General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 03:03 PM   #166  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Default Thank you so much!

This is alot of information but I am cutting and pasting to a Word document and printing it off. Keeping it tucked away in my purse like Amy suggests. I believe is the greatest idea for the "woman on the go"...truly an awesome idea! One that I would definetly have never thought of.

On the other hand...drum roll please...REPORT CARDS ARE IN. I recieved an A for Math 371 and a C in English 1301...atleast I passed. Now normally I would be so upset and distraught that I would be munching on eveything unmentionable but I'M NOT GOING TO DO THAT! Instead I stuck a piece of gum in my mouth and I am chewing like a to get all the aggressions out on this poor little stick of gum.

See now that brings me to those little things I stick into my mouth...I'm never weary of those things because in my eyes they are small are harmless but I bet you that is jeopardizing my scale big time. I think I need to make a food diary and jot down everything. I think I am going to the dollar store today to find a pretty journal that will fit in my purse and will look pleasing to my eyes. Hopefully with that I will get into good habits of writing it down and that way I can see what I am really putting into my mouth.

Snowey ~~~you are so right I don't want to feel guilty about every little thing I put into my mouth. I tell you it will certainly be a big adjustment getting to know what the value is to everything I eat and staying within my 1500 calories.

You all have been so helpful and I am just hoping that I will be able to set things in motion. So just that I won't freak myself out I am going to give myself a pep talk and I want you all to correct me if I have misinterpretted anything...okay!

"Corina, you can eat anything you want to eat as long as you stay within your 1500 calories. You can still have your occasional burger just opt for the smaller junior sizes. But whatever you do stay away from the JUMBO sizes. You can still have a full meal but with resonable portion sizes. You will not feel hungry after these smaller meals that seem foreign to you. You are making changes to your future and making a life change for the better. You can have apples and bananas and you can even have pizza! Even better you can still go out to eat just be sure to pack a doggie bag before you start eating and whatever you do stay away from the fried stuff."

Now let me know if I messed up somewhere in there. I know I am going to mess up a few times here and there and my calories may go over a bit during this adjusting stage but I think I will get the hang of it. I am really enjoying these books. Some do look outdated but most of them don't even look like that spine has been broken for the first time!

Okay well I am going to jump on my elliptical machine and get those 30 min in. Talk to you all later we will be going out to the grocery store in a bit so I have to get exercise in now. bye.
Corina
Old 12-22-2002, 09:43 AM   #167  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Nancy-have a great time with your husband!!!!
I just finished up my grandmother's Christmas gathering last night, and today is my husband's maternal grandparents gathering....we have so many this week. We are hoping to get out of there early enough to hit the movie theatre and catch Lord of the Rings Two Towers afterwards...the kids will be staying with grandma tonight....
Wish me luck on willpower during the gathering-last night's was perfect-I could have kissed my grandma just for that-she had a fresh vruit and veggie tray there, as well as roasted turkey without the skin-and had diet soda, as well as the regular stuff-so I was able to eat with everyone else....
BTW-Nancy, I DID hear you.....
Aphil
Old 12-22-2002, 09:46 AM   #168  

Kina-once you get used to counting calories and writing down what you are eating, it will be a breeze. Let me know what calorie counts from foods you want and I will be glad to look it up for you dear!
Good job on your shcool grades! That A is fantastic, and a C is also pretty good for a woman with a family to take care of-not like these young kids with no other responsibilities-you did great!
Amy
Old 12-22-2002, 01:01 PM   #169  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Thanks...Amy, it is hard to balancing it all and many times I feel like throwing in the towel. But I think to myself silently "That would be too easy." I usually have those pep talks with myself as often as needed.

OBTW! Lord of The Rings Tower Two is AWESOME! Expect to sit a LONG time. It is about 3 hours long give or take some. I took DH to see it for his birthday present and he loved it. Now he can't wait until it comes out on DVD so that he can watch it over and over and over. OMG, i am already exhausted from seeing the first one over and over and over again! LOL

I think I have been doing pretty good calorie-wize. Um? I eat alot of ground meat and I know you will say switch that to turkey or chicken and it will be smooth sailing. But unfortunately with a large family groundmeat is sometimes the staple in our meals. I make tacos, chalupas, enchiladas, rice and meat, fidello and meat, spaghetti with meatballs, chicken and rice, beans (another staple in my family), also hamburger helper is a favorite of the kids, spam lite, potatoes with meat...I can't think of any others off the top of my head. Then we have sides of veggies to go along with the meals...mostly corn and greenbeans or a salad. So it's obvious to me that I will be eating aside from the family unless I have the willpower to limit myself to one serving.

Yesterday's food consumption:

Breakfast:
1/2 c beans, 2 bacon, 1 c eggs(which is probably 2 eggs) water

Lunch:
2 lettuce burgers ( hamburger patty with cheese wrapped in lettuce with tomatoes and pickles and mustard...even tastier than I thought it would be) diet soda

Dinner:
homemade taco salad (ground meat, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and a sprinkle of hot sauce) 3 glasses of water (2before and 1after)

Cheats:
1 candy cane

I noticed, as usual, late night that I hadn't drinken enough water so late last night I was drinking away and I think I had to stop at 5 glasses. I read somewhere that I should be drinking 13 glasses of water a day to help in flushing out my system if I am trying to lose weight. So I am aiming to hit 13 every day. so far I don't think I have been lucky. But I am getting close.

Today we go to a Christmas party and there will be lots of food. OMG Well hopefully I will make the best choices. I have to run talk to you all later.
Old 12-22-2002, 02:53 PM   #170  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/154/145

Height: 5' 5"

Angry

Hello!!!

Gosh, it's been a week since I've posted...nothing wrong here, just holiday-busy.

Woo-hoo to Amy, going down, and Nancy, into the 180's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And to tryin'hard, maintaining so well, and Kina, who is asking intelligent questions and on the way to her personal best!!!

I am super-pleased that when I weighed today, scale said 142; and more important, the two size 6 jeans are still fitting wonderfully.

I understand tryin'hard's statement about being "afraid to open the gates" (paraphrased); there have been times in the past couple of months when I've refused something fatty/sweet/caloric and my husband says "what?! you're skinny, you can have it!" But I'm afraid that serving will lead to another the next day, and the next, and so on. All I can say is that we have our clothes and the scale to monitor ourselves; when the clothes get tight or the scale goes up more than 5 pounds, that's when to cut back.

I have alot (all!) my wrapping to do, then a few more batches of cookies, then I think I'm set for Christmas. OH!!! my lady co-workers gave me a set of red, fur-trimmed undies - bra and panties - they think I am a total wild woman, as I ride a motorcycle, and think that outfit is what I should wear as I bake cookies or wrap presents I did do a "photo shoot" with the outfit on last night, in front of the tree, so I will be a shameless hussy and post it here. I might have to resize, so give me some time, but I promise tonight it will be here!

Talk to you later!!

Your friend, Holly
Old 12-22-2002, 09:00 PM   #171  
Biker Chick!

Default Warning - scantily-clad Christmas lady!

Here goes:
Old 12-22-2002, 09:02 PM   #172  
Biker Chick!

The above photo was made possible with the HELP and SUPPORT from my friends here!!! Thank you all!!
Old 12-22-2002, 11:24 PM   #173  
DNW

Merry Xmas all and although I haven't written in a few weeks I have been lurking around and you all seem to be doing great. Talk to you after the holidays...that's when we all have to knuckle down again....at least I do.

My major feat for this Xmas holiday....kept my loss and didn't gain since I have been getting all my inspiration and help from the many ladies on all the threads I participate on at 3FC.

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year!!
Old 12-23-2002, 09:04 AM   #174  

Good morning!!!!
Holly-OMG!!!!!!Girl-you licking the candy cane in the picture is the icing on the cake, let me tell you!
You look fabulous, really!!!! Now I AM picturing you baking and wrapping like that! (I don't think your husband would complain...)
I solemnly vow to you that when I hit my goal weight, I will be a brazen hussy and put up some swimsuit or bellydance costume photos!
Kina-my family also eats a lot of ground meat-here is what I have done to help myself:
I still make taco salads, but I measure out only a very small amount of meat-like 1/4 cup/2oz. and measure out only a very small amount of cheese as well-since those two places are where the calories lie. I use a very large amount of lettuce, which is only 5 calories a cup, and some salsa and tomatoes and a few baked Tostitos instead of regular ones-a lot less calories there as well. My salad is mainly lettuce and tomatoes, with a few small amounts of the cheese and meat-so it is filling but a lot less calories, and I am getting my veggie serving from the large salad part of the salad. Never use the fried taco salad shells like you get in a restaurant-they are TERRIBLE for you.
I also make spaghetti, but I keep a little of the sauce without meat for me in a small pan to the side, and skip the garlic bread and have a small salad or piece of fruit instead.
There are ways to cut calories in your meal, while continuing to make pretty much the same thing.
As far as Hamburger or Tuna Helper-I still make this, but I omit any butter that it calls for, and use skim milk in the types that require milk. That and you measure out your 1 cup serving when it is done-and eat no more. Do they like Tuna or Chicken Helper? When you make those, it has two listings for calories-one for what is in the package, and one next to it that says "prepared". You want to use the prepared one, because that means it is the calories in a serving that includes the milk, meat, etc. that you add to it. You must be diligent about measuring out that 1 cup however, and eating only that.
I also microwave myself a baked potato if I am making mashed or fried ones for my husband. You just poke a couple fork holes in one, and nuke it for a few minutes-until it is tender when you poke at it with a fork-about 3-4 minutes for a small one, and 5-6 for a large one. A small baked potato is 100 calories, a medium about 150, and a large one 200. Then I will CAREFULLY measure out 1 Tablspoon of butter only-for 100 calories, or light margerine for 50 calories.
Aphil
Old 12-23-2002, 10:18 PM   #175  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Wow! Thanks Amy! That was so helpful...for a minute I was afraid to hear that I would have to cook a seperate meal for msyelf. Thank goodness, with that it seems I may be able to get this going without any unsure feelings. I have been doing pretty good. Although I have to say I did have birthday cake today. I don't care for Hamburger Helper myself but the kids like it. I enjoy some of them not all of them. I also like to eat the Chicken Helper more. I usually fry my own taco shells for our tacos but since starting this calorie counting thing I figured it might not be a good idea. I was wondering would be okay if I bake them? My mom showed me how to get the corn tortilla and set it hanging on the oven rack and let it bake for a few minutes and WAH-LAH taco shells without the dripping grease.

Since starting the counting thing I have been trying to stay away from chips. So if I have a taco salad it will be without the chips but it is good to know in case I ever have the urges.

I can already tell that I have to be very strict with the measuring and not giving into more than that. I don't know about you but I went onto Nutrise website and it gives me a suggested menu but it gives me way more calories than 1500. I thought gosh this is th suggested meal plan for me to cut calories and still lose weight and I am staying way below that. So who knows!

Anyhow...I am so thankful to you all that are supportive and willing to share with me your knowledge. That is so kind of you all. Thank you all very much.

DNW~~~How are you doing? I hope you have a wonderful holiday. Come back as soon you get the time.

Holly~~~Wowser! Did you say you were a mom? I hope that one day I will look half as good as you. And with the cherry on the top someone will ask "You said you were a mom?" LOL DH would love for me to get a Santa suit like that even at the weight that I am at now but I am not so bold. Veering off the road a bit here...would you happen to have a before picture of you before you became this motorcycle mama? Just curious.

Nancy~~~how are you doing? I hope you had a wonderful quality time with DH! Take care.

Well I better run. The family is about to go out and drive the streets with Christmas music coming from speakers and look at all the houses that have been decorated with lights and such for Christmas. It's our annual event. Then we are going to Wal Mart to tie up some loose ends with the Christmas presents.

Bye.
Corina
Old 12-24-2002, 06:37 AM   #176  
Biker Chick!

Good morning everyone, on Christmas Eve day!

Can youbelieve I"ve caught another cold - I think it must be from working with the public more closely, handling money and such (butI do wash my hands whenever I can!). I thought that eating right and exercising should keep me from falling to cold germs...?

Excellent suggestions to Kina, Aphil! The portion sizing is SO important. When one cup of prepared dinner is measured out, Kina, it doesn't look like much, I know. But you get to fill out your plate with veggies such as green beans and green salad, with either a little lo-cal/lo-fat dressing (watch the serving on the dressings, too) or try to wean yourself completely away from dressings. I like to put my hot food (if it's like a prepared casserole/ground meat mixture/whatever) directly on my big bed of greens.

I also remember trying to learn to eat much more slowly, so the brain has time to realize that we have just eaten, and to prolong the suppertime with the family. This was difficult, but try chewing each mouthful at least 20 times. Really!

I do have a pic of me from Christmas last year; I have a large blazer over my outfit, so it doesn't cling (gosh, no, not then!) but it does show me as being larger. I'll have my DH scan it and put it here soon.

We received fresh snow last night, which looks so pretty, but means I have to shovel! Good exercise, though, right?

I will be back to wish every one Merry Christmas tonight/tomorrow, but wish everyone a low-stress Christmas Eve!

Your friend, Holly
Old 12-24-2002, 10:47 AM   #177  

Hi,
Kina-if you are using packaged tortillas to make the baked shells, then you would just use the calories on the package-since you are not frying them in anything. Baked is definitely the way to go. Oil/grease has about 100 calories per tablespoon-so by frying them you are adding about 50 calories to each shell...that really adds up over time-and if you bake them, and say-have 2 tacos-that is 100 calories you are saving to eat something else!
We are getting ready to go to my father's tonight-and then to my inlaw's, where we are spending the night to have Christmas breakfast in the morning. I am taking a pack with some provisions inside-an oatmeal packet, diet soda, a Slim-Fast bar, and a couple pieces of fruit. I have to be prepared in case what is offered over the next 24 hours is not diet friendly...the scale has been hanging on to 192 for over a week now, and I want to make sure it gets moving again...I can't complain, though-I have lost about 2 pounds a week for the last month-so my body probably needs a week or two to adjust.
My husband told me this year to pick out my own Christmas presents-he just gave me cash last week-it was great-let me tell you! I bought a Smoothie Elite Blender-it has more power than a regular blender-and has features just for smoothie making. I have used it twice already, and Ijust love it. I also bought a new workout video, and to my husband's demise-I bought a new faucet for the bathroom sink, which he is putting on right now...the one that has been here since we bought the house has all of the finish off-almost like the lady who lived here used some too strong cleaner on it...you should have seen Jason's face when part of my present required him to go to work... It isn't a real romantic gift, but I have wanted it replaced for over a year now-since we moved here.
Well, better go-lots to get done.
Have a Merry Christmas!
Aphil
Old 12-24-2002, 08:26 PM   #178  
Biker Chick!

Default T'was the night before Christmas...

and I'm those who have families will be "stirring" long into the night, unless you're a super-organized person and I'm happily jealous of you

My older son (19) is here to spend the night, so it's nice to have both our boys here. He lives only 50-some miles away, so we do see him often, but it's nice of him to be here tonight/tomorrow.

Wishing you all a very nice, memorable, loving holiday with your families!

Your friend, Holly
Old 12-26-2002, 07:49 AM   #179  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

OMG! Is it over yet? I hadn't been getting enough sleep these past few days. I hadn't been getting enough water in my system either. Although I have been very aware of what I have been eating and figuring if it was fattening, and i just had to have it, I would only eat a little bit.

I don't know if it was stress or what but my sleeping pattern was flip flopped like a new-born baby. ??? I think it was stress.

But I also think my scale is truly broken because I will zero it and it says there is two lbs of weight on it but there is nothing on there. So I think I will be seriously thinking about a new scale but shoot I only that one this year and already it's messed up! That's because it's one of those nice digital expensive ones...anything over 20 bucks is expensive when it comes to a mom with 4 kids. LOL

Anyhow...DH got me Josh Groban on DVD in concert. I loved it but wasn't extremely excited about especially when I asked that I for a specific cookbook that showed the nutrian facts...calories and all that. O well he did tell me to take it back and get what I wanted. He so sweet though he knows I love Josh Groban, he sings so beautifully.

I think I will skidaddle out of here now. Talk to you wonderful people later. I hope you had an exciting Christmas event!
bye.
kina
Old 12-26-2002, 08:14 AM   #180  
Biker Chick!

Hi everyone!

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas with family and friends.

Today I must get back to regular routine, with exercise (haven't in three days? ) and LOTS of water. I also am going to pack up all the remaining Christmas cookies (dozens left) and give it to whoever will take it!!! Trash pickup man, water delivery dude, ladies at the bank...it's gotta go out of here. It's hard enough for me to resist, but then my husband and son are tempted also, so it's best for all of us. There is also an unopened one pound box of Whitman's Sampler chocolates that my brother gave me, and I am so debating just giving it to someone...I love chocolates, but don't have the will power to just eat one or two.

Has anyone here ever had "pink eye", conjunctivitis? one of my eyes is very goopy and bloodshot; doesn't seem to be any foreign object in it, irritating it. It's better this morning; but yesterday when I woke up, my eye was totally glued shut with the dried goop (sorry!) I'm just wondering if it'll go away by itself or if I need to go to a doctor...

I'm lucky I have off today; but back to work tomorrow. So today is cleaning up and tidying and eating right and exercising!!!

Talk to you later!
Your friend, Holly
Closed Thread