General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:18 AM   #16  
Need to stay motivated!!

S/C/G: 202/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I also saw the documentary an have been wanting to start a 10 day fast. But I'm stuck as to how much produce to buy for a typical week? Wantmytummyback what's a typical week of produce for the juicing like?
NiteOwlMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:44 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 168/163/110

Height: 5'2"

I bought everything in bulk. Also I have a market nearby and I am a SAHM, so not too worried about the veggies. Also it was my first day. I think I'll be in a better position to make a weekly grocery list after finishing this week. Then I'll surely post it for you. I bought veggies in categories like leafy green like kale, swiss chard etc. then some neutral ones like lettuce, cabbage, opo etc. then some not so neutral tasting but still good like cucumber, celery etc. For fruits, we always have plenty of them around. Tomorrow I will go to farmers market and will get plenty of kale from there. It lasts a week in the fridge without any significant wilting. Good luck to you.
wantmytummyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #18  
I’m not fat….I’m fluffy

S/C/G: 288/274/188

Height: 5'8

If you have a Sunflower Market near you they have wonderful prices on fruits and veggies. Plus Wednesday is double sale day, you get the sales from last weeks ad and the next weeks ad. Its the one thing that makes it easier financially to be a healthy eater.
cuppycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #19  
Need to stay motivated!!

I live in a small town in the desert so the only markets available are Stater Bros. and Albertson's but I'll go shopping Monday night. Last week I ate only fruits and veggies and drank lots of water for 3 days and I felt great! The only reason i couldn't continue was because i ate almost all the produce and I was really low on funds so we had to eat what we had stored up in the freezers. So I'm looking forward to sticking to juicing thank you ladies!
Old 09-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #20  
yehaw!!

S/C/G: 220/166/150

Height: 5'3

if you are tight you can buy the wetter produce, things like cucmbers, watermelon apples etc are almost all juice so theres little waste and more juice for the dollar
i like to get my produce at cash and carry. a whole box of cucumbers for 12 buck it broke down to like 24cents each and 25 lbs carrots for 10$
cheapest place a found and better quality than say walmart or winco. i hate there produce and wont eat it.
i can drink with my husband and kids helping about a gallon every few days. one trick i do is to make a a bunck of juice and freeze it in icecube trays then dump in large freezer bags in the freezer. whenever i want juice i just put the icecubes in my glass and it is defrosted in a short time. this cuts down a ton of work cleaning the machine and helps prevent waste when buying bulk quantities of produce. some people say you may loose a little nutrient but ifigure theres plenty and i am more apt to stick to something if its easier!!
brillmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #21  

Location: Varies I travel a lot grew up on the reservation Currently in Oklahoma wife of a Military Officer so we go where the Airforce dictates

S/C/G: 218pounds/218pounds

Height: 5ft8

New to the Forum but I am SO curious now.. what exactly is the juice diet about? I am sorry but I am a bit intrigued I was reading through this and health benefits how you girls started feeling healthier ect.... think one of you could share a little information on someone wanting to open her eyes on healthier forms of eating??
Lakota Beauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmytummyback View Post
On the other hand, I am an Indian vegetarian, or you might say 'Grainatarian'. We have indian flatbread or rice with every meal. That's the way we ate all our life. We don't even eat eggs. My husband won't allow it. So, the diet is pretty much screwed up anyway.
I am the opposite of you- an American living in India ^_^. I agree- Indian diet is wholly carb-based, between chapatis, naan, biryani, rice, idly, dosa.

I totally get the cultural aspect of eating roti or rice with every meal. I have a REALLY hard time eating chole, palak paneer, etc without a really good starch. But it's not the best use of calories to spend half of them daily on carbs with little nutritional value. I try to limit myself to ONE atta chapati when I do eat them, or 2 idlies. Idilies are my favorite, but it's really important not to fill up on white rice. I instead focus on the sambar, which is high in nutrients and low in calories.

Indian food can be so healthy, with all the creative uses of vegetables and incredible array of spices. But the oil, ghee, and carbs have got to go.

It's hard to change eating habits based on how we grew up- I had to do the same thing, as I was raised in the South with all the glorious fried, fatty foods.

If your husband won't let you eat eggs (are you guys pure veg?) then at least eat dal, rajma, and chole. Beans are a great source of protein.

Sorry to go off topic, just wanted to empathize with some of the challenges Indian food presents! (It's so darn good though!)
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #23  
yehaw!!

lakota.. watch the documentary fat sick and nearly dead. then google juice fasting. there are a ton of opinions so do your reserch... i think its great if you cant tell!!! if theres anything you want to know that i havent written about above or more of an explanation let me know!!
Old 09-16-2011, 12:31 AM   #24  
Need to stay motivated!!

Brillmama2 thank you for those great ideas!
Old 09-16-2011, 01:25 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 166/149/121

Height: 5'6

i used the same diet once and lost weight very quickly. but i gained all of it back when i stopped the diet. i eat a lot when i am upset or stressed or because i was on diet till recently. but then i came across cognitive behavior therapy and gave it a try . i have a lot of trouble fighting craving. i eat too much or i do not eat at all. i am reading this book The Beck diet solution, it has been helping me fight bad eating habits. been using this since 10 days lost 7 pounds so far with not much exercise.
foreverfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #26  
yehaw!!

I dont like to think of this as a diet. more of a clensing or reboot to a healthy PERMENENT lifestyle change. ..
Old 09-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 178/175/125

Height: 5'3"

60 days of juice doesn't seem healthy. What made you decide on this approach?
Mouse46 is offline   Reply With Quote