General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 08:35 PM   #61  

Hi everyone! Ihope you all had a good weekend. Lots of rest around here and it sure felt good! I'm really looking forward to having the extra days off next week!
We are going to the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade on Thursday and are so excited! DH and I have been threatening to go for years, and now that DD is almost 10, this is the perfect time! It's the first time in 13 years I am not hosting T-day and that in itself is WONDERFUL! Notice I did NOT say that we were frantically cleaning the house and shopping all weekend!!! I am going to cook a small turkey on Wed and make just a few sides when we get home from the parade. We live in CT, so we should be home by 2 or so.
Aphil--you asked how it feels to be 103 pounds lighter than almost two years ago--it feels WONDERFUL! I am the fittest I have ever been in my (almost) 40 years and, in a word, I feel STRONG. Not only muscular strong, but when food was ruling my every activity, I felt so weak--in mind, body and spirit. It really has been a wonderful journey these last two years, and I am awfully grateful that I have shared part of it with all of you. Yes, I am at the end of the weightloss part, but the journey will always continue and it is so comforting that their are people along the way with whom you can shares the highs and the lows.
There are also the obvious benefits--went into Old Navy today and the 'mediums' are a little loose!
Well, I hope I didn't get too philosophical tonight. I hope you all have a great Monday morning and hopefully will read you all soon!
Old 11-24-2002, 09:58 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hello again!
Here is Nancy's crustless pumpkin pie recipe again:
1 15 oz. can of pumpkin
3 egg whites
1 12 oz. can of fat free or skim evaporated milk
1/2t. salt
3 T. pumpkin pie spice
1t. vanilla
2/3c. Splenda brand sweetener or sugar
Mix all ingredients, and pour into a 9" Pam sprayed pie pan. Bake at 400* for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325* and bake another 45 minutes.
You can figure out calories per serving easily by adding up the calories in all of the ingredients and dividing it by how many slices you cut it into. FYI-egg whites are 15 calories each, if you do not have that info available. This recipe is to use Splenda or sugar only-the calorie count will obviously be much less with Splenda. Do not use Sweet N Low or any other brand of sweetener-only Splenda, because it measures the same as sugar, and some sweeteners do not do well in cooked recipes-they break down in extreme heat.
I also wanted to add another wonderful dessert recipe that would be perfect for any holiday gathering:
LEMONADE MOUSSE
1c. graham cracker crumbs
1T. sugar
1T. light margerine, melted
1 14oz. can fat free sweetened condensed milk
3/4c. frozen lemonade concentrate
2c. Cool Whip
combine crumbs, margerine, and sugar with a fork. Press down 3/4 of the mixture into a 9x13 rectangle pan. Mix milk and lemonade in a bowl, then fold in Cool Whip. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Refrigerate at least 4 hours.
cut into 12 servings.
per serving:185 calories, 4 grams fat, .5 grams fiber
I hope you all use these and enjoy them.
Thanks for the magazine name DNW-there is also a great magazine called Mode that is for women size 12 and up-with lots of fashion tips and beautiful plus sized models in it as well. It is nice to see women in it wearing a size 12 or 16 or even 20 and looking gorgeous.
While I am looking forward to being thin and healthier-it is still nice to know that women my size can look just as attractive as thin women!
Aphil
Old 11-25-2002, 12:17 AM   #63  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Thanks Aphil that was a very inspiring message. You are so right. I saw a reflection of me in those words of course this is the me that was 225 lbs. I wish somebody had screamed those words into my ear. But you know what i have learned to love myself at any size and I think I am beautiful inside and truly that is the most important. Because take away my clothes, take away my make-up, and take away my facial beauty...it leaves nothing more than who I am. If people cannot love me for that alone then they do not truly know what it is to love.

Well again thank you. i am going to stop here we had a busy weekend. Visiting with nieces and nephews. How I love them so much and don't get to see them as often since they are out of town. Exhausted beyond words I wanted to just pop in and see how everyone was doing. Talk to you all tomorrow.

Many hugs to you all.
Kina
Old 11-25-2002, 10:16 AM   #64  
DNW

Default Lost another 1/2 pound and happy that I did...

Hi Everyone:

Well this old girl is down another 1/2 pound and I'll take it...little halfers turn in to big losses...slow and steady wins the race.

Saw this special on Discovery channel last night, "Obesity in America". A real eye opener to say the least, if it reruns you all should catch it. Very though provoking, but there were women on the show that were saying you don't necessarily have health problems at 400-500 lbs. Sorry guys I just can't buy that one. Also I don't know about you, but the human heart can only take so much stress.

I am 258 and dieting and exercising everyday and I still have health issues...oh well that's my bit for this morning. For me the weight loss is about extending my life and also enhancing the quality of my life, I want to look better, but I really need to feel better.

Take care all!
Old 11-25-2002, 10:45 AM   #65  

DNW-you are so right. I do not believe in discrimination for heavy people, and in that right I am glad that there are advocates for people of size-but they cannot honestly tell me that their back never aches or they never get winded...I get that way at 198!!!So-it is always better NOT to be that heavy-it is not a question of attractiveness. I wish I would have seen it.
Today could have started off better...my husband and I are at odds a bit. He is a great man, but all men are little boys in a certain sense...and I needed to make it clear to him that even though he is the one that works outside of the home right now, that when that 8 hours is over-he is done! He doesn't think about it when he leaves there. (We were fighting because he said I was grouchy, and really I am just stressed out)
Women are so much the stronger sex...I am the one who stayed in the hospital when my son was in intensive care last year for a week-I NEVER left him...when Jason gets sick he can go home and lay in bed-a mother on the other hand...I asked my husband if he knew what it was like to change a poopy diaper while you had the stomach flu...I am the one who srites out the budget, all the bills, figures out what we can get at the grocery store this week depending on what bills are due, I have to remember all the birthday cards and do all the Christmas shopping, make the doctor appointments, take care of the kids when they are sick, organize all the family gathering so we can be at 7 gatherings in a 2 day period without overlap, and so on and so forth...
I feel like a walking Palm Pilot.
Since I do hair, everyone within a 2 hour radius feels like they can just call or stop by for a haircut whenever it pleases them...while I cannot get out to get my own done near often enough...I am about to start chargin them a fee of an hour babysitting so I can go get MY hair cut!!!! Then-we get an invitation a month ago for a formal Christmas party, and I ask him if we are going...he says he doesn't know. He springs it on me yesterday that he wants to...so now I have 2 weeks to come up with formal attire and the money to pay for it, outside of what we still need to put aside for other Christmas gifts, AND find a sitter.
What was the last straw is I am up this morning making bacon and fried potatoes and stuff for a breakfast I AM NOT EVEN GOING TO BE EATING-doing it for HIM, and when we sit down to eat, he is sitting there picking at my daughter and she is screaming at the table. They will not stop bickering and carrying on...and I just lost it. I tossed my oatmeal in the sink and popped in the shower, and I am getting ready to go for a drive.
I just need a stress break. BAD.
Sorry I am venting to all of you...but I had to get this out.
Aphil

Last edited by aphil; 11-25-2002 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:58 PM   #66  
DNW

Aphil: Sounds like you and I do the same juggling act but I have no children...of course, except o-oops, my husband the five year old with a full beard and mustache.

....yes men have that thing that their jobs are just the most important thing in the world and they are out to save and conquer each and every day. Our jobs are well, just jobs, of no consequence. My husband works in an office environment and so do I, but he is just so-o-o much more exhausted than I could ever be at the end of the day. If I need something done well he does get to it before the end of the night, but just before the end of the night, God forbid I get it done when I want it done....

We love each other madly...but just for once I want to be the one who forgets until the last minute, ruins yet another sweater with cigarette holes, assumes that can work miracles in 5 minutes....

good luck and somehow I feel your husband and mine are realted...
Old 11-25-2002, 05:14 PM   #67  

laughing at DNW's post...that made me feel a ton better....what also made me feel a lot better today-wel, it is sort of childish-well, it is very childish...he was in my daughter's room wrestling around with the kids, and I just came up behind him and ga ve him the biggest wedgie in the world...I ripped his undies. I feel much better now.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:40 PM   #68  
DNW

Talking You go girl!!

A wedgie..how come I don't think of those things....h-m-m-m have to remember that..

BTW 1/2 pound down from the start date of 11/20.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:24 PM   #69  

Things are looking up a bit...I found a velvety type dress for $20 that is dressy enough to wear to the Christmas party next weekend.(the 6th) It is black and has a deep red floral print on it...it has sort of a slinky cut with a deep v-neck, and the sleeves are kindof fitted all the way down, but then flare out a bit at the wrist...kindof reminds me of an Elvira type style of dress...it IS pretty sexy.
Well-it looks like the maintainers are doing well, and I am down a pound for the Christmas challenge, and DNW is down half a pound...have we any more losses for the challenge to report? I am trying to keep track to see who the big winner (loser) will be...
Everyone is just doing wonderful!!!!
My calorie count was 1270 today...I usually average around 1400-1500, but I was pretty busy at home-but, as long as I am not going under 1200 I am fine.
Have a good night everyone,
Aphil
Old 11-26-2002, 01:51 AM   #70  

Way to go Amy and DNW,, you are off to a good start for the Christmas Challenge. !!!!!!

Amy~~ your dress sounds awesome and I bet you will look wonderful in it also. I had to laugh about the wedgie that you pulled on your hubby,, sometimes they just deserve things like that.

I am going to be busy for the next few days. Bruce is leaving for Calgary on Wednesday. I sure hope this house will sell fast and we wont be apart too long. I worry about him making the 1000 mile drive as this time of year the weather is unpredictable for sure.

I cant believe that this will be my second Thanksgiving away from home, it sure sets me off into a blue mood thinking about it.
Ill be working on Thursday, so it will be just another day for me.

I have no holiday spirit at all

I have WW on Wednesday and am hoping to at least maintain, as was hit full force with the dreaded TOM today!! UGH

I'll be sure to post what ever the loss, gain or maintain!!!

Well gotta run, only a few days left to snuggle with my hubby,, so Ill check back again soon.

Remember the challenge!!

Hello to the rest of the gang also..

Nancy
198.8/185.2/150ish
Old 11-26-2002, 08:31 AM   #71  

Good morning everyone,
Nancy-you make sure to get all your snuggles in with your husband-I am sure you will not be apart very long. I was watching a realtor type show the other day, and they were talking about little things you can do to make your house look nicer so it will sell quicker-stuff like turning the mulch if you have it in your landscaping to make the color fresher-like it was just laid, making sure all the weeds and everything are trimmed, using the powerwasher to spray off the siding to make the house look newer, and stuff like that.
Today is my cardio day-Jason is home on vacation-so I will have to hope he will not laugh at me too much-I usually only do aerobics when he is at work.
Well, everyone focus on the Christmas challenge...the heat is on ladies!!!!! We can do it!!!!
Aphil
Old 11-26-2002, 08:39 AM   #72  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Hello Aphil read your earlier post...DH. Sorry to hear about the situation but you know I can totally relate but on another end. My DH thinks all his purpose is to work and pay the bills not in the same sense of me actually going to pay them he just supplies the money. But he can't understand why I am so tired all the time. He says I do NOTHING. Aaaaargh! MEN! I will never understand them.

But good for you on the wedgie that is great!

I am off to school this morning. Talk to you all later.
Kina
Old 11-26-2002, 09:29 AM   #73  

Hi everyone!
I just had a great idea for personal rewards! Since I moderate on 3FC, I check out all the diet plans out there, and while I think Nutrisystem is way overpriced for what you get, they had something on their site I thought was cool. They send you a beanie bear for every 10 pounds you lose, each one has a 10, 20, 30, etc. number on it to show your loss-and you get a goal bear when you reach your goal weight.
I think this would be a great idea for us to do-maybe we could bet a charm bracelet that has number charms available, or buy something from one of those personalized engraving shops, and have our losses engraved on it in 5 or 10 pound increments for every 5 or 10 pounds we lose...etc. or buy a sweatshirt and paint our little victories on it in fabric paint...whatever you want to do-but to have a tangible item to show our weight loss successes. Something to keep and be proud of.
Aphil
Old 11-27-2002, 05:56 AM   #74  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default Wacky Wednesday!

I got out of bed this morning thinking it was going to be a bad day... and it was a very good one instead!

My Wednesday morning circuit class was the best yet. Tuesday and Wednesday are taught by the same guy and yesterday he was encouraging me to use heavier weights so today I tried it... and yep... I survived! I am not as sore as I was when I started these classes.... so I am getting stronger and alot fitter too! yay!

As you guys know, we are flying home for Christmas this year... 4 weeks - a few days now and are meeting up with good friends of ours (aussies) who will be in Fernie skiing for 2 weeks and are spending Christmas with my family .... well... I am a die hard ice hockey fan... Edmonton Oilers to be exact and have been trying to get tickets for a sold out game on Boxing Day. I got an email from my aunt telling me that not only does she have 4 tickets.... in the gold rated seats all together...... but her company has given the tickets to her!! they were the company season tickets that nobody had asked for yet!!! Crikey ... we just saved $400 in hockey tickets!!

There is one excited canadian aussie over here!!! She is going to send me the email address of the guy who gave them to her so that I can send him a personal thank you. When he heard that it was for her niece and hubby and friends from Australia... he was so happy to give them to her!

On the diet front... everything seems to be falling into place and the exercise is going well too. I am finding that even though the weight is not coming off very fast... I am averaging about a pound a week.... I have dropped 2 clothing sizes and my size 10 jeans are getting loose! Wow eh? I am starting to notice less body fat and more muscle too. Gotta love that! I am going to stick with WW for the motivation, but the scales are not running my life anymore. I will take measurements on Saturday morning to compare to my beginning ones 12 weeks ago. Wow.... only 12 weeks ago! It went so fast.

Aphil - I like your reward idea. I found a store that sells cheap charm bracelets and whenever I lose a Kilo (2.2 lbs) I add a charm to my bracelet... even though I carry it around in my handbag, and wear it at home as it is too clunky to be shuffling paper while wearing it at work, I really look forward to putting those charms on. My next one is an airplane that represents the flight home.... It is a good motivator when you are heading for those evil cookies!
ps. My hubby is a little boy too.... he head is full of 'useless to me information' and I wish he could add and subtract his bills and income, instead of knowing every bike on the road, who sang what song in what year, and the sports stats for almost every major sport in the world..... but I like that querky side of him, and I am a finance type person at work so it all works out in the end.... I am sure there are good things about the DH that when you are mad at him, don't come to mind right away.

Nancy - Bruce will be fine on the roads... he is a winter smart guy and will get through the Rockies no worries. You will be joining him shortly too once the house sells. Keep smiling about the holiday too. I feel that way sometimes over here when holidays are not the way you expect them to be..... just be glad you are not having left over turkey stuffing sandwiches on the weekend!

Tryin hard - you are my goddess... wow I did not realise you had lost 103 pounds, that is truly amazing! I bet you feel fantastic!!
Great work! Are you still losing or maintaining at this point?

Hi to everyone else.... hope your weeks are going good and that everything is on track ! I will chat with you all soon!!

*hugs*
Nola.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:24 AM   #75  

I need a whole crew of dancer's-because I am down another pound to 197-2 pounds total for the challenge, and now a total of 14 lost! This makes a 2 pound loss over the last week-so I am REAL happy!!!!
I guess getting all ticked last week at everyone oohing and ahhing over the same 10 pounds my SIL lost an eon ago was motivation enough for me!! I cannot wait until Christmas and New Years and Easter and any other chance I can get now to show off the incredible shrinking woman!
Well, It is the day before Thanksgiving-so I need to get in gear and exercise, do laundry, get my hair trimmed, and bake that crustless diet pumpkin pie for tomorrow! I'll check in later!
Aphil
Closed Thread