3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General Diet Plans and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions-10/)
-   -   Lean for Life (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/15792-lean-life.html)

Cara 04-29-2002 04:34 PM

Lean for Life

Is anyone doing Lean for Life? I just started it yesterday and I feel great. I would love to hear from others who have tried it. It is a low carb/low fat plan. Very restrictive initially and supposedly very effective.

Cara

Cara 05-02-2002 12:26 PM

I just posted this in the low carb forum - although this is not really a low carb (more of a restricted carb) plan:

Hi everyone! I lurk on this forum just about every day, and I wanted to share this program I found. I had lost 30 pounds on Atkins that I have since gained back and was having trouble getting back in the low carb groove - primarily because I missed fruit and yogurt and because I constantly resorted to large quantities of cheddar cheese for snacks. I've found a lower carb ketosis promoting plan that allows fruit and yogurt and which limits proteins to sensible, lean ones such as turkey, tuna, eggs, lean beef etc.

I first found out about Lean for Life on the atkinsfriends.com message boards. There is a group there doing Lean for Life.

One women lost 25 pounds in the month of April. It apparently is not uncommon for folks to lose 5 pounds a week consistently.

The basics of the plan are as follows:

"Basically, it goes a little something like this...
First, like with Atkins and I think even more than Atkins, you need to buy the book - that's where all the psychological stuff comes in which I think is what keeps me sticking to it, even when I'm hungry. Plus it gives you your foods and stuff.

Basics - Days 1-3 protein days. 6-12 approx 100 calorie protein snacks that are low carb, low fat. Examples - 4oz cottage cheese, 1 hb egg, 2 egg whites, 2.5 oz tuna, 3.5 oz fresh fish.

Days 4-7 - Same, but at B, L, D add - one veg, one fruit and 2c lettuce.

Day 8 and each week thereafter - repeat days 4-7 with a protein day once a week.

Important things to note
1. You can't "save" food if you want more in one meal.
2. Meals should be 4-5 hrs apart with snacks in the middle
3. You should do moderate (walking is fine) exercise 30-45 mintues, 5 days per week.
4. You must drink 90 oz min water or other calorie free bev per day - coffee is fine."

I found the Lean for Life book at Borders - there is a website: www.leanforlife.com.

Just wanted to share this - because I think this plan is a sensible Atkins compromise - and because it appears to be so effective and inspiring. You're trading fat for fruit - suits me!

I know I sort of sound like an advertisement.....but I just wanted to share.

Cara

shelly57 05-05-2002 10:58 AM

Lean for Life

I am not aware of Lean for Life, but I am also a former Adkins dieter. I lost 25 pounds and kept it off for 2 years but I am stalled and starting to creep up again. I am also a Hypoglycemic so the low carb, high protien Adkins was actually benefical. I have realized how many calories I take in on Adkins and have decided there must be a better way. I am considering Dr. Shapiro's Picture Perfect.

Cara 05-08-2002 02:57 PM

Shelly57 - What does Dr. Shapiro's Picture Perfect involve? I am hypoglycemic too and need to follow a relatively low carb plan in order to feel better -- but the high fat diet I ate during Atkins didn't make much sense to me.

Cara

Forgiven 05-08-2002 05:03 PM

I have insulin resistance& PCOS. I have been told by Doctors that I should follow a low carb plan for that. The problem is I also have something going on with my liver, and it is said to eat lower protein for this problem. I was intrigued by a low carb plan that you can have some fruit and veggies on, so I bought the book last night. I have not had a chance to read it all yet but from what I read it sounds like it makes sense. Do you know places out here that Lean for Lifers gather to share? Thanks for bringing this plan up :)

Cara 05-09-2002 02:42 PM

Forgiven - In the Bulletin Boards at www.lowcarbfriends.com go to the Challenges forum. There is a LFL thread every day and a whole group of women doing Lean for Life. Many of them have had great success - low carb and low fat is not easy - but its very effective.

Cara

Forgiven 05-19-2002 01:53 PM

Cara, how are you dong on this plan? I will oficially start tomorrow. I am going to check out that site too, thanks.

Cara 05-30-2002 02:59 PM

Forgiven - I'm afraid I fell off the wagon. Haven't been on any plan for the past 3 weeks and I'm feeling more and more disgusted with myself.

How is the Lean for Life treating you? I checked in with the group on atkinsfriends.com doing the LFL challenge and they all seem to be doing well.

Lean for Life seems to be a very effective, fast, program. If you can stick to it. I was starving and bored.

I spend more time reading diet books - trying to get motivated.....and I never actual follow a plan longer than a few days. My poor husband can't keep track. He's always asking "can you eat this"? I can't even keep each diet plan straight.

Cara

Forgiven 06-09-2002 06:25 PM

Cara,

I know just how you feel. I too read all the diet books all the time. I try to get started......I do start actually, I just never finish. I too am not dieting at this time. I want to. I tell myself I will start one tomorrow..I am not sure what one though, as I said I have many books. Adkins, Lean for Life, Body for Life, CAD, Richards food mover, Zone, Dr Weil, WW. I have a long journey to be even near a goal weight. I dont know why I dont do it, why I cant seem to stick to a plan?? If you figure it out let me know Ok :)