General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

Default Donating blood - how to recover?

I'm donating blood today for the first time since I started this weight loss kick. I normally don't have any difficulties with dizziness or anything. Is there a best way to recover though, and is is compatible with my current eating plan?

Usually at the recovery table they have sugary things to eat and drink, but I'm on a low-sugar plan. Is there a reason why I need sugar or carbs immediately after donating? I was thinking I'll bring some blueberries with me to eat at the recovery table if so. My net carbs are around 40 grams/day currently. I was considering eating a few hundred extra calories for the next few days, but should I have more carbs as well?? Finally, every day I drink 108 oz of water. Should I drink more water today to go above what my body is accustomed to or is 108 oz enough for my body to start replacing the blood?

Also, I'm sad to skip my workout this afternoon but I know that's recommended.

Thank you if you can help at all!
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #2  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

At blood drives in Japan they give out green tea and wild boar meat soup, not the usual cookies and juice boxes found at U.S. ones. You don't necessarily have to load up on sugar or carbs but it is advisable to drink a little extra fluid and eat something. See how you feel afterward.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Take the cookie this will raise your blood sugar levels.So you don't faint.The cookies are not there to be sociable. One cookie will not hurt your low sugar diet plan.
Congratulations on donating.

Last edited by bargoo; 06-14-2011 at 09:00 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #4  

Default Donating blood

I'm a regular plasma donor. I work out in the morning, donate in the afternoon. I try to drink extra water when I donate, but since I normally drink a lot of water increasing my water consumption is difficult. The facility where I donate offers small cans of V-8 juice, that seems to work on any plan. When I'm not in the mood for V-8 I bring a piece of fruit with me. Hope this helps.
Mame is offline   Reply With Quote