trans fats

• what the **** are they?
    i keep reading about trans fats but im so confused, wikpeidia still left me confused too!

i live in ireland so are they something that is labelled on american foods? because only the odd thing over here has poly or mono fats even labelled. can i have a few examples of high trans fat foods?
  • Canned Cake Frosting is loaded with Trans Fats. I have been told that is one of the worst foods.

Here is a good article about Trans Fats:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/trans-fat/CL00032

What is trans fat?
    Trans fat comes from adding hydrogen to vegetable oil through a process called hydrogenation. Trans fats are more solid than oil is, making them less likely to spoil. Using trans fats in the manufacturing of foods helps foods stay fresh longer, have a longer shelf life and have a less greasy feel.

Trans fat in your food
    Commercial baked goods — such as crackers, cookies and cakes — and many fried foods, such as doughnuts and french fries — may contain trans fats. Shortenings and some margarines can be high in trans fat.

Reading food labels
    How do you know whether food contains trans fat? Look for the words "partially hydrogenated" vegetable oil. That's another term for trans fat. The word "shortening" also is a clue: Shortening contains some trans fat.
  • thanks scraver i was getting really worried i was eating loads of them without even realising but i dont think i am, that was really informative and much appreciated !