A new YOU for the New Year? January chatter

• I know it is the age old New Years resolution, but I think its a great one if you can get past the first couple weeks (or days). Any one want to try out this plan or recommit to the plan for the New Year with me?
  • YOU: On a Diet: January chatter
    Happy New Year everyone! Time to make a fresh start, and DH and I plan to get our weight under control following YOAD again. I'll be refreshing my knowledge of the plan and recreating my shopping list. Then we get to clean out the pantry - eek!

Anyone else following YOU: On a Diet right now?
    Cindy
  • Yep, I'm in - I've started a "january chatter" thread for us to talk in.
    Cindy
  • You on A DIET VS REAL AGE
    what is the difference?
  • Well, I didnt do the plan right today, but I did ok. I ate lots of veggies and reduced snacking and sweets. It wasn't the You diet plan, but it wasn't terrible holiday eating either. Hopefully Ill get on track tomorrow. How did you do today?
  • I am in...I need to finish the book but it looks very doable. My weakness is my very unsupportive hubby who I work with and go to lunch with which he wants to eat out everyday.
  • Ok, I've merged the two threads we had going so that we can all be on the same page. In case you haven't figured it out, I am the moderator of this section of 3FC, so I have a few "magical powers" like that! My name is Cindy, btw, I am 46, married, no kids, and live in upstate NY.

vchavezpie - the Real Age site is run by Drs. Roizen and Oz, the authors of all of the YOU: books, which include YOU:On a Diet. The Real Age site has a quick version of the YOAD plan for those who want to get started, but haven't yet finished the book. There is even 2 weeks of menu planning, with recipes, to get you started.

Check out realage.com for a site overview, and http://www.realage.com/the-you-docs/you-on-a-diet/ for the YOAD home page.

As for my progress thus far, I am taking some baby steps to get things back into control. We've been working on purging the house of our holiday goodies - yes, some have been eaten, and some have been thrown away. I did break out my Wii Fit today, and did 1/2 hour on it to start out.

Tomorrow I'll hit the grocery store to stock up on staples to have on hand. We've pretty much totally converted to a number of the YOAD-compliant foods from the first time we did this three years ago. We only eat whole wheat bread and pasta, only brown rice, and have stuck with our Smart Balance products for peanut butter, butter, mayo and oil. So that part is easy for us. Oh, and I still am using my low sugar/natural ketchup, spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce as well.

I still need to weigh in and measure my belly tomorrow morning - something I'm not looking forward to.... But, I'll just keep in mind that this is the starting point, and things will only get better. My ultimate goal is to lose 75 pounds, but I plan to tackle it in smaller increments - either 10 or 25 pound short-term goals.
    Cindy
  • I was reading back through some of the old posts, and found this link to a YOAD grocery list provided to Amazon.com:

http://images.amazon.com/media/i3d/0...for_amazon.pdf

Also, don't forget to check out our grocery list sticky at the top of this forum page as well.
    Cindy
  • I'm new today. I was looking for some help because I need to loose about 100 pounds. I gained waaay too many after I had the baby. I can't seem to find the brakes to my eating/snacking. If I could just prepare my food in advance I would do great but I get much to lazy. My other reason for wanting to loose the weight is so I can keep up with a very active 20 month old. Hopefully the support on this site will help me push past my laziness or my just plain giving up.
  • Welcome jigglefree - we're glad to have you here with us!

I think we call could say that it's lack of planning that has contributed greatly to our current situation. And likewise, it's often just because I'm to lazy to do what I need to....

I'm happy to report that I just cooked up my steel cut oats for the week. And, it's all in individual serving Gladware already! That's definitely a step in the right direction for me!
    Cindy
  • Monday thus far...
    Off to a good start - had my steel-cut oats with an apple for breakfast, late in the morning, then just had tuna with mayo and pickle relish (need to find one w/o any hfcs in it!), on WW crackers for lunch.

Making my grocery list up as we speak - need to figure out my best options for snacks and incorporating more fruits and veggies. Fruit will be easy - I can just do a fruit smoothie for my evening snack - that with the apple for breakfast will be good. Veggies are another story - definitely something to work on!
    Cindy
  • Hi.
    I just started the 3 hr diet today.
    I gained over 25lbs per baby and with four kids...I need to drop the weight.
    So far so good. It seems similar to YOAD, so I would really like to wish good luck to everyone!
  • Well hey gals, let's not let this forum closing stop us from continuing on in this thread. Do take the time tonight or tomorrow to copy any information you want from the "sticky" threads at the top of this page - the grocery list one is handy, as is the "99-second version" of YOAD. I've already cut and pasted them into Word documents for myself.

This thread will just get moved to the general diet area, so we can keep chatting about YOAD, just as others chat about their plan.

I feel pretty good about my week - it wasn't perfect, but it was WAY better than I've been in ages. I know the weight I'm losing is water weight, but that's ok - I'm less puffy than I was last weekend, and ready to tackle being even better on this plan!
    Cindy