3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General Diet Plans and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions-10/)
-   -   Doing our own thing #4 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/19761-doing-our-own-thing-4-a.html)

Jello 09-16-2002 12:33 PM

Ok, my friends. I have a serious question and can't ask just anyone. :?:

Let's jump right into it here. Frankly, my last 3 or 4 periods have been unbearable. This one arrived yesterday after a Saturday of slight cramping, headache and back ache. Yesterday I spent most of the day curled in a little ball and swallowed almost an entire bottle of Midol and a couple Pamprin to boot. Today, my back is killing me and I'm nauseaus and bloated. I've been to the ladies room at least a dozen times and still have to soak my underwear tonight. (Sorry for being gross. :( )

If memory serves me right, this will go on for at least the rest of today and tomorrow as well. Then the pain will back off but Aunt Flo will continue to ruin my cheap Walmart underwear for at least the rest of the week.

Those of you who know me best know that I had a run-in with ovarian cancer a few years ago. (January 1998.) Back then, the doc. took one ovary and tried to talk me into hysterectomy. I got other opinions and decided against it. Now I'm kicking myself. I've got to get on the phone and schedule an appt. and have been meaning to but, well, you know, life happens. I didn't want to go before because I didn't want it to ruin my vacation plans. (How's that for being childish about it?)

During the other 20 or so days of each month, I feel fine. Well, usually. I also have a tendency towards assorted infections. But today, I sorta want to die. Thank goodness Rich is driving me home tonight because I'm already fuzzy on drugs. Can you OD on Midol? Everyone's complaining that it's so cold in this building (I'm usually always cold) but I'm finding it unbearably warm. Obviously, I'm ill!

Anyone have any experience with "girlie problems"??

Hurtin' camper.

Tiffany123 09-16-2002 12:46 PM

I just have the heavy, heavy periods that last for a while, and then I spot all through, off and on, until the next one. I believe mine are Fibroid Tumors. When I delivered my surrogate baby last year, the doctor mentioned that I had Fibroids and we would have to watch them. And based on my research, I think that is causing my problems, but I don't have the cramping. Let me do some research on the net here and see what I can come up with.

Tiff

Dyanm1 09-16-2002 12:57 PM

Jello ~ I'm sorry to hear that your in so much pain. This may be a dumb question, but have you tried the pill (you could be on it as far as I know). But I've had friends get on it (when we were younger) due to cramps. I noticed it helped me also. I haven't been on the pill in ages, but if memory serves.....it helps. I remember in Jr. High, having to lay in the fetal positions w/ a heating pad as my best bud. I popped Tylenol and just rocked until I fell asleep, one I woke up I would be alot better. Once, it was so bad, I was vomiting up blood. The school sent me home. I had lost all color in my body. So I have been there, but don't know if you can OD on Midol. I say call the doc & find out. I have been cursed w/ one that last all 7 days and is very heavy. I started last Thursday and it's still heavy today!! Thank gawd for cheap draaws ;) .

I really hope you can find come answers and can start to feel better soon. I have 3 friends that have had hysterectomies not including my mom and co-worker. They are all fine. One friend was ready to go out party because she was "Fixed" HA go figure!!

Feel better.......

Tiffany123 09-16-2002 01:33 PM

Yeah, I am finding the usual stuff online. It could just be too many things, and I don't want to attempt to diagnose something that could potentially be very serious. Because, I LIKE you. Now, if you were Mike's ex, I would tell her that is wasn't a big deal and she should treat it with large doses of Arsenic.

Anyway, get it checked out hun.
Tiff
And in the mean time, take it out on the Witch.

DNW 09-16-2002 01:33 PM

Please see your doctor right away given your history you can't take a wait and see attitude with the symptoms you are reporting.

Also you have to be careful with how much Tylenol type products (Midol, et. al.) you take because of liver damage.

The nausea may be an irritated stomach lining due to all the medicine you took today, but it could have a lot to do with your period.

However, it could be neither and be related to your ovaries. Please, please call your gyno right away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yikes:

However, if you check out Ok with the doctor, and you don't OD on the medicine, you could try taking Correctol about 1-2 days before your period. I found that having a clean colon...get my drift dimished the cramps. Also take calcium and magesium..this is supposed to help cramps too..but it takes a cycle or two before you feel the results.

E-mail at [email protected] and let me know how you make out.

Quote:

Originally posted by Jello
Ok, my friends. I have a serious question and can't ask just anyone. :?:

Let's jump right into it here. Frankly, my last 3 or 4 periods have been unbearable. This one arrived yesterday after a Saturday of slight cramping, headache and back ache. Yesterday I spent most of the day curled in a little ball and swallowed almost an entire bottle of Midol and a couple Pamprin to boot. Today, my back is killing me and I'm nauseaus and bloated. I've been to the ladies room at least a dozen times and still have to soak my underwear tonight. (Sorry for being gross. :( )

If memory serves me right, this will go on for at least the rest of today and tomorrow as well. Then the pain will back off but Aunt Flo will continue to ruin my cheap Walmart underwear for at least the rest of the week.

Those of you who know me best know that I had a run-in with ovarian cancer a few years ago. (January 1998.) Back then, the doc. took one ovary and tried to talk me into hysterectomy. I got other opinions and decided against it. Now I'm kicking myself. I've got to get on the phone and schedule an appt. and have been meaning to but, well, you know, life happens. I didn't want to go before because I didn't want it to ruin my vacation plans. (How's that for being childish about it?)

During the other 20 or so days of each month, I feel fine. Well, usually. I also have a tendency towards assorted infections. But today, I sorta want to die. Thank goodness Rich is driving me home tonight because I'm already fuzzy on drugs. Can you OD on Midol? Everyone's complaining that it's so cold in this building (I'm usually always cold) but I'm finding it unbearably warm. Obviously, I'm ill!

Anyone have any experience with "girlie problems"??

Hurtin' camper.

Dyanm1 09-16-2002 03:55 PM

Okay, so I finally have some time to play and no one seems to be game. Bummer.

I'm so NOT looking forward to going to storage tonight. We share a storage w/ my mom and let me tell ya, it totally sucks!

So I would appear that the company in LA doesn't have the money that DH wants, so so much for that. The new and definite plan is, we're moving next summer to Utah. If my contract gets renewed I'll be here until May of next year then we'll move in June. We should have some money in the bank and life should be grand (I hope). I hope it won't be a case of the grass is greener.

Anyhoo, I'm done rambling and I'll check in later.

Tiffany123 09-16-2002 04:16 PM

I'm bored and sick and don't feel like playing. (taking my toys and going home) :D

Actually, I ordered this stuff that is absolutely the BOMB! It's called Simply Salsa. And it is seasoning in a bottle (like a large spice jar) that you mix with a can of chopped tomatos and BAM, you have salsa. It comes from a line called Simply Tasteful and it is SO wonderful. It is a Spring/Summer item, though and I was able to snag a few bottles before they stopped selling them for the season. So, I am having salsa tonight after WW...WOO HOO!!!! Of course, my throat is raw and sore, so I'm sure that will be EXCELLENT on it!

Maybe I had better save it for later and have a cup of Blackberry tea instead.

I have made a decision girls. I think it is time I started strength training. I don't want to lose this weight and then have saggy skin. I think I need to start doing some weights and things NOW before it is too late. So, as I lose the rest of this weight, I can tone as well. Walking just won't do that where I need it the most.

Anyone else here thinking along those lines? Besides Jo, the Gym Hootch? LOL

Curious....maybe I SHOULD join the gym, but heck, it is in the next town, and close to my job right now, but this IS temporary and who knows where I will be working next. I hate to sign up and then be on the other side of town and never go.

Things to ponder on a Monday,
Tiff

Tigerlily 09-16-2002 04:25 PM

Tiff, does the gym offer a monthly membership?
I'm with you, need to do something more than walking. I don't have gym that's close enough or cheap enough for that matter. :p

Leaves are starting to change color here. I love fall, but it comes on too quick, then wham, its gone.

Tiffany123 09-16-2002 04:27 PM

Tig, walk over here to my house and we will work out together. LOL

I am looking to see if they have a website. I know we have a "Gold's Gym" here too...trying to see what would be best for me. I like to play raquetball and stuff too...

Still checking,
Tiff

Tigerlily 09-16-2002 05:23 PM

whew, went out and pulled the brown leaves off my daylilies. quite a pile, looks like a pile of straw. draught city, everything is turn'n brown.

i would love to have someone to work out with. someone to be accountable too....since i can't seem to count on myself. :doh:

almost time for football practice. maybe i'll walk around the school grounds for some exercise.
later taters!

Tiffany123 09-16-2002 06:12 PM

I know what you mean Tig. I would love it if we were all in the same town, and could get together and walk and stuff. *sniffle*

But I will have to get over it. Ok, getting nervous about weigh in tonight. I almost HATE going in the evening. It kind of sucks. I am always lighter in the morning. Then I eat breakfast and lunch and retain water and feel fat and then go weigh in. Blech.

Weigh in at 7:00. Arggh.....
Tiffany ~ biting her nails

GeTtInG_ThErE2 09-16-2002 06:28 PM

Hi girls.:mad:
Im going crazy. im sooo fed up!
I told you about my roomate right? the girl that moved in with us becuase her parents like...disowned her and she got kicked out of her house and stuff? well she moved in wiht us...my dad DIDNT EVEN ASK if we wanted her to.....and im fed right up! Shes there when i get up in the morning..she follows me around ALL DAY at school, shes there after school.....Shes just ALWAYS THERE> and shes not even TRYING to make other friends. She just wants to be around ME ...ALL THE TIME.

And not only that.....but shes like....always around my dad too...i cant even talk to my dad alone anymore. and he treats her like GOLD and me and my sister are like.....i dont know. He just *****es about how much i NEVER clean up the house and stuff and if megan puts a friggin CUP in the garbage or something its like friggin queen elizabeth just walked through the front door.

Tonight they went into the city to get megan some school clothes...he was supposed to take my sister and megan and i was going to stay home and do homework and have the house to myself for the night....well....my dad just decides that my sister needs a birthday present RIGHT TONIGHT so she has to stay home. and now SHES mad at him..and megan didnt want to go shopping with just my dad cause thats ******ed.

even my friends are like..yeah megan is ALWAYS with your dad....and people are starting to say ******ed things....i mean...like megan looks like shes 20 and they keep saying things like...oh yeah its your dads new girlfriend and stuff.....and even when they are joking its not funny. and my moms boyfriend (who i cant stand) ALWYAS says things like that and i hate it.

This girl has caused SOOOO many problems..my dad like...doesnt even pay attention to me anymore......like....megan isnt even smart! She is take the stupid courses in high school....she is supposed to graduate this year but she wont because she got kicked out of school last year and the year before for smoking weed at school.....and my dad is so oblivious..he thinks she is just the nicest most innocent person ever. She is taking the easy grade 10 courses this year......and i mean....she cant even get into collage or anything with those courses...and im taking friggin honors courses and my dad pays more attention to her. frigg im mad.......

well sorry to ***** so much but im going to explode!
i gotta run...i gotta type some stuff out for Ryan that he needs me to send him....ill talk to you later.
luv
Kayla

Tiffany123 09-16-2002 06:40 PM

Wow Kayla, that sounds like you are in a bad situation. Are you able to sit down with you Dad and tell him how you feel? Tell her you have to speak privately to your dad and go for a ride or something. Tell him everything you told us, I bet he has no clue about how everyone feels. It was nice of him to take her in, but when it disrupts the whole family...that may be a huge problem.

You probably need to sit down with her and tell her that she is doing some things that are bothering you. She may not realize that following you around is ticking you off. She may just think that you are ALL THAT, like we do, and just want to bask in your presence! Tell her you are used to your space and she needs to respect that. And tell your dad, that he needs to treat her as he would treat anyone else in the family and to not walk on eggshells around her.

I wish you luck.
Tiff

huntress 09-17-2002 07:14 AM

Hi all!

Just have a minute and wanted to pop in, somebody messed with my alarm clock and I just realized that is is 6:00 instead of 5:00 and I'm seriously running late. I won't be around much for the next week, if at all.
Jello, take care of yourself. I will say a prayer for you.

LJ
225/195/150
Halloween Goal - 185

Tigerlily 09-17-2002 08:25 AM

What 'cha think, is 15 miles too far to drive for the gym? Thanks to Tiff, I'm exploring my options. :p

Jello 09-17-2002 08:57 AM

In here quick before the boss rolls in....

Thanks for all the advice guys! I knew I could count on you. :)

Dyan, I was on the Pill for years but stopped taking it when I went in to have my tubes tied ... and ended up short one ovary (plus tied tubes). I'm seriously considering asking dr. if I can go back on them. But don't they impede weight loss??? Always that issue....

Tiff, thanks for taking the time to research. I did the same thing but know that nothing will beat sitting down with my gyn.

Nurse, like I said, I know I have to go. But thanks for the information on too many tylenols, etc. I hadn't even thought of that!! :( As far as a "clean colon" goes, well, one of my many symptoms takes care of that for me. Let's just say it's like I drank the water in Mexico without the fun of vacationing there....

Um, Tiff, what's a "gym hootch"??? :?: Do I really wanna be one? Probably. :s:

Tig, you can be accountable to US!!! Report in after any exercise. Be honest. We don't judge. ... but some of us do give wedgies. BTW, I drive about 6 miles from work to the gym but then have to drive about 16-17 to get home. It's not so bad.

Kayla, maybe this new girl just follows you around because she really needs a friend? Maybe she's just really insecure. I know she's annoying you but she might not be doing it "on purpose". Maybe your dad is just going a little overboard trying to make her feel welcome. You'll notice I put in a lot of "maybes" there. Just proves I'm only guessing and possibly no help at all.

Huntress, we'll miss you! :(

Speaking of missing, where's Cafe?

Guess I'd better go now. Gyn's office opens at 9:30 and I want to be their first caller. Yes, I'm going to set up an appt. for when Aunt Flo finally packs her bags and gets the heck outta my life for another month. Oh wow, something to so look forward to.... :rolleyes:

Dyanm1 09-17-2002 09:27 AM

Good Morning Ladies,

Jello ~ They have so many new pills out there, I'm sure you can find one that won't impede on your weight loss. **** they even have a patch (no not for down there!:dizzy: , although that may stop some people from becoming pregnoids :lol: ). Like I said I was on it years ago, and the firstones, made me want to eat everything in sight, and my boobs grew. It's was almost as if I had pregnancy symptoms (weird), anyhoo, the doc gave me new ones, and I was groovy :flow1: .

Tiff ~ How'd weigh in go last night? Are ya high, from all the excitment or what?

Kayla ~ Take a deep breath and follow Tiff's advice.

Cafe~ How ya feelin? Are you more than tolerable today? I am definitely getting another flu shot this year. Got one last year when I was preggars w/ my baby. I did't get sick once and I was loving it! Now the year before when I preggars w/ DS I got sick as a dog!! Being 8 months pregnant, I had a fever of 102.8, so had to go to the hospital, where they kept me for hours. Gave me a shot in the hip to keep me from vomiting (which later on got infected), and while I was sweating to death, baby was fine, but when my fever started coming down, the baby wasn't doing too good. It was terrible. I NEVER want to go through that again. PLUS I lost my voice for almost 2 weeks. NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER again :D , I better calm down....hehe

Huntress ~ We'll miss ya

SEMO~ Where ya been hiding? How are the new hormones working out for ya?

Tig ~ Find any gyms? There's one 2 blocks from my house, but I have a hard time spending money on something I'm not sure I can do. I would have to go in the morning, and as is it, I have to be up at the butt crack of dawn to get to work by 6 a.m. So I'm holding off for awhile. BUT I have thoght about it :smug: .

Nurse ~ How's everythig in your neck of the woods?

Whew.....did I get everyone?

TTFN:df:

Tigerlily 09-17-2002 09:50 AM

:df: new toy!

Hey everyone!
I get up at 5am, but don't have to leave the house to go to work. Kids get on the bus at 7:15am and I pick the youngest up at 11am. On paper it looks like I should be able to get the kids out the door, go to the gym, then pick up the kidlen. :chin: I guess my next move is to find out how much it costs.:eek: If it's too much, I could always make it my Christmas/tax return gift.:D

The gym is called Fitness USA. They have different days for men and women. Getting up the nerve to show my face the first time would be the roughest part. I can just see Bambi in a thong thrilled to help me. :lemon:

Ok, maybe I skipped a step, I should talk to DH first....no, wait. Find out $info, get all the facts, then ambush DH.:s:

SEMO 09-17-2002 10:13 AM

Kayla, my sweet baby girl, WHAT A MESS! Okay, dear 'ol dad was trying to do a good thing and he deserves some credit for that. But you've got to be totally honest with him and tell him how you feel, if your sister is feeling upset about this situation, then she should join you when you talk to him. Make notes of the things that are really bothering you both and put them out on the table. Your dad needs to know what others are saying about the arrangement and what offends you about this set up. I think that there is some jealously involved (but hey I can't say that I wouldn't be jealous...I KNOW I WOULD) You also need to discuss this with the girl, girls her age sometimes think that flurting is fun and do not realize that it can get out of hand or how it looks to others especially daughters. Try to introduce her to other girls her age and maybe you'll get lucky and be able to lose your shadow. Being honest is the only way to go. It may hurt your dad's feelings but at least he will know your feelings and what he does after that is up to him. Hang in there sweetie, (((((huzs))))) and :chockiss: :chockiss:
I went to town last nite and got my prescription filled and GOOD thing because I was taking the wrong pill. My Dr gave me some samples and she said take one everyday and the other 14 days on and 14 days off. I was taking the 14 day one without the other, no wonder I started my . again.
Jello, glad that your going to see your Dr. and keep calling until you get in. Women have so many things that change in our bodies and we need to get checked when something isn't right or when we have questions.
Gotta get to work now.

Tiffany123 09-17-2002 10:52 AM

:df: Ooooohhh, it IS pretty, isn't it? I love it.

Well, bad news and good news. Bad news is...I went to weigh in last night, and according to their scale, I was down a 1/2 pound. Blah. So, I finished my day and woke up this morning and weighed on my scale. I am down 2 pounds total...

Last week on my scale it was 229 and this week it was 227. Good enough for me.

I will be back in a while, all of a sudden I am busy!

Back later!
T

Tigerlily 09-17-2002 10:58 AM

Hey Tiff, WooHOO! Happy Dance for Tiff!
How did the meeting go? :cb:

Dyanm1 09-17-2002 11:29 AM

WAY TO GO GGGRRRLLL :cb: :cb: !!

What cha gonna do when ya hit your mini goal with only 8 pounds to go?!

SEMO 09-17-2002 11:42 AM

WooHoo Tiff!! :cb: :cb: we're doing the dance.

:df: We called these snake doctors when I was a kid, they scared me because I thought that there would surely be a snake near by.

DNW 09-17-2002 11:43 AM

Hi Everybody!!

Jello: I hope I wasn't overbearing about the doctor...and I know one thing though....you will go soon since you had a close call already...i trust your judgement but please don't wait too long....

And Tiff...what is a gym hootch??

Kayla...most probably the new girl living with you is very depressed because no one wants to be disowned by their parent(s), it sounds like maybe you haven't gotten the whole story from her, and it also sounds like she thinks your the next thing to sliced bread...maybe if you spent more tim with her she'd spend less time with your father....find out what she is really feeling...she is probably so starved for your attention that she is taking the next best thing...your dad...also if her family was really creepy (like icky creepy)maybe she finds your family normal and wants to be near you all.

Tiffany123 09-17-2002 12:25 PM

Actually, I was a little ticked off at the meeting. It starts at 7:00, I got there at 6:30 to weigh and sit down. People were still coming in at 7:00, she was still weighing them and finally at 10 after, she came out, and decided to scrap the regular meeting and do a review of the rules because we had so many new people. So, she was explaining the slide rule thing, and going over how much water to drink, etc. So, I didn't pick up anything interesting, EXCEPT...your body can't digest more than 600 mg of Calcium at a time, so if you take two 500 mg tablets, one will basically be flushed out.

So, that was interesting. But other than that, I sat there and waited for a meeting that I felt was a jip. People need to get there in time to sign in and be weighed, so as to not cause the meeting to start late for everyone else.

I'm still sick and grouchy as heck. My throat is KILLING me. Just on the one side. When I swallow over there, it feels like there is a cockle-burr caught in the right side. Weird. I have been taking Day-Quil and it helps a sore throat, but doesn't last for more than an hour or two...and the sore throat lozenges barely touch it. I am in search of something that will numb up this throat. Don't even mention the Cloraseptic spray. I hate it and only get it on my tongue anyway. And it doesn't seem to help.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh Huntress, where oh where are you going? We'll miss ya!

Oh SEMO...still waiting for my raise. LOL...

Jo, we should ALL aspire to being Gym Hootches! I wanna be like Joanie Lauer, (China, the wrestler!!) I wanna have some muscles, and be toned and have 2% body fat. LOL....

Well, another day is upon me. I have been eating so great!! Just not exercising and I need to get busy. The step tapes really did great for me, cause you do the arms and the legs and it works your butt, and then usually there is an ab section at the end...but I seem to be sapped for energy. I started taking the multi-vitamin about a week ago, and I am hoping for some increased energy, but so far, it hasn't happened. Anyone know how long it takes to get your levels up? Like Iron, etc? Is it instant or does it take time?

Well, off to get some lunch. I want a big old salad today. I think.

Tiff

Tigerlily 09-17-2002 12:37 PM

cockle-burr ! I thought we only had those in my neck of the woods! Speaking of my neck of the woods, and revealing what a country bumpkin I really am....I bought a new CD. Toby Keith, Unleashed. I haven't bought a new CD forever. He has a song called "who's your daddy". I had it all keyed up and ready to play that song when DH got in the car this morning. :D Can't wait for him to get home and burn me a copy for the house. :o

Tiff, I feel ripped off your meeting sucked too. I wanted some scoop!

On track for eats today...but then it isn't even lunch yet.
Gotta take the little girl I'm watching to school. I truly am a taxi driver.

Tiffany123 09-17-2002 01:30 PM

Ok, I lost our thread for a minute. LOL, I came back from lunch and pulled up the site and Diet Plans was GONE. I had to do some hunting.

But here I am.

Yeah, Tig...the meeting was supposed to about loving the PROCESS of losing weight. Getting comfortable about the whole, long road to get there and instead I learned about my slide ruler again. :mad:

Anywho...I like Toby Keith. He looks like someone you would see in a local bar. I liked "How do you like me now?" cause it had such a great attitude!

Well, I went to Fridays with a friend for lunch and I had a plain baked potato with just tons of pepper and a side salad with no croutons (basically just lettuce, tomato, a little carrot and some radishes, and some 1000 Island on the side. There wasn't much dressing there, let me tell you, but I stretched it. So, I did ok for lunch I guess. Even with the regular dressing.

Well, to answer the earlier question..."What is a gym hootch?"

A gym hootch is one of those spandex clad babes that are over in the corner doing squats that make men look like pansies and she has a perfect bod and she is ALWAYS at the gym. People know her name and ask her opinion on exercise...

*sigh*

I can dream.
Tiffany

Dyanm1 09-17-2002 01:43 PM

Tiff you are such a riot!

What is a slide rule anyway? Call me crazy, but I've never heard of this term.

Dyanm1 09-17-2002 01:51 PM

Oh yeah, I was gonna mention something......:chin:

Okay so on the 100 club, one of the ladies joined some diet place, which is all fine and good, but today she said she lost 19.5 pounds in a week :yikes: :yikes: , with proper diet and a dieurtic (?) they gave her. I'm happy for her, but at the same time, am thinking this can NOT be good. So I'm trying to be supportive and keeping my big yap shut :ziplip: :tape: :tied: :foot: . So I thought I would come here and say what I REALLY thought.

I'm thinking she's setting herself up for long term failure. That is just way too much weight to lose in 7 days. That's almost 3 pounds A DAY!! Of course she's thrilled, as would I.....but in the long run.....

Anyway, thanks for letting me speak my mind. Do you guys think I'm wrong in feeling this way? Like I said, I didn't say anything to "her", but am really hoping that it doesn't end up biting her in the hind parts. I'm hoping that this will be the kick in the butt that she needed, and that she will go back to what works in the long run. Okay I'm jumping off now :soap:

Tiffany123 09-17-2002 01:53 PM

The slide ruler is the tool that WW uses to figure out the points in foods. You line up the calories and fiber and look at the total fat and then it will tell you the points per serving. Actually, it is called a "points finder", but I call it a slidey thing, cause it slides up and down. You could probably see one on Ebay if you search for WW points finder.

Wonder if everyone else will find us, we are kind of hidden now.

Tiff

Jello 09-17-2002 02:11 PM

Whew! I got lost too!!! Big joke on Jo disappearing like that! :mad: Humph!

Just kiddin'! I guess 3FC decided we just needed more space for all our "stuff". (George Carlin says if it's yours, it's stuff and if it's someone else's it's s**t.)

Anyhoo...

Uh Tiff. Do those gym hootches have any brains to speak of? Sadly, sometimes the muscles increase and the IQ decreases. Which reminds me of an old WW commercial showing this short, bald, sorta heavy set guy who announces his reason for wanting to lose weight is so that people can "love me for my body and not just my mind". :lol: It was cute!

Well, guess you had to be there..... :rolleyes:

BTW Tiff, tea with lots of honey. Not great for the diet but helps the sore throat, I've found. Normally, I don't like honey but that's one time I use it. Hope you feel better. Then you can join us all in our happy :jig: dance for you! I'm sorry about what happened at the WW meeting. Maybe it was just a one-time thing because there were a bunch of newbies?? If it happens again and again, you might want to try another meeting? Or ask the leader if there's anything she can do to change it. One thing I found when I was going to meetings is that WW really wants its members to be happy and keep coming (and paying). You can even call the main 800 number with any complaints if it comes to that.

Nurse, of course you weren't overbearing!! And I knew you were right. Gotta sit down with the dr. That's why he makes the big bucks after all, right?

Speaking of that, I scheduled an appt. for next Wednesday morning. I could have gotten in sooner but figured I might as well wait for Aunt Flo to get on her bus and hit the road. I told the receptionist that I wanted to have some extra time to talk with the dr. about all my troubles. Let's just see what he has to say.

Meanwhile, I think Flo knows that I'm trying to kill her. She's currently kicking me in the stomach and playing my head like a drum. But she will NOT keep me from going to the gym tonight! So there! :s: Gotta keep up with my "hootchiness" training....

DNW 09-17-2002 02:15 PM

Dear Tiffany, Dyanm1, Semo, Tigerlily, Semo, and Jello:

I very, very much want to be a "Gym Hootch", maybe that can be a new forum name for us? I loveChina..except she kinda got screwed on the voice a bit...it just doesn't match up with the rest of her...but she is my idol. I am too old for the spandex though (almost 54)

I lost 2 1/2 lbs. finally and i am sore from going to the gym and lifting, and walking in the cold and dark in the morning(ok i;m being a bit dramatic here...it isn't dark yet in nj at 7:15 AM in the morning yet...but it's only a matter of time)

I have to keep telling you all how much you all inspire me to keep on keepin on...what a gift this site is

Regarding the so-so WW meeting...that's why i don't go anymore...meetings go really expensive in no. j at $12 per week, and i wasn't get enough information. Overeaters Anonymous is much cheaper, just a donation, but you have to find the right group...sometimes (at least where i live) people have mental health issues too....and i am not real comfortable with that.

Love you all and i haven't even met cha' yet!!

Dyanm1 09-17-2002 02:23 PM

Nursey~ Poo :D ,

I am so glad that you find us inspirational :angel: , I got the warm and fuzzies. But don't forget we're all in this together. You too are an inspriation. I think we all are in our own way, and by just coming to this sight shows how commited we can be. I found this site in June of this year, and look at me go! I KNOW I wouldn't have made it this far without it or you lovely ladies. Oh yeah, side note: I was talking to my sister last night on the phone and she just wanted to to tell me she was so proud of me for starting this journey and staying with it for this long :smug: . Ya gotta love her! She had made my night!

GROUPHUG :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: !

Thanks for the slide/point finder info.....I can be a little slow.

SEMO 09-17-2002 02:47 PM

Oh My Goodness, I was about to panic, thought they had deleted us. Whew.........

So D.Nurse, curious about the weight lifting, how much weight are you starting out with? I had read a post by MrsJim and she was avid about lifting as heavy as possible. What are they recommending for you? I'm such a wimp, my arms feel like jello and I think I'm doing good with five pound weights. :lol: Let's just say that Gym Hotchies have no brains... at least they don't until we become Gym Hootchie Cootchies then they will be very smart...We're all going to look good in spandex one day.

We have cockle burrs too, along with ticks, mosquitoes, chiggers, fleas, and flies. We have it all.

19.5 pounds in one week, how can that be possible? And I agree, that it couldn't be healthy.

Slide ruler...sounds like too much work for me, but then that's probably why I'm where I am now. :o

Tigerlily 09-17-2002 03:31 PM

Speaking of tea....
a friend told me to put a little hershey's syrup in peppermint tea. could it be? could it taste like a peppermint patty? :chin: i'll be trying it when the weather get chilly.

Tiffany123 09-17-2002 03:36 PM

http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm

Site above is an easy place to check your BMI. When I started this diet, my BMI was 37.0. Today it is 31.7, so I am moving down.

Nice to see numbers that move DOWN instead of up. Especially before Thansgiving and Christmas. I am a candy maker for the Holidays, and I give fudge and divinity, etc for gifts...and I tell you what, after doing that for a couple of days, the mere smell of it makes you want to barf. So, I am thinking that I will still be doing that and shouldn't have a problem eating it all...I think I am at a place in my head, where I want what is best for me. I want to take care of my body and do nice things for myself. I have never in my life, honestly cared about myself. Now, it is nice to realize that I like myself. Even fat, I like myself, and want to have the best body I can.

It's the only one I will ever have, and I hate that I have abused it like this. If it were a car, it would have been LONG traded in.

Anyway, off on another tangent there. Glad to see everyone found us again!

Talk with you all later,
Tiff

DNW 09-17-2002 03:52 PM

Semo:

Maybe very heavy weights work for for Mrs. Jim, but she is also in mid-30's and has been doing this for a while.

As a healthy rule you start out with lower weights and work your way up. Generally when you do sets of repititions, the last rep should be a killer (in other words you feel like you can't do one more). Sets are usually 8-10 reps or 10-15 reps. When the current weight you are lifting is no longer a killer on the last repetition then you are ready to up to the next level which is generally 8 lb weights after the 5's. This should take about a month before it gets easy and remember only lift every other day. You need the day after the session to let your muscles recover and build tissue. You are in effect making microscopic injuries to your muscles and they repair themselves by producing more cells and therefore increasing the muscle size.

I get the following magazines: Shape, Fitness, and Muscle & Fitness for Her, every month and also swear by Karen Ande's book, "A Woman's Book of Strength". She tells her story and also gives very detailed and informative information on all the different lifts along with great pictures of how to do each move.

Note: If you lift moderate wieghts and do fadter repitions you will and burn fat, and gain muscle. If you lift very heavy weights you will increase your muscle size greatly over tiem. I don't think you are aiming for this....generally only serious body builders do this and if you look at the latest pics of Mrs. Jim it seems to me she is getting a little too muscular, but that's just me talking.

Most important never lift on an empty stomach and weight 1 hour or after eating. You also need a lot more protein when you lift for energy and to help you rmuscles develop.

Good Luck!!

DNW 09-17-2002 03:55 PM

Corrected my spelling, boy iwsh this thng had a spell check..it will make more sense now.

Quote:

Originally posted by deadnursewife
Semo:

Maybe very heavy weights work for for Mrs. Jim, but she is also in mid-30's and has been doing this for a while.

As a healthy rule you start out with lower weights and work your way up. Generally when you do sets of repititions, the last rep should be a killer (in other words you feel like you can't do one more). Sets are usually 8-10 reps or 10-15 reps. When the current weight you are lifting is no longer a killer on the last repetition then you are ready to up to the next level which is generally 8 lb weights after the 5's. This should take about a month before it gets easy and remember only lift every other day. You need the day after the session to let your muscles recover and build tissue. You are in effect making microscopic injuries to your muscles and they repair themselves by producing more cells and therefore increasing the muscle size.

I get the following magazines: Shape, Fitness, and Muscle & Fitness for Her, every month and also swear by Karen Ande's book, "A Woman's Book of Strength". She tells her story and also gives very detailed and informative information on all the different lifts along with great pictures of how to do each move.

Note: If you lift moderate wieghts and do faster repititions you will and burn fat, and gain muscle. If you lift very heavy weights you will increase your muscle size greatly over time. I don't think you are aiming for this....generally only serious body builders do this and if you look at the latest pics of Mrs. Jim it seems to me she is getting a little too muscular, but that's just me talking.

Most important never lift on an empty stomach and wait 1 hour or after eating. You also need a lot more protein when you lift for energy and to help you rmuscles develop.

Good Luck!!

:strong:

Cafe976 09-17-2002 03:59 PM

Hi !

I'm hanging in there - but I am still a little under the weather so a quick post per day is about where I'm at. (I did post yesterday, n'est ce pas?) Plus, at work... you know.

Kayla, Jello - you both have my support for different reasons! I think everything to say has already been said but I'm with you in spirit...

Dyan - 19.5? :eek:

On the other hand, you did say the person was on the 100-to-lose thread, and many who are overweight to that extent DO suffer from edema-type issues... AND you said she was on a diuretic (medication), so perhaps losing that much fluid wasn't unhealthy for her at all, and when assisted with medicine, it just happened???

I like your wait and see approach. At least this site is a healthy place where it is unlikely that even new people reading will assume they can lose that much fat in a week. You did good to vent in another forum. :)

Too tired to shout to everyone.

Germy kisses~

MrsJim 09-17-2002 04:00 PM

TOO muscular???

Excuse me...TOO muscular??? (sorry to butt in, but I saw my name being mentioned).

I don't think so...Remember, that women can only go so far since we have very little testosterone... Mistress Krista says it FAR better than I can... ( http://www.stumptuous.com/gymlies.html )

Quote:

LIE: Weight training will make you huge and masculine.

Probably the worst lie ever. People look at women bodybuilders and say, "Ohmigawd, they're huge and if I lift anything heavy I'll look like that too." Nope. In general, women are not able to build monstrous muscle mass in the same manner as men, due to a number of physiological factors. It's a rare woman that can become a competitive bodybuilder, and to get that big she has to combine genetics, extensive long-term training, strict diet, and supplementation (legal or otherwise).

If you enjoy watching bodybuilding, have a look at the tested (natural, i.e. steroid free) shows versus the untested (anything goes) shows. You will notice a great difference in the builds of the women onstage. A natural female bodybuilder is lean, almost wiry, and certainly not the mythical monsters whom exercising women fear resembling (have a look at my reader letters page to see some examples). Also, women bodybuilders do not normally have the low levels of bodyfat that they do while in competition. Low bodyfat makes muscles stand out, and it changes the contours of the face, making jawlines and cheekbones prominent, which contributes to a rather unnatural look. Bodybuilders about to go on stage for a competition look quite odd, actually, due to dehydration, extremely low bodyfat, and deep tans. During the offseason, competitors' bodyfat is higher, and in clothing, most wouldn't stand out as unusual in any way.

The average woman (that's you) cannot achieve a masculine monster look simply through strength training. You're not going to wake up after a workout and be huge. You don't believe me? OK, then, try to get huge. Just try. And see how far you get.
My current split:

Day 1 - Chest/quads
Day 2 - Shoulders/abs/calves
Day 3- Back/hamstrings
Day 4 - rest
Day 5 - Biceps/triceps
Day 6 - rest

And "heavy weights" depends on your definition of "heavy". Right now for example, my dumbbell shoulder press max is 8 reps with 22.5 pound dumbbells - the guys in my gym press at LEAST twice that on average. Dumbbell concentration bicep curls - 10 reps at 17.5 pounds (again, the guys at my gym usually use the 30-45 pound dumbbell ranges). All I'm saying is that you start where YOUR max is. For some people that would be 5 pound dumbbells - others, 10 -20 or more. But to make progress, once the weight gets too light, you MUST increase it - otherwise you won't make progress. Muscle adapts very quickly - especially for folks who are just starting out.

BTW I will be 40 on November 10th. :)