ok to say this here, but I read that the 'Official' pay Fuhrman site is having some sort of promotion with a 6 week free access over the holidays. I might have to check that out.

Yes, I've gardened for a few years. My parents used to as well. I only grow what I really like, and what produces well here. Tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, peppers. Nothing too fancy, but it really saves on the grocery bill. And what you grow is soooo much better. And now that I'm eating so many more veggies, I'm thinking maybe I should grow more too.
  • Hi everyone,

I did a search online and I am so happy I found this group. I have been trying ETL off and on for about 3 weeks now and I just got the Eat for Health books and I am somewhere between Phase 2 and 3 I think. Still eating a little animal product and also still having more than 1 grain a day. I tried the 6 week challenge for about 1 week then had horrible pains in my side which my doc attributed to gallstones. So she advised that I add in a little more carbohydrates. So I have been doing that and it seems to work. On occassion I still have fish and maybe a little feta cheese. I will have some turkey tomorrow at my grandmothers. I no longer keep meat or dairy in my house so I mostly have these when dining out. So that is where I am at here in a nutshell.

I am not sure about this for every location, but Whole Foods Market actually roled out a program based on Eat for Health and there are signs on everything in the store near my house and also they have prepackaged salads, and meals based on the recipes in the books, so it's nice because if I have to run out and grab something I know I can go there to find something good to eat.

Now about me: I am currently 192 pounds looking to get to 128 hopefully by the end of April 2012 (I am in a wedding). I always knew I wanted to eat less animal products and hopefully go Vegan one day if possible but I have Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and everything I read online really pushes you to Atkins or some other high protein low carb diet plan. since I know that greens have a lot of protein I am really trying to get those in. This is the heaviest I have been in my life. For the one week i was on ETL 6 week plan I did lose 5 pounds (but then gained it back after illness) so I am starting again but remembering to keep in a few more carbs this time. I am pretty active despite being overweight. I do Bikram yoga, spin class, running, hiking, etc. So I know my problem is with what I am eating.

Thanks for setting up this thread

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
  • Welcome to the thread fee128.

Quote:
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    Thanks, and here's to everyone enjoying the day.
  • jansan Great news about the free access on Furhman's website! I'll have to check it out.

rdw1 I try to hit at least 60g a day. I really would LOVE to get more like 80g but it's virtually impossible without eating dairy and fish. I lift and am on low calories so my muscle is vulnerable. I have pretty decent muscle mass and don't want to lose it. Especially because right now I'm working more on body recomposition than weight loss really protecting and building those muscles is important to me.

That said, I have concerns about processed soy and proteins! Do you have resources you can share about their dangers/why I shouldn't take them. I'd be interested in educating myself more on it.

Suzanne I hope you are feeling better!

fee Welcome! We are so happy to have you here! It sounds like you have a lot of great things going on between your diet and exercise.

I did notice you are aiming to lose 70 lbs in 5 months. Have you talked with your doctor about that? Losing around 15 lbs a month is quite difficult without resorting to extreme measures. Perhaps you already have a great plan worked out with your doctor, so my apologies if I'm raising something you've already addressed . Anyway glad to have you aboard!
  • Hi everyone. I read most of ETL over the long weekend. The book makes a lot of sense to me. I'm planning on starting the eating plan next week. I have to get my grocery list together and really plan meals. I love eggs & cheese, not to mention caffeine so this may be tough. It doesn't help that I have to make about 10 batches of fudge for gifts (plus other goodies)!

Do you think it's easier to cut everything at once or just start out eating more veggies & fruit and limit the dairy & meat products?

I'd like to try doing the plan 100% until the Christmas break and then start back up in the new year, but I don't know if I'm setting myself up for "failure".

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
  • Hey jenjen! Welcome!

To be honest, I don't work well with "stick to the plan 100%." But that's just me! I did a few days of Furhman 100% and I didn't like it, so I adapted his philosophy and implemented it to fit me. I eat an all-plant lunch, snacks of fruit, nuts, and soymilk, and a protein-based dinner (tofu, beans, or even fish). Nothing processed except sometimes a protein source (1-2x a week). Those are my guiding principles. That said, I have coffee and an occasional egg, sweet, etc. If I go out to lunch with a friend and end up ordering a veggie burger or plate of fish, I adjust and rearrange.

I'm struggling right now with trying to find a balance between conscientious and obsessive, so I'm trying to work towards having flexible guidelines instead of rigid ones. But that's just where I am in my journey. Wish you the best!
  • I agree with Dr. McDougall- but I know that everyone is different... here is what he says regarding Protein- I have the book and that is what I went by to come to my conclusions as well as ETL, and the China study... It has been a while since I read them but I will try to research a bit more and come up with some articles for you... If you haven't read it I would STRONGLY encourage everyone to read the China Study!
    From Dr. M's site...
    "People worry more about protein in their diet than any other nutrient. The obvious truth is: there is enough protein in plants to grow an elephant, horse, or hippopotamus. Certainly there is enough protein to grow relatively small people. Furthermore, all plants contain all of the amino acids in proper balance for ideal human growth. In other words, it is impossible to make up a diet deficient in protein or individual amino acids from any unrefined starches (rice, potatoes) and vegetables. You must get over this common myth in order to comfortably follow a diet that is best for you and the family. The only real problems with protein come from eating too much."
  • rdw That is really interesting. And a pretty compelling case made by the comparison of large animals and humans! I need to read more on the China Study- I keep hearing about it and want to know more.

I think I will treat protein products (whey isolate powder, morningstar products) the way other plant-based folks treat meat: as an accessory and garnishment, not focus of a meal. They come in handy, when I am not hungry but need to eat, when I'm going to a cookout and need an alternative to hamburgers, etc.
  • Thanks for the input indiblue. I may try to do "hard core" for the weeks leading up to Christmas and then add in a little of the dairy & eggs. I can see it taking a lot of meal planning and just buying enough fresh produce will be somewhat challenging.

rdw, I was amazed to see the comparison of protein in 100 cals of beef vs. 100 cals of broccoli in ETL.

A plant based diet makes so much sense to me. It will just be implementing it initially that will be difficult for me.