General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #16  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
You're not the only one who's ever made such comments, believe me! But do know that "morbid obesity" (defined in the US as a BMI of 40 or greater) IS a "medical reason." Even if you're otherwise healthy, WLS is still an option, and, for some folks, it's the right choice.

It makes sense that the thread wasn't started in the WLS section - that would be why I didn't recognize any of the initial respondents as "regulars" 'round those parts (and I see it got moved again)
Huh, I guess this was directed at me too. All I said in my original post was that it was a serious surgery and shouldn't be taken lightly (and that others, like myself, have been successful with diet and exercise). I've had abdominal surgery so I was trying to share my experience there. I'm not discounting that WLS has helped MANY people (like I said, I know someone who has gone through with it and has been very successful) but I also was concerned that the OP could be jumping into it too quickly, instead of trying other options first. I was definitely NOT saying just diet and exercise as if it was so easy and anybody could do it. But the OP really didn't provide much info in that regards so I was just pointing out that I've done it without surgery as have others and it might be something that she can do too.

If the poster would've have written something like I'm going through with WLS, can I have some support I would never jump in and criticize. I would assume that is between the OP and their doctor. However, the OP was debating what is best for her and so in that case it IS valid to say that others have done it without WLS. Now the OP might decide to eventually do surgery, I don't know what she'll decide, but I would hope that she would consider all her options first (as I would hope anyone would do before any major surgery, assuming they were capable of doing so).
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #17  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletSwerve View Post
Great response as always, Jilly. I concur with each statement, and you make them a lot more tactfully than I am sometimes able to, especially that last bit.

If you havent had surgery, I applaud you on how educated you are on the subject. Your sensitivity is also something not typically seen.

I really have nothing to add, other than I wanted to say I completely agree that niether one of these is to be used to "jump start" weight loss. If you really are having a hard time losing and want to consider lap band, I would recommend doing a lot more research to determine if it is right for you.

Thank you!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #18  

Sure you can. When talking about liposuction, it doesn't mean that you don't need to exercise. It's just a beginning of your transformation.
clivehamilton7 is offline   Reply With Quote