what americans really eat

• Hi all

Not sure if this is the correct place to discuss this , so correct me if I am wrong. I found a discussion of the USDA 2010 dietary guidelines here

wholehealthsource at blogspot.com in the february 2011 issue (called assorted-thoughts-about-2010-dietary) <I'm not yet allowed to post links>

The interesting part I found was "... The number one source of calories in all age groups is "grain-based desserts". The next five in adults are yeast breads, chicken dishes, soda/sports drinks, alcohol and pizza. ."

Again, five of the top six sources of calories are: desserts, breads, soda alcohol and pizza. The fifth is chicken which <ahem> I have no beef with.

I'm interested in this for two reasons... it shows what we really eat, and shows how we can affect our caloric consumption. Myself, I was never much of a (sugar) soda or alcohol drinker, but I've had my share of desserts, breads, and pizza in my time. A simple rule to eat better,and possibly lower in calories, would be to cut out some of the stuff in the list of top calorie inputs

Hey .. it might work. At very least, it fits into my avoid all pure starches rule.

--g
  • And with that post, I'm finally allowed to post links..

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...0-dietary.html
  • It is pretty eye-opening, isn't it? I used to think I ate unhealthily until I really took a look at what my friends & coworkers eat. I think it has probably been a year since some of them have eaten a fresh vegetable.