General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220.2/211.4/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Can you prevent excess belly skin with creams?

I'm at the strart of my weigh loss journey, and feeling optomistic. However, I have read several posts from those who have reached their goal and are considering a tummy tuck to deal with the excess skin. At my age (46) and after 2 babies, I suspect my skin will not get absorbed as easily as it used to, and fear I may have a bit of excess to deal with when I reach my goal.

My question: should I begin to apply creams to the skin (the expensive stretch mark cream, for instance) as I lose to help my skin adjust to my new body as it emerges?

Thanks for any thoughts
haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 207/175.5/135

Height: 5'2

I personally have no experience with using specialty creams, but I've heard time and time again that they don't work. That being said, hydration is incredibly important for skin health so make sure you are keeping yourself hydrated with water and nourishing your skin as needed. Don't let the possibility of excess skin deter you from reaching your goals. There's no way to fully predict what you will look like and how you will feel about yourself. Best of luck on your journey.
patootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well your skin has stretched out somewhat and when you lose weight, with it having nothing to fill it, it can sag. It depends on a lot of things like your highest weight, your age, your genetics, etc. Also time can help it as your skin can firm up somewhat over time and will be more noticeable with a drastic weight loss, at least at first. There is nothing you can put on to prevent it though.

This link may be helpful.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body...skin-faqs.html
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 306.6/292.4/150

Height: 5' 9"

It won't hurt to hydrate your skin from the outside, as long (as patootie said) that you hydrate from your inside first. I also think that something less pricey than a "specialty cream" would work just as well -- vitamin E or shea butter lotion would probably be fine and won't cost a bomb either. I'm doing that myself; I've got a lot to lose and at 50, I need all the help I can get
tec4cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote