3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General Diet Plans and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions-10/)
-   -   Cheat Day/Meal? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/226687-cheat-day-meal.html)

kooo 02-26-2011 08:14 PM

Cheat Day/Meal?

Is "cheating" once in a while a good idea? or is that another myth? by cheating, i don't mean i'm going to hit up mcdonalds for the whole day, but i'm going to a friends house and there's probably going to be some cookies and brownies and all that...should i hold out or give in? and if cheating is ok after all, is there a "proper" way to cheat?

ShesLosingIt 02-26-2011 08:38 PM

I don't look at it as cheating but I do think it's healthy, to an extent. I don't know if it's the "proper" way but if you think or know you're going to indulge later in the day, it's probably best to keep it light during your other meals for the day. I'd also make sure you increase your water intake and/or up the exercise.

FWIW I follow a predominately low-carb way of eating but I've splurged (which is how I prefer to look at it - it's a special treat vs a cheat) 6-7 times in the past 7 months - Costco vanilla/cheesecake mousse cake @ a baby shower, Chicago style pizza, Chicago style hot dogs (damn this city & their tasty food!!), my mom's infamous oatmeal-walnut Christmas cookies, etc... etc... I wouldn't say they've all been worth it (TMI but let me tell you, eating 3 slices of pizza after 4 months of 25g of carbs per day or less will really do a number on your digestive system) but I don't regret them - I'm faithful to the plan 99% of the time and if I decide to enjoy for that 1% of the time, I do it and get back on track at the next meal.

JessLess 02-26-2011 09:03 PM

I don't cheat at all. It's just better for me that way. I used to binge and some triggering foods like nuts and cookies are off my list. I would imagine different things work for different people.

WeightForMe 02-26-2011 09:38 PM

Personally, I like a cheat MEAL. I mean like a whole, out to dinner meal. One meal, once a month or so, no doggy bag. I do this so i can feel really satisfied. Then the next day get back on track as usual. I think if i had cheat "snacks" like a couple cookies or brownies that a couple days later when i want something else i'll have the mind set of "oh it was only a couple cookies" where as now i tell myself "I just had that whole dinner" But thats just me and everyones different.

katy trail 02-26-2011 10:34 PM

the whole idea is a slippery slope for me. i have a really had time getting back 'on track'. i'm most successful when whatever i'm having is away from home, i eat EVERYTHING at home. so i have to be out somewhere or at christmas dinner or something, anyway, away from home and not bring any home. or if we bring any home, it's already portioned out and everything for my DH to bring to work for lunch. i won't eat his food.

that doesn't happen often for me. if i'm tempted it's because it's in my house and i made it. much harder to eat a small amount and leave it alone then.

i think you just need to decide if it's worth it to you. if it is, then go ahead.

however, i really hate the term 'cheat day' and 'plan'. on plan, off plan. i really hate making such black and white generalizations. pizza doesn't have to be a cheat day. a small piece can be worked into our diet, if we don't get cravings afterwards. or make a healthier version yourself, and be able to eat a big plate of it.

you could even make healthy brownies with prunes or black beans or something- not as a prank, it makes them healthier and they still taste great. then, you don't feel guilty about eating 1. just try to work it into your calorie budget for the day.

summerlove 02-26-2011 10:39 PM

Yeah, you just need to make sure you don't beat yourself up about it or else it'll just turn into a vicious cycle.

I'm young, and none of my friends, family, or my boyfriend needs to lose weight. So it'd be really really hard for me if I couldn't eat what they eat...

You just need to make sure you're prepared to go back on track immediately after. If you're the type of person who will struggle & resent eating healthy after a cheat meal, it's best not to go down that road.

kooo 02-27-2011 09:28 AM

ok, thanks for the responses!! maybe i can stop staring at pictures of brownies now and actually have one xD

Elenaaria 02-27-2011 10:12 AM

I have one cheat MEAL or ITEM once a week but I call it an exception and not a cheat. I have 1200cals-1300 cals every day so I do this so my metabolism isnt lowered and I do it because I have binge eating disorder and its easier for me if I let myself have 1 item normally off limits once a week before I want it way too bad and binge on it anyways. My exception item is normally something like 2 slices of pizza, 1-2 small brownies, 1-2 small things of candy at the movies,going out for a small icecream, going to a restaunt and ordering off the kids menu (restraunt meals are ginormous) but I barely ever go out to eat so its ok,a pint of icecream (typically not the most highcalorie one out there either) like a pint of cookies and cream is 600cals and I like to use this as my exception of the week cuz I work reallyyy hard during the week so its nice to relax with some icecream and watch some tv on a friday night. I like to workout 5x a week but workout 6x a week. My workout is one of those turbojam punchkick and jams (my sixth workout of the weel) which burns about 600cals so it burns my exception off. I work really hard during the week and think its good cuz it helps me to not binge and to not plateu and not get crazy about food. Everyones different though. If you cant do it without bingeing then I wouldnt do it. You should make it an item or a meal and not give yourself a whole day of cheating cuz that can be self destructive and diet sabotage.

amandie 02-27-2011 12:03 PM

Kooo- Enjoy the brownie! No sense in depriving yourself. Do treat yourself once in a while! :)

kooo 02-28-2011 07:00 PM

thanks everyone! i was wondering--next month i'm going to a sleepover and that entails a nice dinner and sweets into the night..:/ i'm currently going on 1100-1400 cals a day w/ 300-650ish cals burned off w/ exercise (7 days a week) and i frankly i think i'll be eating to my heart's content that day!

so i was thinking of not eating a single thing (with the exception of a medium sized sweet potato w/ milk for breakfast) that day. of course this is a one-day exception and i won't make a habit of this kind of eating, but does that sound...well..acceptable?