Non Traditional Breakfast Options?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi! I was wondering if anyone had any non traditional healthy breakfast options out there? A little info first, I used to rarely ever eat breakfast. I simply would not be hungry in the morning and then I'd overeat terribly at night. Now after making some changes, especially incorporating exercise, I'm hungry at the times of day when I should be. The problem - I'm not a fan of a lot of breakfast foods. Eggs especially don't settle well with me unless they are boiled. So far I've been eating a low calorie or whole grain piece of bread with peanut butter, a peanut butter and banana smoothie, or a fruit smoothie - but I need help with more options, especially for protein. Plus, I work full time and not a morning person so I rarely cook in the morning. Any tips or recipes would be helpful!
  • I eat a traditional breakfast, but there's nothing saying you can't eat the same things you eat for lunch and dinner. A sandwhich, some baked chicken, whatever. I'd recommend cooking the night before or cook on Sunday for the whole week, then heat it up in the morning. That would solve your time issue.
  • umm.... cottage cheese or string cheese for protein. OR Greek yogurt!!! Make sure its GREEK THOUGH! It has, literally 15 grams of protein per yogurt cup. Also, try eating salads....it sounds weird, but once you get used to it, nuthin hits the spot like a good brkfst salad!! I like to make mine sweeter, by putting dried fruits (like raisins, cranberrys, trail mixy stuff) and nuts, like almonds and walnuts. Cut up a banana, whatever, and then a little bit of something like a raspberry vinagrette, or make your own dressing with a fruity yogurt.....
  • Completely not my thing, but I had a roommate in college that cooked up a huge batch of soup (complete with little meatballs) and warmed up a big bowl of it for breakfast.

I spent months on a ship where breakfast options were (a) eggs with meat of the day, (b) cereal, or (c) breads with cold meats and cheeses. I pretty much always went for c.

ETA: Oh, and on the smoothies... I used to do a protein/fruit shake in the morning, tossing in a little ground up oat flakes (I keep a container of them ready to go). It was a very tasty and filling breakfast.
  • I usually eat hard boiled eggs and a piece of string cheese or cottage cheese and an apple. Pretty simple and fast since I keep hard boiled eggs in the fridge all the time. I don't like doing dishes, so if I can eat without dirtying a pan, I'll do it!
  • Yup, try dinner for breakfast. No reason you *have* to ever have traditional breakfast. Soup, a sandwich, reheated leftovers, rice with chicken.
  • Fresh chees with yogurt is nice
    Yogurt with some fruit in it - like cherry and artificial sweetening
    Mixed fresh apple with mixer - ad some cinnamon
    This is great topic, I need some ides to!

If you need something sweet - froze the fruit yogurt in stead of ice cream!
    It has less calories and its harder to eat because it does not melt so fast...its great idea, try it!

And - I am not sure about dried fruits - they are high in calories!!!
  • how do you do banana smoothie? just add milk?

here in Europe we dont do smoothies often so I am not sure what do you mean by that?
  • I don't like eating in the morning so usually I make a shake, I have a chocolate/greens protein powder and mix it with a little almond milk. Then a couple hours later, I might have some hot cereal or even something like miso soup.

The idea of eating something heavy soon after waking up kind of makes me nauseous.
  • I used to be the same way. I couldn't stomach food in the morning. Exercising regularly finally broke me of that. I exercise in the evenings after work and I wake up hungry enough to eat every morning now.

These are great tips! I actually have greek yogurt in my fridge too! =) Keep them coming!
  • Quote: how do you do banana smoothie? just add milk?

here in Europe we dont do smoothies often so I am not sure what do you mean by that?
    Hi Nomena,
    Where are you in Europe?

What I do here in the Netherlands is take 200ml karnemelk or buttermilk and add one or several of the following:

Frozen or fresh berries (blueberries, raspberries)
    Sm banana (you can cut up and put in bags in the freezer)
    Almond or peanut butter (just a teaspoon)
    Muesli or just oats
    All-bran
    Walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds
    Sometimes I even throw in a few coffee beans!

Blend your ingredients with a stafmixer and enjoy.
  • Hi Pinky, I am from Croatia, cross over the Italy :-))) Tx for the info and I like your English!
    I think smoothie is a great idea in fact! And, you know, I think Americans have so many types of yogurt (Greek??) and so many kind of food that I am not even aver of it. I am so happy that we dont have all that because I think I would have a 500 kg! But in a last decade all the shopping malls are also here in Croatia so I am not really keen on that kind of living. I preferred it the „old way“leaving in cafés and museums not shopping centers but...its called progress. Dont get me wrong everyone I am just nostalgic. Or getting old? Hihihihi

Ok. I have bought some yogurts and I have apples and did make some chicken soup with carrots and i ate that. I think I will be beneath 1.400 kcal today. Yeeeeah!

And – just to brag a little bit – I went swimming for 1 hour and cycled in a gym for 20 minutes! And you know what? All that cycling burned only 110 kcal – not even a yogurt! Ah!
  • Nomena - In the US, yogurt normally isn't strained like you'd find along the mediterranean (and elsewhere?). Our yogurt just isn't as thick. In order to get thick, strained yogurt we either have to strain it ourselves or buy it already strained which is what we call Greek yogurt.

Also for me, it doesn't matter how hungry I am, I have difficulties eating in the morning. This morning was no different as I was starving due to an active day yesterday but didn't feel like eating something substantial until around 11.
  • nelie, tx for the info! i was just wondering wat way greek yogurt, hihihi.

ok, than greek yogurt is what i eat too :-)))

i think that breakfast is kind of hebit. if you dont have it, you can get use to it. i read somewhere that it needs 3-6 weeks that something becomes habit and i think i needed 3 weeks for a habit of breakfast.

and the key thing was that i changed my minde what breakfast is. i allways thought that is something what you have to cook for and need a lots of time and ideas and so on. now I know that you need only 5 minutes, it does not need any cooking just thinking in advance.

and as someone already said - banana is already prepeared, you just have to grab it :-) as I usually do.

any other ideas for breakfast?

this topic reminded me to pick some cherrys from the froster for the morning. i will put them in a greek yogurt :-) and put sam sweetining in it and i will feel full!

great topic I think and I am so delighted to have American friends :-) its coooool :-)))
  • About the yogurt - more and more yougurts here are also becoming not strained. I dont like that because they dont fill you in and have almoust the same calories as greek yogurt and sometimes even more....i think reading the labels is shoking somethimes for me :-)