General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #1  
Dana Rae

S/C/G: 189/189/135

Height: 5'4

Default Help me calculate Please!!!

Hello
I am trying to use the science of calculating my calories in vs. calories burned to work towards my weight loss goals....
So.....if I am eating 1200 calories a day
My BMR is 1567
I am burning 1000 with exercise
Does that equal out to 1200 - 2567 = 1367 defecit ?
So in the end does that mean that with a 9569 per week defecit (1367 x 7)
and since we need a 500 calorie per day x 7 days to lose 1 pound.....that I should be very close to 3 pounds per week at this rate????
Thank you....Hope I explained that right....
Dana
Losing50in11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

That high of a deficit might cause your body to hold onto the fat and lose nothing.

I'd either exercise less or eat more. I found anytime my deficit in calories went higher than 1000 I just stopped losing weight

Also there is no set amount or rate, some weeks you'll lose more than others, some weeks less. Specially as you get closer to goal you'll see that it's harder to lose those last few lbs.

If you are burning 1000 calories a day along with your BMR I'd suggest eating close to 1500-1800 calories a day, 1200 is too low then you are burning 1000 calories a day.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:44 AM   #3  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

When I first started to lose weight, I didn't actually look at any of the calculations very closely. I just knew that if I ate cleaner, and ate a lot less, and exercised most days that I would lose weight. Well guess what? It worked. Of course, I had a lot more to lose than you do. When I got down about 60-70 lbs., that's when the weight came off much slower and I started actually doing calculations and figuring out what numbers I needed regarding calories in vs. calories out to lose the rest of my weight.

I agree with beerab though. It's my opinion that if you are too strict with yourself and don't eat enough, that you MAY feel deprived and run off the rails long before you meet your goals. Your math is most likely correct, although it's difficult to take losing weight and apply mathematical equations to the process because your body will not lose weight by equations. These can be a guide, but also it can get discouraging if you have it all figured out and your weight just doesn't come off the way you expect.

People will probably tell you lots of different things, and you should take from them whatever you think will work best for you. BUT, in my opinion, I would start out with at least 1500-1600 calories and go from there.

Good luck!!
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I would really caution against assuming you are burning 1000 calories exercising. This is not to be mean or obnoxious, but to relay the very realistic possibility that you are overestimating your exercising (and therefore deficit and expectations about weightloss).

For most people, running for 30 minutes straight burns around 300 calories. Of course, individuals who are heavier may burn more. Strenuous aerobics classes may be around comparable. Ellipticals, exercise bikes, walking, yoga/pilates, etc generally all burn less.

By these very rough estimates, it takes around 1 1/2- 2 hours of intensive exercise to burn 1000 calories.

As a previous poster said, it's impossible to apply an equation to weight loss- each body is different and burns at different rates. Even heart rate monitors and body buggs are notoriously inaccurate.

That's why weight loss is a lot of trial and error. Play around with 1300 a day- if you feel good, are losing weight, and getting in ALL your nutrients, go with it. If you feel weak, lethargic, or too "deprived" (and then make bad eating choices) up them a bit.

good luck!!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #5  
Dana Rae

S/C/G: 189/189/135

Height: 5'4

Thank you for your replies.....I run 2 and 1/2 hours a day and do 10 miles of vigorous biking....that definitely = my 1000 calories ....Thanks for your help
Shoot for the moon and land in the stars...
Dana
Losing50in11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Good grief, if that is your exercise you absolutely need to be eating more. It sounds like you are burning way more than 1000 calories. I would absolutely add at the minimum 800 calories to my diet to support that level of activity. You don't want to catabolize lean tissue.

Be careful about working out so much- I guess about 3 hours a day right? Is there a reason you feel the need to do that much exercise? Please make sure you don't burn yourself out or injure yourself.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:53 AM   #7  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Heck Dana...if you are doing that amount of exercise, you DEFINITELY need to add more calories to your diet.

2.5 hours of running every day is like running a half marathon every single day, or more. I also am concerned that this level of exercise might not be sustainable in the long run.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #8  

Are you training for the Olympics or overestimating the calories burned by exercise? If you don't eat the right foods, it also will cause you to retain weight so you can't get true results as you are trying to do.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote