General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

The pic of the herbs were after I had cut alot off. Me being me didn't think to take a pic til after. I'm sure you got an idea what it's like.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #47  

Hi coaches:
Things are fine here today so far. I am going to pump up the tires on my bike and hopefully take a ride if I can work out childcare and the tires don’t have holes or anything (I am assuming that they are flat due to sitting for so long in the garage…).

BillBlueEyes:
Yes, why plan what we eat ahead? I cannot imagine planning more than a day ahead of time either…even planning a day before, it is hard to know what I will WANT to eat. I do sometimes make a switch on the fly..it is a goal of mine to become good at that since that is life: balancing what I feel like eating with what my body needs to be nourished.

Barpos: Wow-squeaky clean is right! Kudos to you on your hard work! I would vote that you continue to plan your food in the morning when it feels natural and doable to do. Congrats on the good news at the cardiologist appt!

Onebyone: Big kudos for still exercising even though you didn’t feel like it! I love what you said about BillBlueEyes planning to have 2 servings being mindful.

Mesmerize: I cannot believe that you exercised when you are supposed to be bedridden to heal up! Take it easy.. I trust that you wouldn’t do anything that would compromise your recovery…. Those aerogardens are sooo cool. DD and I got some little greenhouse starter kits and are planting seeds this weekend to transfer outside in the Springtime… FUN!
Old 03-08-2008, 10:38 PM   #48  
Recovering Pizza Addict

S/C/G: 273/235/150

Height: 5'4"

My dear coaches,

I'm sorry I haven't been around much lately, but the fact is, I'm stuck. Stuck on Day 12 - Practice Hunger Tolerance. It's a very long, complicated, whiney story, but it boils down to FEAR. As a binge eater, and someone who spent many years starving herself and now has to live with a very low starvation set point (where my metabolism slows down), just thinking about skipping a meal ON PURPOSE really fills me with anxiety. I mean, it's taken me years to get to the point where I EAT all of my meals, and try NEVER to be hungry in order to avoid binge eating.

I understand the purpose of the lesson, and I know it's important (Day 11 was really helpful, actually, since I've never learned to trust my body's signals when it comes to food.) What do you think I should do? I know intellectually that it's just ONE meal, it won't hurt me, and may even help in the long run. But is it worth this intense anxiety? Should I just move on to the next lesson?

Hope one of you vets can give me some guidance here.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:20 PM   #49  

Hi Everyone,

Just a short note as now have a cold and throat feels awful. Really miss swimming-

Hafowler-my 2 cents is skip that exercise until you feel more comfortable doing it-so much good stuff to work on that not doing one of the step until later if at all is ok. I been working on Beck approach for months and still repeat stuff. I certainly have not learn to thinking like a thin person in 6 weeks but am a heck of alot better after over 6 months of practice. But still have a long way to go to gain more consistant success. hang in there and work on mastering a different step.

Heidi-you are doing so well-food plans, exercising and raising DD and teaching and losing weight. You go.

Barbpos- Keep with what is successful for you! Sound like you are doing great. I think the long term goal is to stop implusive poor choice eating which you have done,- On the planning ahead I find that I have a rough outline for the week in order to get the shopping done-I do to have basic calorie plan for each meal and have about 3-4 options in that calorie count that I can mix around the if the plan seems dull to me. I have a much greater sense of portions and calorie count that a year ago and better able to more flexable than before. One of my favorite treats is those frozen small low cal meals(under 300) which I'll get on sale and use when my planned lunch is unappealing. I always record the total calories to make sure I don't go over my total for the day.

mezmerize-Rest, Rest Rest- Pics are great. One of my favorite haunts is Big Lots-hope they make it there for a good price. The gardens looked great.

onebyone-What a great weight loss-it feel so good to see those scale go down! Veggies will get easier once spring comes and things are fresh and look so good.

Billblueyes-ouch squats! I haven't been able to such things for years-So glad you can do them. I think just plain enjoying comfort food is great- it is when used to cope with life problems that creates more problems.

Just watched Babette's Feast (from 1987) what a great gentle film -delightful watching people dealing with guilt about enjoying food too much and how they resolve it.

sue
Old 03-09-2008, 06:58 AM   #50  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches - At a buffet yesterday, I chose exactly one entree out of the four available. My usual style would have been to "sample" several, if not all, where the total volume of the samples would well exceed a sane single serving. CREDIT moi. It feels good to consciously use a Beck strategy and to feel like I've made a choice rather than a denial.

Thanks for the several responses making the key distinction between enjoying the comfort of food vs. seeking out the comfort of food to avoid feelings - a useful thought for me.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Ouch for your sore throat, cold, and swimminglessness. I never cease to be amazed at what you pull up. Babette's Feast is described on Amazon as a "delicious movie." Added it to my shopping list, sounds like a great way to experience the tension between denial and indulgence. Gotta see it. Thanks.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Yeah for getting the bike out; it must be spring where you live, LOL. Is one of those extended carriers or pulled along bikes a possibility for your DD for when you can't find child care? No doubt they're expensive, but Craig's List sometimes has bargains.

wendy (wendylan) - Waving; hope all is going well. I'm still drooling about all that SALE produce you picked up.

Mez (mezmerize) - So glad that you are home and comfortable enough to post again. Hope your healing continues so that you can get your focus back. Thanks for the pictures of your AeroGardens - they're neat! I do know the joy of picking an herb to put on the meal being prepared. Yum.

barbpos – Congrats on the good news from your cardiologist. Big Kudos for staying on track moving along to Program-day 20. I like your mantra idea; went and wrote one for myself. My take on the food planning strategy is that the value is in pre-planning; the extra twelve hours isn't a big deal. Keep doing what's working for you.

onebyone – Congrats on the 3.6 pounds gone. Kudos for getting organized and finding this thread. Kudos to us for getting so much from your thoughtful posts. And Kudos for thinking through your reason for wanting to skip your exercise and then making a choice for a reduced set, rather than total avoidance; I appreciate the demo on dealing with reality while staying the course.

hafowler – Kudos for marching forward up to Program-day 12. I'm not qualified to give advice about anxiety, but my take on Beck's Hunger exercise is that it's designed to make us aware that, for most of us, hunger goes away after a short while and the discomfort is never that great. I suggest that you note that that's her intention and move on; as mentioned by Sue, there's a lot of good stuff yet to go.

You might consider an abbreviated version of the exercise. If there's a day when your schedule forces you to eat lunch slightly later, you could record your discomfort level during that interval. My take is that this isn't necessary - just an option if it appeals to you.

Readers – “How Cognitive Therapy Works
Cognitive Therapy is based on the concept that the way people think affects how they feel and what they do. For example, let’s say you have the thought I’m hungry. If you have ‘sabotaging thoughts’ – such as This is terrible … I can’t stand it … I have to eat! … you’ll feel panicky and grab some food. …” Beck, pg 20.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #51  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Day 18

Quote:
Readers – “How Cognitive Therapy Works
Cognitive Therapy is based on the concept that the way people think affects how they feel and what they do. For example, let’s say you have the thought I’m hungry. If you have ‘sabotaging thoughts’ – such as This is terrible … I can’t stand it … I have to eat! … you’ll feel panicky and grab some food. …” Beck, pg 20.
Good Morning Coaches. I had to start with the quote BillBlueEyes posted from the book cause I did this yesterday. I found throwing away food very difficult. I could not put extra portions of the food I was having on my plate, but knew I had to throw something away so I looked around and for one meal I put the heel of one used up bread loaf and the heel of the bread loaf in use, toasted, with margarine, on my plate to be thrown away. I never intended to eat that, never crave that food, and yet to see me push it from my plate into the garbage made me feel so bad! I felt too poor to do that, to waste food, too evil for wasting food (why with all this snow out there surely the squirrels could have eaten that bread I said to myself after and then felt worse...) and for my next meal I added another bread thing that had nothing to do with the meal and I found myself wanting it once it was on my plate. I did throw it away but again I was filled with negative thoughts on my behaviour doing that. And then for dinner, which we were instructed to eat fast, I ate like I used to (very fast) and as I got up to put the dirty dish in the sink I walked past a bunch of bananas, grabbed one and shoved it in my mouth chompchompchompchomp. 4 bites all gone one after the other.Yikes! Only after I was walking into the living room did I realize I ate standing up and superfast and off plan. Wow. I preceeded that act by thinking to myself "She wants us to eat fast and I can just eat this real fast" and so I did. And I remember feeling nervous about eating fast and the whole throwing food away made me upset so for me it was a tough day over tiny things. I didn't expect any of it. Oh and it was Saturday. My challenging day. I did go out and buy an inexpensive charm bracelet full of dangly bits I don't like that I will remove and add my own as I go along. I got a cheap necklace with a skull and crossbones on it and I put that as my first charm onto my bracelet. I know, not very happy is it? but I need to be reminded this is serious, and that seemed to be the ticket... and I don't mind the symbol.

mezmerize I loved seeing your gardens. Really nice. You are doing so well! Don't be in a rush to get back to normal too fast. Your body needs time to heal properly. Be gentle with yourself you're doing great.

hbuchwald How'd your bike ride go?

hafowler I have a Walk Away the Pounds video where Leslie Sansone is showing you some variation of a some walking step and she says to the audience "if you can't do this, it's okay. You're doing 90% of it, why worry about the 10? Just keep going. Don't stop, you can come back to it when you're ready." For some reason this came to mind as I read of your roadblock.
She's right. Do not deny yourself the whole program and all the benefits for the temporary challenge of this one step. Make note that there's an issue there and when you are feeling more confident about it all you'll face it if you need to, and it'll be obvious if/when you need to. Trust yourself, trust us, trust Beck and move forward. BillBlueEyes' suggestion was also a good compromise. If through the course of your regular day you end up in the state of being hungry or missing your scheduled time take advantage and consider that "doing the exercise" and write down your feelings. Congrats on dealing with your binge eating.

coastalsue Sorry to hear you don't feel well today and will miss going to the pool... but kudos for taking care of yourself and your body by resting.

BillBlueEyes Good going at the buffet. You sounded so at peace with your choice when facing the dishes offered. You were inner directed by your foodplan, your goals, and by Beck strategies instead of dictated to by your eyes and the food in front of you. You did not toss out the window what you know to be right for you. Awesome.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:20 AM   #52  

Howdy All,

OnebyOne You are working thru many concepts and habits. throwing away food is a tough one-It does take some working thru, So good you are checking out those negative feelings-I have found it amazing some of "solutions" which my mind has me do which are unhealthy. The first step is being aware-Slowly I been making changes-but with some back sliding but never for long. Good Luck on the making all the changes. interesting charm-actually I like skulls also-really like the art around the "day Of the Dead" from Mexico.

BillblueEyes-hope you enjoyed the movie- Often intrigued with foreign movies-they seem to deal with the human spirit versus special effects. Glad you have weather the mood of denial and celebrating the effects of choice-

well I truly have a sinus infection-hope I can get rid of it without meds. I think I am going to push it and swim tomarrow if not too cold and windy. Not eatng alot but I am eating "wrong" just not up to fixing meals. plan to change that soon.

sue
Old 03-10-2008, 05:15 AM   #53  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches - Ate on plan yesterday, using my generous head room for eating out, at my potluck lunch and restaurant dinner. CREDIT moi. For using the headroom, Oh Well. I succumbed to the Sabotaging Thought I deserve a reward after I did some extra heavy duty cleanup work at lunch by eating a sample size of bread pudding with "hard sauce" standing up, although on a plate. A little off, but not a big deal, although I always avoid dessert at lunch with no problem. However, that seemed to make it OK to snatch 4 roasted, salted almonds on the fly (i.e. standing up, not on a plate). Again, strange because these are available during social hour every Sunday and I don't even note that I avoid them. That make it seem OK to have 4 more. Then 4 more. Then 4 more.

Now 16 almonds and a sample of bread pudding doesn't break my calorie allocation for the day. But eating them in my old style of stuff-while-standing was a bit disconcerting. Lessons learned: 1) The old eating styles are still in me, 2) Even if I fall into them I am able to stop, 3) It is NOT the same as falling into an unstoppable abyss - I remained on track for the day as a whole.

Alas, a lot of words for 16 almonds. But I want to expose and review that I fell for a classic, I deserve a reward, as if that were such a new idea that it didn't need to pass the am I hungry reality check.

[Looking for someone to start the discussion for Program-day 14, Plan for Tomorrow]

Sue (CoastalSue) - Ouch for the sinus infection. Hope you can get back to your beloved swimming.

Mez (mezmerize) - Sending healing thoughts.

onebyone – Congrats again on the 3.6 pounds gone and the first 5 pounds (repeated from yesterday just to keep some perspective here). BIG BIG Kudos for wrestling with the VERY hard exercise, throwing away food. You are doing great to confront it and to recognize the feelings. Please give yourself credit for countering a lifetime of worshiping the notion of never throwing food away. Be encouraged to know that I also had extra problems wrestling with this.

For me, it seemed impossible to throw away food. I discovered that I simply had never done it before. I always cleaned my plate. I saved all extra food - even if a minuscule quantity that would never be eaten. (DW sweeps the fridge of spoiled leftovers - specifically when I'm not around.) I "completed" the Program-day with some token item similar to your bread heel and kept going. It has taken me months to actually leave food on my plate to be discarded and I celebrated it here with CREDIT moi's as if I'd discovered penicillin. So, keep the faith. Deeply established feelings will take a while to loosen their grip.

Readers – “… On the other hand, if you counter your thought with ‘helpful responses’ – But it’s all right … I’m going to eat in a couple more hours … I can wait - you’ll feel in control and get involved in an activity. … “ Beck, pg 21.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #54  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Day 19 today... want to forget Day 18

Coaches
I am so glad to have another new day to do this thing. I had a rough Sunday. Major rebellion. I may need to take a mental break from Beck every two weeks or something. I just DID NOT WANT TO DO WHAT SHE WANTED ME TO DO! I just filled in the pages for yesterday a few minutes ago and I wasn't as "off" as I felt I was. Today I was glad of the checklist! What I did do was eat sitting down and checked off my food as I ate it and recorded what I ate. What I didn't do was follow my plan to a T. I just didn't. I stayed within the bounds of my prgram but I ate much more, like a meals worth, of food during the course of the day. And I definitely ate until I was so stuffed it hurt. But then I stopped eating. I think I deserve a kudos for that. It did not progress into binge eating. It didn't even progress into a pity party where I plunge into despair and roam the house looking for what else to eat. Instead I wanted to figure it out. Figure out why I did that, why I didn't stay on my Beck plan.
I think the line that says
Quote:
If you feel disappointed that you can't eat more after finishing a meal, remind yourself that it's okay--you'll be able to have a meal (or a snack if you planned one) in just a few hours. It's actually good to be hungry at times because it gives you a chance to build up your tolerance.
is a real trigger for me. What I highlighted there is the part I underlined the day before last and then yesterday and sheesh. Disappointment and food mixed together. Don't know what the problem in there is for me, but it's something. Time to pick up paper and pencil and write the thing out. Geez it feels like work today.

I haven't used the response cards properly cause I don't want to tear them out of the book (!) so I am scanning them TODAY and cutting those apart to carry around.

And a confession for Day 19 Don't deceive yourself: I haven't been counting the points for the non-dairy creamer I use, or milk if I use that, that I put in my coffee. I guess I have to. It is food going into my body... sigh again. Today I don't feel like doing this, but I'll do it anyway.

coastalsue thanks for mentioning that while working through things you may backslide but not for long. I feel this may be true with me as well. I did not throw the whole program out the windwo this weekend and I still feel extremely hopeful about it inspite of my difficulties... which in hindsight weren't all that bad. I think it's progress that I recognize that. I'm not perfect. Go figure.

BillBlueEyes I think I'm going to go and check out some of the past Beck discussions here. I think it'll be helpful to see what you and others wrote as you passed by where I am at. Almonds. A very sneaky food in my book! They add up fast and taste so good. It seems that we are all working on two levels here. The first is the structure of the foodplan we choose, and then we impose the Beck framework over that structure. If we step out of Beck we are still within the frame of the diet we're following and it takes another move to be out of that frame altogether. It's kind of comforting for me to recognize this.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #55  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Hi everyone! We're finally out from under a massive snowstorm that kept us barricaded in most of the day on Saturday. DH stopped by the supermarket on Friday, and said it was a zoo. Thought that was interesting - we knew that the storm was going to be bad, so most people wanted to stock up on food prior. Which makes a certain sense - but it was only supposed to snow until late afternoon Saturday (which it did,) and by Sunday most of the roads were perfectly passable. So why in the name of Pete would there be a general panic on Friday? If we actually inventoried all the stuff in the kitchen, pantry, and deep freeze, we'd probably have enough food to last until spring. Yeah, we'd run out of grapefruit and cheese, but somehow thinking of a bad snowstorm is enough to trigger everyone's primitive brain into survival mode. I wonder if that's the visceral reaction Bill and onebyone have to throwing away food? I've spent some time working on the intense need to accumulate stuff. Clothing, perfume, makeup, computer games, books, candles, furniture, tchoktches. So much stuff is so easy to come by - buying things or getting things seems to tap into some deep need we have for security, even when the stuff itself becomes the problem. Getting rid of it is hard hard hard! I'm now much more comfortable with it, but I still have to tell myself that it's perfectly fine to give away clothes or sell extra pieces of furniture or whatever I'm doing to cut down on the STUFF. I tell myself that I have to get rid of it in order to replace it with something better - and sometimes something better is a cleaner, saner house. Same for food. It's fine to get rid of it (the squirrels or the birds or the guys at the office will enjoy it) because I'm replacing it with something better. And - get this - I'm trying to spend more time carefully choosing every single thing I buy, rather than going crazy at Half Price Books or buying cheap shoes on eBay or whatever it is. MAN what parallels to eating! DH and I spent 45 minutes last night looking at guitar charms to make sure I got exactly the right one to celebrate getting into the 170's. I have a vision for myself which includes a few really special things and much less crap. It takes constant attention, though. Onebyone, I love the idea of a skull. Provides the last word in perspective, you know? And I feel ya on your day yesterday. Sometimes it just feels like it's so hard - have you gotten to the part where she talks about adding up all the time when you struggled, and comparing it to the time when you didn't struggle? It can be an eye-opener. Sounds like major credit to you!

Barb, IMHO you're doing great with exactly what you're doing! Sounds like you're doing fabulously and why fix it if it ain't broken? Hafowler, I understand that anxiety. I agree with these wise coaches - it's not supposed to hurt. It sounds to me like you're more than able to experience the anxiety and full range of emotional response with an abbreviated version of the exercise. How we cope with Day 12 is illuminating no matter what! I found that I overdid it and made myself crazy, which is exactly how I handle a lot of things. Anyway - sounds like you're infinitely more aware of what it's triggering in you, which is part of the point (or at least how I understand it.)

CoastalSue, I LOVED Babette's Feast although it's been many, many, many years since I've seen it. What a fabulous story. It was part of a collection of short stories that were just great. Written by Karen Blixen who also wrote Out of Africa. Hope your sinus infection gets better! I'm finally getting over the flu. So excited about getting to the end of the sick season.

Hi Bill! Absolutely fondant is for mere mortals. I make it out of marshmallows. Pretty easy although it's a fearsome mess to clean up. Credit on keeping your head in the face of lunchtime dessert and nuts. I wonder how thin people feel when that happens? Now that people have started commenting on my weight loss, my concern is that I'll stop (I look so good now! why bother to keep going?) I can't imagine staying focused and attentive when I'm no longer getting complimented on changes in my appearance. My hat is off to you and your intrinsic motivation. It may seem counter-intuitive but I find your discussions of the occasional lapses sort of comforting. It's perfectly possible to lose and maintain loss and still be the same person, working on the same issues!

Happy Monday everyone! It was powerful struggle getting up this morning an hour early - but we did it. Kudos!

Last edited by kuhljeanie; 03-10-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:25 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 226/209/125

Height: 5'2

Everyone here is AMAZING!! i love how close everyone seems and how postive everyone is even when faced with tough choices! i am so glad that i found this group. one thing that i have not done in the past is come here on the weekends, but i see that most of you do so i will too!!!
today is just day one for me. write my advantages response cards. i haven't done this yet but it is on my list of things to do during lunch. i will come back and list them here, mostly to help me see and remember. hope everybody is having a great day, will be back soon...amy
Old 03-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Hbuchwald – My doctor wants me to walk but the meds make me dizzy so I only would walk when DH was around. I cut my ½ and I was able to go it alone. While there was discomfort I was able to finish and had a slight fever that night. I think that I should have stuck to just the walking but the house needed cleaning and I feel that is where I over did it. I love those little green houses for starter seeds. I had a dog that always managed to get into the garden and dig them up or I’d end up over watering them. The only outdoor plant that have managed to make it in spite of me or my dog are bell peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers. That is the extent of my green thumb. Biking sounds like a great way to work in fitness.

Hafolwer – I understand your fear. I feel if you think this will set off a binge wait until you are stronger. Or maybe you can prepare for it just in case. Cut up lots of veggies /low cal food. Pack what foods may send you into that danger zone at some ones home or in a car of friend till you feel you are safe. Sending Will Power Dust your way.

Coastalsue – I hope you feel better. I LOVED Biglots!! They closed their store in my area and I even wrote the company a letter asking to come back! No answer. I’m sure areo gardens will be in their at some point they get lots of good stuff.

Gahundy – Welcome!!

BillBlueEyes – Kudos on choosing one.

Onebyone – If the symbol will help you then you did the right thing buying it. Eating standing is something I really can’t let slip. I found this to be a huge problem because when I let veggies slip I soon let other things.

As for me. I’ve cut my meds to ½ pill and today am trying to go as long as I can w/o them. I do plan on a 1 mile WATP. Skip housework and watch a movie. I do feel guilty planning this. I just don’t think I’ll be able to do both. I’m down another 2lbs. Which is great and scary. I see that 200lbs getting closer and am once again having thoughts that my body won’t let me go below no matter what I do. This is my main reason for walking. I want to get below and so that thought is out of my head for good. I’m pretty much eating on plan just on the bland side. I did make a lettuces sandwich (lettuce wrapped around chicken) from my areo garden. Maybe it’s me but I was so full of flavor! I’m glad you like the pictures.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #58  

Hello all,

Yesterday I fell into the unstoppable eating abyss(great phrasing BillBlueEyes)1. I was sick-annoying sinuses , 2. Stressed and mad at myself doing taxes and losing documents, 3. Had a increditable emotional day dealing with a chronic family matter-was sad, anger and guilty about the situation, Tried the old food cure to solve problems-stupid, stupid. Even as I overate it felt hollow-I knew food was not helping. I was a food jerk But I really am learning that food does not cure my emotional upheavals,-woke up knowing I need to forgive my sloppy filing system, knowing that my family member's problems are their and not my" fault" and staying fat ain't helping a thing in my life. I am getting stronger facing my own demons not believing that food will help. It was a silly half heart try to do it the old food numbing way. Anyway wrote out my food plan, record what I have eaten today and am making the health grocery list next.

mezmerize-I think skipping the house cleaning and watching a movie sounds great. It has taken me such a long time to like and need to exercise, I'll swim versus doing mundane stuff(like cleaning) if my energy is limited.

KulhJeannie-Liked your ideas on getting rid of stuff-There are so many thrift stores I have added the concept for me "that I need give the stuff a new home in the universe versus just being hidden and unused in the back of my garage. I have found as I have lost weight, I have gotten rid of alot of unused stuff also-interesting

onebyone-Like you I finding let go of old habits alot of work-I can even see myself repeating unhealthy ones even as i know the habit no longer works.I guess some of us a just like that-slow changers but we can do it -it just takes a bit more practice for us. The goal is the best and the old ways just aren't good for us.

BilBlueEyes-Glad overall you stayed with the daily plan-Got any other ideas why the "extras". Was there more than just " I deserve a break today ?" Maybe like I felt yesterday you could feel the hollowness of the food act and knew that you no longer wanted to truly retrun to the old habits-yet kind of wanted the old "comfort" mindless eating seemed to give.

gahundy-I really use the advantage cards to remind me to stay healthy when food's allure calls-it has been one of the best exercises. Good luck

sue
Old 03-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 226/209/125

Height: 5'2

Hey buddies...i am back and have made my list and several copies to keep in strategic locals.
here is summarized version of my reasons to lose weight list:
better health, more energy, less self-conscious and critical, feel better physically, be happier when i see myself in mirror or pics, able to wear more st ylish clothes, more comfy on back of dh motorcycle, look better, able to exercise without embarrassement, more fit, more in control, more attractive to others, enjoy clothes shopping more and finally feel like i have accomplished somethign important.
so there it is, out there in cyber space for anyone to read but mostly to help me on this journey to a better me.
this list will be posted on my fridge and cabinet doors, in medicine chest, on my nightstand, in my wallet and on my desk. if i even just think about giving in to the feasty beasties, i will see my list and hopefully stop!
well so far, day one of the plan and going strong!! we shall see what tomorrow brings...amy
Old 03-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #60  

Hi there friends,
It is report card season..this means that I am doing a lot of paperwork stuff and it feelsl like finals week in college. I love the term "feasty beasties"! I overindulged in dark chocolate tonight in avoidance of facing tonight's pile of work to do. I got fancy and purchased dark chocolate by Lindt that has chili pepper in it-it is nice. Reading everyone's posts is so motivating to me always but tonight, it really has pulled me back into my groove. I recorded the extra chocolate and am planning tomorrow. I also will get on that treadmill tonight after dd goes to bed. We did our bikeride this weekend and it felt GREAT. We went about 5 miles but my bike survived and so did I! I actually wanted to go further but I didn't want to push it too much-I must start small so that I want to keep coming back to it.

Tomorrow is my birthday and we will go to a great little hometown pizza place that has wonderful thin crust pizza. I REALLy want to have carrot cake and there is a bakery across from the pizza place with the best carrot cake and I will share a piece with DD so that we don't have a cake around here for me to nibble on. I am accomodating this by having a normal breakfast and then a big salad at lunchtime. I look forward to it and know my limit and am now accountable to you, my coaches. Thanks!

I love the revisit of the idea about clutter around the house and how analogous that is to carrying extra weight on our bodies. It is true. Why hang on to stuff that isn't useful to us anymore?

I am sorry that I am not identifying who shared what thought-I am a bit rushed tonight but someone did talk about how they are anticipating self sabotage because people are noticing their weight loss..why bother continuing? I am fighting that feeling that way right now as well. For one thing, when I lose more weight, soon I will not have clothes to wear...bittersweet huh? AND I went into this saying that I am doing this for health reasons and for feeling like my best self, etc... and now am getting caught up in what others are saying to me about looking good, seeming healthy, changing lifestyle, etc... it feels great and true. I also think that I need to put extra emphasis on my advantage response cards right now-they state the real reasons that I am taking good care of myself. I did print out each reason on a business size card so that I can look at one advantage at a time instead of my whole list each time. I have to remind myself that I am not in a race to lose weight and that I am not going to "reach ultimate health" and then be done with it-this is a lifelong process.

This group really is so positive and supportive. I truly appreciate all of you sharing and responding.

I will take on Day 14. I will plan on that for tomorrow-hahahaaa.

Until tomorrow, Heidi
Closed Thread