General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 159/159/145

Height: 5' 1"

Long Day!! I thought working out and getting in shape was supposed to make you feel better. But I have been in pain all day. My legs are killing me! And the worst part is I hardly did anything.

NurseDee: I hope you get everything straight soon. I know how discouriging these road blocks can be.

CountryMom4Him: Great Job on staying away from the snack at your moms & daughters!!

Everyone's recipes sound so interesting. Do ya'll have a place that ya'll post them?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

"Before a meal, slowly, piece by piece, eat a sliced apple or an orange so you're not starving when you sit down to eat..."

I got this tip from Never Say Diet this morning and thought it was a good one to pass along. Thanks to Crystle who started with "tips" I think anytime anyone has something that will help us, it is worth posting.

Luckily I got my shot and it has helped some. My arms did not go numb last night and my hands were not as bad. They are still numb this morning but not to the point I feel like they are exploxind. It is hard to type with my right hand, as I have no feeling in my finger tips. I'm hoping it improves in the next day or so.

We had baked cod & brown rice along with a salad last night and it was sure good. I even passed on the tarter sauce. Scale was up yesterday, but back down to the same 189 today. I actually feel like I can have a legal weekend. We will go to happy hour tonight but I plan on either 1 glass of wine or a 64 calorie beer. We have a birthday party to go to on Sunday, but she usually has chili so that won't be too bad and I will definately not have cake. I will watch my portions and keep you all in mind.

Nursedee, I'm sorry about your BS. Remember the more you stay on this plan, the better your numbers will get. This is your health you are talking about and you are important, so think about you first. My problems are a mixture. I have 3 herniated discs in my nexk and 3 in my lower back. I have been so long without an epidural (due to our stupid insurance) it just kept getting worse. I think the RA plays a part also as my hands hurt and are swollen. I'm just a walking mess. Funny thing is, I'm one that doesn't believe in being sick. I never miss work or anything b/c I am sick. So I don't know why i have to have all these problems. Just my cross to bear I guess. It could be a lot worse I'm sure. I think you are the one that uses Truvia? If so, is it any good? I like Splenda but heard Truvia is better for you.

Cyrstle, good tip. I know buring Christmas I sat down with a bag of potato chips and before I knew it I had eaten almost the whole bag. I was embarrassed and hurridly put them away. The rest of the bag is still in my pantry and everytime I open it I want them, but then I am proud that I can pass them up. I hope Dh eats them soon though. ha-ha. Do tell how to make the cabbage rolls. I love all those ingredients so I would probably like tem. Do you shred the cabbage and cook it and then add it to the beeff mixture? Good job on just having nibbles. Nibbles are ok, they keep you from binging. This is a way of Life, not a diet and those things come your way sometimes. So as long as theys tay nibbles, you are fine.

Scrappinhut, glad your trainer did not kill you. It will take a day or two to work out the soreness. My DD says that the first 5 minutes of cardio machines is the worse. Once you pass the 5 minute mark, the pain goes away. I think I will do every 2 weeks when I start back. I was doing once a week. My problem with once a month is I forget how to do the exercises. What kind of a cardio plan did they give you? We used to have a recipe board when we were onthe other site, but not sure if we got to keep them or not. Maybe one of the others will know.

Toni, be careful going out tomorrow. It sure is cold here. Of course corn is one of my favorite things and anything made from it especially cornbread. We got about 3" of snow, how about you?

Might get to check back later. Off to log in my food. Have a great weekend and everyone report on
Old 01-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #48  

I just got this tip and thought it was a good one.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” – Albert Einstein. If you truly want to shape up, you have to change your life.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #49  

Me again, I got another good tip I thought I would share.

Now that the holidays are over, start to leave a few bites on your plate at every meal. Science now proves that our stomach's capacity actually shrinks when you start eating less, meaning you can train yourself to feel fuller by eating less over time. All it takes is leaving three to five bites on your plate every time you eat. It all adds up, and you might feel more energized instead of stuffed and bloated at the end of your meal.

Funny thing about this one is a co-worker does this every day. No matter what it is she eats, she leaves at least one bite on her plate. She is very slim. Interesting.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #50  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Hello

Boy is it cold. We knew the cold was coming but you can't really prepare physically for the sudden drop. My pipes are frozen. I'm hoping they defrost later today but my guess is more like tomorrow. Good thing is we keep water on hand for hurricane season and it is coming in handy. I'm so glad that freezing temps aren't a major part of our winter.

Solly...I'm so glad you are feeling better. Loved the tips this morning. The cabbage is really easy. I just cook the onions, throw in the meat. Once it is brown I throw in the shredded cabbage and then the other ingredients cook until tender. I ate way too much but it was so good. I cooked a pound and a half of hamburger and two heads of cabbage. There was just enough left for lunch today.

Scappinhut...hope those legs feel better soon.

Toni..I agree with you about not being too hungry at dinner. I've found if I have my snack close to the time I cook I sample less and eat less at dinner. Except for the cabbage. I tasted plenty and ate plenty.

NurseDee...hope you are having a better day today.

((Everybody))

God bless,
Crystle
Old 01-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #51  

Well we were going to go out today for our anniversary but its just to cold. Also there's lots of snow on the ground and car. So guess it will be a stay at home day. I like being nice and toasty. Had oatmeal for breakfast. And eating has been good.

scrappinhut- I guess it will take a while to get the soreness out. Keep up the good work. I don't know where all our good recipes went to.

Solly- I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. I had two glasses of wine on Wed. night. I'm hopeing that will go all right with my healthy eating plan. We'll see when I get on the scale next Wed. Thanks for the tips. They're good ones. The cod sounds good along with the brown rice.

Crystle- Sorry about your pipes. We're keeping the water dripping in the kitchen and bathroom to keep ours from freezing. I think I need to get some apples to eat before dinner so I will feel fuller.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #52  

Solly - I love that tip!!!

If anyone finds the recipes post please let me know.

It is so cold here!! We are just not used to this. I hope everyone is doing good today.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #53  

Default Good evening

Howdy ya'll. Just finished a bowl of piping hot chili. That wouldn't have been bad if I hadn't of had saltines with it. It just taste so much better that way. I basically didn't eat until dinner so I think it will be okay. I don't recommend skipping meals it just works out that way sometimes.

Scrappinhut...I completely understand about the cold. We hit freezing yesterday and won't hit above freezing until tomorrow. Not common for my part of Texas at all.

Toni...sorry it was too cold to get out. I hope ya'll have a lovely time together at home. Happy Anniversary.

((Everybody))

God bless,
Crystle
Old 01-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #54  

Just had veggie soup for dinner, will probably have some fruit in a bit. Eating has been good.

Crystle- We're not perfect so we can't expect to eat perfect. You're doing good. And you want to eat how you're going to eat when you are done losing weight. Making it a lifestyle.

scrappinhut- Its weird cold here too. Brrrr. I've got a blanket over me because there seems to be a chill in the air in the house.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #55  

Morning Ladies!!

I have been busy but I have been OP and working out. I shoveled my driveway for exercise and walked on the treadmill Thursday. Friday I just shoveled the drive way again. I.m getting ready to start my wash and Saturday cleaning. I will walk on my treadmill today.

NurseDee- I just want to say stay with SugarBusters you will see the difference in the long run. I have diabetes also and it has made a difference in my life. I take Metformin. Some years back I was doing sugarbusters and excersing like I really need to and I was off Meds for 2 years. It was me who got sloppy again. I know how hard it is to continue to watch what you eat but with diabetes we have to. You can do this. I am wishing you the best,

Solly- I am glad you got your shot and thanks for sharing tips with us.

Crystle- Thanks for the tips and sharing your recipes.

Scrappinhut- You weather sounds like our in the windy city. I can only imagine how you feel (Especially when you are not use to it). Stay warm.

Toni- Happy Anniversary. Hope you get to go out later this weekend and celebrate.

Well it is cold here and I plan to stay in today. Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by Mercee; 01-09-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #56  

I am making turkey chili for dinner tonight.

Last edited by Mercee; 01-09-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #57  

Default Good afternoon

Pipes are still frozen but it is a little over freezing outside so maybe just maybe it will stay warm enough long enough for them to defrost. If not that is okay we'll continue to carry water to the house and go visit someone with a shower...LOL

We all know this diet tip but it is an excellent reminder.

Fast Facts: Time-Saving Diet Tips
Pre-package your foods. Make your healthy eating regimen convenient. Set aside some time during the week to cut up fresh vegetables and fruits. Cut up celery, carrots, apples, strawberries, grapes and other diet-friendly snacks and place them in individual bags. When you're pressed for time, all you need to do is reach in the refrigerator and grab one of the ready-made portions.

When I'm foraging at night this tip would really come in handy. There are less prepared foods in the house so less handy snacks. Packaging some of them for that last snack of the day would be very helpful. My ultimate goal is to not eat after 8 o'clock. We stay up until about 2 so I give myself that extra hour to stop eating. It worked really well the first time around. Now to just get the right mind set and brake some bad habits.

Mercee...I've heard shoveling snow is very good exercise. Plus with you walking you are doing GREAT.

Toni..thanks for the reminder. You are so right. In the long term I will not ever not eat a few saltines. I just need to have good self control and balance.

((Everybody)) Remember each of you is a gem and a blessing. You are the best you there is.

God bless,
Crystle
Old 01-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #58  

Happy Saturday all. Hope we all get to stay in and keep warm. Its just to cold to get out there in this. I just had a nice bowl of oatmeal for breakfast/lunch. I had such a hard time wanting something last night. It was to late for anything but I couldn't tell my body that. I was glad to make it through without giving in.

Mercee- Whoa shoveling that drive way would indeed be exercise. You sound like a busy beaver. I need to be thinking about doing some laundry. You're doing super on the treadmill.

Crystle-We stay up late too. But our downfall is we sleep in late. I would like to get up and get around a little earlier. That was a good tip. I need to get me some snacks packaged up and washed ready to eat. I'm getting where I hate to cook more and more. I need stuff I can grab.

Thinking of having polish sausage with sauerkraut, brown rice and broccoli for dinner.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #59  

Sounds like everyone is cold. Bombed out last night and had pizza and cake but back on track today!! Not gonna beat myself up!! I can't be perfect all the time.

CountryMom4Him: Chili sounds soooo good!! And sorry about the pipes!

Toni48: Happy Anniversary!!

Had Crawfish Ettoufee w/ Brown rice for lunch. Yum!!

Movie night with Hubby tonight. Have to relax! The kids have been a handful lately.

Stay warm and toasty everyone!!
Old 01-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #60  
Determined Newbie

S/C/G: 383/321.4/150

Happy Saturday, Ladies!

The board is busy and that is so good for me. It's great to see everybody here.

It takes more explanation than I have time for but I have made some changes in my patterns and activity and it looks like it's paying off. I don't know if it's that or that I started Metformin again on Wednesday but I got weighed today (my usual w/i day) and I'm down 5.5 lbs! You could have knocked me over with a feather. I'm now off my bp diuretic (2 days now) and my bp is normal. I was sure I'd have water weight but I guess the changes are taking care of it! I'll try to clue you in soon. I am OP though, doing pretty well. I think having my almonds in the afternoon really helps. I'm hopeful again

Mercee - yes, it sounds like we have something in common with our diabetes. I was able to get off meds in 2007. It was a relief. I was on Metformin, too - it made me so physically ill for 4 straight years that I was in pretty bad shape. Now I have a better understanding of the pharmacological mechanism of the drug, and all of the problems I was having were likely caused by my high-glycemic carb consumption while I was taking it. So far, doing metformin and SB has not been a problem and it may just be the magic cocktail! I certainly hope so. I, too, have gotten very lazy about my diabetes and thankfully I think we've caught it before major damage took over. My A1c went from 6.2 up to 6.9 and I started to get scared that I'd completely lose control again. I'm so glad SB came along!

Scrappinhut - I'm jealous of your physical determination!! I have so many pounds to lug around still that it's too much to be too active yet. You keep going as great as you are!! You are awesome and your payoffs will be great!! Don't worry about the blip on the radar. Life happens. I just hope you enjoyed it! How on earth did you get crawfish ettoufee? Did you make it?? If so I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear how you did it. I love crawfish but I've never had the gumption to make it at home. Happy movie night with the DH!

Solly - I'm so sorry for your myriad of health problems. Pain is the WORST. I'm glad that the cortisone gave you some relief. Of course, losing the weight will lessen *some* of the pressure on your disks and that can only help. Yes, I use truvia and I really like it - especially because it's natural and I think maybe the fact that Splenda isn't might have something to do with weight gain. I know I held a lot of water when I used a lot of it. There have been some studies that show people who consume a lot of artificial sweeteners (and for SURE Aspartame) can often gain weight even if they reduce their caloric intake! Sounds like a self-assured business, huh? Anyway, because I'm a nurse I have lots of truvia sample packs that have a 75 cent coupon in them. If anybody here would like to try it, send me a private message with your address and I'll send you a 2-pack sample. It's very sweet, but it's granular like sugar and I think it's a more natural taste - but don't use too much or you will not like it. Half a packet is like a tsp of sugar. See what you think! I love your suggestion about leaving bites on the plate. I think it may be true. The only one in our family who does that is my 8yo and she's beanpole thin - the rest of us don't and aren't! I just don't have the courage to try it yet but I will work on that one.

Forget about a small snack before we cook, Crystle - I need to have one before I sit down to this board and read your recipes!! They make me so hungry! I want to try the cabbage dish for dinner tomorrow night. Sounds scrumptuous!! Thanks also for the great hints and suggestions.

Toni - belated happy anniversary! Hope you're staying warm. It's 19 here right now! We had a couple of inches of snow yesterday and it's so cold and dry it squeaks when you walk on it. (I always liked that. ) A skier's dream.

I hope if others are lurking you'll say howdy. I haven't even met you yet, Bob. And Ellen, I'd love to hear from you, too - and everybody else out there! Hope it's a good day. Keep the water flowin' and stay warm!

Dee
Closed Thread