Diet Recommendation - Hate Meat

• I have a friend who has been exercising with me and she's really struggling to find a diet plan that works for her. She does NOT like meat, except occasionally chicken. I've always focused my study of diets to low carb/high protein because that's what works for me so I'm absolutely clueless how to help her.

Any advice or suggestions? TIA
  • This may be a stupid question, but has she tried simply counting calories? That's what I do and that's basically how I lost 110 pounds (before getting pregnant and gaining much of it back so now I have to do it again). I could never in a million years do low carb, and as of this past January I'm a vegetarian. Most people get far more protein than they really need, so she probably doesn't need to worry about missing protein on a vegetarian diet, and plant protein comes from much less scary sources (I'm thinking of factory farming here).
  • She could read 'Skinny *****' or the 'Flexitarian Diet'.
  • I don't know anything about the plan, but I had thought Volumetrics had a big emphasis on veggies, but I could be wrong.

Just straight up calorie counting as PP suggested may be the best route, no gimmick required, and it's free!
  • Skinny B**** in the Kitch is GREAT - a ton of delish vegan recipes that are super healthy.

I'm a vegetarian and eat a lot of egg whites, beans, tofu and other soy-based proteins (from whole foods).
  • I'm hesitant to suggest calorie counting because I personally don't think it can be done without the benefit of additional info or another program. I mean, you may only be eating 1,500 calories, but what good is that if all those calories are processed refined starchy sugary carbs?

I checked out the Flexitarian Diet and really like it! I will suggest that to her. Thanks!
  • I think the Engine 2 diet is pretty awesome. It was designed to lower cholesterol at a fire station with the help of a cardiac doctor.
  • If she's not losing weight, she may be suffering protein deficiency. I often find that when I don't have enough protein I tend not to lose. This is because my body is holding onto whatever protein it can. Has your friend ever had edamame beans? You can pick them up in the frozen foods section of most supermarkets, and in half a cup of the shelled beans, there's only 110 calories. Also, I started out my journey having cheese as a daily part of my lunch. In the cheddar cheese I'm pretty partial to, there's 110 calories in an ounce.
  • I checked Skinny B!tch out of the library the other week... I was glad I didn't pay for it - I didn't realize it was all about giving up booze and animals. (Not going to happen here) BUT it was a great book for anyone that does NOT eat meat. Lots of great suggestions on healthy stuff to eat and how to get protein. And it was written humerously and clearly - easy to understand.
  • Quote:
    I checked Skinny B!tch out of the library the other week... I was glad I didn't pay for it - I didn't realize it was all about giving up booze and animals. (Not going to happen here) BUT it was a great book for anyone that does NOT eat meat. Lots of great suggestions on healthy stuff to eat and how to get protein. And it was written humerously and clearly - easy to understand.
    I do agree with you there. It works for some.

I do really like the flexitarian diet though. It really fits my lifestyle. I like the taste and simplicity of the recipes.
  • Quote: I checked Skinny B!tch out of the library the other week... I was glad I didn't pay for it - I didn't realize it was all about giving up booze and animals. (Not going to happen here) BUT it was a great book for anyone that does NOT eat meat. Lots of great suggestions on healthy stuff to eat and how to get protein. And it was written humerously and clearly - easy to understand.
    I was one of the poor suckers who bought the book not realizing it was a huge hate for people who ate meat. Honestly it made me feel like crap about myself and I stopped reading it after a few chapters. I would think there has to be better books out there.