General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 09:44 PM   #1  

Default Merida....going into the Spring of 2002

Starting a new thread....hate when it gets to 3 pages.

Well Linda right now it seems to be just you and I. It sounds like your body is beginning to adjust to the medications. I always hate to begin to take new medications and you had to begin two at once.

Wish you lived closer with all that energy. My house needs a good cleaning.

I have been losing very slowly (or not at all) and had to tweak my exercise program a bit. Tonight I went and got weighed on the same scale where I first got weighted 14 months ago. It is official tonight---have lost 100 (and a half) lbs. I still have a ways to go and since I am now losing at the rate of 1/2 lb a week, it will be another year before I have lost all. I am convinced, though, that it is better to lose slowly.

Keep up the good work and take care of yourself.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:45 AM   #2  

Default whooo hooo!

Hey everyone...Sorry I have been absentee lately but I have been on 2 vacations (San Fran and North Carolina) and very busy at work.

Nik- Congrats on your 100 lb loss! What a great feeling that must be!

I had a nutritionist appointment today and by some miracle I lost 4 1/2 lbs in the last 2 weeks. That is the best I have done since starting Meridia and I consider it a bit of a miracle considering I was visiting friends in North Carolina and was not eating very well- although I was good about working out.

My clothes are finally fitting again so I feel a bit better when I look in the mirror. I have decided I can officially declare success when I lose another 10 lbs- which will put me back at my lowest adult weight. So far I have lost about 20 lbs or so- I think about 10 of those on Meridia. Only about another 50 or so to go total (but I will keep with the mini goals for now!)

I had been reading a bit on another site about some of the recent health concerns/scares. I spoke with my nutritionist today and I don't feel like I have anything to worry about. My blood pressure is perfect and I have even had a better time sleeping lately. I also starting taking my pill at around 11am- this has helped take the edge off a little better later in the day.

I am going to work on doing a food journal....haven't been very good with that lately! My nutritionist suggested a few different diet websites that don't charge that might help with tracking. Have any of you tried any you like?

Off to bed...I will check in again soon...
Old 03-22-2002, 09:20 AM   #3  

Hi, Would you mind if I joined your thread? I started taking Meridia on Wednesday. I have about 60 pounds to lose and just can't seem to do it on my own. I have tried WW points but I get so stressed trying to keep track and then when unexpected plans come up I panic. I really like to just eat healthy, whole grains, protein, fruits & vegetables but my hunger was unbelievable...I find that I'm still really hungry on Meridia but I haven't cheated in 2 days so it must be doing something...I can't explain it but it's almost like nothing really appeals to you so you can make better choices...like chocolate isn't as appealing...I don't know...I did a bad thing and weighed myself this morning and I'm down 2 1/2 pounds...not bad in 2 days...keep this up and I'll be at goal in 60 days (ha ha)...I know that won't be happening!! Well I hope to get to know you.

Kim

183.5/181/125
Old 03-25-2002, 03:58 AM   #4  

Hi...
I've been a "lurker" forever and have finally decided to post! I have just restarted my Meridia. I loved it,but had to go off of it for a while due to some other health problems, and regained some weight
I was doing great before I had to go off. I had almost passed the dreaded 200 mark. I wasn't much over 200, but oh the joy in seeing that scale read 199!
Well, guys wish me luck....this has been the only thing that has worked for me,so I'm hoping to see 199 soon.

MauiMamma
218/ist goal 199/goal weight 150-160
Old 03-25-2002, 06:03 PM   #5  

Hi Mauimomma,

I was wondering if you had headaches when you started Meridia...I've had a slight one each day that I've taken the pill. I've only been on it since Wednesdaypass so I'm hoping that they will pass. Do you feel that Meridia changes your appetite? I'm still hungry but I haven't had any junk so I'd say it's working for me...I'm glad that Meridia worked for you and I hope you see 199 very soon
Old 03-26-2002, 12:12 AM   #6  

Marie, welcome back. I forgot you were going on vacation. You did such a super job. Can;t believe you lost that much weight while you spent time on vacation. I have consistantly gained on every vacation I have taken.....12 lbs while I was in Hawaii. You are really working on this weight loss.....I do journal sometimes and find it very helpful but time consuming. I know people who used some of the tools on line but know for me I would never use it---too lazy.

Welcome I'm losing it and MauiMomma. Glad you are both joining us. Headaches are one of Merida's side effects. I had slight ones when I first began but they went away. The side effect that lasted the longest for me was dry mouth but that too has disappeared.

MauiMomma, it is wonderful to break that 200 lb mark.....feels wonderful. You will do it again---you are not far away from 199. I was in Maui in November. It is a bit of heaven and look forward to returning some day.

Keep up the good work everyone.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:12 AM   #7  

Thumbs down

Hello,

I have read a lot of your posts and I thought I would contribute...

I just started taking Meridia today..In Australia we call it reductil, but I will refer to it as meridia..

I am nervous, I don't know what to expect...

Can anyone tell me how long before I start to notice it working?.

How long until the side effects ease?..I have been dizzy today and feeling a bit off...(probably because of dizziness)..

When is the best time to take it?, I've taken mine in the morning to avoid sleeplessness...is that right?

I am concerned about my blood pressure, but the doctor seems OK with it so far. I have been on Xenical for 12 months and we are trying this instead as the Xenical seemed to lose its effectiveness..

I am especially interested in the antedepressant side to it....

thank you.
Old 03-26-2002, 06:42 PM   #8  

Hi glasseyes:

I was also dizzy the first 4-5 days but that stopped...I also didn't have a headache today for the first time so hopefully that side effect has stopped too. I take my pill at around 8:00 AM and that seems to work for me. It's been 6 days and I finally saw the 170's for the first time in months...I am going to weigh myself tomorrow because that will be one week...after that I'll only weigh on Wednesdays...

Nikolaus - thanks for the welcome!

Kim

183.5/179.5/125
Old 03-26-2002, 10:01 PM   #9  

Default meridia side effects

Hi to everyone who is new! I have been on the Meridia for a few months now and most of the side effects I have felt initially have subsided a bit. Initially I felt very "zippy." In general I don't often feel like that except for when I am rushing around alot (days like today!) When this happens I am often so busy that I haven't eaten- which in my opinion can add to the edgy feeling!

I had quite a bit of problems with sleeping and had been taking my pill around 9am to help with that issue. That lasted about a month (the sleep disturbance) and I haven't had too many problems recently- although I have noticed that I sleep less overall now. A few weeks ago I started taking my pill around 11am. I found that when I was taking it earlier I had no hunger in the morning and early afternoon (when I didn't have problems with portions to begin with) and was often starving in the evening. 11 seems to be a good time for me. It takes the edge off for my evening meal and hasn't kept me from sleeping. Yesterday I forgot to take my Meridia and took it around noontime- and last night I had a horrible night sleep! I am thinking that perhaps that the extra hour made the difference!

I haven't had any increase in blood pressure, have had dry mouth the whole time (have been drinking alot of water and chewing lots of gum!) I also have had a few bouts of constipation (yuck/ouch!) I eat alot of fiber and have tried to be good with the veggies but the few times it has hit me I have been in some MAJOR pain.

While I felt like I was less hungry initially, my best losses have come recently. Maybe I just think less about being on the medicine and have adjusted to some of my new habits.
Old 03-28-2002, 02:59 PM   #10  

Aloha All,
Thanks for the welcome
I had very few side effects on the meridia. I had a headache the first day and a little trouble sleeping the first few weeks. After that i was fine
I noticed that my appetite didn't neccesarily lessen, it was more like food was less appelaing and i felt satisfied with less.
Nikolas, so glad to hear that you have been to my lovely island
Mauimamma
216/1 goal 199/ final goal???
Old 03-30-2002, 02:59 AM   #11  

Welcome glass eyes (interesting moniker you have). I am glad you have joined us. I was fortunate in that I did not have any side effects in the beginning with Merida except for dry mouth. However my mouth was REALLY dry. Marie, like you I had to increase my water and always carry a bottle with me. The upside of this is that we need water....I now drink 90-120 ounces a day.

I did not feel zippy in the beginning nor did I lose sleep. I take my pill first thing in the a.m. It is only recently, perhaps since my increase to 15mg, that at times I feel hyper and need less sleep. Not bothersome but lets me know I am on a drug.

I do not know about the antidepressent effects except that Merida works by increasing your seretonium (sp?) level (feeling of well being??) And old poster once mentioned that she had been on prozac and Merida had the same effect on her but to a lesser degree. My own experience is that Merida helped me stop thinking about food. I have no experience with antidepressents but I thought that they caused people to gain weight?????

I hope you are all aware of the recent media attention that Merida is receiving. There are some concerns about its safety and depending on which source you are listening to 24-30 people have died while on Merida. If you have not heard this, don't panic. You can go to the Merida site www.4Merida.com and get their view point and hopefully there is a Good Morning America site that should have info on it since they aired the story this week Obviously, the heavier people are the more health risks they have....high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes etc.

I have been on Merida since Jan 2001 and have BP and heart checked every two months. It is important that everyone is monitored. Pay attention to your body signals....don't ignore chest pain. They interviewed a woman whose husband had died after going on the 15mg pill (yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa) and they asked her if he had any warning. She said that he had been having chest pains for two/three weeks before he died.

Again, I am not trying to scare anyone (I am still taking Merida) but just wanted to make sure that you were all aware and did your own reading.

The Easter bunny will be here on Sunday. For holidays, I try to plan out what I am going to eat or not eat. There are some foods that my family only makes on Easter. I will indulge in these and leave the lasagna, ham etc alone. Also I think the Easter bunny is bringing me a choc. cream egg which I plan to eat and enjoy.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 03-30-2002, 04:01 PM   #12  

Angry My experience so far

Ok, it's been 5 days now, I've just taken pill # 6...

The decrease in apetite I have experienced so far is phenomenal. I won't say I am not hungry, because I still desire food, but I only really want the food that is good for me. I have been eating really well, and I don't want it ALL the time!!

Prior to starting meridia, I was constantly thinking about food, sweet things, chocolate and chips, takeaways and junk food. Now I find myself rarely thinking of it at all. This has been the greatest freedom I have known in a long time. There is nothing worse to me than being trapped by your own thoughts!.

I read that meridia was originally developed as an ante depressant, then they discovered that it actually helped people to lose weight, so it has been marketed as a weight loss drug. I sort of wish they'd taken the ante depressant slant, as it might have been cheaper to buy then!!. So far, I think it is really helping me as I suffer depression which is made worse by being overweight and constantly tired...

I need to know how much exercise you people are doing. One
thing I really struggle with is exercising...
Old 04-02-2002, 09:07 AM   #13  

I just wanted to see how everyone was doing on the Meridia? I've been on it 13 days and have lost 6 1/2 pounds. I am happy with that. The only side effect I'm experiencing now is constipation. I haven't had any candy or sweet since starting and I was a person who ate junk all day. I just started doing 1/2 hour each night on my treadmill. Well I hope you all are doing good too...

Kim

183.5/177/125

Started 3/20/02
Old 04-02-2002, 04:19 PM   #14  

Hey, I'm Losing it....
I am doing good so far. Down about 4 lbs in a week, I know that will slow down ,but it still feels great
How is everyone else doing???
MauiMamma
Old 04-03-2002, 10:32 PM   #15  

Hi everyone. Sounds like you are all doing well. You have all lost quite a bit of weight. It does feel good to lose a lot but just remember it slows down.

I have to tell that to myself over and over and over. I have lost just a bit over 100 lbs and it has taken me 14 months. The weight is coming off slowly now so I only get weighed every few weeks.

Now, glasseyes, please do not scream when I tell you how much I exercise. I try to exercise every day but usually 6 out of 7 days for a minimum of 45 minutes to one hour. There are many days, that I don't want to do it but I feel better afterwards. The endorphins (sp?) help elevate your mood.

Keep up the good work everyone. Check in...I am so glad to have company.
Closed Thread