General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 159/159/145

Height: 5' 1"

NurseDee: Congrats on the 5.5 Pounds!! That is so awesome!! And as for the Crawfish Ettoufee, it was in the freezer from the 2009 Crawfish Season. Which thankfully is fast approaching here!! So exciting, Having crawfish boils with all our friends is one of my favorite pastimes and boiled crawfish is healthy and so so yummy!!! My hubby is the cook! I can try to get his recipe for you.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #62  

NurseDee- Congrats on you weight loss 5.5 LBS that is great. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #63  

Just finished dinner. It was sure good.

NurseDee- Congrads on the 5.5 thats a big loss. You're doing so good.

scrappinhut- Oh boy those boils sound like fun and a pretty healthy way to eat.

Mercee- Hi gal....
Old 01-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #64  
Determined Newbie

S/C/G: 383/321.4/150

Height: 5'6"

Scrappinhut - I've loved Cajun ever since Justin Wilson. I don't know if we can even get crawfish here in NY. Do you think shrimp would come close? Do you do a roux with that, and is there a SB friendly way to handle that?

We had to do a lot of shopping tonight so we opted for Subway for dinner so that we wouldn't gorge when we got home late. I got a roast beef and cheddar salad with chipotle dressing, no croutons. The chipotele only had 1g of carbs and 0g sugars - even though it was pretty high in fat. Do you think that was an OK way to go? I'm still getting used to this WOE. I also had a sweet tooth. At least I didn't get a 3 Musketeers bar, but I did get an Atkins bar (180 calories, 19g carbs, 8g fiber, 1g sugars - 9g sugar alcohols) and ended up eating a second bar, a Met-Rx Protein Plus bar, 19g carbs, 1g fiber, 1g sugars, 16g sugar alcohols. I know that was not a good choice, but I tried to avoid greater sins, IYKWIM. I'm trying to read every label and pick the one with the lowest sugars and hopefully a decent amount of fiber. I guess I'll have to see how it all affected my blood sugar in the morning. Do any of you eat low carb/low sugar bars, and in your opinion, is it suitable for SB WOE? Overall my calorie count was decent today; I could have eaten far more veggies and some fruit. I ate mostly meats and cheeses until I got to the salad at Subway - and even then it had meat and cheese in it! Guess it must be the weather...!

Toni, you're making me want to make up a big pot of soup. My trouble is I always want to bake homemade bread and slather it with butter. Do you have anything in its place, or just stick with the bowl of soup? I need retraining.

It's down to 13 degrees right now - I think a nice down comforter snuggled up with my kids sounds good right about now.!! Take care, everybody.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:30 AM   #65  

NurseDee: Just a heads up! I know everyone is different but I was steadily losing weight until I started eating the Atkins bars. I realized about a month later that I was frustrated b/c I stopped losing weight for what I thought was no reason. Come to find out that my system could not process the sugar alcohols at all and when I stopped eating them I started losing again.

I have a major sweet tooth. I love to make sugar free jello and sometimes I put a scoop of sugar free whip cream on top. But I try not to eat it more than a couple times a week.

I don't know if this helps or not.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:44 AM   #66  

Just checking to see it my weight lose tracker is working!
Old 01-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #67  

I'm so mad at myself I had to much wine last night. Ate good but ruined my good work. I have got to get passed this. Tonight is chicken breasts, leftover rice and something green. LOL...

NurseDee- Stay warm. Its 27 here today and the sun is out.

scrappinhut-The jello sounds good. My DH was asking about it the other day.

Well think I'll take a little nap.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #68  
Determined Newbie

Scrappinhut - absolutely thanks for the heads up! I appreciate the warning. I don't think I'll be buying more of these after this box. Definite trigger food! Serious abuse potential here. I think they put heroin in them. Your tracker looks great!

Toni, don't beat yourself up too much about that wine. I'll bet it did little if any damage. Your food choices are so great. Hang in there and keep up the great work.

Now I need to hide the Atkins box. Thank goodness there were only 5 in there.

I think I'm going to make Crystle's cabbage dish tonight. Been thinking about it all day! It was 6 degrees this morning. It's warmed up to 22. A heat wave!

Take care, everyone.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Good morning ladies, it was a crazy weekend. my GS started projectile vomiting Friday night and they could not get him to stop so they took off for the emergency room. Finally got it under control and then Sat he started with a fever and diarreha. He is better but still has the diarreha and he looks pitiful. Hope no one else gets its. I'm feeling a little quesey this morning, but it comes and goes. I am proud of my eating this weekend. I did well and kept within my calories. I did have wine Sat & Sund, but stopped at 2 glasses. My eating was not perfect, but portions were good and overall it was good. I was surprised about a few things. DH suggested Diary Queen for breakfast Sundaya s we were going to the grocery after church. Well I knew that would end up being bisquits and gravy so I told him to go to Panera. I got the yogurt and fruit and half of a ww bagel. The yogurt was 310 calores. I could have had a sandwich with egg, ham and cheese for only 360 calories. Sat I ate morning start chicken nugets which are soy and one spinach bite (also Morning Star) and I had somehummas and some ww pita hips. My DH had a frozen pizza. The pizza was 350 calories for half a pizza and my lunch was way over 400. I guess the fat content was lower (I hope) and I know it was better for me, but man I was surprised.

Crystle, Sorry you have the innconvenience of frozen pipes. At leastyou have water handy. I don't think those saltines will hurt you. What's chili w/o them? Portion control is the key.

Toni, sorry you did not get to go our for your anniversary. Happy Anniversary. How many years? Try to stay warm. It is supposed to go up in the 40's Wed and the rest of the week. Glad your eating has been good. Try setting a limit on your wine. One glass or 2 and know that is all you can have. Maybe that will work.

Mercee, shoveling snow is great exercise. You are doing so great.

Scrappinhut, Youa re right, we are not perfect and things happen. But getting right back on track is the answer. I normally blow it up to about a week after I mess up. Good for you. What movie did you see?

Nursedee, I didn't use a lot of Splenda mainly on my cereal and sometimes in my tea. I couldn't find it at my grocery so I bought something I think is called Purvia. Not for sure, but I have not tried it yet. Congrats on the 5 lbs loss. That is wonderful. Glad you have found what works for you. I sometimes eat the Kelloggs Fiber Plus Antioxidants bars. They only have 7 grams of sugars. I don;t eat them often, but in a pinch,

I have to get my foot exrayed today. I bet it is still not healed 100%. I am gong to be so mad. I just want to wear normal shoes again. Have a great day.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #70  

Morning ladies:

Remember this is a lifestyle change and sometimes we will slip up. but the key is for all of us to keep going. Remember better health is our main concern.

I had a good weekend and I stayed OP. It is still cold here in Chicago(what's new) and I'm just glad it is not snowing. I have a busy day at work but at least I have dinner planned. Tonight I'm making chicken breast, brown rice and green beans. I hope everyone has a great day. I will try to get back later.

I really find myself being accountable since posting here again.

Last edited by Mercee; 01-11-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #71  

Solly- I pray you GS will get better soon. Kids can look so pitiful when they are sick. I hope your x-ray shows healing in your foot.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #72  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Good Morning

I love starting my day with you all. It is such a blessing to have someone to share this journey with. Eating was okay this weekend. I was a bit off yesterday but not calorie wise. We went to my mom's because we were still without water and in much need a warm bath. Her house is a minefield of goodies. Dinner was a burger no bun so I do okay there.

We still don't have water but I believe the guys should have all the pipes fixed today and we should be back up and running.

Today's tip really hits home for me:
Write Your Diet Wrongs: Here's How
Write exercise into your daily planner. Make an appointment with yourself. It's far too easy to forego exercise in favor of a night on the couch. Treat your workout as you would a business meeting or a visit to the doctor. Carve out a time for when you plan on exercising and stick to it. You wouldn't cancel out on an important get-together -- so why not treat a commitment to your health with the same respect?

Toni...hang in there. Too much wine one day you just watch what you eat very carefully for the next few days. No harm no foul. This is your year to shine. Remember it is the overall picture not one day or even on moment. When we look at one thing it can distract us. ((hugzz))

Scrappinhut...all this talk of crayfish and eutoufee reminds me of good times. My mama is cajun and we have family in Lake Charles and other parts of Louisiana. I hope to pass that part of my heritage to my children. Just a few minor changes and the food is legal. My very favorite is shrimp creole. My mom and I fight in a fun way over whose is best. Of course mine is..LOL And my children swear they can tell our gumbo apart even though she taught me how to make it. My heart is so full this morning thinking of these special times.

Mercee...I totally agree. It has to be the health. After battling eating disorders off and on most of life it is about time to just be healthy. I want to have good later years in my life so that is my ultimate goal about eating and moving better.

NurseDee...thanks for your kind words. If you try the cabbage I hope you like it as much as we do. Because we had five kiddos I learned a lot of tricks for cooking favorites in a slightly different way to make it go farther and prep time to be easier. I've heard the bars can trip up weight loss. And if you eat too many sweets even legal ones it can sometimes make it harder to stay legal because you still battle cravings. My sweet stompers are a cup of coffee with splenda or a sugar free hot cocoa. If the weather is warmer I also like strawberry smoothies. Worse case scenario I will indulge in some sf chocolate. Sometimes just a small bite will stop the craving. I like to keep it frozen so I really have to think about it before I go and grab a bite. Sometimes that is enough of a deterrent that the craving will pass before I cave in.

Solly...I am so sorry to hear about your grand son. I know it is heart breaking when they aren't feeling well. Little man has a runny nose that turned to a cough and then to wheezing. He had to have breathing treatments over the weekend. But he is doing fine. Just hard on his moma. She had hoped nursing would keep him from getting sick. Like the doctor told her. Just imagine if you weren't nursing. It's hard to believe he is almost three months old. You eating sounds really good. I think it is better to have a few extra calories of the right foods than less calories for food that isn't as beneficial. A good example is guacamole. A lot of people pass on it because of the calories but the avocado is so nutritious.

Zach needs to start his lesson so I guess I'd better get off of here and share the computer.

Hope ya'll have a blessed awesome day. I'll sneak back on later.

God bless,
Crystle
Old 01-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #73  
Determined Newbie

Good morning, Ladies!

Good to see everybody here! I hope you're all having a great OP day.

Crystle, sorry to hear that you're still in the deep freeze. I had to trickle the water last night because it was the second night in a row where we dipped below 10 degrees. It's usually the second day that the well starts to freeze up. So far, the water's still runnin'. You have 5 littles? God bless you!! He only sent us two, but I'm so grateful for them both. I'd have loved to have more. My older daughter's godmother just had her 14th. She was expecting him when they went to their oldest son's wedding. Now the son and his wife are expecting so her son and her grandson will be the same age - Every one of them is industrious, working, accomplished and homeschooled. She is my inspiration. Do you HS, too? We do. We had the cabbage thing last night and MY GOSH IT WAS AWESOME!!!! It is gone. Even my daughter, who is vegetable-shy and hates cabbage raved about it. PLEASE keep these recipes coming. They're like a breath of fresh air in this house!

Solly, you made great food choices! That wasn't easy, especially when you figured out the calories. But you know that pizza crust has a high GI and would have done a great store-everything-to-fat trick if you had eaten it. Great accomplishment! Please let us know how your x-ray comes out. I know what you mean about the shoes. I was in a cast for about a year when I was young and fetching and it killed me to have to wear "sensible shoes". Now I wear ss's all the time. The days of suede high heels are looooooooooong gone. Hope everything is mending well. I, too, am sorry to hear about your GS. Even though I'm a nurse I get almost panic-stricken when one of mine gets sick. I would give anything to take their places. Fortunately, since they've been supplementing with Vitamin D they haven't been sick in years. I'm sure schooling them at home helps a lot, too. That in itself is worth the price of admission!

Mercee, you're doing so great! Being OP all weekend is no mean feat! Planning ahead is 9/10 of the battle. You're inspiring me.

I should have read all of these posts before I polished off the Atkins bars. - Oh well, the wicked witch is dead and they're all gone. Fortunately, my blood sugars are still doing well so perhaps I didn't do too much damage. I have some leftover roast pork tenderloin on the agenda for tonight. Any of you chefs have ideas of what I can do with it? So far all I can think of is pork and 3-bean chili. It's pretty good, but I wouldn't mind some additional inspiration. I'm having fun trying all of these new food ideas!

Have a great day, everybody, and keep strong!

Dee
Old 01-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #74  

Hello everyone. Getting ready to go make oatmeal. We've been having it allot lately. I got burnt out on eggs for some reason so am staying away from them for awhile except boiled eggs. Think I'll make some of those today for a snack. I've got to think of something for dinner. We need to grocery shop, I'm running out of everything. And I do want to try Crystals cabbage dish. Its so nice everyone is posting so well. It makes it so joyful to come here. Its such a happy time our son is home in Texas after his tour in Iraq. I thank God he's safe and pray for all the other soldiers.

Solly- I'm so sorry about your GS. Hope he is getting better each day. Thats so scary. DH and I have been married 22 years. Yes I don't know why I drank more than 2 glasses of wine. I'll really watch that from now on. Sounds like you're doing really well with your eating. It sounds so sensible and doable.

Crystle- Hope you get your pipes fixed today and have some good water pouring through those pipes. We're finally a little warmer today and suppose to be even warmer tomorrow. You're doing so well on your eating and yes I agree this is our year. I'm pleased with how the eating is going. I need to get in the freezer and get something out for dinner. We've been trying brown rice and love it.

Mercee- We had the same thing last night you're making tonight. The chicken breast, brown rice. Hope it turns out good.

NurseDee- You're such an inspiration. I love your posts. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #75  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Now don't everyone lose their breath all at once!! BOB'S HERE!!

It's cold here...snowed day before yesterday...YES I SAID SNOW!!! It was 23 degrees this morning when I got up. It's been this way for over a week now. I hate to see my electric bill next month!

Still not working, but that's ok for now. Kate is doing really well. It was touch and go there for a while, but she's bouncing back to her old self and that's a good thing. I'm beginning to think we've been around each other for too long and we're getting on each others nerves.

Eating is horrible...I feel like the Good Year Blimp. I'll be working on that this year too. It's time to put the fat behind. Hopefully, I can get back in to the habit of getting on here and using your support daily!

I'll be back a little later.

BOB
Closed Thread