General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #196  

Darn Bob that sounds really good. You have the best darn recipes.

Kris- Quit eating those darn cookies!!!

Dinner was good. I also had a couple of clementines for dessert.

NurseDee- I hope you're feeling better.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #197  

Hello everyone! Yesterday was a rather busy day. I met my older daughter and her husband for lunch at Red Lobster. It was lovely...they paid! I got to sit next to my granddaughter...she will be one in a week! She was in a very good mood and laughed and smiled and waved at everyone who walked by. In addition to the lovely company, I did very well on what I ate. I had broiled flounder, a salad, and a small baked potato. I did not eat any bread...no gluten for me! And the salad dressing they brought on the side and I only used half. I ate all of the potato, but since I don't eat any bread now, I think its ok. My blood sugar levels were good so it was not too bad.

Dinner last night was an oven roasted chicken and green beans. I made a veggie stuffing with a small amount of gluten free bread in it and an egg replacer. It turned out ok, but I gave most of it to Tom. The chicken was the smallest fryer I have seen in a long time! Less than three pounds! It was perfect for the two of us for dinner. After dinner, we went to the store to pick up a few items and spent 15 minutes walking the perimeter of the store before picking up our items. That makes three nights in a row we have walked after dinner, and I think it has helped a lot!

It is cold and rainy again today. I am so ready for some sunshine! Yesterday, I was appalled that it was warmer in my hometown outside Chicago than it was here!

I am trying to get into the habit of posting more often, so I hope to be back soon.

TECH: Just say NO to those cookies! Have her make a kind you don't like!

BOB: That was a drive by reciping...stop and chat!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #198  

Well I slept in late and I'm all mixed up. Haven't even had breakfast yet and its after noon. Need to set my alarm and start getting up sooner. Hopefully tomorrow I'll start walking the treadmill. I've been really talking to myself lately about getting some exercise. LOL Thawing out pork chops for dinner. Just went out on the porch and the river is really up here. We've had rain the past couple of days.

Ellen- You did great at Red Lobster. Thats really good the potato didn't raise your blood sugar.

Guess I'd better get busy. Happy day.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #199  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Hello

Good afternoon. Yesterday was a pretty full day. Robert and I went to the flea market and a little resale shop. We didn't find anything but it was nice having quiet time together. We also went for a late lunch at a cajun hole in the wall. I was only good because the boudin balls were too smushy to eat..LOL So I ended up eating a salad, and some awesome yellow squash. I did sneak two of Robert's onions rings. He had the every thing fried, taste so good plate. Dinner I kinda bombed on because I had spaghetti but at least it was only a serving. Today has been much better on the eating front.

Earlier I hung a couple of loads of clothes. The wind was blowing pretty hard so they dried pretty fast. The whites smell wonderful. There is nothing like bleach and fresh air to perk up the towels. I should be out there walking but I am tired. We watched little man until after 3 last night. By the time we got home and in bed it was almost 4:30. Speaking of little man he was too precious. Britt told me he wouldn't probably wake up except to eat and wouldn't even open his eyes. Well, he had other plans. I was patting his back trying to settle him back down and he figured out it was me and started grinning. I couldn't help myself so I chuckled. Then he chuckled back at me. He woke up only for about 15 minutes, but they were wonderful. Four ounces later he was out until right before they came home.

Today's tip is from one of my email devotionals but I thought it really applies to weight loss and exercise:

Priorities
You will never "find" time for anything. If you want time, you must make it.

Often times we hear ourselves suggest that we need to "find" time to get together with old friends, to get into shape or to do something you have been putting off for a long time. Make a commitment to yourself today that this week you will "make" the time. While you're at it, make it pleasing to God.

Ellen...what a fun time with the kiddos. I think potato from time to time is actually good for you. There are nutrient in potatoes that are good for us. Keeping the potion small is key. I especially like the little red and white ones. I think I read some where they are better for us than the baking kind but not 100 percent sure on that one. Tonight we are mixing cauliflower with potato to make smashed potatoes.

Toni...Does it flood where you live? I hope the river goes down soon. I hope you are talking to yourself about exercising you are being pushy.

Tech...I would LOVE a cookie right about now. I've been craving something sweet. Thank goodness there are none in the house. You make great choices when you went out. WTG

Bob..thanks for the recipe. I can't get enough recipes.

NurseDee...hope you are feeling better. ((hugzz))

Solly...hope you too are feeling better. ((hugzz))

Scrappinhut...hope all is well with you.

Mercee...sending good thoughts your way.

God bless,
Crystle
Old 01-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #200  

Evening! (twice in one day! oh dear! )

I made a very large pot of chicken veggie soup today. I put lots of chicken in it, zucchini, green beans, lima beans, lentils, carrots, celery, and even some corn. I was planning on sharing it with a couple with a new baby. I have enough for three meals for us, and probably two for the couple. Tomorrow I will make some muffins to go with theirs and run it over there. I can't wait to see the baby! This couple has had a heartbreaking few years...they had several miscarriages and so my heart is ready to burst with happiness for them!

COUNTRY: That is so true about 'making' time. I need to remember that. You know they say, failing to plan is planning to fail. I need to make a commitment to be more regular with my quiet times too. Thanks for the reminder.

TONI: I hate when I sleep late and my schedule gets all out of whack. This book I am reading right now talks about how VERY important breakfast is...and I feel very convicted. I am trying to get up and eat breakfast every morning - even the ones I go to Water Aerobics at 8! I hope it becomes a habit. Keep talking to yourself about that treadmill! Even if you only do ten minutes a day, you will benefit! It rained and rained here...I hope the river is not a danger for you.

Last edited by Ellen; 01-24-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:06 PM   #201  

Oh my gosh I'm so hungry. And its 10:00 and to late to eat anything. Its so hard to keep from cheating, so I came here to post instead. I may need to add in a salad to make my meals more filling.

Crystle- I love to go to flea markets. I haven't gone in years. Any luck finding a treadmill? Lined dried clothes are so nice, especially sheets.

Ellen- How nice to take the couple soup and muffins. I'll bet they really like it and it will be so welcome. We live on a hill so the river never comes up here. Its beautiful to watch though.

Well back to my water. Wish it was bed time.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #202  

Good morning! I just finished breakfast. I had two gluten free, egg free waffles with peanut butter on them and a big mug of green tea. I am going to the ten am water aerobics class so I have a little time to kill before I have to get ready. I am feeling really sleepy, and its tempting to go crawl back in bed. If I hadn't had those waffles, I would! I am hoping the green tea will have enough caffeine to keep me awake until I can go jump in the pool. I am never sleepy in the pool or after class. Its such a great workout! I will check in after I get back!

TONI: Next time that hunger thing happens to you, try a mild ten minute stroll. It would stimulate your system and turn off the hunger messages.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #203  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

MOrning ladies

Weekend was filled with lots of basketball and lots of football. Even though I sat around most of the weekend, I still don't feel good. It comes and goes all through the day.
I'm a huge Colts fan so I am pulling for them, but I also really like the Saints. It should be a good game.

Ellen, you did great with your eating. I need some of your willpower. Glad you had a nice dinner with your GD. That is such a cute age. Glad your BS is so good. Keep up the good work.

Crystle, Nothing like that little angelic face grinning up at you. It sure melts your heart. I think that is how they get us to do everything for them. My little one sure knows me. He always breaks out in such a hugh smile whe he sees me.

Nursedee, hope you are feeling better today.

Toni, is it snowing there. I am sick of rain. Now they are calling for snow fluuries all week. Come on summer. Gotten nthat yet today?

Tech, Stay out of the cookies or don't let he make them. I'm sure they are not good for her either. Wasn't see watching her diet also a while back?

BOB, thanks for the recipe, but come on and post. How about those CATS!!!! #1

Mercee, hope you had a good weekend. I need some of your motivation to get to the gym.

Sorry my posts are short, I just don't have much umph! I will try to get back later. I am trying a new recipe for dinner. Crispy chicken fingers. Low fat, I will let you know.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #204  
Addicted to potato salad!

Important discovery. Trigger foods. One cookie leads to a couple dozen. They're just the best cookies she's ever made...shortbread cookies and they tasted exactly like the ScotTeas from Girl Scouts which are about my favorite cookies in the world. The kind that go so well with a cuppa coffee or tea. So, yesterday I had cookies for breakfast and cookies for lunch. Dinner was a baked chicken that was so yummy. I cooked it in a little marinade of EVOO, poultry seasoning and a splash of white wine and stuffed it with carrots and onions. I also roasted some potatoes which I had just a little of and some corn and green beans cooked together.

This morning, I weighed myself and have stayed the exact same as Friday. Will move the ticker on Wednesday Weigh In, but the scale says 193.

Breakfast was:

1 cup Kashi Go Lean crunch
1/2 cup of 1% milk
1 green-tipped banana
coffee with splenda and 1/2 n 1/2

Lunch will be decided when I get to it.

Funny thing today, it is raining cats, dogs, pigs and ferrets today. I told Shelley to check the TV to be sure there wasn't any problems with schools today, just to be sure. I hear OH...MY...GAWD! Kyle's school is closed today because the basement's flooded, but the rest of the district is open, so Shelley had to go in. She wasn't pleased, to say the least, but I got a good laugh out of it. So, I have my lovely Kyle home with me today and we'll probably watch a movie and play some games.

I have been helping Shelley with a health project on counting calories and I'm thinking of doing a hybrid version of Sugar Busters where I'm counting the calories, but making sure the food involved is SB legal. For instance, they make no bones about eating white bread, but I'm going for the stone ground wheat bread...sticking to green-tipped bananas...steering clear of bagels, etc. I'm goign to try and stick to 1400 calories for now. We'll see...

Solly...I was on a fence with the vikings/saints game until I saw all the dirty late hits on Brett Favre. I just think a game should be won on skill, not on playing dirty pool. When they say there were a lot of hits on Favre, but no sack logged, it says something, to me. So, toward the end, I was really rooting for the Vikings. But now that I am mad at the Saints, it will be fun to watch the Colts mop the floor with them. I'm a HUGE Payton Manning fan. I even have his jersey! So, I'm happy to see him going to the Super Bowl again. I'm goign to cook up a feast of SB legal pita chips and home made salsa and have a little ole party that day!! GO COLTS!!

Ellen: I am so sad for you with the added diet restrictions. Its like, "here, here's your celery...its all you can eat now!" I can't even imagine what a gluten free, egg free waffle must be like...but if anyone can do it justice, its you. I used to take water aerobics back in the 90's when I lived near a Y. After, I'd use the weight room. It was nice. Try this if you have the time...two empty milk jugs and go in the deep end. With one jug in each hand, spread your arms our like you're being crucified. Then lift your legs in front of you so your toes come out of the water, then as fast as you can, push them out behind you back and forth. Then go side to side, then try log rolls. Its fun and so good for you tummy!

Toni: When I get hungry late at night, i drink a cuppa tea...decaf! or guzzle a huge glass of water. And i get to sleep as fast as possible.

Crystle: I can't wait to hang my wash out. There's nothing like it. Good going at the Cajun dive restaurant. I would be completely to the deepfried platter. you did well to only have two onion rings.

Okay..I have to go get my bra on so i can do an exercise video. i was really enjoying the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, but its not On Demand anymore...so I'm Walking away the Pounds with Leslie instead.

TTFN!!

Don't forget to drink your water!!

Kris
Old 01-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #205  

Well I made it through without eating. Thank goodness. I had water and I had tea but nothing seemed to help. Going to visit my sister tomorrow. She had gastric bypass and has lost allot of weight and I can't wait to see her. Then we're going to a healthy mexican place to eat. I've already picked out my burrito its made with all veggies and is in the 300 calorie range. You can also tell them what to put on the burrito and they'll make them to order. So I could add chicken if I wanted. But the one I'm having has different kind of squashes grilled.

Ellen- Have a good time at water aerobics today. Wish there was a place around here to do that. I can't imagine what a workout you get. I can't even imagine how you would make that waffle. But I'm with Kris if anybody could make it it would be you.

Solly- Today is the day I'm going to walk on the treadmill. I got it all ready last night. Now I wish DH would get out of the bed so I could use it. No snowflakes yet but we're supposed to get some today. Can't wait to hear how the chicken comes out.

Kris- Wow I could not have those cookies around. Homemade cookies are my weakness. I can't even have a store bought cookie in the house. You should lose by Wed. for sure. I'm scared to get on the scale till Wed. cause it would cause me grief if I gained. I'm hoping so much for a loss this week. Sounds like you have a plan in mind. Here's wishing you luck on it.

Well guess I'll go and finish my coffee and wait for lazy DH to get up.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #206  

Well, breakfast was 545 calories. is that a lot? lunch, a yogurt, 1/4 cantaloupe and an apple is much lower at 180 calories.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:16 PM   #207  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Good morning

Breakfast was delicious. I had asparagus with chopped tomato. The guys had fried eggs and cheddar cheese with theirs. The cauliflower/potatoes came out great last night. One head of cauliflower, five medium potatoes cooked until tender. Added some olive oil maragarine and garlic. That was it. My little one still forgets there are potatoes in it. I over indulged in the meatload but man oh man it was good. I am a meatloaf lover.

It is totally beautiful outside again today. Most of the week is suppose to be near 70 I think. Should be able to walk some if I can get motivated.

Email tip:

The Sleep and Weight-Loss Connection
Sleep easy. Many people aren't aware of the correlation between getting enough rest and losing weight. One study shows that lack of sleep disturbs metabolic and hormonal process, increasing hunger and making it harder to drop those extra pounds. Another study showed the less people slept, the more they weighed. Try to get seven to nine hours of shut-eye a night.

Toni...hang in there. I'm not expecting a loss this week currently because the scales are actually up a smidge. We can't let the numbers get us down. It's about being healthy as much as it is about losing weight. But I'm sure you'll see a good number. Have fun with your sister. The food choice sounds great.

Tech...have you tried the white wheat with your family? My son is a not way wheat and I can give him the white wheat. I'm guilty of sticking with the white for them just because of the cost. Same thing with tortillas. They make the unhealthy stuff so much cheaper.

Solly...sorry you are still feeling poorly. ((hugzz))

Ellen...wished I lived closer, you stew sounds wonderful. What a blessing you are to those around you sharing meals. You don't see a lot of the younger generation doing that any more. I hope that those you bless will continue the tradition.

Gotta run but hope to be back on later.

God bless,
Crystle
Old 01-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #208  

Hello everyone! Water aerobics was great! It usually is.... I LOVE it.

I came home and heated up a bowl of soup and ate some gluten free flax seed crackers with it. It was pretty good, but I don't feel very satisfied. I want to try and wait a few hours and have a small snack. Maybe some carrots, and celery.

Thank you all for those wonderful assumptions that I made the waffles myself! They were Van's frozen...they carry them at my grocery store. They are wheat free and egg free, and very easy to fix for a quick breakfast. I don't like to do it too often though, because I know they are high glycemic. After class, my blood sugar was still on the high side from them.

COUNTRY: I wish you lived closer too! We could walk together! Our church has a web page to sign up to take meals to folks needing it. Its really fun to be able to sign up that way. In the last two weeks, there were three babies born and one adopted! And its NOT a big church! (but in a few years as these kids grow up..haha!) We also have a man who just started chemo for a lymphoma in his abdomen that is not operable. There are plenty of opportunites to minister with meals...I try and sign up as often as I can since when my kids were born, folks brought us meals and it was such a help!

TECH: Good advice I have read is this: For breakfast eat like a king, lunch like a commoner, and dinner like a pauper. So if you are eating 1400 calories a day, 500 of them at breakfast seems reasonable to me. I big breakfast sets the stage so to speak, and gets the metabolism woken up and running.... In water aerobics, we use bouys, or water bells, and do those shoot throughs. I bought a pair of the water bells when I was going to the gym for water aerobics a couple years ago, so I use them in my swimming pool in the summer. It is a great workout! And the water resistance really helps tone ALL your muscles and burn more energy.

TONI: Good for you not eating! Next time you are faced with that situation, just remind yourself you CAN do it! On the water aerobics, check into it! Does your county have an aquatic center? Mine has four or five...but we are pretty urban. Most areas have something. Are there any YMCAs around? You really would love it, and its very good for you. Its low impact, but really burns the calories. I have NO idea how they make these waffles..they are very light and crisp. I sure wish I had the recipe.

SOLLY: I am sorry you are not feeling up to snuff. I hope you are over whatever it is soon. Not having umph is not like you! You always seem to be on the go. I am not so sure I have much willpower. Not eating eggs and wheat just really curtails what I CAN eat. That is why I fudge on the corn and potatoes some. How old is your GS now? We are having my granddaughter's one year birthday party here. My daughter wants me to make the cake. I said yes. At least I like the idea..so it won't be a chore, but I can't have any of it at all! Its going to be hard....

Ok, I am off to find a good muffin recipe and get this show on the road!

Old 01-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #209  

Just had a snack:

Cheese - 120 calories
granola bar - 180 calories

i have to get some SB legal granola bars.....and lower in calories.

I'm left with about 400 calories for dinner. Looks like it will be dominated by a salad...
Old 01-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #210  

Woopie I did it. Walked on my treadmill finally. I'll try to do a little more later this evening.
Closed Thread