General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 168/150

Height: 5'5"

You can find Wendy Chant's book, Crake the Fat-Loss Code at Borders Bookstore. It will really help explain why we eat what on what day and it's not hard to understand like the Womans World article.

Blessings,
Cindi
Old 10-30-2008, 05:20 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 168/150

Height: 5'5"

Since I am new I wanted you all to know that I am married, a mother of 3 and grandmother of 7. My husband & I love living on the Gulf of Mexico, working with youth and families, enjoying golf (regular and mini) and sharing life together.

Looking forward to getting to know you.

Blessings,
Cindi
Old 11-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #48  
trytryagain

S/C/G: 155/148/125

Height: 4'11"

hello all! i bought the book, too, in order to find out the rationale behind the plan. it makes sense to me. my husband and i are now on day 5 of the 2nd week. he has lost (we think - he didn't weigh when he started) 8 or 9 pounds. i have lost about 5. the first week was hardest, but we stayed on it. by the 2nd week i was not craving sugar or carbs but he still was. i rearranged our days the 2nd week because the 2nd day of the 2nd week we were going to a halloween party. so we used the 2nd day as our carb up day and ate 1 slice of pepperoni pizza, several chicken wings (including a few breaded ones) and had 1 glass of wine in the evening. also had a few carbs during the day. we did a carb down day the day before and the day after. then 2 baseline days - that's what we're on today. i plan for us to do 2 carb down days before starting week 3 and then trying to follow the plan as written. my husband cheated a little yesterday -- went to a bar to watch a game and had a hamburger on a bun and 2 alcoholic drinks. i have stayed faithful. i'd like to see myself losing some more pounds this week or i will get discouraged.

what's the longest any of you have been on this and what's your results? i need more motivation! thanks!
Old 11-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #49  

Hi!

I'm Laura Orlowski from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I too saw the articles in Woman's World and First magazines. I purchased the book from the bookstore. It really makes a lot of sense to me. I also purchased the bootcamp DVD, which came along with a recipe book, a daily log book and a book that summarizes the plan on a daily basis, from the website.

I haven't started yet...need to get to the grocery store and stock up on essentials.

How are things going for everyone else on the program?

Thanks,
Laura
Old 11-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #50  
trytryagain

Hi Laura! After you've used it, I'd love to know if you like the recipe book and DVD. I've just been using the book, using quite a few of the recipes and inventing a few of my own. Is the DVD exercises or advice on following the diet? I have not yet gotten into an exercise routine and I know I need to do that to see more results. Maybe tonight . . .
Old 11-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 165.6/165.6/145

Height: 5'5

Teachermom,
Just wanted to say that I
saw in the post you were to
have surgery today and I hope
and pray it went well and you're
back on your feet again REAL
soon.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #52  

I started the program. I didn't follow it closely but I did lose 5.8 lbs.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #53  
trytryagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolie View Post
I started the program. I didn't follow it closely but I did lose 5.8 lbs.
Yolie -- that's great! My husband and I are on day5 of week 3. He's lost 12 or 15 pounds (he didn't weigh when we started so we're guessing a little). I have lost 6 or 7. We have followed the program pretty strictly. Need to add exercise. I did exercise once last week. Gotta make that a habit.

Keep up the good work!!
Old 11-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #54  

Quote:
Originally Posted by trytryagain View Post
Yolie -- that's great! My husband and I are on day5 of week 3. He's lost 12 or 15 pounds (he didn't weigh when we started so we're guessing a little). I have lost 6 or 7. We have followed the program pretty strictly. Need to add exercise. I did exercise once last week. Gotta make that a habit.

Keep up the good work!!
Wow...you guys are doing great!
Thanks for the encouraging post. Yeah...I have probably exercised once a week. I need to add more exercising too. Will keep you posted on my progress.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #55  
trytryagain

hi everyone! the big news at our house is we bought a new scale -- a MODERN scale! it is digital, also gives you fat percentages. it told me this morning that i weighed 149.2! i have always had trouble losing to below 150, so i'm excited about that. i did NOT like the fat percentage read out, however. time to exercise - seriously.

we have followed the diet pretty strictly. today is the 6th day of week 3 for us. i do all the meal prep because my husband cannot get the hang of this. his part is to not eat unless he's told to : ) and to eat ONLY what he's told to. i've figured it out pretty well, now. i've used some of wendy's recipes, which are all very good, and i've invented a few of my own. also i did buy vanilla protein powder although my favorite uses are not for shakes. the shakes do not seem that tasty to me, even when i add flavored sugar free drinks. carb up days still seem incredibly sinful. for instance, tonight we are going to have pizza. we have had 3 or 4 carb up days by now and we're still losing so i guess it's ok. this is very motivating because i've tried just about everything and i feel like i've finally found the right plan for me. i am never hungry. i don't even miss sugar anymore! amazing!

here's an idea for breakfast on a baseline day when you're eating your carb at breakfast: i make french toast using the food for life bread (either ezekial or raisin cinnamon). for one serving of two slices: i use one egg, one egg white, mix up about 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder w/ 1/2 cup of water, add that to the egg and egg white, mix it up really good, sprinkle a generous amount of cinnamon into it. i spray a coated pan with "pam", and i let the bread soak in the french toast batter longer than i do regular bread because it is denser and takes longer to soak up the batter. i fry it and i use "cary" brand sugar free/fat free syrup on it. you could also use sugar free jelly on it. very good! i have 2 pieces and i am satisfied.

i'd love to hear how all the rest of you are doing and if anyone has any hints. for us the key has been to just stay on track and keep plugging away. after the first week, it is much easier.

linda
Old 02-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #56  

Default Wendy Chant's 'Crack the fat loss code'

Hello, i'm new here and i wanted some help with this diet, i ordered the book because it was not in store, so now i have to wait 7-10 days for it to be delivered, and i'm in a hurry to loose some weight before feb14, because that day i'm getting married, and i have read that for some of you it worked, even if it's only water weight by now i would like to loose a few pounds, so i wanted to see if somebody will be willing to give me at least 2 days meal plan i can follow while i wait for my book, i have the one in first, but if i eat the same stuff for 7 days i think i will quit after day 3 so at least 2 different plans will help me to not get bored so please if anybody can help me i will appreciate it.
Thank you
Old 02-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #57  
trytryagain

Default menu ideas

Hi! I'm at work so don't have the book with me, but I'll give you some ideas off the top of my head. The first week is the hardest because you're doing almost no carbs. I don't know what the meal ideas are in First so maybe these will be duplicates:

Breakfast ideas: omelets made with 1 egg and 2 or 3 egg whites. i usually use 1 egg and 2 egg whites. my favorite is to stir in about 2 oz. of cooked lean ground beef, cook the omelet and just before folding it over add 2 or 3 oz of cheddar cheese. it's a recipe in the book that she calls a cheeseburger omelet. of course, you can use other variations on the omeelet such as using swiss cheese and a little cooked chicken, or cooked bacon and cheddar cheese or whatever. if i know i'm going to be eating breakfast on the run i boil some eggs the night before and i eat 2 boiled eggs and a 2 oz piece of cheese as i drive to wherever i'm going. you can also fry or scramble eggs and cook a couple pieces of turkey bacon or a couple of turkey breakfast links to go with it.

Lunch ideas: i'm big on eating salads with lettuce, sliced radishes, sliced cucumber, sliced green pepper (no tomatoes at this point- they have carbs) and then adding either cheese or meat or both -- sometimes deli sliced turkey or chicken, sometimes pieces of cooked chicken breast, sometimes pieces of cooked steak (often leftovers from the night before). dressing of your choice. otherwise you can always eat any cooked meat and then microwave some frozen broccoli or green beans and have a simple meal. since fat isn't a concern the first week, you can put butter, margarine or cheese on your broccoli after you cook it -- makes it taste better.

Dinner ideas: quite a bit like the lunch ideas. basically you are going to eat protein and vegetables, but you can choose a different protein every night -- such as salmon, chicken, lean beef, turkey, etc. Wendy says you HAVE to eat broccoli at least once a day which I usually do. But if you've eaten broccoli for lunch then i'd eat a side salad or a different vegetable for dinner. very important is not to think that starchy vegetables such as corn, peas, beans, potatoes count as a "vegetable". those are really carbohydrate dense because they are starchy and you are trying to stay away from a lot of carbohydrates, especially the first week.

Snacks: 2 oz piece of cheese; 1/2 cup of cottage cheese; deli sliced chicken or turkey rolled around a slice of cheese; 2 boiled eggs or 1 boiled egg and 1 slice of cheese.

Basically, after the 1st week you'll be adding in more carbs on various days. It's extremely important the first week to drink lots and lots of water. at least 8 glasses a day and if i were you i'd drink more than that. you will be going to the bathroom all the time, but that's a good thing. you can easily lose 3 to 5 pounds the first week if you follow it religiously. remember, no fruit at all (that was a hard one for me) because fruit has carbs and is full of sugar. also, eat NO sugar at all and have NO alcoholic beverages. it's sort of tough, but you have a big event (or should i say huge?) that should motivate you.

good luck, let me know if you have questions. i have been following this since late october, with a sabbatical during christmas which set me back. i'm 57 years old and i don't lose weight easily due to a wacky metabolism. however, i lost 10 pounds before christmas, gained about 4 back at christmas time, and in the last 2 weeks have taken that back off and i'm going down again. if you are younger you'll lose much faster than i did. also, if you haven't been dieting your entire life (like i have) you'll lose faster because you won't have screwed up your metabolism!

linda
Old 02-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #58  

I havn't read other replies, but to be honest it sounds
crazy
unhealthy
and totally awful for your relationship with food. No listening to the body, just deciding it needs protein/carbs at X hour and in Y proportion!

Gimmicky stuff does NOT work. Maybe you'll lose water but etc etc. Not really.

Sorry

Last edited by CousinRockingChair; 02-03-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #59  
trytryagain

Default Science behind Chant's diet

You'd have to read the book before making such a generalized statement. Over the years, I have followed Weight Watchers (reached goal at age 40 in 1991), Diet Center, Nutrisystem, and Form You 3 (I was a counselor there). Those diets are essentially low fat, no sugar, portion control drawn from the entire food pyramid. They worked for me, but sort of slowly. I always found that if I ate less breads/starches than I was allowed on those programs I lost faster.

Chant's book is not as crazy as Atkins where you eat low carb all the time forever. You do have a very low carb first week, but after that you are eating moderate carbs and trying to eat unrefined carbs whenever you do eat them. You also have carb up days when you can eat pretty much an unlimited number of carbs. After you've been on the program for several weeks you also have a "free" day each week where you can eat anything your heart desires. Chant explains the science behind all of this, with lots of footnotes to scientific papers and studies -- it is very well researched and has been proven to work for many people. Personally, I think it works best for people such as me who have or are close to having metabolic syndrome, who are basically carb addicts. In many ways it is not unlike weight watchers or any other program -- in this case you are just monitoring your carb intake more than in those other programs. Also, you are trying to eat protein at 3 or 4 hour intervals which I know from my own reading keeps you full longer (it takes longer to digest protein) and prevents you from losing weight from your muscles instead of from your fat stores.

Bottom line, this is not a crazy diet. It is sensible and based on good science. You do track what you eat and when, but that's basic to any good eating plan.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #60  

Default thanks trytryagain!!!

I have bought the book and started 4 days ago. It seems that you would never go hungry.
I have to thank TRYTRYAGAIN, you have been the one that has helped me the most in how to work the program and what to eat. I am also 57 with a very busy business and I find it very hard to lose wait, especially because I travel 10 days of each month. I will try to post often but I do value your posts.
Closed Thread