General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #16  
WW Moderator

Love the experiment, Tattoodles! That was really interesting, thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Jennifer 3FC; 02-14-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #17  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

That was a great experment! Although if I had done it I most likely would be freaking out with the gains during the day then the uncertainty that the scale would be better in the am.

I tend to weigh myself mid week and on weigh in day first thing in the morning before I dress. sometimes mid week will show a loss only to show no loss on actual weigh in day which makes me crazy. Not sure how to slove that mystery
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Hey tattoodles thanks for sharing!

I'm really interested in the fact that your weight fluctuated 3.5 lbs overnight. I imagine this represents a typical day for you? I weigh myself in the AM and PM too, without clothes, etc, and my difference is never more than 1.5 lbs. Our height and weight are not that different, so I'm curious if anyone has a hypothesis for this!

Just goes to show how every body is different
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 186/ticker/127

Height: 5'0"

This is GREAT to show newbies and even veterans how the silly numbers on the scale rule us, and for what reason? :P We must be sadists. Every time I weigh myself after I've consumed something my boyfriend asks, "Why are you doing that AGAIN?" And I tell him because I like to see how the numbers will change. To which he replies, "No you don't, you HATE when the numbers change because they're normally going up!"

It is curious to see how they jump all around, I can't help it!
tabitl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 203.9/196.9/150

Height: 5'5"

I agree with you kaploids! I have battled this my entire life. All of the women in my family have had gastric bypass or the lapband. Morbid obesity is prevalent, and several family members have died from complications related to obesity. I have found what you are saying to be true. I used to obcess about the scale. It doesn't give the true picture of what is happening always. I weigh daily, as an accountability to myself (I love to pretend I haven't eaten things!). However, the only number that I record in my journal is the weekly number. Daily weights are very misleading. Thanks for sharing, and reminding me about the importance of remembering to apply what I know about my body after years of this battle. Take good care, and keep on losing!
dbertram1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:15 AM   #21  

Good experiment. I am curious to know what the affects of working out have on weighing in. Whenever I have weighed after working out, I was always heavier. Could it possibly be due to all the water I ingested while working out?
goalgetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #22  
WW Moderator

Yes
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:50 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 298/260/180

Height: 5'10"

Great experiment! Thanks for posting this. I am relieved to know that I'm not the only one who can gain 3 lbs in a day and have it go back down the next morning! I have a tendency to become obsessed with the scale and be too hard on myself.

I also am heavier after a workout, so another concern of mine was answered here as well, thank goodness for this thread.
notwithstupidanymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:09 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 148/143/120

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola Celeste View Post
Thanks for sharing the results of your experiment! It helps to see just how much weight we "gain" and "lose" during the course of the day. I should try that too.

I wish my body woke up a little earlier than my brain instead of vice-versa. Every morning I weigh myself after peeing, but before drinking any water. I look at the scale, mutter something rude under my breath or say "yay!" accordingly, and shuffle off to fix and eat my breakfast. Only then does my body decide it has...shall we say, unfinished business to attend to in the bathroom.

Hel-LO, body, couldn't you have decided to do that twenty minutes before breakfast so I got a nice low number on the scale? Grr!

(And I apologize about that TMI, but really...every freakin' morning this happens!)

The reason for your little problem each morning is the gastrocolic reflex. After eating, stomach distension stimulates colon contractions which makes you want to use the bathroom.
kellyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:52 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Nola I am the same way!!! I can never get an "accurate" (er... LOWEST NUMBER POSSIBLE) weigh-in because of this. Kellyg thanks for the explanation, I've always been curious!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 148/143/120

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiblue View Post
Nola I am the same way!!! I can never get an "accurate" (er... LOWEST NUMBER POSSIBLE) weigh-in because of this. Kellyg thanks for the explanation, I've always been curious!
No problem...I found it interesting when I learned about it. There's also a second reflex where moving in position from supine (laying down in bed) to standing up stimulates colon contractions...which is why most people are morning pooers (forgive me if this is tmi). But sitting down straightens the rectum and releases the muscle contractions of the anal sphincter so it's harder to use the restroom while standing, if anyone was ever planning on trying that.
kellyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 298/260/180

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyg View Post

The reason for your little problem each morning is the gastrocolic reflex. After eating, stomach distension stimulates colon contractions which makes you want to use the bathroom.
Ah, this is good to know, thanks for the info!
notwithstupidanymore is offline   Reply With Quote