General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 04:31 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hello,
Holly-do you wear contact lenses? Sometimes when a contact is getting old and has a lot of buildup on it, or if it doesn't fit well anymore-like when your prescription changes or due to certain medications-they will cause the same thing. If you don't-put a very warm wet washcloth on it when it gets goopy to loosen and soften it away-rather than roughly scrubbing at it. The same goes when removing makeup from your eyes-gentle, like with a wet cotton ball-no scrubbing with the washcloth! The eye skin is very thin and almost poreless...and pulling and tugging can cause more wrinkles....
If it doesn't clear up soon, I would make an appointment to see your doctor.
Kina-I am also exhausted. I slept like poo at my inlaws Christmas Eve night-I never sleep well anywhere but home. Last night was wading through the wrapping paper and tons of boxes and trying to figure out where I am going to put all of this stuff...I went through this morning and bagged up a bunch of stuff to take to the Goodwill to drop off. Jason is out at Sears-my mom and stepdad gave him a gift card-so he is in Craftsman tool heaven about now.
Since you didn't get your cookbook-why don't you let me know what kind of recipes you are looking for, and I will go through mine and email them to you. I'll make you a cookbook myself.
Okay-I need all of the results in from the Christmas challenge-let me know how much you have lost since the start of it, or if you maintained if that is what you were doing, and so on...I need to do our little closing ceremony before I start the next challenge.
Well, I need to put some more stuff away...
Aphil
Old 12-27-2002, 12:57 AM   #182  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Well hello ladies! I see we have survived for the coming year.

Holly~~~I am so sorry you have that miserable pink eye. That is exactly what pink eye sounds like. I have had it once and luckily my children had had some time before and I had saved the tube of prescription med. I am sure it will go away eventually just not as fast as with medication. The only tip I can give is change out any eye make-up and like Amy said the contacts have also become contaminated. Also keep your hands clean always until it goes away and it is contagious so be extra careful with others.

Amy~~~I hear you about bagging stuff up usually I get it done before the holidays come but this year I was so busy with school that time wasn't given to me. But anyhow it's something that must get done. Well about the book...I didn't get it I won't go near a store right now. I dread shopping as it is and especially before and after holidays. I have already decided that I will be placing layaways at the beginning of the year. And hopefully it will not be so crazy by Christmas as it was this year. But it's kind of hard when we have no closet space here. So it is easier said than done.

As for the challenge no loss here but no gain. My goal was to lose but that didn't happen. It was well worth the effort. I am hoping to get the scale moving soon. I logged onto nutrise.com or something like that and it gives you a exercise schedule. Maybe I need something like that. I don't know. I'm trying though.

Okay well I better get going now. I have to get on my machine before I get lazy. bye
kina
Old 12-27-2002, 01:52 PM   #183  
DNW

Just stopped in to say HI...sorry I have been missing in action lately. I have been doing the Xmas eating thing andwill need all the support I can get after the new year...plan to post and give and get support on your threads along with my buddies on Doing Your Own Thing #7 (currently). I am realy pysched to do the right thing for me in the new year.

Currently, just to show that the posting and support do work here, although I put back on some weight over Xmas, I am at the lowest weight I have ever been in the past 7 years, at this time of the year, and I am still posting my food, good or bad....

These threads helped me to get, and stay honest, and for that I can never tell you how much your presense, and the help from others has meant to me.

Even though I do not post all the time on your thread I still read it daily for encouragement and great ideas!

Happy New Year!!
Old 12-27-2002, 04:19 PM   #184  

DNW-
I am glad that you are being honest about the holiday eating, because you can't fix what you don't acknowledge!
I hope that you will be back on track when the new year starts, but I have to say-there is no reason that you have to wait until then to get back on track. You can do like Holly and get rid of all the lingering cookies, chocolates, etc...Christmas is over. I had a few holiday indulginces, but I was careful to only have one dessert, or one splurge at each event-rather than blowing it too badly...I have decided that for New Years it is going to be a glass or two of champagne, and other than that I am going to keep my eating right on track that day. We are having our annual party, too...so I am buying snacks I really don't care all that much for, like regular Doritos...(I prefer Cool Ranch flavored ones ) I will have plenty for everyone, but nothing that I like so much that it will be hard to resist them-especially after a drink or two.
What the deal is with the holidays anyway? We save foods like certain desserts, turkey, etc. and only make them at the holidays-so it is like "If I don't eat it now, I'll miss out!" I have tried to change this attitude to " They still have turkeys and stuff to make banana pudding at all times of the year-there is no reason I have to be a pig today! I will choose one or two things I really love, and forget the rest! Hams, stuffing, and mashed potatoes are NOT going to fall off the face of the earth after Christmas!" Think about it in that sense...you CAN make sugar cookies and gingerbread men when it is not December. On the other hand, there ARE a few things which can only be found seasonally...so I save my spurges for those. (I have already planned months in advance to have a single Cadbury Creme Egg on Easter! )
I hope everyone is having a good day...I am coming down with a sore throat a bit, and still trying to reorganize fromChristmas and prepare for our New Years Party...so I am a busy bee.
Everyone take care,
Aphil
"Every day is a new one-do not let yesterday's binges affect today."
Old 12-27-2002, 06:31 PM   #185  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/154/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hello!

Amy and Kina, thanks for the input on the pink-eye. Today it is all better; I am so glad. I don't wear contacts, so I guess I just picked up germs from somewhere. I was very careful, since it occurred, to not allow myself to touch the infected eye with anything but a clean Kleenex; then threw that out. Ditto with washing it carefully with a warm washcloth; didn't use the same washcloth on the other eye.

Well, I will blow the good "challenge" statistics badly; 5 days ago, I weighed 142; today the scale shows 148. I know it's fluids; but it sure doesn't look good for the challenge totals! But I'm still my size 6, so that is good!!!

Amy, HOW TRUE about thinking about treats differently; the same foods are available year-round; that shouldn't be our excuse to indulge and then regret. At work, we throw food out everyday (a regular foodservice sin, I know; but believe me, it is difficult to find agencies that will send someone timely to pick it up before it gets dumped) and one has to get the mindset of "just because it's there, doesn't mean you have to eat it!" or "it's going to get thrown out if I don't eat it".

If anyone has leftover temptations in your house, like cookies, candy; consider packing it on little plates and donating it to public service places, such as fire departments, rescue squads, police stations. People that have to be staffed round the clock during the holidays appreciate things like that; plus it gets it out of the house! Or I also took some to the people at our local bank, who at first groaned, then said yum, thanks!

I came home early from work today because my cold has just not relented; my throat was so sore, and I was starting to lose my voice. And just overall awful feeling; joints were aching, too. So I climbed into bed with hot tea, slept for two hours and feel alot better now. But I'll still take it easy for the next couple of days. You would think that a body that is in relatively good shape would be able to fight back; I guess it's the Christmas good stress that makes us vulnerable.

Hello to everyone, take care and stay healthy!
Your friend, Holly
Old 12-27-2002, 08:04 PM   #186  

S/C/G: 200/200/125

Height: 5'4"

Hey all!

I admit it, I got lost again! Hope everyone had a great holiday

I am now less than 4 weeks from my due date! Still don't know if its a boy or a girl so I guess its officially a surprise Still have no definite names picked out.. poor nameless child!

I have gained almost 40 pounds
Hopefully I follow the pattern of last pregnancy and lose 35 within a few weeks of giving birth! (Wishful thinking I'm sure )

Just thought I'd drop in to let everyone know I'm still alive.
Hopefully I'll have the time to return a little more often in a month or so!!

Christine
Old 12-28-2002, 12:44 AM   #187  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Aphil~~~I know this is short notice and it may not get to you in time. But I want to see if you have recipes for whole chicken with the sides and calorie counts. I know it is alot to ask but if you have something handy. Parents are coming over tomorrow and I want to bake a chicken and offer them a healthy filling meal. If unable to get to me before then it will still be okay I will just save it for another evening. Thanks.

Kina
Old 12-28-2002, 11:35 AM   #188  
DNW

Aphil thanks for the sound advice and the well needed reminder that food will always be there, as long as I live in a developing country and work...you are right, and I have already in the past day or so slowed it down...besides my stomache is killing me, I am having bowel problems, and all in all my body is saying...why, oh why, oh why, when I was feeling so good did you do this to me again??

Kina and Vermont Mom: You two have really accomplished alot and for that you should be very proud, as I am sure you are...you both are good role models for me.

Silence: 40 lbs. will come off very soon, think of all those feedings, all night long, and th diapers, et. al. Lots of calories to be burned there!
Old 12-29-2002, 01:46 AM   #189  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Hi DNW~~~glad to you active on the thread again. Don't sound so down be positive. You have accomplished so much in just this year that you should be so proud and even with the upcoming resolutions. I am dreading them myself but I am going to look at the bright side...I am 30 lbs lighter than I was this time last year! Find something to regain your focus and follow through.

Also I am so sorry to hear you are having stomach troubles are you getting a balance in your diet. That seems to always get me in a mess. Take care of that.

Christine~~~I can't remember, will this be your first baby? Will you be nursing? I nursed my 3rd child the longest and I will tell you I lost so much weight. I think it was the most weight I had lost between all of my children and I lost it fast. Nursing is becoming a thing of the past but it is a free choice. Whichever way you chose the smartest thing to do is to not let too much time pass. As soon as you get DRs approval to begin exercising jump on the ball. Much luck to you as you near the countdown.

Holly~~~How is your poor eye doing? I hope it has gotten better. I know how miserable you were feeling.

Amy~~~About the earlier post no rush on it, Mom and Dad ended up here for lunch! Big surprise! I wasn't ready or nothing. I tell you vacations always get me so upside down confused. I don't know what day we are on. I guess by getting up early to take grandma to dialysis is what got me all confused on my days. Anyway I also recieved two great recipes from Mrs Jim and I am going to give them a try. When you get the chance. Thanks.

Nancy~~~YooHoo! How are you doing? I hope you visit with DH was wonderful. Did you get through the Christmas rush in one piece? Come out come out from where ever you are! Hope to hear from you soon.

Okay well I am off to finish my surfing the web and then I am going to head for bed.
bye.
Kina
Old 12-29-2002, 10:03 AM   #190  

S/C/G: 200/200/125

Height: 5'4"

This is actually my second child. My daughter will be 4 on January 15th.
I attempted nursing with her but it didn't work out for us so I'm still not quite sure what I'll be doing this time. Guess I'd better decide soon, huh? lol
With my daughter I only gained a total of 24 pounds and within 2 weeks after having her I'd lost 35. Wouldn't it be nice if my body worked like that again but I know weight loss is harder with the second baby... unfortunately!!
The 39 pound gain would not be bothering me so much except that I just worked for a year and a half to lose just slightly more than that .. so the scale is ALMOST back to that original number! Rationally, I know, that a good 15-20 of those pounds should drop off right after the birth but seeing the numbers on the scale is still a difficult thing!
My top weight last pregnancy was 199 lbs.. and my highest non-preg weight was 195. This time I'm sitting at 191.5 at the moment! I was so hoping to stop before I hit 190 but such is life... at least the gain seems to have slowed/halted at this point so perhaps I'll just stay right here til I have baby... last time I actually lost a pound or two in the last month so I don't think this is too far fetched a hope!

Okay, now that I've written a novel of my pregnancy weight history I'll shush!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend and doing well with their diets.. erm.. lifestyle changes

I'll try to keep checking in this time and not get lost for my last month of non-dieting Keeping up with you gals keeps me psyched for post-baby weight loss!!

Christine
Old 12-29-2002, 10:56 AM   #191  

Hello everyone,
Silence-good to hear from you! Don't be upset about your weight gain-40 pounds is not bad at all for a pregnancy. Do not be discouraged if you gain a few this last month-because the last 4 werks is when the baby gets its "fat" before birth. (This is why preemie babies look thin and frail, and have to be in heated incubaters if they are real early.) They gain about 1/2 pound a week that last 4 weeks to give them the insulation they will need to maintain their body temperature after birth...that is why they induced Raiden a month early...he was 9 pounds, and they estimated he would have been around 11 had they not...ummm...NO THANKS!
Kina-I was out of town yesterday with my dad and his family for Christmas...with such a large family, we have things to go to until January 4 this year... I will look up some good recipes and get them to you!
Holly-Me and the kids are succumbing to all of the Christmas germs as well...I have a terrible cold-as does my son, and Jasmine had a tummy bug the last couple days and threw up a few times. I tell you, it is all the people we have been around...
She is feeling better, and hopefully I will soon.
DNW-I have the same trouble as you do-tummy and bowel trouble if I eat unhealthily...but as long as I am eating healthy foods including a lot of produce, and not a lot of fat-then I have hardly any trouble at all. Greasy meats like ground beef in certain restaurants like Chi-Chis, and things like sausage usualy get me the worst. I like to think of it like you do-that it is a wake up for me not eating the way I should be...
I am trying to get this house cleaned up from Christmas, so I can start preparing for the New Years party...and I need to be getting this tree down soon...so I best be off! Let's everyone not forget to get me those challenge stats!
Amy
Old 12-29-2002, 06:09 PM   #192  

Hello everyone....

I hope that Christmas was a good one for all!!!!

Sorry for not posting this past week. But with Bruce being home the days were so busy and the time went way to fast. He left this morning to go back to Calgary, I miss him so much already.

For the last week, I have been so OFF program,,, can we say TOXIC ??????? I feel absolutely awful. I have eaten things that I have not eaten in months and needless to say that I am glad that I dont do that type of eating anymore. All my will power just seemed to disapear for the past week. But I am back on track and I have the old determination back again.
I weighed myself the day after Christmas and I had gained 1/2 pound. But I have decided not to get weighed again till January 8th. I know that sometimes a person's body can take a few days to show pounds added and I really dont want to depress myself if it shows more then 1/2 pound that it showed on Thursday.

I am going to do daily exercise and drink lots of water. I know that I can get these last 30 pounds off by springtime.

My sister in law took some pics of us at Christmas with her digital camera, as soon as she sends them to me Ill post one of Bruce and I . I think they turned out pretty good.

Oh by the way Holly,,, I loved your Santa pic...!!!!

Amy,,, I cant remember what day we started the challenge, can you let me know? then I can post my results.

Kina, DNW, Christine, Tryin Hard.... a big hello to you all also!!!!

Well ill be back later,,, got to change some clothes from the washer to the dryer....

Bye for now
Nancy

198.8/180.9/150
Old 12-30-2002, 10:03 AM   #193  

Good morning-
Nancy-we started the Christmas challenge on November 20th...and at least you got back on track after only a week off plan-some fall off of the wagon for months and gain lots of weight back, so you are doing well gettig back on track after only gaining 1/2 pound. Good for you. If you commit to the daily exercise, you should be slim and trim by the start of summer NO PROBLEM!
As far as my stats, I lost 7 pounds from 11/20 to Christmas. I was hoping for 8, so I would reach my 20 pound mark, but I can't complain. I am in the works of creating our New Years challenge that will start on January 1, so everyone get geared up for that...details coming soon!
I will be posting our winners of the Christmas challenge very soon!!!!
We are dropping the kids off tonight with Jason's parents. They are keeping the kids for two nights while we get things ready tonight and tomorrow, and then for tomorrow nights party.
You know, I am not really in the partying mood. This yearly thing is really much more for my husband-I could care less. I would rather watch a movie or read. Instead, I get to clean the house, decorate, have loud music and loud people in my home, and then clean up when they are all gone...my husban'd best friend Mike is going to be here. He is a really good guy-but he is about 6'2" and weighs about 300 pounds. I have to pretty much hide anything that I do not want him to eat before he gets here. I am not kidding. He has woken up before us on occasions when he has stayed the night, and eaten a half gallon of ice cream-unbeknownst to me-and I then get up and make breakfast for him and my husband-finding the empty ice cream carton a few hours later in the trash...He eats more than any person I have ever seen. It used to not bother me so much, but lately it really has. I have sat there and seen him go through 7-8 packs of Halloween sized M&Ms in one sitting, and from reading the labels and knowing that they are 100 calories each-I realize that he just downed 800 calories and didn't even taste them. He eats them more like you would do a hard liquor shot-opens the end and dumps them in in one bite.
The sad thing is, he doesn't enjoy being fat, and has talked to me on many occasions about losing weight-but he is too lazy to exercise regularly, and he will only do quick loss type diets, and then go back to the way he was eating before. I have told him many times, that even if he ate exactly the same fattening foods that he was currently eating, but took it down some-(such as 2 or 3 of the M&M bags instead of 8)-that he would probably drop 30 pounds over the next year!!! He actually must have a pretty quick metabolism, because if I ate what he did-I would be up to 400 pounds!!!
But if they won't commit to doing it the right way-what can you do? (Well, you can hide what you don't want him to eat! )
Well, I better get going. I need to exercise and have some breakfast.
Ladies-get those buns moving!!!!!!Everyone do their exercise today!
Aphil
Old 12-30-2002, 05:19 PM   #194  

Hi all...

Ok my totals for the challenge are: 7.4 pounds lost,,, but with the 1/2 pound gain(from christmas) it comes out to 6.9

I am ready for the new challenge, bring it on!!!!!

Nancy

198.8/180.9/150ish
Old 12-31-2002, 08:55 PM   #195  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Default Happy New Year!

I can't stay too long we are off to the ranch to ring in the new year with the rest of the family. Hopefully we will get to see my brothers along with their children. Well actually only one set of my niece and nephews because the others are very disrespectful it's pitiful.

Anyhow...I have been nursing a throat infection these couple of days and my left side of my neck is very swollen and painful to the touch. I have been dealing with chills and fever all day long but I showered and I am hoping I will be able to get through the night. How awful to thr bring in the new year sick . But I am not going to succumb to my illness I am going to get out there with the family and enjoy it all.

Well I just stopped by to...wish you all a wonderful and safe...

Happy New Year!

bye.
Kina
Closed Thread