General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

Default Appetite Suppressants

First of all, I apologize if this question is in the wrong forum, but I wasn't sure where else it should go.

My doctor prescribed me an appetite suppressant. It's a 3-4 hour one, meant to be taken when I know I'm going out to eat or for those times of day I know I get wickedly hungry. I've found that I'm still hungry after taking the suppressant, even factoring in time for it to kick in. On the other hand, I am not tempted to go off-plan and have stuck to my mini-meals and regulated eating schedule. But then, that may just be a placebo effect and not in fact due to whatever the pill is doing to my body.

Has anyone else had this experience with appetite suppressants? I admit, I imagined them to be more along the lines of a pain-killer--something that would temporarily eliminate the symptoms. I'm not exactly complaining, but am curious whether other people have found this to be normal or not.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I have never taken an appetite suppressant, but have found great success with using natural foods to suppress appetites. I have moved away from mini-meals and towards larger, wholesome meals with tons of fiber, protein, and/or a bit of fat (avocado, cheese, apple with a bit of peanut butter, beans are a few go-to's) in the right proportions tend to fill me up at mealtime and not leave me starving until the next one. Mini-meals and too many carbs kept me grazing and thinking about food all day long.

I am not saying you should not take the appetite suppressant, just wanted to share what's worked in terms of naturally quelling hunger in case in the pills don't work out and you want to try something else
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #3  
Grace

S/C/G: 188/Ticker/154

Height: 5'9

I agree indiblue, smaller frequent meals really dont work for me either, I like to be full up on one larger meal then thinking about food 24/7!
Blondie160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #4  

There is a book called Mastering Leptin that also is not in favor of the mini meals. He says three sensible meals a day gives the liver and digestive system time to do its job and reset without causing hormone imbalances. Interesting read.....

On appetite suppressants- I took one for a while a few years back that my doctor prescribed. Initially, I lost weight but I gained it all back as soon as I went off the med. I know the idea of a pill to help is tempting, but honestly, I think its better not to rely on pills, but learn to do it on your own.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #5  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Yes, I've tried them all (or just about!) They work...sure. But the side effects are less than desirable and for some can be outright dangerous! Made my heart race like I had just ran a marathon. Didn't like the "cracked out" feeling to be honest...and didn't lose any more weight than I would have with just straight calorie counting and moderate exercise.

That said, I have recently discovered the benefits of CINNAMON as a natural appetite suppressant. I came to know about it from my 76 yr old mother who is diabetic. Her doctor recommended it as it helps to stabilize sugar in the blood. After further research, I learned that with sugar stabilization, you no longer crave the starchy sugary laidened foods and are satisfied much longer without crashes.

Well...I started taking it a week ago and can attest....it REALLY WORKS! I also get an added benefit of increased ENERGY! I bought mine from Walmart and it also contains Chromium....but it's cheap $6/bottle.

Lastly..I'm on the side of the MINI-MEALS! I would actually DIE if I had to only eat 3 meals a day. That would make me think about food way more than just eating every couple of hours. Cuz with my belly rumbling all day, my mind would obsess on the next meal! Oh and I've lost 57 lbs in 8 months eating at least 9 times/day.

Anyhoot...as far as that goes...it's a "your mileage may vary" issue. There's no "magic bullet"...it still will come down to calories in vs. calories out. Vigorous exercise for at least 30 mins 3-4 times/week also help some to curb their appetite (not sure if it's just the mental thought of undoing all that hard work..lol).

Bottom line...test and see what works for you. All the best!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

This suppressant isn't something you get on Amazon, so no speed-like effects.

I opted for the prescription suppressant for those times I can't exercise or whatnot to control hunger, not as a daily crutch.

I've done the 3 meals thing (and was and still am low carb/high protein) and while it did work, I ended up binging anyway, even after a full 2 week detox. So I'm working with a physician and rather like the mini-meal strategy. Different strokes for different folks.

Thank you all for your advice and input!!
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

My doctor also prescribed an appetite suppressant, and I took it, It was taken off the market as it was found to have dangerous side effects. I find it safer and more reliable to count calories and I do eat 6 times a day. 3 meals and 3 snacks. (NOT 6 meals , 6 times). My snacks are usually 100 calories or less and this keeps my from wanting to eat anything that isn't nailed down.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

I take adderall for my ADD, but it's a natural appetite suppressant so I'm killing 2 birds with 1 stone. I find that if I take it early on, like 9am, I'm usually very snacky around 8-9PM, unless I'm busy and not sitting around. So I get up, eat, then take my pill around 11-12, and that usually holds me over until 8ish. I still eat breakfast lunch and dinner, and have a snack or two. I'm not hungry of course until the pill wears off, so I try to have some popcorn in the evening and a big glass of water. Works mos times.

If its not working like you thought, could you ask your doctor about trying a different kind maybe? I don't know anything about appetite suppressants, but is there any type of food you really shouldn't eat with it, that can minimize the effectiveness? For example a lot of people say if they eat a lot of vitamin C while on adderall the pill loses it's effectiveness a lot quicker.

Last edited by yhahmd; 05-16-2011 at 11:24 AM.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote