General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/194/140

Height: 5'7

Default What do you do with the bad food in the house

What do you do with the bad food in your house? I've just started and for the most part all of the bad stuff is gone except for a few items. For example I still have a frozen pie crust. I was thinking about using to make a victory dinner like beef wellington after I lose 30 lbs but I'm not sure it's a good idea. Should I just though it out or do I have the right to have a naughty dinner after I've reached a mini goal.
Selca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 242/201/155

Height: 5'9"

Pie crust can be used for a low fat quiche with lots of veggies and egg whites. Use low cal cheese in moderation, 1% milk, and you have a great breakfast for a week. Done right you could have a 300 calorie breakfast ready to eat so you aren't grabbing junk.
Hades Handmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/152/120

Height: 5'6"

i dont like using food rewards, i personally feel like it's a bad system. i think it would be rather kind of you to bake a pie for your neighbor, the place you work, etc. that's what i've done. =)
Lizzie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #4  

I like the term food rewards. It makes it seem a bit more dangerous for me and I will be more reluctant to do it. Thanks for you're input.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190-200?/?/130

Height: 5'5"

I didnt throw food out.. I just cant see waste. I just simply told my BF that I wanted to eat better, so He'd quit buying the junk food I like. As bad junk food gets used up, its just simply not replenished.
fighting hungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #6  

There are lots of food banks for people in need. See if you can find one near you that takes donations. You can give away the foods you won't be eating anymore, and add a few cans of good stuff too..like tuna, or peanut butter and jelly.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 156/156/126

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
There are lots of food banks for people in need. See if you can find one near you that takes donations. You can give away the foods you won't be eating anymore, and add a few cans of good stuff too..like tuna, or peanut butter and jelly.
Ellen: Excellent idea. With so much hunger and food banks not able to keep up, it would be sad to toss good food away that is still fresh and hasn't expired. I'd check with my local food bank to see if they accept frozen foods, however.

Selca: When I was in my weight loss phase last year, I continued to make my husband apple pies, but didn't have any. He loves them. I use cortland apples and only add a mixture of 2 tablespoon of sugar, 1 tablespoon flour and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Now in maintenance, I enjoy a small slice. I have even made them without sugar.

You can always make something with that pie crust and eat only the filling.
Theresa

Last edited by Theresa; 02-07-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #8  

Thanks everyone! What great ideas. That's why I love this website and all of you!
Old 02-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #9  
mom2cole

For me I toss it if it is bad for you and opened. If unopened donate. If you have others in the house who aren't dieting and still eating the bad food, maybe put it in a cupboard you don't use so you won't be tempted. I often throw junk food on the top shelf of my pantry because I can't see it or reach it without a stool. I had to clean it out the other day because I forgot what was up there.
mom2cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #10  
Eat Petite!

S/C/G: 307/253/157

Height: 5' 6"

I always got rid of the food when on a diet, but this time around, I am not throwing anything away. I am working on dealing with food as a it is in reality, ALWAYS there and available. But this is just where I am at at this point in life, it would never have worked in the past when I felt so vulnerable to bingeing.

I like the idea of donating food. I also like the idea of baking a pie for some one else. I also agree on not using food as a reward for dieting well. Seems contradictory in my old ears. lol. I'd rather have a new outift to dance in!
three herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 205/205/145

Height: 5'6"

I'm not sure what beef wellington is- can you tell me please?
Crystalx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cole View Post
For me I toss it if it is bad for you and opened. If unopened donate. If you have others in the house who aren't dieting and still eating the bad food, maybe put it in a cupboard you don't use so you won't be tempted. I often throw junk food on the top shelf of my pantry because I can't see it or reach it without a stool. I had to clean it out the other day because I forgot what was up there.
I do keep foods around for my underweight 5 year old that are things that I don't want to eat. While I do have to go into the cabinet to get them for him, I still find that I do MUCH better when they aren't somewhere I look regularly. Definitely "out of sight, out of mind" for me!

I also try to buy things for him that I don't like, so I'm not tempted at all, even if I do look at them.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:01 PM   #13  
In it to win it.

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 67"

Make a pie, donate to a homeless shelter or a friend. I make things for my choir.
alicat17 is offline   Reply With Quote